Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Darian Thompson slated to start?

robbieballs2003 : 7/6/2017 6:47 pm
I don't know if this is news or not but I just saw this. If anything it means that he seems to be fully healed which is great news.

Quote:
Thompson is now healthy and slated to start at safety across from Landon Collins this season, the Giants' official site reports.

Thompson was suppose to be the Giants' starting free safety last season, but a foot injury limited the rookie to only two contests. Now healthy, Thompson is looking to make 2017 a bounce back campaign after spending last season studying the defense on the sideline. However, backup Andrew Adams was impressive during OTAs and could give Thompson a run for his money during training camp.


I didn't see anything on the Giants site so if this is not true or old news then I will delete.
Link - ( New Window )
Ballhawk  
annexOPR : 7/6/2017 6:55 pm : link
opposite the best safety in football? Yes, please.
Sound's like someone is assuming things  
George from PA : 7/6/2017 6:58 pm : link
It's likely....but coaches have more options and I suspect it will be determine at camp
D Thompson was on his way to being a star  
WillieYoung : 7/6/2017 6:58 pm : link
before getting hurt in game 2 last year. Very few players ever looked that good coming out of camp in their rookie season in the 53 years I have been following the Giants closely. If he can regain that this year and Goodson is a thumper our defense will be better than '86. Of course, if 2 DEs or 2 corners go down in training camp,we could be mediocre.
robbie  
Klaatu : 7/6/2017 6:59 pm : link
Linked below is an article on Giants.com by Dan Salomone dated June 27 where he quotes Merritt. Merritt doesn't actually say that Thompson will start, but he also doesn't actually say that he won't. RotoWire left this part out:

Quote:
ďI think theyíre all competing for a starting job. That second safety has been elusive for us. To have two guys that can actually step in there and actually hold down the position, hopefully we will find that solid piece this year.Ē

Giants have options at safety - ( New Window )
RE: D Thompson was on his way to being a star  
arcarsenal : 7/6/2017 7:04 pm : link
In comment 13521511 WillieYoung said:
Quote:
before getting hurt in game 2 last year. Very few players ever looked that good coming out of camp in their rookie season in the 53 years I have been following the Giants closely. If he can regain that this year and Goodson is a thumper our defense will be better than '86. Of course, if 2 DEs or 2 corners go down in training camp,we could be mediocre.


On his way to being a star?

The reports were positive, but c'mon. The guy barely played at all. I was very encouraged by him last year and am excited to see what he can do if he's healthy.. but he has long, long way to go before he's considered anything close to a star.
Damn it, I should have led with #FakeNews.  
Klaatu : 7/6/2017 7:13 pm : link
Maybe next time.
Probably True But  
Samiam : 7/6/2017 7:26 pm : link
Is it really going to be a headline if he, or any other free safety in camp,
beats out Adams as the starter. That's really not saying much
RE: RE: D Thompson was on his way to being a star  
Beer Man : 7/6/2017 7:28 pm : link
In comment 13521514 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 13521511 WillieYoung said:


Quote:


before getting hurt in game 2 last year. Very few players ever looked that good coming out of camp in their rookie season in the 53 years I have been following the Giants closely. If he can regain that this year and Goodson is a thumper our defense will be better than '86. Of course, if 2 DEs or 2 corners go down in training camp,we could be mediocre.



On his way to being a star?

The reports were positive, but c'mon. The guy barely played at all. I was very encouraged by him last year and am excited to see what he can do if he's healthy.. but he has long, long way to go before he's considered anything close to a star.
Disagree. I've seen his ticket to Canton already stamped; it was on the internet.
D. Thompson has more pure ballhawk talent than Andrew Adams  
SGMen : 7/6/2017 7:34 pm : link
If healthy, I be he wins the job.
Darian Thompson just has to stay healthy  
dpinzow : 7/6/2017 7:50 pm : link
he absolutely looked the part of a starting FS in the two games he played. Not super optimistic about the healthy part though since he had injuries in college (which was the reason he fell to round 3)
RE: Darian Thompson just has to stay healthy  
SGMen : 7/6/2017 7:56 pm : link
In comment 13521542 dpinzow said:
Quote:
he absolutely looked the part of a starting FS in the two games he played. Not super optimistic about the healthy part though since he had injuries in college (which was the reason he fell to round 3)
Exactly, must get healthy, must stay healthy and must show ballhawking ability.

