Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Ellison's deal

jeff57 : 3/13/2017 8:07 am
Rhett Ellison's deal is a legit 4 years for $18M. It includes $5M signing bonus, $8M gtd and has just a $2.25 million cap hit this year.


Link - ( New Window )
Its an OK deal, even if he doesnt become a big receiving threat  
GloryDayz : 3/13/2017 8:17 am : link
TEs coming out of college have limited blocking skill. Having a solid blocker means they can draft a TE (if thats the direction they want to go) and play him earlier with Ellison taking care of blocking duties.

Ideally you'd like a 2 way guy, not to tip your hand, but if Ellison can be a just little bit of a receiver, he'd still serve the purpose.
That looks  
Pete in MD : 3/13/2017 8:29 am : link
like starter money to me.
Salary figures get quite large...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/13/2017 8:31 am : link
2017 $975,000
2018 $2,475,000
2019 $4,475,000
2020 $4,975,000
8mm guaranteed  
GiantsRage2007 : 3/13/2017 8:33 am : link
Looks like 2017/2018 that's paid out - so after 2018 he is a cap cut I would assume?
RE: Salary figures get quite large...  
Joey from GlenCove : 3/13/2017 8:34 am : link
In comment 13390902 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
2017 $975,000
2018 $2,475,000
2019 $4,475,000
2020 $4,975,000


what does dead money look like?
looks like a 2 year deal to me  
giants#1 : 3/13/2017 8:39 am : link
Could cut him after 2018 with $2.5M dead vs $4.5M in cap savings. But if Ellison steps up, stays healthy, and produces, the 2019/2020 cap #s aren't prohibitive, especially with a rising cap. He can certainly 'earn' those final 2 years like Casillas has and (IMO) Harris whose deals looked high at the beginning.

I'd actually prefer deals like this to the Fluker one. Costs the Giants a little more (i.e. riskier), but if the player performs or exceeds expectations, at least the Giants get some of the upside. A big year from Fluker and he's probably gone with Pugh/Richburg also FAs.
Ellison being 3 years older than Fluker  
UConn4523 : 3/13/2017 8:43 am : link
is why he chose a long term deal. Fluker, like Bennett, would be foolish to take a multi year deal for pennies when 1 good year will net them a massive payday. Takes two to make a deal, can't force guys out of these prove it contracts.
RE: RE: Salary figures get quite large...  
giants#1 : 3/13/2017 8:44 am : link
In comment 13390905 Joey from GlenCove said:
Quote:
In comment 13390902 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


2017 $975,000
2018 $2,475,000
2019 $4,475,000
2020 $4,975,000



what does dead money look like?


Based on the #s in the tweet and Eric's numbers:

2017: $975k base | $1.25M SB | $250k RB/WB | $2.25M cap hit | $8M dead
2018: $2.475M base ($2M gtd?) | $1.25M SB | ??? RB/WB | $3.75M cap hit | $5.75M dead
2019: $4.475M base | $1.25M SB | ??? RB/WB | $5.75M cap hit | $2.5M dead
2020: $4.975M base | $1.25M SB | ??? RB/WB | $6.25M cap hit | $1.25M dead

RB/WB = roster bonus and/or workout bonus

Hopefully that's somewhat readable.

RE: That looks  
Klaatu : 3/13/2017 8:46 am : link
In comment 13390900 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
like starter money to me.


With no other FB on the roster, he probably will start, or at least get a significant amount of playing time.
RE: Ellison being 3 years older than Fluker  
giants#1 : 3/13/2017 8:49 am : link
In comment 13390911 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
is why he chose a long term deal. Fluker, like Bennett, would be foolish to take a multi year deal for pennies when 1 good year will net them a massive payday. Takes two to make a deal, can't force guys out of these prove it contracts.


Could be a few reasons. Could be Fluker's younger. Could be the Giants view Fluker as much riskier and didn't offer a long term deal. Maybe Ellison is more risk averse in general. Who knows.

