Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Gruden's QB Camp: Pat Mahomes

battttles : 4/18/2017 6:28 pm
This was fun. Fully expect Pat to be gone by 23...but if he's not, whewwwww sign me up.




Mahomes II - ( New Window )
seems like a nice enough kid  
SirYesSir : 4/18/2017 7:15 pm : link
but count me out on drafting him

the next texas tech qb to have ANY success in the league will be the first.

he is admittedly undisciplined and relies on his arm strength and guts to make plays. I never want to hear a guy compared to Favre - that was a guy who broke all the norms and was a one of a kind player.

Mahomes looks like a strong armed kid with bad mechanics. If you want to take a strong armed guy and teach him to play over two years behind eli, you don't have to take him in the first round
likely the prudent approach, SYS  
battttles : 4/18/2017 7:28 pm : link
just think it'd be a lot of fun watching him develop.
SRS  
Big Rick in FL : 4/18/2017 7:39 pm : link
That's a horrible way to evaluate players. You evaluate the name on the back of the jersey not the name on the front.

With that logic you wouldn't have drafted Odell Beckham Jr, because LSU has put out guys like Demetrius Byrd, Early Doucet, Craig Davis, Skyler Green, Bennie Brazell etc etc

It doesn't really matter anyway. Mahomes isn't getting out of the top 15.
NFL: draft history is full of guys .....  
Manny in CA : 4/18/2017 8:02 pm : link

Who were supposed to go high up in the draft and dropped. Mahomes is very raw and will have to sit for a long time. How many teams can afford that ? - not many.

Can anybody think of any QB #1 who was drafted with that expectation ?
Manny  
Big Rick in FL : 4/18/2017 8:32 pm : link
Just last year Jared Goff and he doesn't have anywhere near the athleticism or arm strength of Mahomes.

EJ Manuel at 15 overall is another. Robert Griffin at 2 overall is another. There are plenty of guys who needed to sit & develop that were drafted in the top 15. Most of them didn't have the athleticism or arm talent that Mahomes has.
RE: NFL: draft history is full of guys .....  
Milton : 4/18/2017 8:33 pm : link
In comment 13433458 Manny in CA said:
Quote:

Who were supposed to go high up in the draft and dropped. Mahomes is very raw and will have to sit for a long time. How many teams can afford that ? - not many.

Can anybody think of any QB #1 who was drafted with that expectation ?
Jim Druckenmiller. And there's also Rivers and Rodgers, who weren't expected to start as rookies, but I can't say I know what the time table was for them to eventually start.
The throw running left  
KWALL2 : 4/18/2017 9:15 pm : link
Was unmatched. He just flicked it out there. Rodgers is the best I've seen throwing left but I've never seen him doing it that easily.

The kid mentioned mobs shortstop background and you can see it right there. Rodgers has the same thing.

Super impressive. I'd draft that kind of arm all day.
A somewhat inexact science of arm strength test was  
Diver_Down : 4/18/2017 9:33 pm : link
done on NFL Network where Pat and David Carr threw to Heath Evans approx 10 yards away. The fastest that Pat threw was 62 MPH while Carr only managed 57 MPH. Of course Pat couldn't hit the side of a barn (literally Heath can't shoot up any more roids) and sailed 2 of the 3 over Heath's head whereas Carr put the ball on target everytime. But, gee, Pat has a big arm who cares about accuracy...
Forget QB this year, go big after Josh Allen in the next draft  
montanagiant : 4/18/2017 10:38 pm : link
.
He'll be the first QB drafted  
Peppers : 4/18/2017 11:30 pm : link
based on his arm talent.
RE: Forget QB this year, go big after Josh Allen in the next draft  
chopperhatch : 4/19/2017 1:40 am : link
In comment 13433677 montanagiant said:
Quote:
.


People keep saying this, however, given that there are so few consistent starting qbs, wouldnt that make it HARDER to grab one next year especially if we have a good season? I would think that if anything, you would want to pick a QB when the rest of the league is sleeping on the current crop. Also, this current class has some pretty good looking candidates in Kizer, Watson, Mahomes and Trubisky.
No thanks  
Torrag : 4/19/2017 6:17 am : link
My top criteria for drafting a QB is his ability to function efficiently from the pocket. That's what Mahomes doesn't do. Pass.
RE: Manny  
NikkiMac : 4/19/2017 12:42 pm : link
In comment 13433514 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
Just last year Jared Goff and he doesn't have anywhere near the athleticism or arm strength of Mahomes.

EJ Manuel at 15 overall is another. Robert Griffin at 2 overall is another. There are plenty of guys who needed to sit & develop that were drafted in the top 15. Most of them didn't have the athleticism or arm talent that Mahomes has.



Exactly that's why Macadoo was sent to see him !
RE: RE: Forget QB this year, go big after Josh Allen in the next draft  
montanagiant : 4/19/2017 11:51 pm : link
In comment 13433750 chopperhatch said:
Quote:
In comment 13433677 montanagiant said:


Quote:


.



People keep saying this, however, given that there are so few consistent starting qbs, wouldnt that make it HARDER to grab one next year especially if we have a good season? I would think that if anything, you would want to pick a QB when the rest of the league is sleeping on the current crop. Also, this current class has some pretty good looking candidates in Kizer, Watson, Mahomes and Trubisky.

Yeah you're most likely right. I just think the kid is so much better than the ones coming out this year it's worth the wait. The other thing is you have to figure Eli for 2-3 more years. We grab a QB this year he is close to or almost off his rookie contract by the time Eli retires and will cost big bucks to keep w/out any real track record. You get Allen next year you might get at least 2 years off of him on his rookie deal
RE: RE: RE: Forget QB this year, go big after Josh Allen in the next draft  
chopperhatch : 4/20/2017 12:17 am : link
In comment 13435048 montanagiant said:
Quote:
In comment 13433750 chopperhatch said:


Quote:


In comment 13433677 montanagiant said:


Quote:


.



People keep saying this, however, given that there are so few consistent starting qbs, wouldnt that make it HARDER to grab one next year especially if we have a good season? I would think that if anything, you would want to pick a QB when the rest of the league is sleeping on the current crop. Also, this current class has some pretty good looking candidates in Kizer, Watson, Mahomes and Trubisky.


Yeah you're most likely right. I just think the kid is so much better than the ones coming out this year it's worth the wait. The other thing is you have to figure Eli for 2-3 more years. We grab a QB this year he is close to or almost off his rookie contract by the time Eli retires and will cost big bucks to keep w/out any real track record. You get Allen next year you might get at least 2 years off of him on his rookie deal


Oh I agree. I dont want them to take a qb at 23 if all of them are available. Give me Lamp, Bowser, Reddick or even that safety from UConn. Or a corner. If one of them slips to the 2nd or even Webb in the 3rd? Different story.
Back to the Corner