If we go with Andrew Adams, if he has improved with experience and study, we can live with him.
the  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 7/6/2017 8:10 pm : link
coaches made it clear last month that Thompson is not being handed anything.
David Merritt  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 7/6/2017 8:12 pm : link
Q: If heís healthy, is (Thompson) the other safety with Landon?

A: Iím going to be honest with you, you can sit here right now and say yes, but I canít sit here and take away from what Andrew Adams has done. I think theyíre all competing for a starting job. That second safety has been illusive for us. To have two guys that can actually step in there and actually hold down the position. Hopefully we will find that solid piece this year but we need four good guys. If we can get four good guys, itís going to be great.
Yeah,  
robbieballs2003 : 7/6/2017 8:23 pm : link
I remember that which is why I put the question mark in the title but then CBS states it is on the Giants site which I did not see.
RE: Yeah,  
Klaatu : 7/6/2017 8:31 pm : link
In comment 13521575 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
I remember that which is why I put the question mark in the title but then CBS states it is on the Giants site which I did not see.


The link they included is to their own Giants site, not Giants.com. Weird. I just went to Giants.com and searched the News section until I found the right article.

However, what you're all missing here is that Jadar Johnson will actually start next to Collins! Not Thompson! Not Adams! Johnson!
I like his skill set but durability was a question coming out of Boise  
est1986 : 7/6/2017 8:37 pm : link
He is probably riding the exercise bike before the Giants/Jets game..
Guy is made of glass and crazy glue  
DennyInDenville : 7/6/2017 8:49 pm : link
It seems. And he doesn't heal fast either.

He's Greg Bird
RE: Guy is made of glass and crazy glue  
Klaatu : 7/6/2017 9:09 pm : link
In comment 13521586 DennyInDenville said:
Quote:
It seems. And he doesn't heal fast either.


Actually, for a guy who had surgery to repair a Lis Franc injury last November, by all accounts his recovery is going according to schedule. The only blip was some undisclosed illness that kept him out of the last practice.

As James Kratch wrote on June 6:

Quote:
It's early, but Thompson has impressed so far this offseason, and he is getting frequent reps with the first team, putting himself firmly in the mix to earn the second safety job opposite Landon Collins.
RE: RE: Guy is made of glass and crazy glue  
DennyInDenville : 7/6/2017 9:10 pm : link
In comment 13521594 Klaatu said:
Quote:
In comment 13521586 DennyInDenville said:


Quote:


It seems. And he doesn't heal fast either.



Actually, for a guy who had surgery to repair a Lis Franc injury last November, by all accounts his recovery is going according to schedule. The only blip was some undisclosed illness that kept him out of the last practice.

As James Kratch wrote on June 6:



Quote:


It's early, but Thompson has impressed so far this offseason, and he is getting frequent reps with the first team, putting himself firmly in the mix to earn the second safety job opposite Landon Collins.


Hope I'm wrong , hope that Thompson is a monster.
I still would've drafted Justin Simmons.  
Klaatu : 7/6/2017 9:19 pm : link
Damn you, Jerry Reese!
Weak area for Giants that may very well be exposed  
Jimmy Googs : 7/6/2017 9:20 pm : link
in 2017. In my opinion, our Cornerbacks are actually under-rated because they get almost no Free Safety help at all down the field.

Not sure if DT can solidify the role, but if he can...watch out.
This could be YUGE  
Paulie Walnuts : 7/6/2017 9:20 pm : link
.
Giants were 2-0 with Thompson  
giantgiantfan : 7/6/2017 9:25 pm : link
playing last year. Then he went down against New Orleans, Giants went on a 3 game slide until they finally rebounded against Baltimore to pull back to 500. Coincidence? Maybe, but the talk last year was all "this kid gets it" and the Giants threw him in there.

Let's hope the foot is healed and he's not an injury prone player. We at least have a solid backup safety in either Thompson or Adams. Safety position looks solid.
RE: Giants were 2-0 with Thompson  
SGMen : 7/6/2017 9:36 pm : link
In comment 13521608 giantgiantfan said:
Quote:
playing last year. Then he went down against New Orleans, Giants went on a 3 game slide until they finally rebounded against Baltimore to pull back to 500. Coincidence? Maybe, but the talk last year was all "this kid gets it" and the Giants threw him in there.

