Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Giants & JPP agree to long term deal!

Josh in the City : 3/17/2017 11:21 am
@RapSheet
The #Giants and star pass-rusher Jason Pierre-Paul have agreed to terms on a multi-year contract, source said. Huge.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: ESPN  
halfback20 : 3/17/2017 1:41 pm : link
In comment 13396807 PaulN said:
Quote:
Is not reporting any figures, only saying what we already heard.

Mobile app had the 17 per and 54 gtd earlier. I didnt screenshot it tho
there  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/17/2017 1:44 pm : link
are no contract figures on Schefter's twitter account.
I see it now  
PaulN : 3/17/2017 1:45 pm : link
If you watch the film with the attachment above it reports those figures, shit if true.
RE: RE: ESPN  
Tyrion : 3/17/2017 1:45 pm : link
In comment 13396828 halfback20 said:
Quote:
In comment 13396807 PaulN said:


Quote:


Is not reporting any figures, only saying what we already heard.


Mobile app had the 17 per and 54 gtd earlier. I didnt screenshot it tho


I was seeing the same thing earlier.
Hit the link  
PaulN : 3/17/2017 1:45 pm : link
I sent and wait until the video starts, it shows those figures.
Its on  
PaulN : 3/17/2017 1:46 pm : link
After the 30 sec. ad.
I'm glad he has signed  
Rjanyg : 3/17/2017 1:50 pm : link
Hopefully a good deal for both parties. Not sure I want both Geno and Johnson at QB. I'm sure they will only keep one
...  
Josh in the City : 3/17/2017 1:55 pm : link
Quote:
@art_stapleton
Hearing Jason Pierre-Paul is expected at #Giants facility at some point today, so, again, agreement is in place. Anticipated signing to come
RE: I'm glad he has signed  
Ten Ton Hammer : 3/17/2017 1:59 pm : link
In comment 13396855 Rjanyg said:
Quote:
Hopefully a good deal for both parties. Not sure I want both Geno and Johnson at QB. I'm sure they will only keep one


No risk with Geno. He could be as temporary as Josh Freeman was.
He hasn't signed yet...  
Slade : 3/17/2017 2:00 pm : link
The proposal is indeed lucrative... but incentive laden.
slade  
Rocky369 : 3/17/2017 2:02 pm : link
Shefty needs to borrow your eraser.
...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/17/2017 2:03 pm : link
Tom Rock‏Verified account @TomRock_Newsday 22s22 seconds ago

JPP is the first 1st round pick by GM Jerry Reese to get a second long-term deal with the team.
RE: He hasn't signed yet...  
Jay on the Island : 3/17/2017 2:03 pm : link
In comment 13396880 Slade said:
Quote:
The proposal is indeed lucrative... but incentive laden.

Thanks Slade. Have you heard if they are going to focus on any particular FA now that they cleared some cap room>
...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/17/2017 2:03 pm : link
Art Stapleton‏Verified account @art_stapleton 13m13 minutes ago

Hearing Jason Pierre-Paul is expected at #Giants facility at some point today, so, again, agreement is in place. Anticipated signing to come
RE: ...  
Kevin in Annapolis : 3/17/2017 2:05 pm : link
In comment 13396888 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
Tom Rock‏Verified account @TomRock_Newsday 22s22 seconds ago

JPP is the first 1st round pick by GM Jerry Reese to get a second long-term deal with the team.


That is wild, a lot of guys unlucky with injuries, but still.
RE: ...  
MetsAreBack : 3/17/2017 2:06 pm : link
In comment 13396888 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
Tom Rock‏Verified account @TomRock_Newsday 22s22 seconds ago

JPP is the first 1st round pick by GM Jerry Reese to get a second long-term deal with the team.



Technically true, but also some lousy injury luck with David Wilson and Kenny Phillips in there.
RE: ...  
David in LA : 3/17/2017 2:08 pm : link
In comment 13396888 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
Tom Rock‏Verified account @TomRock_Newsday 22s22 seconds ago

JPP is the first 1st round pick by GM Jerry Reese to get a second long-term deal with the team.


