Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Trying to cancel an Anytime Fitness membership

montanagiant : 3/16/2017 2:12 pm
My son lives off campus near an Anytime Fitness. He signed up and has been using them for over a year so he fulfilled their contract and is on a month to month. He has been trying to cancel his membership for the last 2 months because he moved closer to campus and is using the school gym.

This cancellation is turning into a nightmare. He can only cancel by going in person to visit the Club and meeting with the Mgr who does not work weekends and is only there a couple hours @ day while my Son is in class. He also refuses to meet him when can make it or even leave the form he needs to fill out.

They so far have collected $90 plus they just docked him for $20 more as an "Equip. Enhancement Fee". When I try to help out I get the old "Your not on the account so we can't do anything" BS even though the money is coming out of my account. I contacted ABC Financial who handles the processing of the membership and they tell me I have to talk to the actual Gym and get a certified letter sent by them to allow me to communicate. It literally is a gauntlet to go through to cancel this shit. Now I am at the point where I want to stop the auto withdrawals but i know they will dock my credit for it because they are assholes like that.
Any Ideas?
Well, as much of a pain as it is when you hear them  
Brown Recluse : 3/16/2017 2:15 pm : link
tell you they can't help you because you aren't a member...its not BS. I wouldn't want to be a member of any place where they let anyone call in and make changes to my account without my permission.

Why is the manager the only one that can cancel it though? There should be someone else there who can do it. That part is definitely BS.
RE: Well, as much of a pain as it is when you hear them  
montanagiant : 3/16/2017 2:19 pm : link
In comment 13395312 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
tell you they can't help you because you aren't a member...its not BS. I wouldn't want to be a member of any place where they let anyone call in and make changes to my account without my permission.

Why is the manager the only one that can cancel it though? There should be someone else there who can do it. That part is definitely BS.

I agree except they had no problem doing it when we set it up for him. Regarding the Mgr only, It's the game they play at that one I guess. I go online and read all the nightmares associated with canceling that others have gone through. Anytime and ABC Financial do the "you need to talk to the other to get it fixed" game and meanwhile a month goes by and the money gets taken out. It's a pain in the ass
In the meantime...  
Giant John : 3/16/2017 2:23 pm : link
Cancel your card. Send them a registered letter ending your membership. I have a feeling you will get a call from someone.
You can also dispute the recurring charges with your card carrier  
Matt M. : 3/16/2017 2:28 pm : link
They may even get the gym or ABC financial on the phone with you to take care of this.
Yes cancel card  
mdthedream : 3/16/2017 2:29 pm : link
say you lost the card and would like a new one. They will send new card with new exp date. This will make it so they don't get paid.
I would contact whatever bank or credit card the payments come from  
Gary from The East End : Admin : 3/16/2017 2:34 pm : link
Tell them they are charging you without your permission and you want it to stop immediately.

I would also file a complaint with the state Attorney General.
I can just cancel the pymt  
montanagiant : 3/16/2017 2:34 pm : link
I don't need to get a new card. The problem is that I have read online these assholes go out of their way to mess with your credit when you do that
What John said.  
ctc in ftmyers : 3/16/2017 2:44 pm : link
Or set up a meet with the MGR on a weekend on the pretense to join and show up with your son and a lawyer to cancel account.














If it's a month by month contract, Just quit paying.

How much do you think it will hurt your credit for not continuing to be scammed?

The letter from the lawyer should have gone out the minute they tried to run you around.












Sorry for the space  
ctc in ftmyers : 3/16/2017 2:46 pm : link
enter tab must have stuck.
I doubt very much a report from Anytime FItness...  
Gary from The East End : Admin : 3/16/2017 2:52 pm : link
...is going to have much effect on your credit.

Again, a formal complaint to the State AG usually is enough to get these types of assholes to back off.

You could also sue them in small claims court to get your $90 back.
Why can't your son miss class once to take care of the matter?  
Diver_Down : 3/16/2017 3:03 pm : link
He shouldn't have to miss out of his schooling, but if the cancellation must be done by him in person with the manager, then it seems like he needs to arrange to miss a class to take care of the matter. I'm sure it won't be the first class he misses and it won't be the last.
Have your son go in there and record  
pjcas18 : 3/16/2017 3:07 pm : link
himself trying to cancel on his phone. and say he's going to post the history of his interaction on youtube and the college's web forum.

they hate publicity like that, someone will find the form to get his membership canceled.
send them a letter  
oghwga : 3/16/2017 3:14 pm : link
CC Division of Consumer Affairs.

