Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Islanders at Canes, 7pm Game Thread

pganut : 3/14/2017 1:40 pm
Clearly, last night was concerning as we're not sure which Islanders team will show up - if at all. Regardless, they need to step up and face a team that I'm sure thinks it has an apathetic opponent on its hands.

Not much use dissecting last night. It was a shitshow pretty much after the 15 minute mark of the first. All of the goalies in the game couldn't stop a beachball. Here's what is absolutely a given: a team is never as bad as it is when it gets blown out, nor are they ever as good as when they do the demolishing. Get past it, play with purpose tonight.

No lineups yet given no morning skate.

The only thing I'll say is that we are 10 years into the Snow regime. Sure, we've made the playoffs a few times; not often enough, but the reality is that only once have we advanced past the first round. What we also see is that the prospects, for as long as we've been lauded for stockpiling an impressive batch, not developing as expected primarily due to not being given playing time, or not even being called up in the case of some. And others with NHL experience that could be helping this team in a time of need (Halak) that are banished because of the GM's perception.

Bottom line: the GM's job is to provide a team with the best chance to succeed. Snow has been complicit in mismanaging the team's assets. He has also seen to it that some of those assets are intentionally ignored. Regardless of if this team can salvage the playoffs, the body of work over a decade should be the no-brainer of no-brainers and a change made once this season ends that is overdue in coming.

Pick up your shit, Isles.
PGA is still fired up  
Dave M : 3/14/2017 2:18 pm : link
I like it. After that disgrace last night the team should be. It as perhaps the worst loss of the season all things considered. Snow has shit all over his face for this goaltending fiasco.
The Wang/Snow combo is the reason this franchise has been so bad  
marbles : 3/14/2017 2:43 pm : link
One down, one to go.

There can't be anyone left that can defend that gasbag. Snow screwed this season up so badly, it has been Snow's worst season as GM.

Can you even imagine what depths that translates to in human judgement?
Another thing about Snow  
marbles : 3/14/2017 2:57 pm : link
It wouldn't surprise me that he doesn't want to bring up Halak out of fear Halak goes on a good streak, and is a big reason they make the playoffs.

I know, always find more room the trash that douche, but it is too easy.
RE: PGA is still fired up  
pganut : 3/14/2017 3:43 pm : link
In comment 13392881 Dave M said:
Quote:
I like it. After that disgrace last night the team should be. It as perhaps the worst loss of the season all things considered. Snow has shit all over his face for this goaltending fiasco.
I guess I am. It's like having the finish line in sight off in the distance and having your douchebag older brother roll some marbles onto the road so you trip while he yells "O'Doyle rules". We're not out of it, but you question why someone who should love you is treating you like dirt.
The new owners continue to employ  
Renton : 3/14/2017 3:44 pm : link
Snow. Therefore, nothing will change within this joke of an organization. Might as well be Charles Wrong calling the shots. Here's to another 20 years of pointless hockey.
It seems Berube can't be sent down  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/14/2017 3:52 pm : link
same way Mayfield can't be sent down at this point, so if we called up Halak, apparently Bridgeport will have no goalie with Gibson hurt, and some are speculating that's why a move hasn't and won't be made.
I refuse to kill the whole team for yesterday  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/14/2017 3:55 pm : link
5-10 minutes into the 2nd period they were outshooting the Canes 17-11 and were winning 3-2. The goalies AND THE GOALIES ALONE lost the game for us yesterday.
RE: The new owners continue to employ  
marbles : 3/14/2017 3:59 pm : link
In comment 13393037 Renton said:
Quote:
Snow. Therefore, nothing will change within this joke of an organization. Might as well be Charles Wrong calling the shots. Here's to another 20 years of pointless hockey.


Stick to what you know best. The idea there is nothing strange about rooting for division rivals.

Snow is a goner. Big reason why no moves were made at the deadline.
RE: It seems Berube can't be sent down  
marbles : 3/14/2017 4:02 pm : link
In comment 13393046 Mike in Long Beach said:
Quote:
same way Mayfield can't be sent down at this point, so if we called up Halak, apparently Bridgeport will have no goalie with Gibson hurt, and some are speculating that's why a move hasn't and won't be made.


