Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Why are we even in the Olympics?

ctc in ftmyers : 3/17/2017 6:02 pm
Look at PJ'S post.

USA Hockey reply linked
pjcas18 : 5:46 pm : link : reply
seems like they're improving their offer, but not close to what the women are demanding. I don't see a happy ending, unless someone caves.

Some excerpts...

Quote:
Update On Women's National Team Issues
03/17/2017, 3:15pm MDT
By USA Hockey

USA Hockey today issued a document that addresses many of the issues surrounding the on-going dialogue with representatives of the U.S. Women’s National Team. It can be found below.

“We remain committed to having the players that were selected to represent the U.S. in the upcoming women’s world championship to be the players that are on the ice when the tournament begins,” said Dave Ogrean, executive director of USA Hockey.

USA Hockey is contacting legal representatives of the players to have further conversations in an attempt to resolve the matter.


Quote:
What are Players Demands?

According to our calculations, the players’ demands would result in total player compensation in an Olympic year of approximately $210,000 per player if the team attains a silver medal and $237,000 for a gold medal. The total includes requested player compensation, per game payments, travel for a guest to every event and exhibition game, roster bonus, performance bonuses, training stipends, and benefits and payroll taxes that would be required under the proposal. This does not include the operational expenses of the team, including housing stipend, travel allowances, meal expenses, medical and disability insurance and the infrastructure that includes elite-level support staff to train and prepare the players, which in preparation for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games totaled more than $2 million. Further, the demands from the players also include a wide variety of other financial obligations to USA Hockey, such as business class airfare on flights of more than three hours, day care, nanny support and increased staffing that total more than $1.3 million.

Additionally, in a non-Olympic year, according to our calculations, the players’ demands would result in approximately $146,000 per player for a silver-medal performance and approximately $149,000 each for gold. The additional operational expenses of the team noted above are not included in those figures. Further, the demands from the players (business class airfare on flights of more than three hours, day care, nanny support and increased staffing, etc.) total more than $830,000.

In total, the player's demands, including compensation, benefits and other expenses of operating the program, exceed $8 million in an Olympic year and $5.7 in a non-Olympic year.

Link - ( New Window )

Why are the Olympics relevant in today's world of everyone gets a trophy, lose money for the host country, and to make the network that buys the rights billions?
Can we please stop with the "everyone gets a trophy" false  
PhiPsi125 : 3/17/2017 6:34 pm : link
Narrative and how its the reason for soft/entitled athletes of this generation. So tired of people getting on their soapboxes to talk about this false non-issue.

Sorry for the mini-rant ctc. I know its not necessarily the entire point of your post but it just drives me nuts.
RE: Can we please stop with the  
section125 : 3/17/2017 7:09 pm : link
In comment 13397501 PhiPsi125 said:
Quote:
Narrative and how its the reason for soft/entitled athletes of this generation. So tired of people getting on their soapboxes to talk about this false non-issue.

Sorry for the mini-rant ctc. I know its not necessarily the entire point of your post but it just drives me nuts.


Well you are wrong. Everyone gets a trophy mentality is real and pervasive. If you can't see it, then your head is in the sand.
I apologize if I read your post.

Olympics  
JerebilJ : 3/17/2017 7:29 pm : link
Can't blame these women for trying to get paid. But just add it to the list of financial struggles the Olympics are facing. Don't see how the Olympics can continue to exist in its current form over the next 2 decades. Fewer and fewer countries want to take on the economic burden of hosting. Not many countries have the funding to field strong competition. Ad revenue will drop with fewer viewers. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Insane amount of money  
NYG27 : 3/17/2017 7:31 pm : link
Most people only watch sport like Women's Hockey once every 4 years. I can understand asking to be compensated for those Olympic years. Although their demands also ask to be compensated for the non-Olympic years. USOC would need to shell out $25 million to just the Women's Hockey team every 4 years.

If the USOC goes down that road, no stopping the other sports from doing the game. Women's Soccer would be next. What about the Women's Gymnastics team which create some of the largest ratings, they wouldn't be far off from requesting to be sponsored and paid in a similar method.

