Could this be a negotiating ploy by Reese to try and get Leach closer to the Giants price?
If Leach was ALL about the $$$ he would have signed with the Fish by now. Perhaps he really wants to play for the Giants with a chance to win another title in NY, but is hoping the price goes up (given the Hynoski injury).
Could this be the Hynoski camp trying to scare Leach away? Or Reese floating the report that he'll be ready for week one to drive the price down.
It wouldn't surprise me if the latter is the case.
going on. Hynoski is pushing to return to prevent the Giants from trying to sign Leach while Reese could be using Hynoski's recovery as bargaining power for Leach.
I love the Hyno, but how sure are we that he will be back week 1 or not "PUP'd". I think a sure thing Leach would be preferable to a possible Hyno at this point.
It all depends on the price tag.
That's what they did with all their other similar vet players. Leach will probably wait until the last minute to decide. If the Phins are really offering more than vet min he'd be nuts not to take it.
Why should he be? Team officials are on vacation. Vets like him aren't big on training camp anyway. This also allows for a market to be created for his services between now and the first week or two of training camps after the league gets back into full swing. Injuries could happen like the one to Hynoski. I think this is all a moot point anyway since I would bet he winds up with the Dolphins. Leach's agent is doing the right thing: he's trying to get as much for his client as he possibly can. This article below from nfl.com dating back to June 26th states as much:
Vonta Leach's agent: Miami Dolphins right spot for FB - by Kevin Petra
The Dolphins have already discussed parameters of a contract with him (they are currently $17,635,103 under the cap). It's probably somewhere between the vet. minimum, which for him would be $840,000 since he has 9 accrued seasons under his belt and $3 million, which is what he was making with the Ravens--who have a standing offer out on the table for him fwiw (probably for the vet. minimum) as per this article below:
Free agent Vonta Leach in no rush to pick an NFL team - by Marc Sessler from nfl.com | July 9, 2013
I'm Leach, I may be less apt to sign here if Hynoski is getting better sooner.
But I don't think Leach would have too difficult of a time beating out Hank for the job
has a standing offer of $2M from the Ravens
He just won a Super Bowl with the Ravens.
He is getting a bigger offer from the Dolphins.
If I were him, I'd play out my final days in Miami and retire in the sunshine. There's no reason for him to go to New York.
$2 M is a pretty good offer for Leach. It's probably for one year. The only two problems with him taking that are his pride (many players have a hard time putting their pride aside to re-sign with their old teams after getting cut by them in the same offseason), and the rookie from Harvard that they drafted to take his place is on the roster, Kyle Juszczyk.
Miami is a great fit for him at this point in his career. His agent is just trying to create a market for Leach, as he should.
Hynoski is improving. Just a thought...
The bottom line is that unless something changed since last month, the Giants and Leach's agent haven't had any serious talks to where Leach is scheduled to come in for a visit.
I highly doubt that Leach is going to come in for a visit unless the initial financial parameters make it worth the time and effort. He probably had no reservations about visiting Miami given their cap space and him thinking that perhaps a sweet deal was on the table.
It's very possible that Leach's agent is using the Giants to drive up his asking price. Miami, according to a report from last week, hasn't offered him a contract.
The only team reportedly with a contract offer on the table is Baltimore and I've heard it's the same deal they offered him before he was cut.
It's my opinion, based on where things are as of this moment, that Leach goes back to the Ravens. Could that change? Sure. But as I have said from the start, I would be stunned if Leach comes to the Giants.
There is only 1 offer on the table the rest is all hype
So, he's not coming here when he can play for the Superbowl champs for 2 million per.
How the hell can a team be seventeen million under the salary cap?
Having a young and untalented team is a good way to achieve that.
Miami had $5,380,246 in carryover money from last year's cap.
Philly has over $22M in carryover to lead the league (cue he "How the heck is Philly always so far under the cap?" questions!
Is the 2M offer on the table from Baltimore coming from Raven's camp or is that coming from Leach's camp?
I believe that the highest cap number the Giants ever had on a FB was $1.1M for Hedgecock in 2010. The FB spot is not one where the team generally splurges -- it makes zero sense to go nuts on this spot if the position participates in 40% of the snaps.
It was reported that the Ravens offered Leach a deal before he was cut that included a base salary reduction and a chance to make up the difference through incentives. That deal is reportedly still the one that's on the table as I can't see the Ravens withdrawing it and replacing it with a new deal.
I doubt there's an urgency to do that with "reliable" Pascoe around imo..
I would be absolutely stunned if Leach signs here. I said from the start I didn't see it happening and I am sticking with that.
If the Giants WANTED him badly enough they could afford him, given that he's still out there with no blow-away offer...But, they in all likelihood feel no need to actively pursue him, with Pascoe around to fill the bill while Hyno heals..
Knowing the Giants, they rarely pass up on an affordable option if they really covet him imv..It would appear, they feel ok with the BP option AT PRESENT
good point about hedgecock and the max $ salary pat from inside football
but it should also be mentioned, we offered leach to a 4-year, $8M back in '07. texans matched. so we value(d) him at $2M per
leach is looking for the 'strahan treatment' to sit out at least some of t.camp, which is another reason he hasn't signed. he's in no hurry as has been pointed out above!
I'd think if Leach goes to a new team, he'll be in camp fairly soon.
I'm talking annual cap hit, not average per year. I doubt Leach back then would have counted for $2m per year against the cap.
Or maybe the Giants don't want to waste their time with Leach if his agent is trying to use them to drive up the price. I find it I there's ting that 8 teams supposedly had an interest in Leach yet it looks like only 2 will put their money where their mouth is, don't you? fullbacks just don't get the big bucks in this league.
I don't believe the Giants have that much interest in Leach anyway, but my ONLY point was that if they really wanted him, they could get him, imo...
And yes, this is what Agents do..
I agree that I don't think the interest was as high in Leach. With that said, it takes two sides to make a contract happen. A team can want a guy until it's blue in the face; if the player doesn't want the team, then a deal isn't happening.
but I only thought it was originally a possibility because Leach did in fact show interest a few years ago in the Giants by signing the offer sheet. Now that interest may have waned for whatever reason, but he did show interest..
With Leach, I always sort of got the impression it was all about the money, which I can't blame the guy for thinking that way. That's why I disagree with yur theory that if the Giants want him, they'll get him. the Giants won't overspend or get into a bidding war for a free agent -- that's not the way they do things.
Leach probably wants a long term deal and Giants and Miami are probably only offering one years. I think the Giants would like him at the right deal, but no more than that.