Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Mets Minors 4/20/2017- A real snoozer

DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:17 am
AAA Boscan
AA Oswalt
A+ Dunn
A Llanes


AAA
Cecchini 1-4
Rosario 1-4
Smith 1-4, 2 k's
Rivera 1-4
Evans 2-3
Roseboom 1.2 innings 1 hit 0 er 1 bb 1 k

A+
Mora 1-5, K
Becerra 1-4, 2 k's
Urena 1-4, 2 k's
Mazeika 1-4
Palsha 1 inning 0 hits 0 runs 1 walk 1 k

A
Cone 2-4, BB, K (Absolutely zero power so far and only 1 steal but he's getting on base ala Vinny Siena 2 seasons ago)
Carpio 1-4, BB, 2 k's, 2 SB (7 steals despite reported average at best speed)
Paez 1-3, K, SB
Humphreys 6 innings 4 hits 1 run 0 walks 4 k's (Nice start to his season)
Uceta 2 innings 1 hit 1 run 0 walks 2 k's
Zanghi 1 inning 2 hits 0 runs
Tebow 0-4, 3 k's
Cecch  
Deej : 4/20/2017 9:22 am : link
no errors at 2B so far, and is hitting while he makes the positional adjustment.
So  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:25 am : link
far my biggest disappointment (and yes it's extremely early) is Dunn. A high level high pick college arm shouldn't be getting smacked around in A+ (and not missing bats). Hopefully he's working on something I am unaware of/slow starter because I have high hopes for him... that and the insane 15-16 injured prospects they currently have.
Dunn  
Deej : 4/20/2017 9:29 am : link
I'm only looking at stats, but I have a hard time believing that talent/level alone is responsible for Dunn going from 10.5 and 3.0 K & BB per 9, respectively, to 1.9 and 6.8.

Either he's hurt or this is an aberration. You dont lose 80%+ of your K ability getting promoted within A ball.
RE: Dunn  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:34 am : link
In comment 13435167 Deej said:
Quote:
I'm only looking at stats, but I have a hard time believing that talent/level alone is responsible for Dunn going from 10.5 and 3.0 K & BB per 9, respectively, to 1.9 and 6.8.

Either he's hurt or this is an aberration. You dont lose 80%+ of your K ability getting promoted within A ball.


Well in fairness he was in Brooklyn which is a very low level of baseball. The Mets send their 1st round college picks there much to the dismay of people like Keith Law. Dunn "skipped" a level but his pedigree/resume he belongs in St. Lucie. He's where a high first round pick for other organizations BEGINS his career. The Mets just have a BK then St. Lucie draft program. He did walk 10 in 30 innings in BK so he showed some evidence of issues throwing strikes even last year. 30 innings 25 hits 10 walks isn't very impressive for a kid that talented in BK. It's underwhelming. Hopefully he turns it around.
Hard to keep track at this point but  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:37 am : link
Injured

Alonso, Tiberi, Zanon, McNeil, Garcia, Woodmansee Cruzado
Szapucki, Gibbons, Flexen, Molina, Prevost, Haggard, Davis, Nimmo, Holderman, Ingram, Flexen
Guy can throw 96  
Deej : 4/20/2017 9:38 am : link
unless he has so little control that even A ball hitters know not to swing, he's gonna strike out more than 2 per 9.

Lets assess after 8-10 starts.
RE: Guy can throw 96  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:40 am : link
In comment 13435182 Deej said:
Quote:
unless he has so little control that even A ball hitters know not to swing, he's gonna strike out more than 2 per 9.

Lets assess after 8-10 starts.


did I not say "far my biggest disappointment (and yes it's extremely early) is Dunn. "?

The options are either totally ignore anything anyone is doing (good or bad) or comment on them and acknowledge the small sample size. Had he made 2 starts 14 innings 5 hits 25 k's I think people would be going wild over it no>?
Logan  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:41 am : link
Taylor demoted to AA (looks like mostly because LV needed a starter)
Matt  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:42 am : link
Reynolds expected to be called up. Oh joy.
Gif  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:44 am : link
of Jordan Humprheys pitching
Link - ( New Window )
Correct  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:45 am : link
link
Link - ( New Window )
Simmer down Dan  
Deej : 4/20/2017 9:49 am : link
Im not cross examining you.

Im fairly dismissive of starts unless they suggest something (e.g. Cecch not having an error tells me something -- unlikely it is random).
RE: Simmer down Dan  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:53 am : link
In comment 13435194 Deej said:
Quote:
Im not cross examining you.

Im fairly dismissive of starts unless they suggest something (e.g. Cecch not having an error tells me something -- unlikely it is random).


Dunn wasn't exactly dominant in BK. He made 15 career college starts over 3 seasons. There is a much higher risk associated with him than other college SP's. He was a bad college baseball player his first 2 seasons, had a great stretch to end his career (8 starts) and was a high pick. There isn't a substantial track record of success at any level.
If  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:54 am : link
anything the numbers are more important with him than other guys given the fact he has very little success as a pitcher to fall back on (which of course is a major part of the reason a kid who has flashed 96 "fell" to 19th overall)
Reynolds  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 9:55 am : link
Edgin and Montero must have nude pictures of Sandy somewhere.
Just to add on Dunn and who I saw pitch several times at bc  
bhill410 : 4/20/2017 11:12 am : link
He is very very raw - comparable to a hs pitcher really. Which in a lot of ways is good, you are getting college maturity but without the mileage that pitchers outside of northeast have. All that being said I would suspect that they are making him throw his secondary stuff a ton and focusing on his release point which at times in college got off track. The arm is real I wouldn't be to concerned about results this year unless you see a dip in velo
RE: Just to add on Dunn and who I saw pitch several times at bc  
DanMetroMan : 4/20/2017 11:16 am : link
In comment 13435348 bhill410 said:
Quote:
He is very very raw - comparable to a hs pitcher really. Which in a lot of ways is good, you are getting college maturity but without the mileage that pitchers outside of northeast have. All that being said I would suspect that they are making him throw his secondary stuff a ton and focusing on his release point which at times in college got off track. The arm is real I wouldn't be to concerned about results this year unless you see a dip in velo


Just to be clear I'm not even going nuts over 2 starts, just that of the top prospects in the system his start has been "most disappointing" (he and Lindsay). Just notable that he has a very limited track record of success at any level so it's "more" worrisome if a few starts from now he's not missing A+ bats. He's highly athletic, he's intelligent. Just a disappointing first 2 starts, nothing more... for now.
Dunn from RP to SP  
Shecky : 4/20/2017 11:40 am : link
No one is expecting him to start hot this year literally his only goals are to get as much experience starting as possible. It's a successful year if he starts throwing all of his pitches, and racks up as many innings as possible. Any thing else is gravy.
Back to the Corner