Works every time
RE: Why can't your son miss class once to take care of the matter?  
Deej : 3/16/2017 3:49 pm : link
In comment 13395417 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
He shouldn't have to miss out of his schooling, but if the cancellation must be done by him in person with the manager, then it seems like he needs to arrange to miss a class to take care of the matter. I'm sure it won't be the first class he misses and it won't be the last.


The notion that cancellation must be done by him in person is a fallacy. It's a BS imposition by a business to make it seem harder to cancel. Barring a contractual provision (and I doubt it), a business cant just invent hoops to jump thru if you want to cancel. You have a right not to continue being a customer. "Store policy" isnt a thing.

A letter is the way to go. State in the letter (signed by the son) that you terminate the relationship immediately, or better yet effective the date you first contacted them, and that any attempt to bill going forward is unauthorized and will be reported to appropriate credit card issuers and/or law enforcement. It's theft.
Dispute the charges  
Cenotaph : 3/16/2017 3:59 pm : link
through your credit card. Tell them you have been trying to cancel the membership, however they are making you jump through hoops and not allowing you to cancel. Does the initial contract spell out this process for cancelling, even once a member is month to month?

Sounds like the 'meet w/the manager' is a combo stall tactic where they keep charging you/force the meeting so he can try to talk you back in - but they can't just refuse to meet you to avoid the cancellation. Document your attempts, send certified letter cancelling and dispute the charge/close your card out.
I wouldn't just cancel the auto payment  
steve in ky : 3/16/2017 4:02 pm : link
Refusal to pay an obligation doesn't mean you wouldn't still be responsible for the missed payments.

Have you tried contacting management at their home office instead of the local gym manager? IMO that would be the first step.

Also if you are signed on as a financial guarantor then somewhere you have to be consider on the account in some way.

Goof luck
LOL should read *good* luck  
steve in ky : 3/16/2017 4:03 pm : link
.
RE: I wouldn't just cancel the auto payment  
Deej : 3/16/2017 4:37 pm : link
In comment 13395493 steve in ky said:
Quote:
Refusal to pay an obligation doesn't mean you wouldn't still be responsible for the missed payments.

Have you tried contacting management at their home office instead of the local gym manager? IMO that would be the first step.

Also if you are signed on as a financial guarantor then somewhere you have to be consider on the account in some way.

Goof luck


No, that's playing into their game that there is a process. There isnt. A company cant just keep charging you for new product/service on the grounds that you didnt cancel in the manner they desire. Barring a contractual agreement otherwise.

Gyms making it hard to quit are a well known problem. Basically, it's a bit of a scam.

The letter is the way to go.
Deej  
steve in ky : 3/16/2017 4:45 pm : link
Regardless of his first step. My main point was that he shouldn't just stop the auto payment and expect it to go away.

I do agree with a letter, it would be proof to offer the credit card company in challenging the charges.

RE: Why can't your son miss class once to take care of the matter?  
montanagiant : 3/16/2017 5:05 pm : link
In comment 13395417 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
He shouldn't have to miss out of his schooling, but if the cancellation must be done by him in person with the manager, then it seems like he needs to arrange to miss a class to take care of the matter. I'm sure it won't be the first class he misses and it won't be the last.
He tried that twice, but they claim they guy is not there and his office is in the back where you can't verify if they are telling the truth
RE: Dispute the charges  
montanagiant : 3/16/2017 5:07 pm : link
In comment 13395486 Cenotaph said:
Quote:
through your credit card. Tell them you have been trying to cancel the membership, however they are making you jump through hoops and not allowing you to cancel. Does the initial contract spell out this process for cancelling, even once a member is month to month?

Sounds like the 'meet w/the manager' is a combo stall tactic where they keep charging you/force the meeting so he can try to talk you back in - but they can't just refuse to meet you to avoid the cancellation. Document your attempts, send certified letter cancelling and dispute the charge/close your card out.

