Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Part IV of Retooling the Giants

rathan : 2/14/2017 1:40 pm
Finally got around to doing a potential mock draft to improve the team. In this mock off-season, we were able to sign JPP, but let Hankins walk leaving a hole on our d-line that we weren't able to address in free agency.

Also, with the JPP deal, we made some solid moves on offense, signing Blount, Aiken, Nsekhe, Escobar, and Ponder to bring veteran depth to the team. I used DraftTek's picks for the 31 other teams and only selected players who were taken at or below the Giants slots. Let me know what you think!
Cap Wars, Episodn IV: A New Hope - ( New Window )
not crazy about McCaffrey in Rd 1  
Victor in CT : 2/14/2017 2:11 pm : link
just not sold.
Blount....  
djm : 2/14/2017 2:12 pm : link
He's Cinderella in one place only--New England. Once he leaves that area he turns into a pumpkin.
If Howard was still there at 20, I believe it is pretty not-smart  
Bob in Newburgh : 2/14/2017 2:13 pm : link
not to trade up to secure him.

Perkins, Vereen, Blount and McCaffery together is organizationally pretty stupid.

I have no problem with your other drafting positions but I do not have the info to evaluate these guys.
RE: If Howard was still there at 20, I believe it is pretty not-smart  
rathan : 2/14/2017 2:22 pm : link
In comment 13360916 Bob in Newburgh said:
Quote:
not to trade up to secure him.

Perkins, Vereen, Blount and McCaffery together is organizationally pretty stupid.

I have no problem with your other drafting positions but I do not have the info to evaluate these guys.


I don't know if I'm sold on Perkins as being the three down answer here. Giants have been successful in the past with different running styles. McCaffrey for 12 - 15 total touches a game, alternating series with Perkins would be interesting if the Giants ever go away from plain vanilla formation/plays. Blount would be a goal-line/short yardage specialist, Vereen another 3rd down option. It's quite risky to run your offense through one guy (see Pittsburgh vs. NE).
Um, we are talking about 4 guys  
Bob in Newburgh : 2/14/2017 2:28 pm : link
One of which, who is not projected to be a superstar running RB, you have wasted your 1st on in order to create a redundancy.

In a fair positional battle, McCaffery loses to Vereen and sits on the bench. I have seen plans like this. I don't like them much.
Yeah, the McCaffery pick is outsmarting yourself  
BillT : 2/14/2017 3:05 pm : link
A #1 pick who isn't a full time starter? A gadget player, and maybe a very good one, but a gadget player none the less. Get a WR or DL at #1 and whatever position you don't draft #1 you take in round 2. Even the TE picks would be better at #1 than McCaffery.
I wouldn't even take McCaffrey  
allstarjim : 2/14/2017 3:12 pm : link
in Round 2. Or round 3. Doesn't mean he won't be a good player, just don't like him as a fit on our team.

I also think RB is a position in which there will be some good value in late, in a draft that isn't deep in a lot of other positions.

McCaffrey in the first round would represent one of the worst values of any RB in this draft in terms of round projection, IMO. I don't see him being a three-down back or a RB that you can trust with a high volume season workload. I think he's a committee back, albeit an upside one, that will be a good weapon in a limited role.

3rd round player that will probably get drafted in the 2nd.
I too don't agree on McCaffery  
UConn4523 : 2/14/2017 3:25 pm : link
this isn't a Gurley or Elliot type talent and we passed on Gurley (albeit due in part to injuries).

I just have a very hard time believing he will be the #1 player on our board when we pick.
RE: Yeah, the McCaffery pick is outsmarting yourself  
rathan : 2/14/2017 3:26 pm : link
In comment 13360984 BillT said:
Quote:
A #1 pick who isn't a full time starter? A gadget player, and maybe a very good one, but a gadget player none the less. Get a WR or DL at #1 and whatever position you don't draft #1 you take in round 2. Even the TE picks would be better at #1 than McCaffery.


I didn't really see any difference makers that the Giants would take. Dalvin Cook doesn't become an option because of red flags. Maybe you take a DE and build on strength, although with how little production we get from the backfield already, I don't see many RBs that fit without reaching. The scenario that would make more sense than McCaffrey would be is Malik McDowell or O. J. Howard drop. Just didn't happen in this mock unfortunately.
RE: RE: Yeah, the McCaffery pick is outsmarting yourself  
BillT : 2/14/2017 3:40 pm : link
In comment 13361003 rathan said:
Quote:
In comment 13360984 BillT said:


Quote:


A #1 pick who isn't a full time starter? A gadget player, and maybe a very good one, but a gadget player none the less. Get a WR or DL at #1 and whatever position you don't draft #1 you take in round 2. Even the TE picks would be better at #1 than McCaffery.



I didn't really see any difference makers that the Giants would take. Dalvin Cook doesn't become an option because of red flags. Maybe you take a DE and build on strength, although with how little production we get from the backfield already, I don't see many RBs that fit without reaching. The scenario that would make more sense than McCaffrey would be is Malik McDowell or O. J. Howard drop. Just didn't happen in this mock unfortunately.

You have to stay with what got you there. The Giants draft DL, WR, DB in rounds 1-3, 70% of the time. If nothing jumps out at you at 23 you take the best from one of those positions.
No Thanks  
WillVAB : 2/14/2017 4:26 pm : link
2 RBs and a kicker in the draft?