More proof Snow is stupid. Having said that, a sumo wrestler and put him in net with Bridgeport. Killing your playoff chances for the sake of your minor league team is embarrassing.
RE: I refuse to kill the whole team for yesterday  
pganut : 3/14/2017 4:06 pm : link
In comment 13393049 Mike in Long Beach said:
Quote:
5-10 minutes into the 2nd period they were outshooting the Canes 17-11 and were winning 3-2. The goalies AND THE GOALIES ALONE lost the game for us yesterday.
Goalies plus the D. Inexcusable and invisible. And Brock should sit. The pathetic attempt to win a board battle while on a PP, and then losing the puck and a footrace with a slow D in Slavin was simply jaw-dropping. Send a message that laziness at this time of year is not tolerated.
Isn't Mcadam in Bridgeport?  
Dave M : 3/14/2017 4:13 pm : link
.
RE: Isn't Mcadam in Bridgeport?  
feelflows : 3/14/2017 4:33 pm : link
In comment 13393074 Dave M said:
Quote:
.


yes. He was in BPT, then in the ECHL then returned to Bridgeport last month.
RE: Isn't Mcadam in Bridgeport?  
pganut : 3/14/2017 4:33 pm : link
In comment 13393074 Dave M said:
Quote:
.
Yes, he is, so that would leave BPT with a goalie. Problem lies with who still gets called up, and also with who can't be sent down. Teams are allowed 4 recalls after the trade deadline, and we've already had 2 (Mayfield & Ho-Sang). If they recalled Halak, they'd only have one left and it seems like they don't want to make that decision yet. Berube also can't be sent down at this point, so that complicates things, even if we've already seen the three goalie movie before. Ties up a roster spot they otherwise could use, or need. Should have just cut bait on Berube earlier.

One other thing I wanted to say; Ho-Sang is a joy to watch. Yes, there'll be some growing pains, but the kid is like a panther or shark with the puck...always looking like he's going to pounce. We haven't had a puckhandler like that before. And his vision and hockey IQ are off the charts. Him on JT's wing is gonna be a thing of beauty to see.
Wow, this is nuts  
pganut : 3/14/2017 4:51 pm : link
In the KHL playoffs, defenseman Andrei Kuteikin of Dynamo Moscow has 3 goals in the series against SKA. All 3 of his goals are from slappers from center ice.
If Kuteikin shoots from center ice, he's probably going to score - ( New Window )
Last night Not surprising  
5BowlsSoon : 3/14/2017 4:59 pm : link
Teams that are gone as long as Isles were come home exhausted and need a few days to adjust to being home and the home routine and all. I think the boys come to play tonight, but not predicting a win. We shall see.
Per Isles and Laura Albanese of Newsday  
pganut : 3/14/2017 5:10 pm : link
Greiss in net. Lineup TBD at warmups. Lots ofguys banged up. Possibly 7D, also possible Quine returns. Zeeker still a couple of games away. Weight also said there will be discussions to come about bringing Halak up but not tonight. He does think there will be some lineup changes tonight.

I wonder if he puts 66 alongside 27 and 91. I could also see Strome centering 72 and 12 and Quine between Ladd and Chimera.
Looks like you're getting your wish with Nelson, pganut  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/14/2017 6:46 pm : link
Isles might be playing with 7 D. No Nelson in warmups.
Convenient  
pganut : 3/14/2017 7:08 pm : link
Brock is dy to day with an upper body injury. I guess the brain counts as upper body.

Lines in warmups: Lee-Tavares-Bailey; Ladd-Strome-Ho-Sang; Kulemin-Beauvillier-Chimera;Gionta-Quine-Clutterbuck
I guess the urgency and the importance Weight mentioned on this game  
pganut : 3/14/2017 7:47 pm : link
Is in hiding until perhaps the 2nd or 3rd period? Not only does Carolina have nothing to play for, but after being embarrassed last night, you'd think the Isles would come out flying. I hope they didn't already decide it's not their night just because JHS was stopped on the breakaway and Quine hit the crossbar.

Still seeing too may easy zone entries for CAR, and we allow teams to maintain possession by not pressuring the puckhandler. That has to change.

Ho-Sang  
pganut : 3/14/2017 8:32 pm : link
Man, he comes to play.
Chimmer!  
pganut : 3/14/2017 8:33 pm : link
Tie game.
Haha Ho-Sang's intermission interview with Shannon  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/14/2017 8:39 pm : link
"I'm glad we came out with the goals because I thought we dominated the period."

Ummm, sure thing kid. Haha
HO SANG  
steviej : 3/14/2017 8:41 pm : link
I believe we have a PLAYA !!!
Definitely wouldn't have believed it  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/14/2017 8:42 pm : link
if you told me on opening night after Clutter's goal against the Rangers that he and Ho-Sang would have the same amount of goals on March 14. Let's hope Ho-Sang keeps it and Clutter finds it.

