Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: choke chains for dogs

Ned In Atlanta : 4/15/2017 10:56 am
I have an 18 month old, 70 pound very strong and very stubborn female pitbull/bulldog mix. We have not been the most consistent dog trainers, but despite having a trainer come in and work with her she still has a very frustrating habits, one of which is pulling on her leash. We have an easy walk harness that works great, but its a pain to have to attach it and take it off every time we need to take her out to do her business, walk her etc. At the recommendation of several people we tried a device called a gentle leader. That did not work. We decided to try the choke chain. I know it& #347; a controversial device, but the woman at the pet store likened it to ´power steering'for dogs and said that if used correctly its a self correcting device that works great. curious if any bbi dog owners have had success with this device
Dog trainter  
Jim in Fairfax : 4/15/2017 11:13 am : link
So the dog trainer wasn't able to train you? Get a different one and/or pay attention better next time.
I use a harness instead of a traditional collar  
David in LA : 4/15/2017 11:15 am : link
It is much easier to steer large dogs, and mine is stubborn as heck. Bringing treats on walks helps a lot. Choke chains just seem kind of cruel for me to use on my dog.
We had a trainer  
pjcas18 : 4/15/2017 11:17 am : link
who trains military and police dogs and he suggested instead of the choke collar to use a prong or pinch collar.

The difference being the dog is the one, not you, who controls the pinch vs choke.

some people believe it's still not exactly humane, but I was fine with it and our dog went from being a homeless rescue to perfectly leash trained in a couple months. After a few months we were able to connect the pinch collar so it was on the setting where it doesn't pinch, but is still on, and now we don't use it.

they look sort of mean, but I had good results.

Do you mean just a chain  
Cenotaph : 4/15/2017 11:23 am : link
that slips so it tightens, or one of those prong collars that dig in? If you think the harness is a pain, you'll likely find the prong collar a pain too. The slip chain works on some dogs, but it's not a very effective stop of pulling - many stronger dogs will keep pulling even as the chain tightens. The prong ones work better, but can be annoying to put on, if you found a harness a pain - I use a harness and it's pretty easy to put on once you use it regularly.

I find the harness or the over the nose leaders seem to work better than the choke or prong ones (not a pro, just personal experience), but some things work better for specific dogs, so keep trying and see what yours responds too.
And if used right  
Cenotaph : 4/15/2017 11:31 am : link
the prong collars (though a bit medieval looking) are safe and will not hurt the dog (other than some minor discomfort which is the point)...as mentioned the point is to let the dog control it, not to tug on it like you're trying to hang the poor dog...some dogs may not respond to 'gentler' methods, especially if you have a 70lb muscular breed.
I use the regular choke collar.  
Giant John : 4/15/2017 12:02 pm : link
My boy has learned when it's up close to the top of his ears not to pull. It's a pleasure walking him. Excep when he sees a squirrel or bird. When
The collar slips down it's his signal that's it's ok to pull. I then just bring it back up and he's a perfect walker again. He's only 16 months old.
It's takes time for them to understand what you want. But it's worth it. Good luck!
RE: We had a trainer  
Ned In Atlanta : 4/15/2017 12:16 pm : link
In comment 13429520 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
who trains military and police dogs and he suggested instead of the choke collar to use a prong or pinch collar.

The difference being the dog is the one, not you, who controls the pinch vs choke.

some people believe it's still not exactly humane, but I was fine with it and our dog went from being a homeless rescue to perfectly leash trained in a couple months. After a few months we were able to connect the pinch collar so it was on the setting where it doesn't pinch, but is still on, and now we don't use it.

they look sort of mean, but I had good results.




Thanks PJ. I guess I used the wrong terminology because that's the one I bought
RE: RE: We had a trainer  
pjcas18 : 4/15/2017 12:32 pm : link
In comment 13429560 Ned In Atlanta said:
Quote:
In comment 13429520 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


who trains military and police dogs and he suggested instead of the choke collar to use a prong or pinch collar.

The difference being the dog is the one, not you, who controls the pinch vs choke.

some people believe it's still not exactly humane, but I was fine with it and our dog went from being a homeless rescue to perfectly leash trained in a couple months. After a few months we were able to connect the pinch collar so it was on the setting where it doesn't pinch, but is still on, and now we don't use it.

they look sort of mean, but I had good results.






Thanks PJ. I guess I used the wrong terminology because that's the one I bought


I had good success with ours, check youtube, there are some youtube videos on proper use of a pinch collar.

