Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Giants record streak happily comes to an end ...

Beer Man : 4/12/2017 8:37 am
After setting an NFL record of being the NFL's most injured for 4 years running, the Giants reign has finally ended. The 2016 Giants "Adjusted Game Lost" statistic was 52.4, 7th lowest in the NFL.
GiantsWire - ( New Window )
Have there been any articles/reports/anecdotal stories  
Beezer : 4/12/2017 8:44 am : link
about any of the changes that were made, that certainly helped lead to this?

The fact that over YEARS, the Giants' poor rating in this regard is STILL nowhere near any other teams, speaks volumes about how things were broken (literally and figuratively), but for whatever reason(s), no real changes were made.

Here's hoping this isn't just a blip, but a trend headed to the positive.
I am pretty sure that article is wrong.  
robbieballs2003 : 4/12/2017 8:53 am : link
It was 3 years. The article contradicts itself too.
Here  
robbieballs2003 : 4/12/2017 8:56 am : link
Quote:
For four straight seasons, the New York Giants were the most-injured team in the NFL. In fact, they even set an all-time record for injuries in 2013 — a record no one really wanted.


And

Quote:
The results are in, and you really didn’t expect the New York Giants to be the league’s most injured team for the fourth year in a row, did you? The AGL dynasty is over. New York finally had a healthy year, thanks in part to several new roster additions that also helped the team to its first playoff appearance since winning Super Bowl XLVI.
Obviously, there were more to the injuries  
ZogZerg : 4/12/2017 8:56 am : link
than "bad luck" for the 4 years before last year.
We all thought the Giants would turn it around last year, and they did. Hopefully that trend continues.
I'm sure there were multiple reasons for it ....  
Beer Man : 4/12/2017 9:03 am : link
But age certainly had to play into the equation. I believe the Giants were one of the NFL's oldest for a while.
The Jaguars will be the team to beat this year as most injured.  
Brown Recluse : 4/12/2017 9:10 am : link
Watch.
The methodology on these metrics..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 4/12/2017 9:17 am : link
ends up becoming a debate. Some of them focus on total games lost, some on total starts lost and Football Outsiders uses the adjusted games lost formula.

By most metrics, the Giants had at least two seasons in a row as the worst team in injuries. There's some debate about 2015, as some metrics had them as high as 20th in the injury effect.

Regardless, it is a good sign to see a turnaround. Now, let's hope it continues.
you're welcome  
Matt in SGS : 4/12/2017 9:28 am : link
^^ That guy right there earned every cent of his paycheck  
antdog24 : 4/12/2017 9:32 am : link
Lets not forget the conditioning of the players was amazing. That amount of snaps from the starting D'line was crazy
.  
arcarsenal : 4/12/2017 9:35 am : link
A lot changed when Tom's old military equipment got taken out of the locker room in favor of newer, more current technology.
Hoping last year's health...  
Dan in the Springs : 4/12/2017 9:39 am : link
was the beginning of a new trend. This has been the most demoralizing part of the Coughlin era, which is ironic given his comments when hired.

I wonder what he's doing differently (if anything) in Jax now.
Unbelievable!  
WideRight : 4/12/2017 9:53 am : link
The teams plays better and fewer guys wind up on DL....

The single most important factor: getting rid of Geoff Schwartz. Took his injured ass off the list and made the team better. More wins, fewer "business decisions"
RE: .  
Mike in Long Beach : 4/12/2017 10:11 am : link
In comment 13424843 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
A lot changed when Tom's old military equipment got taken out of the locker room in favor of newer, more current technology.


Who needs those fancy free weights when you have paint cans you could drape over an old shower rod?
I really wish that I could remember who...  
EricJ : 4/12/2017 10:30 am : link
here was telling me I was crazy for blaming our strength and conditioning program for our soft tissue injuries. Felt like I was alone on an island posting about this. Finally glad to see that we make that change and instant improvement in soft tissue injuries.

Of course, it could be a coincidence but not if we are in the top 10 again this coming season.
I see a couple people hinting that Coughlin might have been  
Thunderstruck27 : 4/12/2017 12:35 pm : link
responsible or the problem. I'll take a few years in a row of leading the league in injuries for a couple of Super Bowl Championships. If you want a healthy team who gets to play in a playoff game, the Eagles have been doing that for decades.
RE: I see a couple people hinting that Coughlin might have been  
Dan in the Springs : 4/12/2017 1:06 pm : link
In comment 13425139 Thunderstruck27 said:
Quote:
responsible or the problem. I'll take a few years in a row of leading the league in injuries for a couple of Super Bowl Championships. If you want a healthy team who gets to play in a playoff game, the Eagles have been doing that for decades.


I wouldn't trade what Coughlin accomplished for what our current coach has accomplished at all. I don't know enough to lay blame anywhere. I'm just saying that it was demoralizing for us fans to constantly have hope each year only to have entire position groups completely decimated by injury each and every year, yet believe enough in Coughlin/Eli to have hope in spite of the injuries.
Aaron Wellman  
RobCarpenter : 4/12/2017 1:31 pm : link
Has worked wonders with this team.

Injuries were a huge problem with Coughlin throughout his tenure.

Too bad the Maras can't bring themselves to fire Jerry Palmieri completely, as far as I can tell from a quick Google search he's still with the team in some capacity.
RE: RE: I see a couple people hinting that Coughlin might have been  
David in LA : 4/12/2017 3:20 pm : link
In comment 13425207 Dan in the Springs said:
Quote:
In comment 13425139 Thunderstruck27 said:


Quote:


responsible or the problem. I'll take a few years in a row of leading the league in injuries for a couple of Super Bowl Championships. If you want a healthy team who gets to play in a playoff game, the Eagles have been doing that for decades.



I wouldn't trade what Coughlin accomplished for what our current coach has accomplished at all. I don't know enough to lay blame anywhere. I'm just saying that it was demoralizing for us fans to constantly have hope each year only to have entire position groups completely decimated by injury each and every year, yet believe enough in Coughlin/Eli to have hope in spite of the injuries.


I wouldn't lay the blame all on his feet, but I do think he was part of the problem, especially with the limitations of the new CBA. IMO his failure to adapt sealed his fate. Giants lost a ton of assets unnecessarily due to injuries, and that's part of the reason why Reese is still here are TC is not.
Back to the Corner