Big 3rd coming up.
7 minutes and change into the 3rd  
pganut : 3/14/2017 9:04 pm : link
And it's frightening how little sustained offensive zone time the Isles have had. They definitely seem out of sorts, and it feels like the only way they'll score is off a mistake or sort of a bolt of lightning. No pressure on O, and still too much loose play on D.
RE: 7 minutes and change into the 3rd  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/14/2017 9:07 pm : link
In comment 13393383 pganut said:
Quote:
And it's frightening how little sustained offensive zone time the Isles have had. They definitely seem out of sorts, and it feels like the only way they'll score is off a mistake or sort of a bolt of lightning. No pressure on O, and still too much loose play on D.


knock on wood, but they're also tying up Carolina in the neutral zone much better. Very tight game on both ends this period.
Greiss bailed the Isles out big tonight  
pganut : 3/14/2017 9:28 pm : link
Sure would be a nice gesture for the skaters to win this one for his efforts.
J fuckin' T!  
pganut : 3/14/2017 9:30 pm : link
Attaboy, cap.
Fuck yea!!!!  
KWhite2250 : 3/14/2017 9:30 pm : link
Ho-sang is the man
Didn't want to post tonight because I felt like I was a jinx yesterday  
BlueHurricane : 3/14/2017 9:32 pm : link
Boom!!!!

Nice win
RE: Greiss bailed the Isles out big tonight  
Fish : 3/14/2017 9:32 pm : link
In comment 13393412 pganut said:
Quote:
Sure would be a nice gesture for the skaters to win this one for his efforts.


YUp
New line mate  
Fish : 3/14/2017 9:32 pm : link
For JT maybe?
Heady play by Ho-Sang to intercept the pass  
pganut : 3/14/2017 9:36 pm : link
Which in turn led to the goal sequence. I love that Weight is unafraid to play 66 and 91 together.

Not our best effort, but a much-needed result. Big props to Greiss, 66 and JT for coming up huge when it counted. Fuck the style points, grab 2 after a debacle last night, take care of biz against WPG at home.
Season saving win  
marbles : 3/14/2017 9:40 pm : link
Wow. Down 2-0 late in the second period, I really thought the season was over.

Ottawa goalie  
KWhite2250 : 3/14/2017 9:43 pm : link
With 2 of the best saves of the year in the 3rd. Ottawa tryin to help us out
RE: Ottawa goalie  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/14/2017 9:45 pm : link
In comment 13393440 KWhite2250 said:
Quote:
With 2 of the best saves of the year in the 3rd. Ottawa tryin to help us out


I just saw these. Unreal.

Game available online below if anyone wants to watch.
Link - ( New Window )
RE: RE: Ottawa goalie  
giantgiantfan : 3/14/2017 10:13 pm : link
In comment 13393441 Mike in Long Beach said:
Quote:
In comment 13393440 KWhite2250 said:


Quote:


With 2 of the best saves of the year in the 3rd. Ottawa tryin to help us out



I just saw these. Unreal.

Game available online below if anyone wants to watch. Link - ( New Window )


No help
None  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/14/2017 10:14 pm : link
Who the hell do we root for on Thursday? lol

Toronto is in Tampa Bay.
shit start  
JayBinQueens : 3/14/2017 10:18 pm : link
but great job getting the 2.

I don't think 66 should be moved to line 1 but they should definitely play together in 4v4 situations
RE: None  
Patrick : 3/14/2017 10:35 pm : link
In comment 13393482 Mike in Long Beach said:
Quote:
Who the hell do we root for on Thursday? lol

Toronto is in Tampa Bay.


Root for a 60 minute game.

Great win tonight. Greiss and Ho Sang leading the way.
Big win  
Dave M : 3/14/2017 11:34 pm : link
Greiss was great in the 2nd and 3rd. They were outplayed and Skinner is so damn annoying.
RE: Didn't want to post tonight because I felt like I was a jinx yesterday  
The 12th Man : 3/15/2017 12:01 am : link
In comment 13393420 BlueHurricane said:
Quote:
Boom!!!!

Nice win


I felt the same way.i will be at the game Thurs night.
Interesting celebration  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/15/2017 12:14 am : link
For whatever it's worth  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/15/2017 2:01 am : link
Josh Ho-Sang has the same amount of goals that Matt Duchene has since January 1.
I watched him in the AHL  
feelflows : 3/15/2017 7:38 am : link
You could tell he had more skill than any player on the ice... But it never led to anything. A lot of skating with the puck, dekeing, trying to split defenders and passing.

