Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Mets Chat: ST invites

DanMetroMan : 1/11/2017 2:06 pm
The Mets have invited to big league camp:

Chasen Bradford
Xorge Carrillo
PJ Conlon
Phillip Evans
Luis Guillorme
Kevin McGowan
David Roseboom
Paul Sewald
Dominic Smith
Champ Stuart
Travis Taijeron
Corey Taylor
Logan Taylor

per Rubin

No Tebow
Also included were players added to the 40-man  
pjcas18 : 1/11/2017 2:10 pm : link
who I don't think technically need an invite but might be interesting to some of us fans:

Quote:
Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 14m14 minutes ago

Players added to 40-man roster earlier this winter & invited to camp: Chris Flexen, Tomas Nido, Amed Rosario, Wuilmer Becerra, Marcos Molina
RE: Also included were players added to the 40-man  
DanMetroMan : 1/11/2017 2:16 pm : link
In comment 13321621 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
who I don't think technically need an invite but might be interesting to some of us fans:



Quote:


Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 14m14 minutes ago

Players added to 40-man roster earlier this winter & invited to camp: Chris Flexen, Tomas Nido, Amed Rosario, Wuilmer Becerra, Marcos Molina




Yeah 40 man roster are automatically in ST.
Championship  
spike : 1/11/2017 2:17 pm : link
no room for Tebow!
Starting to look  
Metnut : 1/11/2017 2:18 pm : link
like picking up Bruce's option was a mistake (in addition to trading for him to begin with). No one wants this guy and his salary is preventing NYM from upgrading the bullpen. The Mets can hopefully find someone to eat 75-80% of his salary and would make more sense to move him sooner rather than holding out and hoping teams suddenly want Jay Bruce.
I  
DanMetroMan : 1/11/2017 2:27 pm : link
don't fault the Mets in guessing wrong on the Bruce market. Teams suddenly realized players with power with major flaws weren't worth what they were getting previously. EE got far less than expected, Napoli and Bautista are going to get less (and are still out there), the superior Rasmus just settled for 1 year 5. The complaint I have with the Mets is being unable to go over their budget and worry about dropping Bruce later.
RE: I  
Metnut : 1/11/2017 2:31 pm : link
In comment 13321644 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
don't fault the Mets in guessing wrong on the Bruce market. Teams suddenly realized players with power with major flaws weren't worth what they were getting previously. EE got far less than expected, Napoli and Bautista are going to get less (and are still out there), the superior Rasmus just settled for 1 year 5. The complaint I have with the Mets is being unable to go over their budget and worry about dropping Bruce later.


Your complaint is harder to argue with but I still think it was a mistake to pick up the option and said so when it happened. For $14M, you're looking at about 2.0 WAR to justify that salary and he hasn't even hit 1.0 fWAR in 3 years and was coming off a horrific second half. Steamer projects him at 0.5 WAR.

I'm starting to get paranoid now that they won't be able to dump Bruce and not only will we not upgrade the bullpen, but Collins will feel obligated to give him ABs and Conforto will lose some ABs. No way that happens right?
RE: RE: I  
DanMetroMan : 1/11/2017 2:35 pm : link
In comment 13321651 Metnut said:
Quote:
In comment 13321644 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


don't fault the Mets in guessing wrong on the Bruce market. Teams suddenly realized players with power with major flaws weren't worth what they were getting previously. EE got far less than expected, Napoli and Bautista are going to get less (and are still out there), the superior Rasmus just settled for 1 year 5. The complaint I have with the Mets is being unable to go over their budget and worry about dropping Bruce later.



Your complaint is harder to argue with but I still think it was a mistake to pick up the option and said so when it happened. For $14M, you're looking at about 2.0 WAR to justify that salary and he hasn't even hit 1.0 fWAR in 3 years and was coming off a horrific second half. Steamer projects him at 0.5 WAR.