And you could really turn the age thing around too. This could easily be Ellison's last chance for a big deal and since he's never been a starter, he might be better off with a one year deal showing that he can produce big time and then cashing in next year. Whereas in Fluker's case, he's been a 4 year starter and even if he has a solid year, teams will be leery about giving a big contract to a player that underperformed for 4 years and then suddenly had a big year in his contract season. A 2-3 year deal for Fluker on the other hand, would give him a chance to improve and show some consistency before trying to cash in one more time.
RE: RE: That looks  
GloryDayz : 3/13/2017 8:50 am : link
In comment 13390915 Klaatu said:
Quote:
In comment 13390900 Pete in MD said:


Quote:


like starter money to me.



With no other FB on the roster, he probably will start, or at least get a significant amount of playing time.


Even if they draft a TE high, Ellison gets a lot of snaps. So the compensation is probably fair
RE: RE: Ellison being 3 years older than Fluker  
GloryDayz : 3/13/2017 8:57 am : link
In comment 13390917 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 13390911 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


is why he chose a long term deal. Fluker, like Bennett, would be foolish to take a multi year deal for pennies when 1 good year will net them a massive payday. Takes two to make a deal, can't force guys out of these prove it contracts.



Could be a few reasons. Could be Fluker's younger. Could be the Giants view Fluker as much riskier and didn't offer a long term deal. Maybe Ellison is more risk averse in general. Who knows.

And you could really turn the age thing around too. This could easily be Ellison's last chance for a big deal and since he's never been a starter, he might be better off with a one year deal showing that he can produce big time and then cashing in next year. Whereas in Fluker's case, he's been a 4 year starter and even if he has a solid year, teams will be leery about giving a big contract to a player that underperformed for 4 years and then suddenly had a big year in his contract season. A 2-3 year deal for Fluker on the other hand, would give him a chance to improve and show some consistency before trying to cash in one more time.


Fluker was looking for a 1 year deal... he didnt want a long term deal based on his current value.

Given the Giants OL, he'd get the best opportunity to start & at least try to increase his value. It was a good match for all parties... thats probably why he signed before visiting other teams.
RE: RE: Ellison being 3 years older than Fluker  
UConn4523 : 3/13/2017 9:09 am : link
In comment 13390917 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 13390911 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


is why he chose a long term deal. Fluker, like Bennett, would be foolish to take a multi year deal for pennies when 1 good year will net them a massive payday. Takes two to make a deal, can't force guys out of these prove it contracts.



Could be a few reasons. Could be Fluker's younger. Could be the Giants view Fluker as much riskier and didn't offer a long term deal. Maybe Ellison is more risk averse in general. Who knows.

And you could really turn the age thing around too. This could easily be Ellison's last chance for a big deal and since he's never been a starter, he might be better off with a one year deal showing that he can produce big time and then cashing in next year. Whereas in Fluker's case, he's been a 4 year starter and even if he has a solid year, teams will be leery about giving a big contract to a player that underperformed for 4 years and then suddenly had a big year in his contract season. A 2-3 year deal for Fluker on the other hand, would give him a chance to improve and show some consistency before trying to cash in one more time.


That's why I mentioned age, at 28 this was Ellisons only shot at a larger payday. As for Fluker it could be a number of things but taking a 1 year prove it deal at his age seems wise. He's trying to increase his value by 26 for his big payday if he plays well.
Too much  
Carson53 : 3/13/2017 10:23 am : link
for a role player and blocker, who caught about 50 passes total as a Vikings player.
If he was a two way TE, that is a different story!
I hope he is one of the best blocking TE's ever to play
in the NFL. It is deals like this that make me SMH.
RE: That looks  
Carson53 : 3/13/2017 10:23 am : link
In comment 13390900 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
like starter money to me.


Indeed!
Reminds me of the Dwayne Harris  
pjcas18 : 3/13/2017 10:26 am : link
deal a little. Seems like a lot for the player, but he can fill a variety of roles.

