Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Excellent article on a league wide trend regarding OL play

David in LA : 6/16/2017 9:50 pm
This piece in The Ringer highlights Greg Robinson's failure with the Rams, and shines some light on why OL play has suffered, and why there's such a high bust rate.
Link - ( New Window )
Good article  
WillVAB : 6/16/2017 10:08 pm : link
Shows how important technique is and how it's not so easy to just coach guys into better technique.
And the unpredictability of knowing who will take to coaching...  
Milton : 6/16/2017 10:53 pm : link
...and who won't. And it isn't simply a question of work ethic. Something new (even something as simple as moving from the left side of the center to the right side of him) may come easily to one rookie and yet create all kinds of problems for another who is working just as hard at it.
The operative word in this article is - panic ....  
Manny in CA : 6/17/2017 12:55 am : link

Which, as I have noted many times here applies to the Giants' Ereck Flowers.

Flowers despite his natural talent often looks helpless as his technique looks increasingly awful.

It's not that he is "uncoachable", it's that he doesn't trust that he can do the things that he's taught. He's lost part of that big gut, hopeful that means he can move around better and believe in himself more
RE: Good article  
Route 9 : 6/17/2017 2:37 am : link
In comment 13502469 WillVAB said:
Quote:
Shows how important technique is and how it's not so easy to just coach guys into better technique.


Yup because some guys just can't be shitty football players, no?
yes - very good article indeed  
gidiefor : Mod : 6/17/2017 7:18 am : link
I have to admit -- I am very concerned about the diverging skill sets appreciated in college as opposed to the pros -- and the lack of practice reps coaches get with Offensive linemen from the rookie stage to becoming a starter. This is especially true as it becomes more and more of a necessity that premium newly drafted players are counted on to start.
One solution that solves two problems for the price of one...  
Milton : 6/17/2017 9:38 am : link
Outlaw the three-point stance for both OL and DL. It would greatly diminish concussions among linemen and also remove that element of the learning curve going from college to the NFL.
That is a good article- thanks for posting it.  
Del Shofner : 6/17/2017 9:48 am : link
Definitely relevant to Flowers.
RE: One solution that solves two problems for the price of one...  
djstat : 6/17/2017 10:25 am : link
In comment 13502641 Milton said:
Quote:
Outlaw the three-point stance for both OL and DL. It would greatly diminish concussions among linemen and also remove that element of the learning curve going from college to the NFL.
TERRIBLE IDEA in my opinion
RE: RE: One solution that solves two problems for the price of one...  
Milton : 6/17/2017 10:46 am : link
In comment 13502670 djstat said:
Quote:
In comment 13502641 Milton said:


Quote:


Outlaw the three-point stance for both OL and DL. It would greatly diminish concussions among linemen and also remove that element of the learning curve going from college to the NFL.

TERRIBLE IDEA in my opinion
It would greatly reduce concussions. In my opinion, that makes it worth it.
RE: That is a good article- thanks for posting it.  
Jimmy Googs : 6/17/2017 12:22 pm : link
In comment 13502645 Del Shofner said:
Quote:
Definitely relevant to Flowers.


Some of those video plays embedded in the article looked exactly like Flowers...
Back to the Corner