That's not how you build a team and that's certainly not what will get the Giants to the next level.
Drafting a RB in round 1 will not do anything to protect an aging Eli.  
GeorgeFox : 2/14/2017 5:02 pm : link
Our oline is a mess and is in desperate need of an upgrade. Drafting a top tier olineman will go a long way to improving the run and pass games.
OL baby  
Thegratefulhead : 2/14/2017 5:24 pm : link
Pick the seven best offensive lineman available, hit on half of them. We will be young and deep on the OL. Sign JPP, Hankins and Martellus Bennet. We need a TE that can block AND catch or become too predictable.
RE: RE: Yeah, the McCaffery pick is outsmarting yourself  
section125 : 2/14/2017 6:23 pm : link
In comment 13361003 rathan said:
Quote:
In comment 13360984 BillT said:


Quote:
I didn't really see any difference makers that the Giants would take. Dalvin Cook doesn't become an option because of red flags.


Red Flags? What red flags? That he fumbled twice in the 2014 NCAA semi-final game against Oregon as a freshman? Don't think I heard of Cook doing anything wrong.
RE: Drafting a RB in round 1 will not do anything to protect an aging Eli.  
rathan : 2/14/2017 8:34 pm : link
In comment 13361117 GeorgeFox said:
Quote:
Our oline is a mess and is in desperate need of an upgrade. Drafting a top tier olineman will go a long way to improving the run and pass games.


There are no top tier OT in this draft, and none available at 23.
RE: RE: RE: Yeah, the McCaffery pick is outsmarting yourself  
rathan : 2/14/2017 8:37 pm : link
In comment 13361195 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 13361003 rathan said:


Quote:


In comment 13360984 BillT said:


Quote:
I didn't really see any difference makers that the Giants would take. Dalvin Cook doesn't become an option because of red flags.



Red Flags? What red flags? That he fumbled twice in the 2014 NCAA semi-final game against Oregon as a freshman? Don't think I heard of Cook doing anything wrong.


"Teams do have some off-the-field concerns about Cook and his character. He escaped some legal issues last year, but teams say that Cook has an entourage of gang bangers and they worry Cook drinks too much. Staying out of trouble is a concern that teams have. " - Walter Football

I personally don't think that should be an issue, but who knows where the Giants stand on that.
Ridiculous  
Optimus-NY : 2/14/2017 9:15 pm : link
McCaffery? Come the eff on man. Please. Stop.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Yeah, the McCaffery pick is outsmarting yourself  
allstarjim : 2/14/2017 10:07 pm : link
In comment 13361286 rathan said:
Quote:
In comment 13361195 section125 said:


Quote:


In comment 13361003 rathan said:


Quote:


In comment 13360984 BillT said:


Quote:
I didn't really see any difference makers that the Giants would take. Dalvin Cook doesn't become an option because of red flags.



Red Flags? What red flags? That he fumbled twice in the 2014 NCAA semi-final game against Oregon as a freshman? Don't think I heard of Cook doing anything wrong.



"Teams do have some off-the-field concerns about Cook and his character. He escaped some legal issues last year, but teams say that Cook has an entourage of gang bangers and they worry Cook drinks too much. Staying out of trouble is a concern that teams have. " - Walter Football

I personally don't think that should be an issue, but who knows where the Giants stand on that.


The legal stuff was all smoke and no water. He was involved in that bb gun incident where he and some other players were shooting bb guns at each other and broke some windows. Was arrested for that. Stupid, but kids having some fun and somebody (or more than one of them) got a little reckless and broke some windows.

He also was cited for having puppies on a heavy chain and the chain might have been too heavy to move or something. I am a huge dog lover, it sounds like they this is ignorance in how to care for a puppy, and probably not malicious. It does aggravate me, but I don't think this affects his grade.

Finally, he was arrested and acquitted in 25 minutes because a woman accused him of hitting her. It was determined he was not the one who hit her at all, and she was apparently confused and probably intoxicated. Basically, he didn't do anything wrong.

I guess those can be characterized as flags but I don't think he is a character-issue at all.
What does McCafferty give us that Perkins doesn't?  
PatersonPlank : 2/14/2017 11:15 pm : link
If we draft a RB it should be a big back like Freeman from Texas, who we may be able to get in RD 2.
RE: What does McCafferty give us that Perkins doesn't?  
rathan : 2/15/2017 12:05 am : link
In comment 13361380 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
If we draft a RB it should be a big back like Freeman from Texas, who we may be able to get in RD 2.


Well, he's a better receiver, and a more patient runner. Frankly, I don't know what makes him successful, but he is extremely successful. He certainly has a style similar to Bell and Charles, which is why, to me, it's not a terrible pick to take a guy who can win games on 10 touches.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Yeah, the McCaffery pick is outsmarting yourself  
ajr2456 : 2/15/2017 8:49 am : link
In comment 13361286 rathan said:
Quote:
In comment 13361195 section125 said:


Quote:


In comment 13361003 rathan said:


Quote:


In comment 13360984 BillT said:


Quote:
I didn't really see any difference makers that the Giants would take. Dalvin Cook doesn't become an option because of red flags.



Red Flags? What red flags? That he fumbled twice in the 2014 NCAA semi-final game against Oregon as a freshman? Don't think I heard of Cook doing anything wrong.



"Teams do have some off-the-field concerns about Cook and his character. He escaped some legal issues last year, but teams say that Cook has an entourage of gang bangers and they worry Cook drinks too much. Staying out of trouble is a concern that teams have. " - Walter Football

I personally don't think that should be an issue, but who knows where the Giants stand on that.


Can tell you on good authority that Walter Football made that quote up. It's not true.

And like the other poster said, the red flags are smoke and no water
Back to the Corner