I was screaming at the TV Sunday, particularly about Antrel Rolle dogging it or being way out of position on some plays, but I didn't realize until further study how badly KP played as well. I put together a video with some key plays, below is my commentary on it.
|The safeties did not play well for the Giants against the Cowboys. Here is what I saw (Note: I do NOT know what coverages were called, obviously, these are just my best guesses as to what is going on):
1) Rolle playing too close to the line. Frozen at the snap where it wasn't even a PA pass. Dez blew past Thomas who expected help. Luckily the pass was not on target or it would have been a TD.
2) Single high safety look with Rolle over the top. ONE man goes out on a route, Kitna stares him down, Rolle late getting over.
3) Man coverage outside with two safeties deep. Kenny Phillips carries the underneath TE on a post instead of staying with the deep route.
4) Cover 2 scheme and Phillips is not mindful of Williams on the outside. In a cover 2 the outside corners have responsibility over the flats and the safety picks up the deep routes. Good play design by the Cowboys against Cover 2 tho, Witten was in the same area.
5) Cover 3 look. KP over the top with Webster. KP late getting over, but it looks like again, Witten was a concern.
6) This play is a huge indictment of Rolle in this game. Phillips blitzes, Rolle has single high assignment again. After the ball is thrown Rolle jogs up field, not even heading over to help out on the play.
Hopefully they play better against the Eagles.
Strangely, I don't think we saw a lot of Grant in the last game. The only time I really noticed him in was on the interception. Deep passes against the Cowboys
- ( New Window
On the last example, I didn't think Rolle had a chance to get there. Also, the fact that Kitna was throwing deep so much means we weren't getting much pressure on him.
The first Bryant td, Rolle made no effort to put a hit on him...he was juggling the ball, and if Rolle gave him a shot, I doubt he would have held on.....
Watching the communication between the safeties and corners, was like watching last year's defense all over again.....sad part is, Kitna telegraphed just about every deep pass by locking in on his receiver, and not looking elsewhere....
So, is this schedule like last year? 5-0 against soft teams.....this year, another soft schedule, where it's hard to assess this team.....what does it say, if for the 3rd straight season, we falter in the second half?
I posted on another site that I've been worried about Rolle since the season started. He's undisciplined.
Phillips looked lost this week, but I can't say I've noticed that in the past. I think he might have been overly concerned with Witten this week and he might have been urged to react to the TE more this week.
As for Rolle, he needs stop freelancing so much.
was reminiscent of last year! Thats how bad it was sunday.
He also took the bad route against Calvin Johnson when TT was expecting safety help.
I am sure I can find more examples, it will just take some digging.
so I assume we made a point of not wanting him to beat us. I also assume we expected more pressure which would have helped prevent the deep pass completions. However, after a while I would expect our D to adjust to how the game is flowing. We couldn't get enough pressure and the Cowboys were obviously aiming to beat us deep, we should have adjusted.
Besides, am I the only one who thinks Witten has completely lost his explosiveness? He's still a threat but not like he was a few years ago.
Let's see if they get on Rolle a little.
definitely the case on the calvin johnson TD
I'd even be curious to check back to the carolina game before halftime, I didn't take notice then but the way Rolle has been cheating down, it wouldn't shock me if he was part of the reason carolina marched right down before halftime for a TD
and dogging it. Rolle didn't have a good game, neither did most on the defensive side, but I seriously doubt he was dogging it.
Evan did not hold his feet to the fire. C'mon that is lazy reporting. I tweeted him all of the ammunition he needed, and after Rolle's comments about letting a dog be a dog, etc - Evan should have got on him for the bad game.
Our safeties were hesitant at times and took VERY bad angles to the football! I always liked Rolle, but he got away with his freelancing against Detriot, we can't have none of that, this is the strectch run 4 divisional games coming, and we play the Rodgers and Packers.
K. Phillips, is he a shell of the player that we thought we had? Just wondering...
Our safeties are going to be tested the rest of year, they need to step up and play fast displined football.
Lets go to Philly and show the nation what NY GIANTS FOOTBALL is all about-displined, aggressive, tough, team orientated and resilient.