The only thing that impressed me was his passing, puck possession and speed. His decision making and lack of shooting were discerning.

That being said, he looks a lot different up with the big club. He's shooting more and not trying to do too much.

Maybe he was trying to carry the team in BPORT. I don't know. Either way, he looks a lot better now.
Really glad they were able  
Metnut : 3/15/2017 9:05 am : link
to pull it out last night because another loss would've really made the standings look a bit ugly. It's going to be a stressful finish with every game (and pt) mattering and scoreboard watching galore.

One thing with JHS and BPort -> NYI, is that he might be the type where playing WITH better players makes a bigger difference than playing AGAINST better players. It looks like he was mostly ready for the speed of the NHL game but having a chance to have NHL lineups might've made his game better as well.
I would disagree  
KWhite2250 : 3/15/2017 9:10 am : link
He is still tying to do too much but he is also producing still. There are plenty of times he's handled the puck too much and lost it. But its ok by me because its nice to watch an Islander player other than Leddy be able to skate the puck in instead of dumping and chasing
Feelflows, your observation of Ho-Sang is interesting  
marbles : 3/15/2017 9:11 am : link
The kid was immature, and apparently overslept during camp. And he was also viewed as a hotdog on the ice.

Maybe Thompson should get some credit for helping Ho-Sang get ready for NHL.

And it could also be that Ho-Sang is brash enough to think he is NHL teady and gets bored in the minors. Not making excused for him. Because he has been a jolt of caffeine this team needed.

While he may not be a natural goal scorer, his one-timer was a sniper-esque goal.
What I also like about the JHS emergence  
pganut : 3/15/2017 10:07 am : link
Is that Weight has actually encouraged him to shoot more.

No debating his skill. On his goal last night, he wisely hung to the outside out of view of the defense, and when the puck found him, it was on his stick for a millisecond before he roofed it. Most of our team isn't that silky. Plenty of our other forwards would have fought that puck, waited for it to settle perfectly and likely take themselves out of a scoring chance. He's just gripping and ripping right now. I also agree the toughness that Thompson handled him with at BPT and the focus on what to do without the puck has absolutely helped him with the early success he's seen up here.
RE: Feelflows, your observation of Ho-Sang is interesting  
feelflows : 3/15/2017 10:13 am : link
In comment 13393647 marbles said:
Quote:
The kid was immature, and apparently overslept during camp. And he was also viewed as a hotdog on the ice.

Maybe Thompson should get some credit for helping Ho-Sang get ready for NHL.

And it could also be that Ho-Sang is brash enough to think he is NHL teady and gets bored in the minors. Not making excused for him. Because he has been a jolt of caffeine this team needed.

While he may not be a natural goal scorer, his one-timer was a sniper-esque goal.


Oh, I agree with everything you just typed.. I'm just making an observation on how he was playing in the AHL both times I saw him.

He's still a kid and he will learn. He's smart and skilled. And now he looks like he's learning.
RE: Really glad they were able  
feelflows : 3/15/2017 10:15 am : link
In comment 13393638 Metnut said:
Quote:
to pull it out last night because another loss would've really made the standings look a bit ugly. It's going to be a stressful finish with every game (and pt) mattering and scoreboard watching galore.

One thing with JHS and BPort -> NYI, is that he might be the type where playing WITH better players makes a bigger difference than playing AGAINST better players. It looks like he was mostly ready for the speed of the NHL game but having a chance to have NHL lineups might've made his game better as well.


I will say this.. twice in one game he made great passes to set up Dal Colle. The kid has vision.
Sportsclubstats  
Metnut : 3/15/2017 10:33 am : link
says if the Islanders go 9-4-0 they have an 88% chance of making the playoffs. 8-5-0 and they have a 57% chance.
RE: RE: Feelflows, your observation of Ho-Sang is interesting  
marbles : 3/15/2017 10:40 am : link
In comment 13393749 feelflows said:
Quote:
In comment 13393647 marbles said:


Quote:


The kid was immature, and apparently overslept during camp. And he was also viewed as a hotdog on the ice.

Maybe Thompson should get some credit for helping Ho-Sang get ready for NHL.

And it could also be that Ho-Sang is brash enough to think he is NHL teady and gets bored in the minors. Not making excused for him. Because he has been a jolt of caffeine this team needed.

While he may not be a natural goal scorer, his one-timer was a sniper-esque goal.