Exactly what it is to grab a few more monthly dues. The cancellation stipulates a 30 day notice which he has given but they claim he needs to do another one because they don't have it. So he went 38 days ago and recorded himself handing the cancellation form to them which then turned this into the current problem
RE: I wouldn't just cancel the auto payment  
montanagiant : 3/16/2017 5:08 pm : link
In comment 13395493 steve in ky said:
Quote:
Refusal to pay an obligation doesn't mean you wouldn't still be responsible for the missed payments.

Have you tried contacting management at their home office instead of the local gym manager? IMO that would be the first step.

Also if you are signed on as a financial guarantor then somewhere you have to be consider on the account in some way.

Goof luck
Yeah they just blow it off because its a franchise owned branch. A big run around
RE: RE: I wouldn't just cancel the auto payment  
montanagiant : 3/16/2017 5:11 pm : link
In comment 13395595 montanagiant said:
Quote:
In comment 13395493 steve in ky said:


Quote:


Refusal to pay an obligation doesn't mean you wouldn't still be responsible for the missed payments.

Have you tried contacting management at their home office instead of the local gym manager? IMO that would be the first step.

Also if you are signed on as a financial guarantor then somewhere you have to be consider on the account in some way.

Goof luck

Yeah they just blow it off because its a franchise owned branch. A big run around

And yeah Steve that was my argument with ABC financial, they're taking the money out of my account which m3eans I am on the account. I actually called them back and recorded them saying I am not on the account again so if this gets nasty it at least closes of their avenue of using my credit. But that might hurt his which I don't want since he's just starting out pn his own
Canceled all auto withdrawals and had the $20 enhancement fee returned  
montanagiant : 3/16/2017 5:17 pm : link
Had my Co. Lawyer send cancellation letters to the Local Anytime, Their corp office, and ABC financial and added any further actions on their part to attempt any more collections of money will result in a complaint to the Atn. General and legal action.

Absurd I have to go to that extreme to legitimately have my son leave a gym he was paid in full on and had done all contract required actions to cancel
Montana  
steve in ky : 3/16/2017 5:17 pm : link
I would call the credit card company, explain the situation and tell them you want to dispute the charges.

Most cc company's are very responsive in assisting their customers in not getting "cheated" and usually will charge back unfair charges to the store if after investigating your claims they determine you are being wronged.

When I had my retail stores I had to sign an agreement with the company who processed my cc payments and there are clear guidelines we are supposed to stay within that protects the consumer. In other words they can't simply do whatever they want when using them as a 3rd party to bill you.

RE: Canceled all auto withdrawals and had the $20 enhancement fee returned  
steve in ky : 3/16/2017 5:19 pm : link
In comment 13395605 montanagiant said:
Quote:
Had my Co. Lawyer send cancellation letters to the Local Anytime, Their corp office, and ABC financial and added any further actions on their part to attempt any more collections of money will result in a complaint to the Atn. General and legal action.

Absurd I have to go to that extreme to legitimately have my son leave a gym he was paid in full on and had done all contract required actions to cancel


Glad it worked out. Shame you had to go though that aggravation..
wasn't there a successful class action lawsuit  
santacruzom : 3/16/2017 7:33 pm : link
against 24 Hour Fitness because of how difficult they made it to cancel?
RE: RE: Canceled all auto withdrawals and had the $20 enhancement fee returned  
montanagiant : 3/16/2017 9:06 pm : link
In comment 13395608 steve in ky said:
Quote:
In comment 13395605 montanagiant said:


Quote:


Had my Co. Lawyer send cancellation letters to the Local Anytime, Their corp office, and ABC financial and added any further actions on their part to attempt any more collections of money will result in a complaint to the Atn. General and legal action.

Absurd I have to go to that extreme to legitimately have my son leave a gym he was paid in full on and had done all contract required actions to cancel



Glad it worked out. Shame you had to go though that aggravation..

Thanks Steve, yeah a pain in the ass. The review they got today gave us some satisfaction
This is basically the standard  
Mr. Nickels : 3/16/2017 10:41 pm : link
to cancel a freaking gym membership these days. Absolute scumbags.

Back to the Corner