It's so messed up that our 1st guy to get a 2nd long term deal blew up his hand. We had unusually shitty luck.
RE: RE: ...  
Kevin in Annapolis : 3/17/2017 2:08 pm : link
In comment 13396895 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
In comment 13396888 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


Tom Rock‏Verified account @TomRock_Newsday 22s22 seconds ago

JPP is the first 1st round pick by GM Jerry Reese to get a second long-term deal with the team.




Technically true, but also some lousy injury luck with David Wilson and Kenny Phillips in there.


And Nicks
RE: RE: Dan Duggan  
Big Rick in FL : 3/17/2017 2:10 pm : link
In comment 13396823 Gatorade Dunk said:
Quote:
In comment 13396627 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


Is saying the numbers that are out there aren't accurate. Plus everybody needs to stop looking at the 17 million a year number. It's fake. Guaranteed money is the only thing that matters.


Yet again, you're wrong. The non-guaranteed matters also as long as he's on the roster and under contract. I don't know why you seem to think that players only get paid the guaranteed portion.


Because he's probably never going to see the end of the contract. Just like most free agent signings in the NFL.
RE: RE: ...  
adamg : 3/17/2017 2:12 pm : link
In comment 13396895 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
In comment 13396888 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


Tom Rock‏Verified account @TomRock_Newsday 22s22 seconds ago

JPP is the first 1st round pick by GM Jerry Reese to get a second long-term deal with the team.




Technically true, but also some lousy injury luck with David Wilson and Kenny Phillips in there.


If you look through the list, you can't really point to any mistakes on not re-signing guys, and it's virtually all due to injury:

Wilson, Amukamara, Nicks, Phillips, and Ross are the players in question.

And based on the beat reporters', it sounds like that percentage is about to be changed significantly: Pugh, Beckham, and Apple all seem to be ripe for second contracts (unless they too fall the way of ill-health). Flowers is still in limbo.
RE: RE: RE: Dan Duggan  
Big Rick in FL : 3/17/2017 2:14 pm : link
In comment 13396901 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
In comment 13396823 Gatorade Dunk said:


Quote:


In comment 13396627 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


Is saying the numbers that are out there aren't accurate. Plus everybody needs to stop looking at the 17 million a year number. It's fake. Guaranteed money is the only thing that matters.


Yet again, you're wrong. The non-guaranteed matters also as long as he's on the roster and under contract. I don't know why you seem to think that players only get paid the guaranteed portion.



Because he's probably never going to see the end of the contract. Just like most free agent signings in the NFL.


Not to mention bonuses & incentives. We have no clue how that's broken down. Everytime we first see a contract it looks huge. Then the actual numbers come out and it isn't nearly as big as originally thought.
RE: ...  
Rory : 3/17/2017 2:18 pm : link
In comment 13396888 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
Tom Rock‏Verified account @TomRock_Newsday 22s22 seconds ago

JPP is the first 1st round pick by GM Jerry Reese to get a second long-term deal with the team.


You think that factor has to weigh a bit on Reese's decision to stay committed to him over the years.
RE: RE: RE: ...  
David in LA : 3/17/2017 2:23 pm : link
In comment 13396910 adamg said:
Quote:
In comment 13396895 MetsAreBack said:


Quote:


In comment 13396888 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


Tom Rock‏Verified account @TomRock_Newsday 22s22 seconds ago

JPP is the first 1st round pick by GM Jerry Reese to get a second long-term deal with the team.




Technically true, but also some lousy injury luck with David Wilson and Kenny Phillips in there.



If you look through the list, you can't really point to any mistakes on not re-signing guys, and it's virtually all due to injury:

Wilson, Amukamara, Nicks, Phillips, and Ross are the players in question.

And based on the beat reporters', it sounds like that percentage is about to be changed significantly: Pugh, Beckham, and Apple all seem to be ripe for second contracts (unless they too fall the way of ill-health). Flowers is still in limbo.