Let's hope the foot is healed and he's not an injury prone player. We at least have a solid backup safety in either Thompson or Adams. Safety position looks solid.
Coincidence? I think not.... I really hope this kid reaches his potential by staying healthy.
Take a look at all the DB's  
Doomster : 7/6/2017 10:20 pm : link
the Giants have recently drafted....they can't stay on the field.....
Outside  
Doomster : 7/6/2017 10:21 pm : link
of Collins....
RE: D Thompson was on his way to being a star  
King Quis : 7/6/2017 10:37 pm : link
In comment 13521511 WillieYoung said:
Quote:
before getting hurt in game 2 last year. Very few players ever looked that good coming out of camp in their rookie season in the 53 years I have been following the Giants closely. If he can regain that this year and Goodson is a thumper our defense will be better than '86. Of course, if 2 DEs or 2 corners go down in training camp,we could be mediocre.


He was On his way to becoming a star???? Pump those breaks big fella!
I love that he's a ballhawk .  
Manny in CA : 7/6/2017 10:47 pm : link

But I was very surprised to see that a sure tackler he is (almost as surprised to see Eli Apple do the same).
RE: I love that he's a ballhawk .  
SGMen : 7/6/2017 11:13 pm : link
In comment 13521645 Manny in CA said:
Quote:

But I was very surprised to see that a sure tackler he is (almost as surprised to see Eli Apple do the same).
If both D. Thompson and E. Apple making the sophmore leap, we will really be in good shape this year.

Also, lets not forget M. Hunter who has looked good as well.

I'll say it again, last off-season was one of the best in Giants history and we will reap the benefits this year.
the surprise to me is M. Thompson to Corner back...  
grizz299 : 7/7/2017 12:03 am : link
I thought he'd be in the conversation for Free S. And I'm of a mindset that if you can't make it at CB you might make it at FS, but I never thought it worked in reverse.
RE: Injuries....you never can tell - either way. Glass and Glue??...sometimes they get older and bones set (or maybe just luck changes) and they become durable.
Wasn't the hallowed Phil Sims an example of that? Kennard played a full season last year and he was considered Glue and Glass too. And then there was a guy we called Suey (shouda been "Mr. Suey"), Career was finished early and no way he was coming back. The glue was epoxy and the glass ..tempered...
RE: I still would've drafted Justin Simmons.  
allstarjim : 7/7/2017 12:15 am : link
In comment 13521601 Klaatu said:
Quote:
Damn you, Jerry Reese!


This was my thought. I was screaming Simpson when they took Thompson. Simpson looks like a real find for Denver, also. But they made up for it when I was screaming for Goodson and they took him.

But to be fair, I was also screaming for Reuben Randle when they took him, too.

Nobody is batting a thousand in this game, though, and I like Thompson and I'm optimistic about what he can do for us this year.
RE: the surprise to me is M. Thompson to Corner back...  
SGMen : 7/7/2017 12:24 am : link
In comment 13521738 grizz299 said:
Quote:
I thought he'd be in the conversation for Free S. And I'm of a mindset that if you can't make it at CB you might make it at FS, but I never thought it worked in reverse.
RE: Injuries....you never can tell - either way. Glass and Glue??...sometimes they get older and bones set (or maybe just luck changes) and they become durable.
Wasn't the hallowed Phil Sims an example of that? Kennard played a full season last year and he was considered Glue and Glass too. And then there was a guy we called Suey (shouda been "Mr. Suey"), Career was finished early and no way he was coming back. The glue was epoxy and the glass ..tempered...
M. Thompson is my dark horse for nickel corner, backup corner and even backup FS. He is the only other guy with the hips to play the slot. He just needs to stay healthy.
RE: David Merritt  
WillVAB : 7/7/2017 12:36 am : link
In comment 13521565 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
Q: If heís healthy, is (Thompson) the other safety with Landon?

A: Iím going to be honest with you, you can sit here right now and say yes, but I canít sit here and take away from what Andrew Adams has done. I think theyíre all competing for a starting job. That second safety has been illusive for us. To have two guys that can actually step in there and actually hold down the position. Hopefully we will find that solid piece this year but we need four good guys. If we can get four good guys, itís going to be great.


It's a good problem to have. Adams started almost the entire season so if Thompson beats him out, it's an upgrade to an already talented defense.
As long as this guy learns to take care of his body...  
M.S. : 7/7/2017 6:23 am : link

...he will be fine.

But the downside for Darian Thompson: football is a contact sport.
The start  
Big Blue '56 : 7/7/2017 7:32 am : link
should entail actually getting on a football field..THAT would be the best 'start'
There is a big difference,  
Doomster : 7/7/2017 7:42 am : link
RE: David Merritt
WillVAB : 12:36 am : link : reply
It's a good problem to have. Adams started almost the entire season so if Thompson beats him out, it's an upgrade to an already talented defense.

between being a starter, and being given the job because we had no one else......he basically was invisible back there...yes he now has a year's experience under his belt, but the talent is not there....
Thompson has to go out and win the job (again)  
PatersonPlank : 7/7/2017 8:43 am : link
and thats the way it should be. Adams played very well, he should be given just as much a chance to start.
let's hope. he looked good last year and his game compliments  
Victor in CT : 7/7/2017 8:51 am : link
Landon Collins.
RE: There is a big difference,  
WillVAB : 7/7/2017 9:04 am : link
In comment 13521863 Doomster said:
Quote:
RE: David Merritt
WillVAB : 12:36 am : link : reply
It's a good problem to have. Adams started almost the entire season so if Thompson beats him out, it's an upgrade to an already talented defense.

between being a starter, and being given the job because we had no one else......he basically was invisible back there...yes he now has a year's experience under his belt, but the talent is not there....


Regardless, he wasn't a liability. Most teams can't say that about a backup player in the secondary.
If some fans think he was invisible, and the coaches think he played  
PatersonPlank : 7/7/2017 9:06 am : link
very well, my experience tells me he must have played very well. Fans don't watch a player on each play, and just see the big ints or mistakes. Usually an invisible player means he didn't make any mistakes and is playing very solid ball.
I called him invisible,  
Doomster : 7/7/2017 12:03 pm : link
because he didn't make plays.....he had one int where the Philly QB bounced it right to him.....he gave up his share of TD's......he was late in coverage most of the time.....

He was out there only because we had no one else....it's surprising other teams did not take more advantage of him being out there....
Poor recognition skills. I am with Doomster  
Jimmy Googs : 7/7/2017 1:26 pm : link
I think Adams was far more the beneficiary of strong Corner play than he was protecting them.
It's his job to lose if he's healthy.  
Mike in Long Beach : 7/7/2017 1:32 pm : link
But he by no means has anything locked up if he has an awful camp and someone shines.
Wait a SECOND  
Carl in CT : 7/7/2017 2:26 pm : link
That 86 defense was top 5 all time! To even compare is insulting to 86. I'm not even going to debate it!
Go back and check out Darian Thompson  
BigBlueWhale : 7/7/2017 5:00 pm : link
week 1 @ DAL. The condensed game is posted on Youtube. I specifically watched it to focus on DT. He was astonishingly effective for his 1st game. Nailed Zeke Elliot at the LOS. Nailed Witten at the LOS. Showed great closing speed and anticipation to the sideline. (Dak threw almost nothing deep despite having lots of time.) And seemed to overall step up his play in the 4th quarter, coming up with a couple near INTs and a PBU.

It's crazy to say with 6 All Pro's on the D but I think Thompson and Apple both have Pro Bowl ability.
RE: Poor recognition skills. I am with Doomster  
SGMen : 7/7/2017 5:20 pm : link
In comment 13522301 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
I think Adams was far more the beneficiary of strong Corner play than he was protecting them.
Agree. The good thing is that A. Adams worked hard this off-season to improve his game. He has a year of starting experience. You can't have all-pro backups all over the field so I'm pleased to hear of his efforts.