Oh, I agree with everything you just typed.. I'm just making an observation on how he was playing in the AHL both times I saw him.

He's still a kid and he will learn. He's smart and skilled. And now he looks like he's learning.


No criticism towards you. Heck, Team Canada didn't want him around. Ho-Sang has elite hands and vision. The Isles have a keeper.

It will be fun to watch Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, and Barzal bring in a wave of high end talent to the Isles.
RE: Interesting celebration  
feelflows : 3/15/2017 10:44 am : link
In comment 13393540 Mike in Long Beach said:
Quote:


Mike.. I love that Clutterbuck jabs him in the back as well. Ha.
RE: RE: RE: Feelflows, your observation of Ho-Sang is interesting  
feelflows : 3/15/2017 10:45 am : link
In comment 13393792 marbles said:
Quote:
In comment 13393749 feelflows said:


Quote:


In comment 13393647 marbles said:


Quote:


The kid was immature, and apparently overslept during camp. And he was also viewed as a hotdog on the ice.

Maybe Thompson should get some credit for helping Ho-Sang get ready for NHL.

And it could also be that Ho-Sang is brash enough to think he is NHL teady and gets bored in the minors. Not making excused for him. Because he has been a jolt of caffeine this team needed.

While he may not be a natural goal scorer, his one-timer was a sniper-esque goal.



Oh, I agree with everything you just typed.. I'm just making an observation on how he was playing in the AHL both times I saw him.

He's still a kid and he will learn. He's smart and skilled. And now he looks like he's learning.



No criticism towards you. Heck, Team Canada didn't want him around. Ho-Sang has elite hands and vision. The Isles have a keeper.

It will be fun to watch Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, and Barzal bring in a wave of high end talent to the Isles.


Poor Dal Colle
RE: RE: RE: RE: Feelflows, your observation of Ho-Sang is interesting  
marbles : 3/15/2017 10:54 am : link
In comment 13393800 feelflows said:
Quote:
In comment 13393792 marbles said:


Quote:


In comment 13393749 feelflows said:


Quote:


In comment 13393647 marbles said:


Quote:


The kid was immature, and apparently overslept during camp. And he was also viewed as a hotdog on the ice.

Maybe Thompson should get some credit for helping Ho-Sang get ready for NHL.

And it could also be that Ho-Sang is brash enough to think he is NHL teady and gets bored in the minors. Not making excused for him. Because he has been a jolt of caffeine this team needed.

While he may not be a natural goal scorer, his one-timer was a sniper-esque goal.



Oh, I agree with everything you just typed.. I'm just making an observation on how he was playing in the AHL both times I saw him.

He's still a kid and he will learn. He's smart and skilled. And now he looks like he's learning.



No criticism towards you. Heck, Team Canada didn't want him around. Ho-Sang has elite hands and vision. The Isles have a keeper.

It will be fun to watch Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, and Barzal bring in a wave of high end talent to the Isles.



Poor Dal Colle


Ha! I didn't add Dal Colle because he seems at least another year away. The other three should all be on next year's roster.

But yes, I do look forward to Dal Colle and Bellows as the next group. And it is interesting since they are billed as goalscorer, while JAM (first name acronym) are playmakers first.

And we won't even discuss the defensemen...yet.
JAM  
feelflows : 3/15/2017 11:43 am : link
I like it!!

I honestly thought Ho Sang was nowhere close to NHL ready. And Dal Colle disappears a lot in the AHL games.

That being said, I wrote it off to them adjusting to the Pro game. I still think MDC will be a 25+ goal scorer in the NHL. He finds open spaces and has a wicked shot. He was productive when JHS and Winquist were on his line. He needs someone to feed him the puck.

Soundtigers Tickets  
feelflows : 3/15/2017 11:45 am : link
Does anybody want a pair of free tickets to see the Soundtigers play in Allentown be Phantoms? Playoff implications. Next Sunday 5:05 pm. I will be out of town.

Let me know and I will email you tix.
Here's the image I referenced above  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/15/2017 12:21 pm : link
Which seems to have been removed.

HoSang  
The 12th Man : 3/15/2017 1:27 pm : link
is the trade they needed at the deadline that they were not able to make. The fact that he was able to come up and has fit in the way he has is awesome for this team. He has given them some life and with the pass he made to JT can we not see him eventually on the 1st line with him. The talent is there and I think he never wants to see Bridgeport again, which the way he is playing I do not see that ever happening again.

Let Halak come back up and hope he plays solid and this would be like getting 2 key pieces for your team without trading anything at the deadline.
Back to the Corner