Ross just wasn't that good IMO. He was an ok pick. Steve Smith wasn't a first, but still, he should have been a Giant for a long time.
Reese  
PaulN : 3/17/2017 2:25 pm : link
Has made some bad draft picks, especially in the later rounds, but everyone does, the problem recently of coarse is the offensive line, and with Eli as the franchise QB and him getting older now, it is imperative to have a good offensive line.

But overall Reese has done a decent job, the biggest problem overall has been injuries, no doubt there has been too much bad luck. But we have to hope that the luck has changed and hope that Flowers works hard, which I doubt he has, and that Fluker works his ass off, if that happens and Pugh and Richburg improve a little and stay healthy, who knows, maybe we can make it 3 for 3 against the pats, we are the only ones that seem to be capable of beating them.
Reese  
AcidTest : 3/17/2017 2:26 pm : link
isn't an idiot. He's going to protect himself and the organization. My guess is that they have some kind of "out" after two or maybe three years, just as Eli's career is ending. This is done to give us one final chance at a SB with these players before their careers end, and to not undue the $200M we spent on defense last year.
Meant  
AcidTest : 3/17/2017 2:27 pm : link
undo.
My issue with JPP is his ability to stay on the field...I hope there  
That’s Gold, Jerry : 3/17/2017 2:27 pm : link
is something in the contract with respect to that. No question he is a good player but can he stay on the field?
RE: RE: ...  
Jesse B : 3/17/2017 2:31 pm : link
In comment 13396895 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
In comment 13396888 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


Tom Rock‏Verified account @TomRock_Newsday 22s22 seconds ago

JPP is the first 1st round pick by GM Jerry Reese to get a second long-term deal with the team.




Technically true, but also some lousy injury luck with David Wilson and Kenny Phillips in there.


Hakeem nicks and prince anukamara as well.
JPP is in the Giants building now  
SimpleMan : 3/17/2017 2:34 pm : link
from Tom Rock Twitter. Should be signing the deal soon.
4 years/$62 million  
bigblue12 : 3/17/2017 2:37 pm : link
up to $66m with $40 million guaranteed per Ian Rapoport
Terms  
Saos1n : 3/17/2017 2:38 pm : link
Quote:
#Giants pass-rusher Jason Pierre-Paul signed a 4-year contract worth $62M base – up $66M – with $40M guaranteed, source said. Big-time 💰💰
Should  
Jon in NYC : 3/17/2017 2:38 pm : link
free up some significant money, assuming it is structured well.
Per Rapoport  
Saos1n : 3/17/2017 2:38 pm : link
.
Wow that's  
ryanmkeane : 3/17/2017 2:39 pm : link
actually pretty good for Giants. 15 and change per season, only 40M guaranteed. Not bad!
Seems like a fair deal  
Heisenberg : 3/17/2017 2:40 pm : link
.
Alooooot of money.  
Dave in Hoboken : 3/17/2017 2:40 pm : link
Hope he can hold up these next 4 years. I am happy it's 4 years and not a day more than that, at least. Still, alot of money. Hope he can get home alittle more often next season.
Didn't Raanan recently say they weren't close on a deal?  
Stan in LA : 3/17/2017 2:41 pm : link
He was 100% off then...
4 years is the right length  
spike : 3/17/2017 2:41 pm : link
up to his age 32 season
Let's Go!  
adamg : 3/17/2017 2:41 pm : link
It's  
AcidTest : 3/17/2017 2:42 pm : link
probably structured so that after year three, there's very little cap hit. Depending on the exact terms, it seems fair for both sides.
RE: Didn't Raanan recently say they weren't close on a deal?  
adamg : 3/17/2017 2:42 pm : link
In comment 13396990 Stan in LA said:
Quote:
He was 100% off then...