I think the key is he just needs to be on the field. Whether as a TE/HB/FB and be productive.
RE: RE: RE: Salary figures get quite large...  
Brandon Walsh : 3/13/2017 10:38 am : link
In comment 13390913 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 13390905 Joey from GlenCove said:


Quote:


In comment 13390902 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


2017 $975,000
2018 $2,475,000
2019 $4,475,000
2020 $4,975,000



what does dead money look like?



Based on the #s in the tweet and Eric's numbers:

2017: $975k base | $1.25M SB | $250k RB/WB | $2.25M cap hit | $8M dead
2018: $2.475M base ($2M gtd?) | $1.25M SB | ??? RB/WB | $3.75M cap hit | $5.75M dead
2019: $4.475M base | $1.25M SB | ??? RB/WB | $5.75M cap hit | $2.5M dead
2020: $4.975M base | $1.25M SB | ??? RB/WB | $6.25M cap hit | $1.25M dead

RB/WB = roster bonus and/or workout bonus

Hopefully that's somewhat readable.


Nice job. Two year deal with team options after that.
Kudos to Reese  
ny2plano : 3/13/2017 11:23 am : link
Didn't like this signing at $18M for 4 years for a blocking TE no matter how good. Details of the deal are genius. Definitely worth it with that much money in years 3 and 4.
I think Ellison is going to surprise a lot of people  
JD in NC : 3/13/2017 12:16 pm : link
With his receiving and YAC skills. Really seems like a similar situation to Martellus Bennet being stuck behind Witten, Ellison has been stuck behind Kyle Rudolph, and now he is being given the opportunity to be the #1 TE on the team.
He'll log a ton of snaps  
annexOPR : 3/13/2017 12:20 pm : link
and indirectly be a huge upgrade to the OL play

Giants have 3 talented WRs, Ellison will allow Eli time to actually find them. Giants might even be able to run for 5 yards from time to time too.

He's a big upgrade at the biggest area of need on offense - blocking.
That is too much money  
Doomster : 3/13/2017 12:43 pm : link
to pay to someone to be just a blocking TE....

The Giants are hoping he will be the starting TE, and be a receiver also....

I don't see him being used more as a FB, than TE, so obviously we will need a FB.....

Yes it is looking more an more like a Bennett situation.....but this time, Reese is not taking a chance, that if he flourishes as a TE in this offense, that he would be leaving like Bennett, on a one year deal.....it is a gamble on his part.....especially with the injury that he had....

Yea, I dont get it  
Glover : 3/14/2017 3:11 am : link
I hope I'm wrong, but the Giants would have to keep him for 3 years before they can cut him, or restructure his contract after 2. A blocking TE who can maybe catch 20 for 200 yards. Somewhere between a Bear Pascoe and a Kevin Boss, neither of which made a quarter of what Ellison will make. Don't like the look of it, great, he can block, I would have rather they shopped for a cheaper blocking TE and kept developing Adams. He could take over the position this year.
'Ellison's deal'...  
Torrag : 3/14/2017 7:16 am : link
He's the starter.
Darkwa's deal with up to $1.8 million  
jeff57 : 3/14/2017 3:19 pm : link
.
Link - ( New Window )
It's too much money for this player  
KWALL2 : 3/14/2017 3:49 pm : link
Especially in a year when TEs aren't getting paid because of the stacked draft class at the position.
It's too much money for this player  
Torrag : 3/14/2017 4:59 pm : link
That remains to be seen. It all comes down to his performance. Signing Ellison in now way precludes them from drafting Howard/Njoku et all if they are so inclined. Who would be blocking them from playing time? Tye? Adams?
It's not "too much"  
annexOPR : 3/15/2017 12:00 am : link
He can line up all over the formation and excels in the area this offense as a whole was pathetic at last year - blocking.

Contract looks top heavy and could cut him in 2019 for cheap. I love the deal. Won't be a big "fantasy contributor", but the Giants will actually be able to call an effective running play on 3rd and short again.

Ellison won't make too many highlights, but he'll actually help sustain drives. If you're as tired as I was last year watching this team pray for a Beckham TD or go 3 and out - you'll learn to love Ellison.
Back to the Corner