For us it was put the collar on immediately before taking the dog out, bring treats with you on the walk as the dog starts yielding give her a treat, and take the collar off when you get back in the house. Make sure you stick to a routine and the dog can learn it's training.

By the second month the dog would hear the collar jingling she would come running and then there are two ways to attach it, one so there is a pinch when the dog pulls and one when it doesn't - i mentioned after a while we switched out of the pinch setting and the dog remained trained.

Now I don't use the collar at all, and the dog walks perfectly on the leash.
You need to be able to control a dog that big  
Vanzetti : 4/15/2017 1:04 pm : link
If the dog lunges at someone--person or dog--no way your wife will be able to control him and even you might have trouble unless you are the size of Hankins.

Responsibility is the most important thing about dog ownership. Everything else is secondary. You also really need to train him. It will be harder now but not impossible. Choker chain is exactly the best training device for a big dog.

When you walk him, make him stop, make him sit. Give him a treat when he does it right. You might want to wear an arm guard. Better to be safe than sorry.
Ned  
Archer : 4/15/2017 2:38 pm : link
I know that it is very hard to train a dog to heel.

I have a 165 lb Boerboel and there is no collar or harness that will restrain him. When he was younger he regularly snapped his leads and broke his chain collars. I tried everything.

This may sound counter intuitive but by training our dog to behave off leash it has made it possible to walk him on leash. Even my wife can walk him now. The only issue we will still have is our dog is afraid of bicycles and will run to avoid them. That creates an interesting scenario.



RE: We had a trainer  
mrvax : 4/15/2017 2:52 pm : link
In comment 13429520 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
who trains military and police dogs and he suggested instead of the choke collar to use a prong or pinch collar.

The difference being the dog is the one, not you, who controls the pinch vs choke.

some people believe it's still not exactly humane, but I was fine with it and our dog went from being a homeless rescue to perfectly leash trained in a couple months. After a few months we were able to connect the pinch collar so it was on the setting where it doesn't pinch, but is still on, and now we don't use it.

they look sort of mean, but I had good results.




This is the same experience we had with a Rottweiler pup 10 years ago. It worked and the dog did not get injured.
the prong or pinch collar should work  
bc4life : 4/15/2017 3:12 pm : link
it is more humane than a standard collar or regular choke collar for dogs who are chronic pullers. they can damage their windpipe by doing that. electronic collar might also be an option.




but consistency is the most important thing.

Another thumbs up for the pinch collar  
giant24 : 4/15/2017 5:33 pm : link
My 70lb golden/shephard mix gets so excited when we go on walks he would literally choke himself with a regular collar. He is too big and strong for a harness. When we first put the pinch collar on it took him about 10 seconds to realize that if he pulls it is uncomfortable, ever since then he knows not to pull which saves my arm and his windpipe.
Some dogs simply never learn to walk well  
DennyInDenville : 4/15/2017 5:56 pm : link
I like Pits but especially them. They don't walk well at all.

Some dogs are leash trained at birth others never learn unless a professional basically owns them
I use a choke chain  
Gregorio : 4/15/2017 6:16 pm : link
(one that closes tight as she pulls, not one with the prongs that dig into the neck) on my 75 pound golden retriever. It seems cruel, but you’ve got to get over this. My dog trainer supported it. It is very effective.

You’ve got to know how to use it though. The normal state of it while walking should be loose, not choking. I give a few gentle tugs at the start of a walk, to tell her not to pull. Occasionally she will still pull, but for the most part it works well.

It is far more effective than a plain, nylon collar.

Even more effective though is the gentle leader brand collar, which fits over her muzzle. I have this, but I just find it tedious to put on each walk.


RE: I use a choke chain  
Ned In Atlanta : 4/15/2017 10:13 pm : link
In comment 13429803 Gregorio said:
Quote:
(one that closes tight as she pulls, not one with the prongs that dig into the neck) on my 75 pound golden retriever. It seems cruel, but you’ve got to get over this. My dog trainer supported it. It is very effective.

You’ve got to know how to use it though. The normal state of it while walking should be loose, not choking. I give a few gentle tugs at the start of a walk, to tell her not to pull. Occasionally she will still pull, but for the most part it

It is far more effective than a plain, nylon collar.

Even more effective though is the gentle leader brand collar, which fits over her muzzle. I have this, but I just find it tedious to put on each walk.




We tried the gentle leader but our dog is so anxious she would freak out, wimper and try to pry it off with her paw so we moved on. Thanks everyone for the information
Back to the Corner