D. Thompson flashed in his short time and understands the defense. If he is a stud; if Eli develops his hand techniques and such; well, we have that much better of a secondary. Possibly the best secondary in the NFL.
Umm no  
The Tempest : 7/9/2017 2:38 am : link
Andrew Adams going forward till proven otherwise. Adams was out there for a season as a rookie while Thompson was on the IR. It will be an uphill battle for Thompson to take the job from Adams if it remotely a level playing field. Draft position aside, should be Adams out there.
RE: Umm no  
SGMen : 7/9/2017 9:16 am : link
In comment 13523524 The Tempest said:
Quote:
Andrew Adams going forward till proven otherwise. Adams was out there for a season as a rookie while Thompson was on the IR. It will be an uphill battle for Thompson to take the job from Adams if it remotely a level playing field. Draft position aside, should be Adams out there.
I'll say it is Adams job to lose.
Remember, game 1 it was D. Thompson starting and leading not Andrew Adams. Injury cost him his starting job and the season. It happens so this camp will be telling. Either one could end up with the starting job and we should not be surprised.

As fans, we should be ecstatic that we have a 1-2 punch at FS this year.
If you make the comment that Adams greatly aided from strong  
PatersonPlank : 7/9/2017 9:25 am : link
corner play, then you have to also admit so did Thompson.

I'm a Thompson fan, and I think he wins back the job, however I won't just dismiss Adams play last year. He showed he can start in the NFL.
RE: If you make the comment that Adams greatly aided from strong  
SGMen : 7/9/2017 9:28 am : link
In comment 13523568 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
corner play, then you have to also admit so did Thompson.

I'm a Thompson fan, and I think he wins back the job, however I won't just dismiss Adams play last year. He showed he can start in the NFL.
PatersonPlank, as I read through this and similar threads and coach comments, I tend to agree that Adams himself played well. Did great corner play help?

Of course it did! But it was the end all and be all of his body of work.
RE: Umm no  
Jimmy Googs : 7/9/2017 10:26 am : link
In comment 13523524 The Tempest said:
Quote:
Andrew Adams going forward till proven otherwise. Adams was out there for a season as a rookie while Thompson was on the IR. It will be an uphill battle for Thompson to take the job from Adams if it remotely a level playing field. Draft position aside, should be Adams out there.


that uphill should be nothing more than a speed bump...
RE: RE: Umm no  
The Tempest : 7/9/2017 12:56 pm : link
In comment 13523562 SGMen said:
Quote:
In comment 13523524 The Tempest said:


Quote:


Andrew Adams going forward till proven otherwise. Adams was out there for a season as a rookie while Thompson was on the IR. It will be an uphill battle for Thompson to take the job from Adams if it remotely a level playing field. Draft position aside, should be Adams out there.

I'll say it is Adams job to lose.
Remember, game 1 it was D. Thompson starting and leading not Andrew Adams. Injury cost him his starting job and the season. It happens so this camp will be telling. Either one could end up with the starting job and we should not be surprised.

As fans, we should be ecstatic that we have a 1-2 punch at FS this year.


I'm very excited about our three safety look on defense with Collins, Adams and Thompson.
RE: RE: RE: Umm no  
SGMen : 7/9/2017 1:04 pm : link
In comment 13523684 The Tempest said:
Quote:
In comment 13523562 SGMen said:


Quote:


In comment 13523524 The Tempest said:


Quote:


Andrew Adams going forward till proven otherwise. Adams was out there for a season as a rookie while Thompson was on the IR. It will be an uphill battle for Thompson to take the job from Adams if it remotely a level playing field. Draft position aside, should be Adams out there.

I'll say it is Adams job to lose.
Remember, game 1 it was D. Thompson starting and leading not Andrew Adams. Injury cost him his starting job and the season. It happens so this camp will be telling. Either one could end up with the starting job and we should not be surprised.

As fans, we should be ecstatic that we have a 1-2 punch at FS this year.



I'm very excited about our three safety look on defense with Collins, Adams and Thompson.
One thing I know is that Landon Collins is a lock at SS and will be on the field all the time. No issues there.

In our nickel coverage, it could be D. Thompson and A. Adams. It could also be Mykkele Thompson (my darkhorse nickle corner with safety ability) as well. M. Thompson has been hurt but he's flashed and if he can just stay healthy I think he totally surprises and earns playing time. He will be the backup nickel; 4th CB; and 3rd FS (go d forbid we need him though...).

Lots of competition, lots of depth, lots of battles. As it should be for a strong roster team.
Sorry but Adams  
area junc : 7/9/2017 4:46 pm : link
cant carry Thompson's jock. And I like Adams and was arguing he should've made the roster last year when he was cut. But DT is on another level and I question those that cant see that. He just needs to stay healthy. Otherwise theres no comparison.
Back to the Corner