I don't like the USOC or most Olympic Committees, as I think they are a bunch of crooks! Although at the same time, I can't see them meeting those demands and opening the door for all the other Olympic teams to make similar requests as the risk of boycotting the event.
Why should some one get paid for doing  
ctc in ftmyers : 3/17/2017 7:56 pm : link
something they want to do that nobody cares about?

Believe it or not, women's hockey is alive and well in SW Fla. We actually have a senior travel team that goes around the state,

my point is, just because someone is passionate about a sport that only a few are, why is it others responsibility to pay the freight?
RE: Insane amount of money  
Matt M. : 3/17/2017 7:58 pm : link
In comment 13397555 NYG27 said:
Quote:
Most people only watch sport like Women's Hockey once every 4 years. I can understand asking to be compensated for those Olympic years. Although their demands also ask to be compensated for the non-Olympic years. USOC would need to shell out $25 million to just the Women's Hockey team every 4 years.

If the USOC goes down that road, no stopping the other sports from doing the game. Women's Soccer would be next. What about the Women's Gymnastics team which create some of the largest ratings, they wouldn't be far off from requesting to be sponsored and paid in a similar method.

I don't like the USOC or most Olympic Committees, as I think they are a bunch of crooks! Although at the same time, I can't see them meeting those demands and opening the door for all the other Olympic teams to make similar requests as the risk of boycotting the event.
Women's soccer wouldn't be next. It was first a few years back.
Girls play hockey?  
Giant John : 3/17/2017 8:05 pm : link
Who knew?
RE: RE: Can we please stop with the  
Jim in Fairfax : 3/17/2017 8:12 pm : link
In comment 13397531 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 13397501 PhiPsi125 said:


Quote:


Narrative and how its the reason for soft/entitled athletes of this generation. So tired of people getting on their soapboxes to talk about this false non-issue.

Sorry for the mini-rant ctc. I know its not necessarily the entire point of your post but it just drives me nuts.



Well you are wrong. Everyone gets a trophy mentality is real and pervasive. If you can't see it, then your head is in the sand.
I apologize if I read your post.


Did the Olympics start awarding Zinc, Tin, Lead and Manganese medals when I wasn't looking?
I like fishing.  
fivehead : 3/17/2017 8:16 pm : link
I demand that people pay for my boat, tackle, travel expenses, and beer.
RE: RE: Can we please stop with the  
PhiPsi125 : 3/17/2017 8:24 pm : link
In comment 13397531 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 13397501 PhiPsi125 said:


Quote:


Narrative and how its the reason for soft/entitled athletes of this generation. So tired of people getting on their soapboxes to talk about this false non-issue.

Sorry for the mini-rant ctc. I know its not necessarily the entire point of your post but it just drives me nuts.



Well you are wrong. Everyone gets a trophy mentality is real and pervasive. If you can't see it, then your head is in the sand.
I apologize if I read your post.


Come on. Gimme a break with this. None of this has anything to do with participation trophies and the whole uproar about it is laughable. Nor is the participation trophy a new thing. I grew up playing sports in the 80's and guess what...we got participation trophies also. But I bet you think that I'm still shining those babies up every night thinking about how much of a sports stud I was at 8 years old.

I coach both of my sons in 3 sports and have done so since they have been 5 years old (now 10 and 12 years old). Participation trophies stop around ages 7 or 8. And during those years we typically don't count stats or wins or losses. The primary goal is to develop kids and get them to...wait for it...participate. You really think that kids 8 or younger are getting participation trophies and developing some type of entitlement? Not likely. Reality is that kids forget about the darn trophy before they even walk in their house after receiving it.

Like I said, the whole uproar about participation trophies is nonsensical and laughable. It means absolutely nothing.
So true  
LCtheINTMachine : 3/17/2017 8:28 pm : link
Everybody gets a trophy these days.

Look at NCAA hoops. Teams celebrate getting into the tournament and Sweet 16. Where's the championship or bust mentality.

Same with football and bowl games, everybody makes a bowl and these kids get gifts. Where's the incentive to win if you are definitely getting a bowl game.
PhiPsi125  
ctc in ftmyers : 3/17/2017 8:38 pm : link
Just to set the record straight. That wasn't MY point.

My point is, just because adults want to do something that others don't care about, why is it the others responsibility to pay for their "hobby" so that they can get paid?

Accept that you are wrong. Everybody does not get a trophy  
PhiPsi125 : 3/17/2017 8:38 pm : link
these days.

And earning your way into the NCAA tournament or a bowl game is an accomplishment within itself (since NOT every team gets these opportunities). Teams/players aren't supposed to be happy or celebrate this accomplishment? And just because they celebrate this accomplishment means that they don't have a winning desire? I'd say you are 1000% wrong.
ctc, I know that wasn't your point. I just read the end of your  
PhiPsi125 : 3/17/2017 8:44 pm : link
post and it struck a cord. Didn't mean to misrepresent your post or hijack your thread.

I just find the whole thing around participation trophies to be heinously false and hypocritical. Mostly because many of the people complaining about them likely have a few in their closet somewhere.

Anyway, sorry about that bud.
RE: Accept that you are wrong. Everybody does not get a trophy  
ctc in ftmyers : 3/17/2017 8:44 pm : link
In comment 13397634 PhiPsi125 said:
Quote:
these days.

And earning your way into the NCAA tournament or a bowl game is an accomplishment within itself (since NOT every team gets these opportunities). Teams/players aren't supposed to be happy or celebrate this accomplishment? And just because they celebrate this accomplishment means that they don't have a winning desire? I'd say you are 1000% wrong.


Hope that was to LC because I agree with you 100%.

We are good  
ctc in ftmyers : 3/17/2017 8:45 pm : link
Thanks
RE: RE: Accept that you are wrong. Everybody does not get a trophy  
PhiPsi125 : 3/17/2017 8:45 pm : link
In comment 13397638 ctc in ftmyers said:
Quote:
In comment 13397634 PhiPsi125 said:


Quote:


these days.

And earning your way into the NCAA tournament or a bowl game is an accomplishment within itself (since NOT every team gets these opportunities). Teams/players aren't supposed to be happy or celebrate this accomplishment? And just because they celebrate this accomplishment means that they don't have a winning desire? I'd say you are 1000% wrong.



Hope that was to LC because I agree with you 100%.


Lol, it was.
I stand by my point  
LCtheINTMachine : 3/17/2017 9:13 pm : link
In the NFL, we don't celebrate the Falcons. Why would we when they choked?

Everybody wins in college sports, there are four hoops postseason tournaments and umpteen bowls. If you think they all mean something, there is something wrong with you. It gives kids an entitled sense of accomplishment. Losing teams playing postseason? I know it happens in the NFL sometimes but those teams are rightly riduculed for winning a crap division.
RE: Why should some one get paid for doing  
jcn56 : 3/17/2017 9:16 pm : link
In comment 13397584 ctc in ftmyers said:
Quote:
something they want to do that nobody cares about?

Believe it or not, women's hockey is alive and well in SW Fla. We actually have a senior travel team that goes around the state,

my point is, just because someone is passionate about a sport that only a few are, why is it others responsibility to pay the freight?


This seems more complicated than it needs to be - they said they want equitable treatment or they won't play.

The USA Hockey management says it's not worth it to give them equitable treatment.

OK, well, simple resolution - if nobody cares, then let them walk and that's that. If not, then they should be compensated fairly, if not equally.

Seems like everyone wants to shout 'hey, nobody cares about women's hockey' while somehow being miffed that these women will hold out and expecting that they should be happy with what they get.
RE: I stand by my point  
ctc in ftmyers : 3/17/2017 9:20 pm : link
In comment 13397668 LCtheINTMachine said:
Quote:
In the NFL, we don't celebrate the Falcons. Why would we when they choked?

Everybody wins in college sports, there are four hoops postseason tournaments and umpteen bowls. If you think they all mean something, there is something wrong with you. It gives kids an entitled sense of accomplishment. Losing teams playing postseason? I know it happens in the NFL sometimes but those teams are rightly riduculed for winning a crap division.


Then you don't understand the difference between amateur and pro sports and their funding mechanisms.
RE: I stand by my point  
Jim in Fairfax : 3/17/2017 9:29 pm : link
In comment 13397668 LCtheINTMachine said:
Quote:
In the NFL, we don't celebrate the Falcons. Why would we when they choked?

Everybody wins in college sports, there are four hoops postseason tournaments and umpteen bowls. If you think they all mean something, there is something wrong with you. It gives kids an entitled sense of accomplishment. Losing teams playing postseason? I know it happens in the NFL sometimes but those teams are rightly riduculed for winning a crap division.


So you're saying all the players get individual trophies for participating in the Dollar General and Motel 6 bowls? Runners up too?

And I must have missed the NCAA first round trophies ceremony yesterday.
jnc  
ctc in ftmyers : 3/17/2017 9:29 pm : link
"OK, well, simple resolution - if nobody cares, then let them walk and that's that. If not, then they should be compensated fairly, if not equally."

85 grand a year plus expenses for a product that many don't care about. That's what they are getting now.

What earning bracket does that put them in compared with the rest of us working stiffs?

Well not me, I'm retired. :)

RE: RE: I stand by my point  
LCtheINTMachine : 3/17/2017 9:56 pm : link
In comment 13397687 Jim in Fairfax said:
Quote:
In comment 13397668 LCtheINTMachine said:


Quote:


In the NFL, we don't celebrate the Falcons. Why would we when they choked?

Everybody wins in college sports, there are four hoops postseason tournaments and umpteen bowls. If you think they all mean something, there is something wrong with you. It gives kids an entitled sense of accomplishment. Losing teams playing postseason? I know it happens in the NFL sometimes but those teams are rightly riduculed for winning a crap division.



So you're saying all the players get individual trophies for participating in the Dollar General and Motel 6 bowls? Runners up too?

And I must have missed the NCAA first round trophies ceremony yesterday.


Right the players get gift bags and whatnot for making a postseason hoops or bowl. You didn't know this?

RE: RE: RE: I stand by my point  
Jim in Fairfax : 3/17/2017 10:09 pm : link
In comment 13397707 LCtheINTMachine said:
Quote:


Right the players get gift bags and whatnot for making a postseason hoops or bowl. You didn't know this?

Wow, gift bags are trophies? My wife got a gift bag at her law conference last month. I was going to put my morning coffee in the nice insulated mug she got, but I guess I better put it on the mantle instead.
I love the Olympics!  
trueblueinpw : 3/17/2017 10:33 pm : link
I'm not sure I understand how the female USA Hockey thing figures in here and I've already made my points on that matter over on that thread.

What I don't understand about the Olympics is why we allow professionals athletes to compete in the games. Especially for sports like ice hockey and basketball. What's the point there? USA Dream Team? Ugh...

I love the stories of the athletes and the competition of the games. They're exciting to watch and I think the ideals of the Olympics, if not always the realities are a wonderful aspect of the human spirit.
RE: jnc  
jcn56 : 3/18/2017 12:53 am : link
In comment 13397688 ctc in ftmyers said:
Quote:
"OK, well, simple resolution - if nobody cares, then let them walk and that's that. If not, then they should be compensated fairly, if not equally."

85 grand a year plus expenses for a product that many don't care about. That's what they are getting now.

What earning bracket does that put them in compared with the rest of us working stiffs?

Well not me, I'm retired. :)


They don't compare to us working stiffs, though. They're Olympic athletes. They are to be compared against other Olympic athletes.

And if it's purely a business decision, so be it. But if it's OK to say 'well, it's business and we don't think you should justifiably be paid equally', then they have a right to pack up shop and not play without anyone questioning or criticizing them, no different from any other business opportunity/job available to someone.
The Olympics sucked  
buford : 3/18/2017 7:35 am : link
when they started letting professionals in.
Back to the Corner