Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Manchester by the Sea movie

montanagiant : 3/18/2017 4:09 pm
I'm I not getting something here? Saw it last night (I know late to the party) and it took all my effort to not fall asleep during it. That pacing is brutal and wtf with the unresolved issues that they devoted 2 hours to drawing out?

What exactly is the story they are telling here? That the kid is a self-absorbed ass who is more interested in getting laid than his father dying? That the Uncle is a miserable socially inept wracked with guilt guy who likes to fight? I understand that we are all flawed to some degree and that this is a family with a huge ton of grief but did it really take 2 hours to tell that and then leave everyone hanging?
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Touching slice of life movie  
aquidneck : 3/18/2017 4:40 pm : link
Nice and slow and with feeling is often the way I like to take it.
RE: but WAIT  
Jints in Carolina : 3/18/2017 4:41 pm : link
In comment 13398306 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
no car chase? No booby shots? No Paint By Numbers obvious sense of injustice and violent cycle of revenge?

Wha Fuchy?

Me no Happy now!


asshole alert
RE: but WAIT  
j_rud : 3/18/2017 4:41 pm : link
In comment 13398306 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
no car chase? No booby shots? No Paint By Numbers obvious sense of injustice and violent cycle of revenge?

Wha Fuchy?

Me no Happy now!


That's right, you're simply more emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually evolved than society at large. It must be tough being so in touch with yourself that you can't get in touch with the unwashed masses. Hey, you should make a movie about *that*!

RE: RE: RE: I loved it.  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 4:41 pm : link
In comment 13398305 j_rud said:
Quote:
In comment 13398289 montanagiant said:


Quote:


In comment 13398279 j_rud said:


Quote:


You seem to be bothered by "unresolved issues". How often I. Real life to things get tied up in a nice, neat little bow? Felt very true to life IMO. There are few 100% happy endings. Oftentimes things just get a little better, as they did by the end of the movie.

Also think you're misreading and/or simplifying the characters motivations.


I can appreciate a movie that remains unresolved, and I get how both helped each other a bit towards normalcy. To me, it just felt like a few snapshots of a story that could be more completely told and still have the unresolved aspect to it



Yeah,mo guess I can't argue that. I just liked it for what it was. Thought there were some great scenes, like when the kid was standing by the freezer, or the joke he made when they found the truck after being so cold. It just felt very "real" to me. I liked the way they told the story. I kinda got the vibe that it was WAY too much to be told in two hours, and I liked the ending. The kid got the boat and a hand to keep the business going, and (hopefully) Affleck's character was ready to start building towards a more involved life.
The one part I did like was how they illustrated the kids coping mechanism with his father's death. Where that part lost me though was how everyone looked at it as being normal and ok
RE: RE: but WAIT  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 4:43 pm : link
In comment 13398319 j_rud said:
Quote:
In comment 13398306 idiotsavant said:


Quote:


no car chase? No booby shots? No Paint By Numbers obvious sense of injustice and violent cycle of revenge?

Wha Fuchy?

Me no Happy now!



That's right, you're simply more emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually evolved than society at large. It must be tough being so in touch with yourself that you can't get in touch with the unwashed masses. Hey, you should make a movie about *that*!

And he only needed 6 posts (three of them in a row) to get that point of his higher enlightenment across to the rest of us poor illiterates
LOL at myself- JRUD, literally  
idiotsavant : 3/18/2017 4:43 pm : link
worth the price of admission.

I WISH I had the skill and talents to do just that. Sadly, its a very hard fuching type of movie to make!
lucky for me I mainly feel that way about Montana  
idiotsavant : 3/18/2017 4:45 pm : link
but, misery loves company I guess.
here is my less elitist snotty mea culpa on the film  
idiotsavant : 3/18/2017 4:46 pm : link
''to be less utterly juvenile (myself I mean)
idiotsavant : 4:38 pm : link : reply

the genius of the script was that they

1. avoided obvious verbal exposition, and also totally avoided

2. obvious, easy Hollywood plot turns.

In addition, they avoided

3. drawing moral conclusions, preaching and grandstanding.

Just one set of lives, transferred onto a screen, the hardest type of movie to make and a very fulfilling type.''
Horrible  
EJJ : 3/18/2017 4:47 pm : link
No ending. My wife and I were sitting there after watching this for two hours and then it just ends????? like is that it you gotta be f****** kidding me what a waste of time.
Casey Affleck for best actor for what give me a break.
.  
Danny Kanell : 3/18/2017 4:52 pm : link
I thought Casey Affleck was great. The movie itself was dreadful. Great story potential too. Just poorly executed imo.
RE: Horrible  
j_rud : 3/18/2017 4:52 pm : link
In comment 13398330 EJJ said:
Quote:
No ending. My wife and I were sitting there after watching this for two hours and then it just ends????? like is that it you gotta be f****** kidding me what a waste of time.
Casey Affleck for best actor for what give me a break.


It was absolutely an ending. Obviously just not one you liked. Exactly how would you have ended it? Affleck moves to Manchester, becomes the kids guardian, and starts having beers after work with his ex wife's new husband? Maybe he can babysit their kids. Maybe that would be some serious, Oscar-worthy emotional growth.

Seriously, how would you have ended it?
You would think a person with such higher intellect than all the rest  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 4:56 pm : link
Would not need Nine posts to try to get their point across while still failing miserably
You know what would have been a good twist to it?  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 4:57 pm : link
When he runs into the ex-wife while she is walking the baby she admits that it was actually her who mistakenly started the fire
Well, I liked it.  
Johnny5 : 3/18/2017 4:58 pm : link
It was definitely slow and different but I liked it. Not exactly a movie where you are whistling happily and jumping up and clicking your heels together afterwards though.... lol
RE: You know what would have been a good twist to it?  
j_rud : 3/18/2017 5:01 pm : link
In comment 13398339 montanagiant said:
Quote:
When he runs into the ex-wife while she is walking the baby she admits that it was actually her who mistakenly started the fire


Then Affleck could've punched her, too. He could've turned into the Bahhhhston guy from the Dunkin Donuts commercial from SNL. Domestic violence, shitty coffee. Benny Hill music. I smell BIG box office numbahs...
RE: RE: You know what would have been a good twist to it?  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 5:05 pm : link
In comment 13398347 j_rud said:
Quote:
In comment 13398339 montanagiant said:


Quote:


When he runs into the ex-wife while she is walking the baby she admits that it was actually her who mistakenly started the fire



Then Affleck could've punched her, too. He could've turned into the Bahhhhston guy from the Dunkin Donuts commercial from SNL. Domestic violence, shitty coffee. Benny Hill music. I smell BIG box office numbahs...

LMAO..No i honestly did not mean it that way. Maybe a humanizing effort of him by forgiving her
RE: RE: RE: You know what would have been a good twist to it?  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 5:06 pm : link
In comment 13398351 montanagiant said:
Quote:
In comment 13398347 j_rud said:


Quote:


In comment 13398339 montanagiant said:


Quote:


When he runs into the ex-wife while she is walking the baby she admits that it was actually her who mistakenly started the fire



Then Affleck could've punched her, too. He could've turned into the Bahhhhston guy from the Dunkin Donuts commercial from SNL. Domestic violence, shitty coffee. Benny Hill music. I smell BIG box office numbahs...


LMAO..No i honestly did not mean it that way. Maybe a humanizing effort of him by forgiving her

Correction:
a more humanizing aspect of him by the effort of forgiving her
RE: You know what would have been a good twist to it?  
UConn4523 : 3/18/2017 5:07 pm : link
In comment 13398339 montanagiant said:
Quote:
When he runs into the ex-wife while she is walking the baby she admits that it was actually her who mistakenly started the fire


I would have hated that. They story wasn't about her and it would have turned the narrative over unnecessarily. Not every movie needs a twist. I though MBTS was excellent and Affleck put on a powerful performance. The scene in the police station and the ending with his ex were brilliant.
RE: RE: You know what would have been a good twist to it?  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 5:08 pm : link
In comment 13398354 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 13398339 montanagiant said:


Quote:


When he runs into the ex-wife while she is walking the baby she admits that it was actually her who mistakenly started the fire



I would have hated that. They story wasn't about her and it would have turned the narrative over unnecessarily. Not every movie needs a twist. I though MBTS was excellent and Affleck put on a powerful performance. The scene in the police station and the ending with his ex were brilliant.

The two best scenes of the movie with the party/fire scene close behind
actually Montana, not that I am over being a total asshole  
idiotsavant : 3/18/2017 5:10 pm : link
and...sorry:

You got something there:


1. Remember the flashback scene? Happy family, all alive, but wife is in bed, middle of day, shut down also, but in a different way, possible personality disorder, without any obvious major problems at hand.

2. Firefighter at scene "wife got out/survived because she was on couch"

(couch was near fireplace where fire started)

Afflec character at station

"I was on couch, could not sleep, added wood to heat house, wife upstairs, I walked to deli two miles to get beer, since I was tweaking"

(so...if wife went downstairs...who left fire, lit fire? )

Was this obvious and I am dumb? I have not heard anyone mention it.
I thought that the ending was very true to life.  
yatqb : 3/18/2017 5:11 pm : link
The teen didn't understand the grief his uncle was carrying around until he saw the pictures of the children in his uncles' bedroom. Then, the uncle gave him the "gift" of telling him "I can't beat it" allowing the kids to know he wasn't being abandoned by a father figure who didn't give a crap about him. Then the uncle talked about having a two bedroom place so the teen could visit. And then they were fishing.

It said that their relationship would continue to be solid but imperfect, unlike my client whose mother died, after which his father sent him to his spinster aunts, supposedly for a weekend, only to leave him there for several years with no explanation or expressions of love.
RE: actually Montana, not that I am over being a total asshole  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 5:14 pm : link
In comment 13398365 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
and...sorry:

You got something there:


1. Remember the flashback scene? Happy family, all alive, but wife is in bed, middle of day, shut down also, but in a different way, possible personality disorder, without any obvious major problems at hand.

2. Firefighter at scene "wife got out/survived because she was on couch"

(couch was near fireplace where fire started)

Afflec character at station

"I was on couch, could not sleep, added wood to heat house, wife upstairs, I walked to deli two miles to get beer, since I was tweaking"

(so...if wife went downstairs...who left fire, lit fire? )

Was this obvious and I am dumb? I have not heard anyone mention it.

Was it his wife who left the range burners on? Maybe a bit of foreshadowing
you have been in a house with that layout  
idiotsavant : 3/18/2017 5:20 pm : link
basement has been reno'ed (where the party was)

First floor has kitchen, living and one bathroom.

Two bedrooms upstairs.

How is she on the couch and lives?

Afflec character is equally slayed by grief either way, his fault or not directly his fault, does not diminish his grief , its not a morality play.
if this is the case maybe she should have won best supporting actress  
idiotsavant : 3/18/2017 5:22 pm : link
fooled us all.

Also- she is HAWT!
it was a wood fireplace  
idiotsavant : 3/18/2017 5:24 pm : link
he added some wood since if it gets cold one of the kids cannot sleep typically .

then walked two miles each way to beat down his tweaking with some beer from the deli
RE: it was a wood fireplace  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 5:28 pm : link
In comment 13398401 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
he added some wood since if it gets cold one of the kids cannot sleep typically .

then walked two miles each way to beat down his tweaking with some beer from the deli

Earlier in the movie he wakes up and the house is a bit smoky, he goes into the kitchen and two burners were left on that he shuts off. But I can't remember if that was him or his brother who this happened to
dont remember  
idiotsavant : 3/18/2017 5:34 pm : link
layout is

basement party area

first floor is fireplace, living, bath and kitch

second floor is bath, kids room and parents room.

how is she on couch as fire starts?

you can see the homes small footprint during fire scene

for me, the foreshadow moment was the 'happy flashback scene', something slightly off there, also, her frustration with the party situation, its subtle, after all we are used to a slightly easier narrative, so we overlook it
on an semi related note...  
TexasGmenFan : 3/18/2017 6:00 pm : link
the lady and i just watched moonlight this week...completely didn't understand the hype. seemed way too choppy and didn't understand the point.
Watched it earlier this week.  
Section331 : 3/18/2017 6:12 pm : link
What I liked about it was its pacing and that it was somewhat unresolved. I will say that I was really looking forward to seeing it, but was a little underwhelmed at the finish. But I found that a day or 2 later, I couldn't get it out of my head.

How do you find redemption after what happened to Lee? I think that was the point, sometimes there is no redeeming. A sad but beautiful film.

It was realistic.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 3/18/2017 6:23 pm : link
For a lot of things in life there aren't happy endings. You just keep pushing through.
re-watched it last night  
Alan in Toledo : 3/18/2017 6:29 pm : link
Superb movie with fine acting all around. Doubt my younger self would have appreciated it.

Patience!
And maybe I'm misremembering,  
Section331 : 3/18/2017 6:30 pm : link
but I recall that the wife was rescued because their bedroom was on the first floor, while the kids slept upstairs.

And the kitchen fire occurred in the brother's house, when Lee fell asleep while heating spaghetti sauce.
RE: great movie  
BMac : 3/18/2017 6:37 pm : link
In comment 13398277 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
I will guess that there is much going on in life that you guys 'don't get'.


Horse's ass.
thats true, I was being a total asshole  
idiotsavant : 3/18/2017 6:52 pm : link
and also that's been vetted on the thread already, if you'd bother reading through it.

but what did you think of the film BMAC? I am wondering actually
RE: Watched it earlier this week.  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 7:22 pm : link
In comment 13398436 Section331 said:
Quote:
What I liked about it was its pacing and that it was somewhat unresolved. I will say that I was really looking forward to seeing it, but was a little underwhelmed at the finish. But I found that a day or 2 later, I couldn't get it out of my head.

How do you find redemption after what happened to Lee? I think that was the point, sometimes there is no redeeming. A sad but beautiful film.

One of the better breakdowns of it along with what Jrud wrote. Yeah now that yo mention it is was the brother where the range was left on
I didn't care for it either, yet my wife loved it  
PatersonPlank : 3/18/2017 7:28 pm : link
I guess it takes a certain taste.
RE: RE: I loved it.  
Matt M. : 3/18/2017 8:46 pm : link
In comment 13398289 montanagiant said:
Quote:
In comment 13398279 j_rud said:


Quote:


You seem to be bothered by "unresolved issues". How often I. Real life to things get tied up in a nice, neat little bow? Felt very true to life IMO. There are few 100% happy endings. Oftentimes things just get a little better, as they did by the end of the movie.

Also think you're misreading and/or simplifying the characters motivations.


I can appreciate a movie that remains unresolved, and I get how both helped each other a bit towards normalcy. To me, it just felt like a few snapshots of a story that could be more completely told and still have the unresolved aspect to it
I don't think they helped each other at all. I didn't expect a truly happy ending. But, I thought the ending they went with was terrible.

Look, I don't need everything to be all roses. But, I watch TV and movies to escape reality for a couple of hours. I found the ending the most depressing part, because there was no sliver of a silver lining.
RE: RE: RE: RE: I loved it.  
Matt M. : 3/18/2017 8:46 pm : link
In comment 13398320 montanagiant said:
Quote:
In comment 13398305 j_rud said:


Quote:


In comment 13398289 montanagiant said:


Quote:


In comment 13398279 j_rud said:


Quote:


You seem to be bothered by "unresolved issues". How often I. Real life to things get tied up in a nice, neat little bow? Felt very true to life IMO. There are few 100% happy endings. Oftentimes things just get a little better, as they did by the end of the movie.

Also think you're misreading and/or simplifying the characters motivations.


I can appreciate a movie that remains unresolved, and I get how both helped each other a bit towards normalcy. To me, it just felt like a few snapshots of a story that could be more completely told and still have the unresolved aspect to it



Yeah,mo guess I can't argue that. I just liked it for what it was. Thought there were some great scenes, like when the kid was standing by the freezer, or the joke he made when they found the truck after being so cold. It just felt very "real" to me. I liked the way they told the story. I kinda got the vibe that it was WAY too much to be told in two hours, and I liked the ending. The kid got the boat and a hand to keep the business going, and (hopefully) Affleck's character was ready to start building towards a more involved life.

The one part I did like was how they illustrated the kids coping mechanism with his father's death. Where that part lost me though was how everyone looked at it as being normal and ok
Was that a coping mechanism, or was he just a selfish prick of a kid?
RE: RE: You know what would have been a good twist to it?  
Matt M. : 3/18/2017 8:49 pm : link
In comment 13398347 j_rud said:
Quote:
In comment 13398339 montanagiant said:


Quote:


When he runs into the ex-wife while she is walking the baby she admits that it was actually her who mistakenly started the fire



Then Affleck could've punched her, too. He could've turned into the Bahhhhston guy from the Dunkin Donuts commercial from SNL. Domestic violence, shitty coffee. Benny Hill music. I smell BIG box office numbahs...
She didn't admit to starting the fire. She apologized for saying terrible things to him.
Not a great movie  
SomeFan : 3/18/2017 9:23 pm : link
but it entertained me. That is more than I can say about most movies, virtually all pop music and 98% of the TV shows made the past few years.
RE: RE: RE: You know what would have been a good twist to it?  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 10:31 pm : link
In comment 13398550 Matt M. said:
Quote:
In comment 13398347 j_rud said:


Quote:


In comment 13398339 montanagiant said:


Quote:


When he runs into the ex-wife while she is walking the baby she admits that it was actually her who mistakenly started the fire



Then Affleck could've punched her, too. He could've turned into the Bahhhhston guy from the Dunkin Donuts commercial from SNL. Domestic violence, shitty coffee. Benny Hill music. I smell BIG box office numbahs...

She didn't admit to starting the fire. She apologized for saying terrible things to him.

I know, I was stating that would have been an interesting twist to the movie
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I loved it.  
montanagiant : 3/18/2017 10:32 pm : link
In comment 13398548 Matt M. said:
Quote:
In comment 13398320 montanagiant said:


Quote:


In comment 13398305 j_rud said:


Quote:


In comment 13398289 montanagiant said:


Quote:


In comment 13398279 j_rud said:


Quote:


You seem to be bothered by "unresolved issues". How often I. Real life to things get tied up in a nice, neat little bow? Felt very true to life IMO. There are few 100% happy endings. Oftentimes things just get a little better, as they did by the end of the movie.

Also think you're misreading and/or simplifying the characters motivations.


I can appreciate a movie that remains unresolved, and I get how both helped each other a bit towards normalcy. To me, it just felt like a few snapshots of a story that could be more completely told and still have the unresolved aspect to it



Yeah,mo guess I can't argue that. I just liked it for what it was. Thought there were some great scenes, like when the kid was standing by the freezer, or the joke he made when they found the truck after being so cold. It just felt very "real" to me. I liked the way they told the story. I kinda got the vibe that it was WAY too much to be told in two hours, and I liked the ending. The kid got the boat and a hand to keep the business going, and (hopefully) Affleck's character was ready to start building towards a more involved life.

The one part I did like was how they illustrated the kids coping mechanism with his father's death. Where that part lost me though was how everyone looked at it as being normal and ok

Was that a coping mechanism, or was he just a selfish prick of a kid?

I think coping because the deal with it bothering him about his Dad being pout on ice until the thaw
Dealing with grief and gult  
jeff57 : 3/19/2017 7:25 am : link
And how it affects someone's life. The scene with Michelle Williams on the street was very good.
RE: Dealing with grief and gult  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 3/19/2017 7:37 am : link
In comment 13398736 jeff57 said:
Quote:
And how it affects someone's life. The scene with Michelle Williams on the street was very good.


She's a tremendous actor. I loved her in Blue Valentine.
Great movie  
Maryland Giant : 3/19/2017 8:14 am : link
This is a movie for readers. It is a novel on film. It is for a fan of the narrative structure and character development.

Moreover, it deals with some fundamental and tragic aspects of the human condition. Loss, despair, disappointment, frailty.

For those that think the ending is not tidy enough...well, that's life. I will say that I felt that there was growth in the characters and while perhaps the ending was not "happy," there was a feeling that they reached the best "terms" they were capable of. And the fact that the movie ended how it started...with Uncle and nephew spending time on the water...gives hope for the future. Especially after all the tragedy of the intervening years.

As for the fire...some of you have it wrong. The children slept upstairs. He and the wife slept on the 1st floor. The game room was in the basement. When he talks to the police he explains that he went upstairs to check on the kids, then went back downstairs to start a fire because the central air bothered his wife's sinuses. The kids died because they were upstairs. She lived because she was on the main floor. The only one that was on the couch was him.

Great movie. It's not Star Wars or Batman and that is a disappointment to some, but surely not to all, and definitely not to me.
"Smoke from the Kitchen" Scene  
Maryland Giant : 3/19/2017 8:40 am : link
You guys have this confused as well. It is Lee who has left the burners running in his brother's kitchen. He is on the couch asleep and is awakened by the smoke presumably but it comes in the form of a guilt-driven conversation with his deceased daughter Suzy who tells him "Can't you see we're burning?"

Were y'all drunk when you watched this film?
Director Kenneth Lonergan Quote  
Maryland Giant : 3/19/2017 8:36 pm : link
"I donít like the fact that, nowadays, it feels like it's not permissible to leave something unresolved," Lonergan says. "I mean, what the fuck is closure? Some people never get that. Some people live with their trauma for years. I'm not interested in rubbing people's faces in suffering, or in saying, 'These are the tough facts of life that I know and you don't!' But I don't like this lie that everybody gets over things that easily. Some people can't get over something major that's happened to them at all; why canít they have a movie too? Why canít there be one film about somebody who doesn't magically bounce back?"
Great film  
Mike in Long Beach : 3/19/2017 9:06 pm : link
.
boring...  
Docscuzz : 3/23/2017 2:40 am : link
thought Jackie was a much better movie
What is the point  
XBRONX : 3/23/2017 8:37 am : link
of making a movie with no action scenes.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner