Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Next year up for new deals.....

Gmen8691 : 3/20/2017 12:37 pm
OBJ, Pugh and Richburgh. Pretty safe to say we can expect a big turnover from this years roster to the follow season's roster.
Is the cap going to increase?  
Sonic Youth : 3/20/2017 12:40 pm : link
I know a cap increase tends to raise player salaries as well, but all these rumblings about an increased cap haven't really come to fruition.

Next year, you'll likely see DRC coming off the books, and I wouldn't be surprised to Harris and JT Thomas get cut. That should free up some room, but it's going to be very tough to get OBJ and Pugh signed under those numbers.

Then again, I'm not a cap geek. Next offseason, we NEED to retain both those players.
I doubt OBJ gets extended next offseason  
NYG07 : 3/20/2017 12:43 pm : link
He will likely play on the 5th year option then get franchised the following offseason with hopes of getting a long term deal done then.
The Tag will probably be needed for one of them  
est1986 : 3/20/2017 12:45 pm : link
.
I expect Pugh will be the casualty when all is said and done....  
Torrag : 3/20/2017 12:48 pm : link
Why? Two reasons. The stupid O-line contracts handed out this offseason. His durability has been good but not pristine. A concussion history playing OG is a long term concern imo. He's a better overall player than Richburg but all factors come into play when you start talking long term extension.

Maybe if he can stay in the lineup for a full season this could have a different outcome.
RE: I doubt OBJ gets extended next offseason  
Kevin in Annapolis : 3/20/2017 12:49 pm : link
In comment 13399927 NYG07 said:
Quote:
He will likely play on the 5th year option then get franchised the following offseason with hopes of getting a long term deal done then.


Agree with this. You could probably even enter into negotiation, but the 5th year option is clearly going to be taken with OBJ.
OverTheCap  
EddieNYG : 3/20/2017 12:49 pm : link
As of today, has the Giants with $40,579,555 of cap space for 2018 assuming the cap increases another $10M to $178M.


Link - ( New Window )
RE: Is the cap going to increase?  
giants#1 : 3/20/2017 12:52 pm : link
In comment 13399924 Sonic Youth said:
Quote:
I know a cap increase tends to raise player salaries as well, but all these rumblings about an increased cap haven't really come to fruition.

Next year, you'll likely see DRC coming off the books, and I wouldn't be surprised to Harris and JT Thomas get cut. That should free up some room, but it's going to be very tough to get OBJ and Pugh signed under those numbers.

Then again, I'm not a cap geek. Next offseason, we NEED to retain both those players.


Huh? This is what the caps done under the current CBA:
2011: $120M
2012: $120.6M (0.5% increase)
2013: $123M (2% increase)
2014: $133M (8.1% increase)
2015: $143.3M (7.7% increase)
2016: $155.3M (8.4% increase)
2017: $167M (7.5% increase)

The cap has risen ~40% since 2011 with average increases of over 7.5% for 4 straight years, yet you think "these rumblings about an increased cap haven't really come to fruition."?
Kennard also will be up for a contract  
Chip : 3/20/2017 1:19 pm : link
DRC has 2 seasons with cap friendly deals. He is going nowhere unless we get something substantial in trade.
That's one reason I'd support taking an interior OL at 23 or 55.  
yatqb : 3/20/2017 1:23 pm : link
It's nice to have replacements in the wings.
Disagree on OBJ  
Samiam : 3/20/2017 1:24 pm : link
I could see the Giants trying to sign him long term as soon as possible. I think they would want to lock him up as soon as practicable. Not saying it will happen but I could see advantages for both sides doing this early
RE: Disagree on OBJ  
AnnapolisMike : 3/20/2017 1:32 pm : link
In comment 13399995 Samiam said:
Quote:
I could see the Giants trying to sign him long term as soon as possible. I think they would want to lock him up as soon as practicable. Not saying it will happen but I could see advantages for both sides doing this early


I go back and forth. Hate to have him sign a LT deal and promptly ruin his knee ala Cruz. Maybe you can get him on a 4-5 year deal that gives him some long term security while giving the Giants a break.
RE: RE: Disagree on OBJ  
YAJ2112 : 3/20/2017 1:34 pm : link
In comment 13400017 AnnapolisMike said:
Quote:
In comment 13399995 Samiam said:


Quote:


I could see the Giants trying to sign him long term as soon as possible. I think they would want to lock him up as soon as practicable. Not saying it will happen but I could see advantages for both sides doing this early



I go back and forth. Hate to have him sign a LT deal and promptly ruin his knee ala Cruz. Maybe you can get him on a 4-5 year deal that gives him some long term security while giving the Giants a break.


4-5 years isn't long term? And you can only spread signing bonuses over 5 years now anyway, so no one is really doing anything longer than that these days.
RE: RE: RE: Disagree on OBJ  
giants#1 : 3/20/2017 1:45 pm : link
In comment 13400026 YAJ2112 said:
Quote:

4-5 years isn't long term? And you can only spread signing bonuses over 5 years now anyway, so no one is really doing anything longer than that these days.


The Cowboys like longer deals (Smith and I believe Frederick), but they also structure the deals to virtually guarantee future restructures that convert large base salaries to bonuses that can be prorated.

Not sure of any other teams inking deals over 5 years recently though.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Disagree on OBJ  
YAJ2112 : 3/20/2017 1:52 pm : link
In comment 13400052 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 13400026 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:



4-5 years isn't long term? And you can only spread signing bonuses over 5 years now anyway, so no one is really doing anything longer than that these days.



The Cowboys like longer deals (Smith and I believe Frederick), but they also structure the deals to virtually guarantee future restructures that convert large base salaries to bonuses that can be prorated.

Not sure of any other teams inking deals over 5 years recently though.


A quick check of OTC shows 8 players (including Smith/Frederick) who's contract go out past 2021. The other 6 all just signed their deals this offseason. Smith/Frederick are the only ones who's deals go to 2023.

Like I said, capwise there is no benefit to extending beyond 5 years - so 5 years would be considered long term.
RE: I expect Pugh will be the casualty when all is said and done....  
Earl the goat : 3/20/2017 1:59 pm : link
In comment 13399930 Torrag said:
Quote:
Why? Two reasons. The stupid O-line contracts handed out this offseason. His durability has been good but not pristine. A concussion history playing OG is a long term concern imo. He's a better overall player than Richburg but all factors come into play when you start talking long term extension.

Maybe if he can stay in the lineup for a full season this could have a different outcome.


What stupid O Line contracts were handed out this year
Look at Flukers and Jerrys guaranteed money. It's minimal. That's all that matters in those contracts
I agree  
giants#1 : 3/20/2017 2:00 pm : link
I think Dallas' cap issues somewhat forced them into those deals. It'll be interesting to see if they continue with deals over 5+ years when Martin hits FA since they should be in much better cap space after this year when Romo and Witten are gone (or at least a cap friendly deal for the latter).

Those deals add a lot of risk for the team since the multiple restructures just pile on the guaranteed money.
RE: RE: I expect Pugh will be the casualty when all is said and done....  
giants#1 : 3/20/2017 2:00 pm : link
In comment 13400078 Earl the goat said:
Quote:
In comment 13399930 Torrag said:


Quote:


Why? Two reasons. The stupid O-line contracts handed out this offseason. His durability has been good but not pristine. A concussion history playing OG is a long term concern imo. He's a better overall player than Richburg but all factors come into play when you start talking long term extension.

Maybe if he can stay in the lineup for a full season this could have a different outcome.



What stupid O Line contracts were handed out this year
Look at Flukers and Jerrys guaranteed money. It's minimal. That's all that matters in those contracts


Think he means the deals to other OL, not those signed by the Giants.
Back to the Corner