I'm starting to get paranoid now that they won't be able to dump Bruce and not only will we not upgrade the bullpen, but Collins will feel obligated to give him ABs and Conforto will lose some ABs. No way that happens right?


I hate to defend them but we have to remember at the time they didn't know if they could/would bring back Cespedes. I don't especially like Bruce (and clearly the league doesn't either) but imagine the uproar had they declined Bruce's option, lost Cespedes and the starting OF was say Conforto-Lagares-Granderson (real recipe for potential disaster). I'd be absolutely stunned if Bruce is here opening day, I think push comes to shove the Mets each X and another team takes him for say 7 million and gives the Mets a bag of balls type of return. If somehow Bruce is here by then, yeah Conforto likely gets screwed.
Agree, I would have picked up the Bruce  
pjcas18 : 1/11/2017 2:41 pm : link
option, and it still could work out.

but not being able to spend $3 - $5M on a middle reliever is annoying.

and worst case, the Mets keep Bruce. I know RBI's are an archaic stat to some, but he was top 10 in the NL in RBI and sixth in the NL with 33 HRs. Didn't have success with the Mets, but maybe he does this year if the worst case happens and they keep him.

Most of his lack of value came defensively.
RE: Agree, I would have picked up the Bruce  
DanMetroMan : 1/11/2017 2:46 pm : link
In comment 13321674 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
option, and it still could work out.

but not being able to spend $3 - $5M on a middle reliever is annoying.

and worst case, the Mets keep Bruce. I know RBI's are an archaic stat to some, but he was top 10 in the NL in RBI and sixth in the NL with 33 HRs. Didn't have success with the Mets, but maybe he does this year if the worst case happens and they keep him.

Most of his lack of value came defensively.


They also won't be paying roughly 1/3 of Familia's salary thanks to his suspension so being unwilling to "go over" for now really sucks.
/  
DanMetroMan : 1/11/2017 2:52 pm : link
David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 16m16 minutes ago
#Braves traded Mallex Smith and Shae Simmons Mariners for minor league LHPs Luiz Gohara and Thomas Burrows.
Have they announced a Familia  
pjcas18 : 1/11/2017 2:58 pm : link
suspension? All I saw is they're expecting "at least" 30 games.

when you say 1/3 of his salary sounds like you heard more like 50 games.

I didn't see anything official, but I may have missed it.
RE: Have they announced a Familia  
DanMetroMan : 1/11/2017 3:05 pm : link
In comment 13321701 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
suspension? All I saw is they're expecting "at least" 30 games.

when you say 1/3 of his salary sounds like you heard more like 50 games.

I didn't see anything official, but I may have missed it.


Off the record I was told the Mets are expecting about what Reyes got (which was 51). Even 30 games means 30/162 they are off the hook 19% of his salary. Rubin projected Familia to make 7.35 million, so even at 30 games the Mets would be off the hook for 1.4 million, if he misses 50, 2.24 million saved.
RE: /  
Jay on the Island : 1/11/2017 3:16 pm : link
In comment 13321688 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 16m16 minutes ago
#Braves traded Mallex Smith and Shae Simmons Mariners for minor league LHPs Luiz Gohara and Thomas Burrows.

Damn I hate to give up Shae Simmons. DMM what do you know about Gohara and Burrows?
RE: RE: /  
DanMetroMan : 1/11/2017 3:18 pm : link
In comment 13321725 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 13321688 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 16m16 minutes ago
#Braves traded Mallex Smith and Shae Simmons Mariners for minor league LHPs Luiz Gohara and Thomas Burrows.


Damn I hate to give up Shae Simmons. DMM what do you know about Gohara and Burrows?


Gohara is a big beefy kid from Brazil of all places. He's been hyped up, then downplayed and hyped up again all at the tender age of 20. Burrows was the closer for Alabama. Really nice trade for the Braves, supposedly the Mariners are going to be moving Smith again.
RE: RE: RE: /  
Jay on the Island : 1/11/2017 3:21 pm : link
In comment 13321728 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
In comment 13321725 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


In comment 13321688 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 16m16 minutes ago
#Braves traded Mallex Smith and Shae Simmons Mariners for minor league LHPs Luiz Gohara and Thomas Burrows.


Damn I hate to give up Shae Simmons. DMM what do you know about Gohara and Burrows?



Gohara is a big beefy kid from Brazil of all places. He's been hyped up, then downplayed and hyped up again all at the tender age of 20. Burrows was the closer for Alabama. Really nice trade for the Braves, supposedly the Mariners are going to be moving Smith again.

I like Smith but with Inciarte there he was stuck as a 4th outfielder at best. I just read up on Gohara and I really like this trade for Atlanta even though I hate selling low on Shae Simmons after another injury. Keith Law had Gohara as the Mariners #2 prospect so this looks like a good deal for both sides as the Mariners receive two MLB ready players and the Braves acquire two young arms one of which has a very high upside.
.  
DanMetroMan : 1/11/2017 3:53 pm : link

Tampa Bay RaysVerified account
‏@RaysBaseball
#Rays have acquired OF Mallex Smith, minor league SS Carlos Vargas & minor league LHP Ryan Yarbrough from SEA in exchange for LHP Drew Smyly
The new CBA also makes one year rentals less attractive  
Vanzetti : 1/11/2017 4:23 pm : link
Given that Sandy picked up Walker and Bruce, you have to wonder if he was not expecting such a significant reduction in the compensation for losing free agents. I don't following the business part of baseball like some of you, especially Dan. So was the reduction from a sandwich first to a third round pick expected?

I can't believe the small market teams agreed to that

RE: The new CBA also makes one year rentals less attractive  
DanMetroMan : 1/11/2017 4:27 pm : link
In comment 13321824 Vanzetti said:
Quote:
Given that Sandy picked up Walker and Bruce, you have to wonder if he was not expecting such a significant reduction in the compensation for losing free agents. I don't following the business part of baseball like some of you, especially Dan. So was the reduction from a sandwich first to a third round pick expected?

I can't believe the small market teams agreed to that


It was expected that there would be some compensation changes but I think many were surprised how far reaching they were. That said, the teams are in on the negotiations so they were likely less surprised than we/writers were.
Nice article  
Metnut : 1/13/2017 2:14 pm : link
here on the Mets on fangraphs. Basically says that the Mets have a lot of talent but that there's bullpen arms out there that are better than our current guys and we should go after them.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-mets-havent-done-enough/ - ( New Window )
The gist  
Metnut : 1/13/2017 2:16 pm : link
sort of is, why nickel and dime the last few bullpen spots with so many injury question marks in the rotation? Payroll still isn't that high when compared to the other NL front-runners on average and attendance will likely be high again next year.
Cahill  
DanMetroMan : 1/13/2017 2:22 pm : link
to SD, the Mets had spoken to him previously.
Mets and Duda  
spike : 1/13/2017 3:38 pm : link
have agreed to a 1 year 7.25 mil contract


Rich Dude - ( New Window )
So did deGrom  
pjcas18 : 1/13/2017 3:40 pm : link
~4M+ incentives, I think only Harvey and Flores remain unsettled or unannounced.
Harvey  
sshin05 : 1/13/2017 5:04 pm : link
settles at 5.125
Cornish 50 game suspension  
DanMetroMan : 1/13/2017 5:09 pm : link
Cornish received HM during the 2017 NYFS top 50 prospect polling http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44004 #Mets
RE: Cornish 50 game suspension  
pjcas18 : 1/13/2017 5:12 pm : link
In comment 13324361 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
Cornish received HM during the 2017 NYFS top 50 prospect polling http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44004 #Mets


Amphetamines? Is that adderall?

Sad that the mets  
Metnut : 1/13/2017 9:06 pm : link
couldn't take care of Wilmer Flores. Love this kid
Back to the Corner