Yeah. He also said BMarsh wouldn't be signed here.
so the  
spike : 3/17/2017 2:42 pm : link
JPP and Vernon bookend will continue for 4 seasons, which should be the ELI WINDOW.
Contract seems very similar to Calais Campbell (31 YO) + extra gtd $  
Eric on Li : 3/17/2017 2:43 pm : link
which makes sense since JPP had the leverage of the tag. Fair deal all the way around for both sides. Now get Hank signed.
RE: Didn't Raanan recently say they weren't close on a deal?  
Heisenberg : 3/17/2017 2:43 pm : link
In comment 13396990 Stan in LA said:
Quote:
He was 100% off then...


I think that was over a week ago.
RE: RE: Didn't Raanan recently say they weren't close on a deal?  
Stan in LA : 3/17/2017 2:45 pm : link
In comment 13396995 adamg said:
Quote:
In comment 13396990 Stan in LA said:


Quote:


He was 100% off then...



Yeah. He also said BMarsh wouldn't be signed here.


He's been nailing it!
Geesh, you'd think that the fans had to pay JPP.  
SB 42 and 46 and ? : 3/17/2017 4:01 pm : link
Well, maybe season ticket holders will have to pay some.

It's not even the owners' money, at least not out of pocket. The Giants annual revenue is almost a half a billion dollars and under two hundred thousand goes to the cost of players. The owners are already wealthy and they want to win just as much as the fans.

Besides JPP's sacks, it's also his batted down passes and the help that Vernon, on the other side of the line, gets because they can't double both ends. Vernon had only a half a sack in the last five games of the season without JPP, including Green Bay.

It's a gamble that his health and productivity stay high, but you gamble on all the players. If you want to stop Brady and Rodgers, you have to have pressure on them. If you want to stop Dak and Zeke, and win at least one against the 'Boys, you have to have players equally good lined up against them.

I'm already excited about seeing this defense back on the field.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Dan Duggan  
Gatorade Dunk : 3/17/2017 4:31 pm : link
In comment 13396913 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
In comment 13396901 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


In comment 13396823 Gatorade Dunk said:


Quote:


In comment 13396627 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


Is saying the numbers that are out there aren't accurate. Plus everybody needs to stop looking at the 17 million a year number. It's fake. Guaranteed money is the only thing that matters.


Yet again, you're wrong. The non-guaranteed matters also as long as he's on the roster and under contract. I don't know why you seem to think that players only get paid the guaranteed portion.



Because he's probably never going to see the end of the contract. Just like most free agent signings in the NFL.



Not to mention bonuses & incentives. We have no clue how that's broken down. Everytime we first see a contract it looks huge. Then the actual numbers come out and it isn't nearly as big as originally thought.

Doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. It's not just the guaranteed dollars that matter. Milton did a good job of detailing how the first three years of a large multiyear contract are the most important thing, much more than the guaranteed/non-guaranteed breakdown.
...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/17/2017 4:42 pm : link
"Big News Friday"?
does anybody really know how much money this signing  
Jersey55 : 3/17/2017 5:02 pm : link
will free up for the team to use this year for FA player signings, if any..
RE: Geesh, you'd think that the fans had to pay JPP.  
Danny Kanell : 3/17/2017 5:27 pm : link
In comment 13397226 SB 42 and 46 and ? said:
Quote:
Well, maybe season ticket holders will have to pay some.

It's not even the owners' money, at least not out of pocket. The Giants annual revenue is almost a half a billion dollars and under two hundred thousand goes to the cost of players. The owners are already wealthy and they want to win just as much as the fans.

Besides JPP's sacks, it's also his batted down passes and the help that Vernon, on the other side of the line, gets because they can't double both ends. Vernon had only a half a sack in the last five games of the season without JPP, including Green Bay.

It's a gamble that his health and productivity stay high, but you gamble on all the players. If you want to stop Brady and Rodgers, you have to have pressure on them. If you want to stop Dak and Zeke, and win at least one against the 'Boys, you have to have players equally good lined up against them.

I'm already excited about seeing this defense back on the field.


You're completely missing the point as to why fans sometimes are unhappy with contracts given to players. Completely missing the point.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner