Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: USMNT vs Martinique tonight - 9p - FoxSports1

B in ALB : 7/12/2017 5:48 pm
Where is Martinique you say?



Martinique has a population of 336,000. Its chief exports are fruits, beverages and refined petroleum products. There are approximately 260,000 native Martinicans living in mainland France, mostly around the Paris region. Most of the emigration occurred in the 1970s. The official language on the island is French but many residents also speak Martiniquan Creole.

Music is particularly popular in on Martinique where Zouk music gained tremendous popularity and became particularly famous in France during the late 20th Century.

Paul Gauguin lived on Martinique in the late 19th Century and in the movie Assassins Creed III, Benjamin Church was trying to escape to the island. Its main airport, Martinique Aimé Césaire International Airport, serves flights to Europe, Venezuela, Canada, the Caribbean and the US. Lizards, snakes and Mongooses are all indigenous to the island.


Should be a blowout.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
It's not a talent issue  
Go Terps : 7/13/2017 2:34 pm : link
It's about putting a team together, testing guys in particular roles, and testing particular players together in a group.

In the Panama match there were huge amounts of space between the centerbacks and midfielders, and Panama was able to exploit it. That is not a talent issue...it's a familiarity and chemistry issue.
RE: It's not a talent issue  
section125 : 7/13/2017 3:51 pm : link
In comment 13527408 Go Terps said:
Quote:
It's about putting a team together, testing guys in particular roles, and testing particular players together in a group.

In the Panama match there were huge amounts of space between the centerbacks and midfielders, and Panama was able to exploit it. That is not a talent issue...it's a familiarity and chemistry issue.


One of the things that stood out was inability to control the ball in the air. Martinique constantly got to the ball in the air - out jumping us.
Another was lack of speed on the backs.
This wouldn't  
Pete in MD : 7/13/2017 5:50 pm : link
be happening if Lebron played soccer ;-)
It's Talent and Chemistry  
Jeffrey : 7/13/2017 7:35 pm : link
Dempsey was a world class talent. Pulisic is in that category today. Many other American players are performing well in Europe and abroad. However, what has been missing is the coach who can put the talent we have together in a manner that complements each other and maximizes the potential for a result.

Additionally, while there is talent, the lack of depth is really apparent. There is a major difference between potential and talent. We have many bright young prospects in our U-20 teams with enormous potential. They are simply not ready for the big games and tournaments. Arena should be applauded for giving some that opportunity. All that said, the major European clubs are in the business to make money and that occurs when they perform well on the field. They have only recently started to pursue American youth players. It is going to take time and patience, but the US is not there yet.
I know I'm a broken record on this  
Go Terps : 7/13/2017 8:05 pm : link
But getting American players on European clubs is not a route to improved World Cup performances.

We are firmly in the second tier of countries right now...the top tier consists of about 7 or 8 countries. And while there is still a gap between us and them, there are forces that are hurting those top countries:

- An increasingly congested fixture calendar. At this point the Real Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Juventus level players are usually playing about 60 matches a year.

- Enormous turnover at the top clubs. The huge money being thrown around by the top clubs (and by everyone in the Premier League) is causing turnover that borders on the ludicrous. James Rodriguez, for example, is an excellent player that was purchased by Real Madrid, basically, on a lark. They had no need for him when they bought him, and he has more or less wasted three years of his career there. Now he's being loaned to Bayern. There are dozens of stories like his now going on in Europe. Top players are being bought for enormous sums and being paid huge salaries to ride benches.

Another example is Lucas Perez. Perez had a great year at cash strapped Deportivo, and Arsenal swooped in and bought him for 20 million pounds. He barely played, and a year later Arsenal is looking to sell him at a loss. He is keen to move as he wants a shot at Spain's World Cup in Russia. He made a lot more money at Arsenal, but it wasn't any good for his football to move. This is happening to players on many scales in Europe, and I think it's why the quality of play at international tournaments is suffering.

- The big money hurts the national teams in another way...it's impossible to carry continuity from a club team to a national team.

If you take a look at those top clubs, the key players are increasingly not from the country in which they play professionally. Nowhere is this more clear in England, where the top clubs barely feature any English players.
Barcelona is dominated by foreigners, and while Real Madrid has some promising young Spaniards they still only got to play because of Bale's injuries. It's a similar story at Bayern, where they may field three or four Germans in a given match.

A symptom could be seen in Euro 2016, which was universally derided as a terrible tournament. There is little in the way of a national style anymore. No one wants to be xenophobic, but the national footballing identities and styles of European countries are being diluted by the money and it is costing their national teams, IMO.
RE: I know I'm a broken record on this  
Gmen1982 : 7/14/2017 11:11 am : link
In comment 13527742 Go Terps said:
Quote:
But getting American players on European clubs is not a route to improved World Cup performances.

We are firmly in the second tier of countries right now...the top tier consists of about 7 or 8 countries. And while there is still a gap between us and them, there are forces that are hurting those top countries:

- An increasingly congested fixture calendar. At this point the Real Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Juventus level players are usually playing about 60 matches a year

- Enormous turnover at the top clubs. The huge money being thrown around by the top clubs (and by everyone in the Premier League) is causing turnover that borders on the ludicrous. James Rodriguez, for example, is an excellent player that was purchased by Real Madrid, basically, on a lark. They had no need for him when they bought him, and he has more or less wasted three years of his career there. Now he's being loaned to Bayern. There are dozens of stories like his now going on in Europe. Top players are being bought for enormous sums and being paid huge salaries to ride benches.

Another example is Lucas Perez. Perez had a great year at cash strapped Deportivo, and Arsenal swooped in and bought him for 20 million pounds. He barely played, and a year later Arsenal is looking to sell him at a loss. He is keen to move as he wants a shot at Spain's World Cup in Russia. He made a lot more money at Arsenal, but it wasn't any good for his football to move. This is happening to players on many scales in Europe, and I think it's why the quality of play at international tournaments is suffering.

- The big money hurts the national teams in another way...it's impossible to carry continuity from a club team to a national team.

If you take a look at those top clubs, the key players are increasingly not from the country in which they play professionally. Nowhere is this more clear in England, where the top clubs barely feature any English players.
Barcelona is dominated by foreigners, and while Real Madrid has some promising young Spaniards they still only got to play because of Bale's injuries. It's a similar story at Bayern, where they may field three or four Germans in a given match.

A symptom could be seen in Euro 2016, which was universally derided as a terrible tournament. There is little in the way of a national style anymore. No one wants to be xenophobic, but the national footballing identities and styles of European countries are being diluted by the money and it is costing their national teams, IMO.



Doesn't this prove that U.S. players not playing in the MLS isn't a bad thing? I am a firm believer that you need to play with the better players to be a better player yourself. I know this from experience and just being involved in soccer for 30 years. I do not have an answer as far as why our development of players is still behind other countries. You can say it isn't but look at the German team fielded in the Confederations cup. Basically a new crop of Germans that would wipe the floor with us.
If anyone tries to tell you the USMNT isn't better under Arena  
Jon in NYC : 7/15/2017 9:13 pm : link
Great job by the boys  
B in ALB : 7/15/2017 11:41 pm : link
To get the 3-0 result. That was huge.

Night and day performance from that absurdity against Martinique.

Now they're in a good place by avoiding CR.

Arena has these guys fuckin rockin.
Best moment of the match was reading Arena's lips  
Go Terps : 7/16/2017 1:25 am : link
after the Corona penalty. Hilarious.
RE: Great job by the boys  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 7:18 am : link
In comment 13529196 B in ALB said:
Quote:
To get the 3-0 result. That was huge.

Night and day performance from that absurdity against Martinique.

Now they're in a good place by avoiding CR.

Arena has these guys fuckin rockin.


I admire your change of tune after one game against a shit team.

Fuck this team
B in ALB : 7/12/2017 10:37 pm : link : reply
Matt Hedges, whoever that is, is horrific.
RE: RE: Great job by the boys  
Jon in NYC : 7/16/2017 7:31 am : link
In comment 13529229 Gmen1982 said:
Quote:
In comment 13529196 B in ALB said:


Quote:


To get the 3-0 result. That was huge.

Night and day performance from that absurdity against Martinique.

Now they're in a good place by avoiding CR.

Arena has these guys fuckin rockin.



I admire your change of tune after one game against a shit team.

Fuck this team
B in ALB : 7/12/2017 10:37 pm : link : reply
Matt Hedges, whoever that is, is horrific.


Hedges didn't play yesterday. And he was terrific.

Go support Brazil or some shit.
RE: RE: RE: Great job by the boys  
Jon in NYC : 7/16/2017 7:32 am : link
In comment 13529230 Jon in NYC said:
Quote:
In comment 13529229 Gmen1982 said:


Quote:


In comment 13529196 B in ALB said:


Quote:


To get the 3-0 result. That was huge.

Night and day performance from that absurdity against Martinique.

Now they're in a good place by avoiding CR.

Arena has these guys fuckin rockin.



I admire your change of tune after one game against a shit team.

Fuck this team
B in ALB : 7/12/2017 10:37 pm : link : reply
Matt Hedges, whoever that is, is horrific.



Hedges didn't play yesterday. And he was terrific.

Go support Brazil or some shit.


Fuck.

*Horrific
Right.  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 7:36 am : link
How about be realistic about a tournament that we played no one yet and put a team out there that most will not be n the World Cup roster?
RE: Right.  
Jon in NYC : 7/16/2017 7:38 am : link
In comment 13529234 Gmen1982 said:
Quote:
How about be realistic about a tournament that we played no one yet and put a team out there that most will not be n the World Cup roster?


I don't get you. What is your end goal here?

If you're trying to convince us the US isn't a good soccer team/country, go take a fucking hike, guy. You're just wrong and no one wants to read you bitching.
My end goal is to watch quality US soccer.  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 7:44 am : link
I'm still annoyed that they aren't fielding their best team possible. I'm annoyed at people that put any stake in a 3-0 win over Nicaragua. The 3-2 win that they almost blew against Martinique and 1-1 tie with panama was all I needed.

People also need to realize that the coach has a very minimal impact on the game compared to other sports. Arena is not over thinking anything which is good. Players win and lose games in soccer.
You also think the MLS is a good league so we will  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 7:45 am : link
Not agree.
RE: RE: RE: Great job by the boys  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 7:51 am : link
In comment 13529230 Jon in NYC said:
Quote:
In comment 13529229 Gmen1982 said:


Quote:


In comment 13529196 B in ALB said:


Quote:


To get the 3-0 result. That was huge.

Night and day performance from that absurdity against Martinique.

Now they're in a good place by avoiding CR.

Arena has these guys fuckin rockin.



I admire your change of tune after one game against a shit team.

Fuck this team
B in ALB : 7/12/2017 10:37 pm : link : reply
Matt Hedges, whoever that is, is horrific.



Hedges didn't play yesterday. And he was terrific.

Go support Brazil or some shit.


I was taking about his fuck this team comment and how negative he was on that game thread btw. I don't care about a player that sucks on the b team.
Like  
Jon in NYC : 7/16/2017 8:37 am : link
I said, go root for Brazil, Argentina or Germany.

If you don't want to support the US or its local product go have an EPL team or chase Messi around all day.

Fake soccer snobs like yourself are the problem, not part of the solution.
RE: My end goal is to watch quality US soccer.  
section125 : 7/16/2017 8:48 am : link
In comment 13529238 Gmen1982 said:
Quote:
I'm still annoyed that they aren't fielding their best team possible. I'm annoyed at people that put any stake in a 3-0 win over Nicaragua. The 3-2 win that they almost blew against Martinique and 1-1 tie with panama was all I needed.

People also need to realize that the coach has a very minimal impact on the game compared to other sports. Arena is not over thinking anything which is good. Players win and lose games in soccer.


I think what you fail to appreciate is that the B team is winning. Also, we all bitched about Klinsmann not playing younger players to see what he had. Well Arena is evaluating players in game to see if they fit into the future or can improve what is already on the "A" team.
It also saves the A team players a bit of wear and tear and has them fresh when it comes to meaningful games.

Also, it is quite hard to throw 11 on the field and be cohesive if they never played together before as a team. Like any team and especially in a dynamic setting, playing together longer builds confidence and chemistry. The longer the B team plays together, the better they will play.

Lastly, being able to win/qualify any tournament with your B team is pretty impressive.
RE: RE: Great job by the boys  
B in ALB : 7/16/2017 11:05 am : link
In comment 13529229 Gmen1982 said:
Quote:
In comment 13529196 B in ALB said:


Quote:


To get the 3-0 result. That was huge.

Night and day performance from that absurdity against Martinique.

Now they're in a good place by avoiding CR.

Arena has these guys fuckin rockin.



I admire your change of tune after one game against a shit team.

Fuck this team
B in ALB : 7/12/2017 10:37 pm : link : reply
Matt Hedges, whoever that is, is horrific.


What are you babbling about now?

Hedges didn't even play last night.
RE: RE: RE: Great job by the boys  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 11:42 am : link
In comment 13529303 B in ALB said:
Quote:
In comment 13529229 Gmen1982 said:


Quote:


In comment 13529196 B in ALB said:


Quote:


To get the 3-0 result. That was huge.

Night and day performance from that absurdity against Martinique.

Now they're in a good place by avoiding CR.

Arena has these guys fuckin rockin.



I admire your change of tune after one game against a shit team.

Fuck this team
B in ALB : 7/12/2017 10:37 pm : link : reply
Matt Hedges, whoever that is, is horrific.



What are you babbling about now?

Hedges didn't even play last night.


I was trying to make a point of how negative you were in the Martinique thread and. Ow your on arenas jock like he did something spectacular. Here is this better?

What a shit performance by this team
B in ALB : 7/12/2017 10:44 pm : link : reply
Just awful.

No disrespect to Martinique. But it's Martinique.
RE: RE: My end goal is to watch quality US soccer.  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 11:51 am : link
In comment 13529246 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 13529238 Gmen1982 said:


Quote:


I'm still annoyed that they aren't fielding their best team possible. I'm annoyed at people that put any stake in a 3-0 win over Nicaragua. The 3-2 win that they almost blew against Martinique and 1-1 tie with panama was all I needed.

People also need to realize that the coach has a very minimal impact on the game compared to other sports. Arena is not over thinking anything which is good. Players win and lose games in soccer.



I think what you fail to appreciate is that the B team is winning. Also, we all bitched about Klinsmann not playing younger players to see what he had. Well Arena is evaluating players in game to see if they fit into the future or can improve what is already on the "A" team.
It also saves the A team players a bit of wear and tear and has them fresh when it comes to meaningful games.

Also, it is quite hard to throw 11 on the field and be cohesive if they never played together before as a team. Like any team and especially in a dynamic setting, playing together longer builds confidence and chemistry. The longer the B team plays together, the better they will play.

Lastly, being able to win/qualify any tournament with your B team is pretty impressive.


This tournament is for a bid for the confederations cup correct? The World Cup is also less than a year away. Why wouldn't we play the best we have to get them ready? I just don't get it. Let the young guys prove themselves in camp.
And I know it's nice to see them get exposure to  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 11:52 am : link
International play. I would just rather see the main guys get as much practice as possible to prepare.
"Let them improve in camp"?  
UConn4523 : 7/16/2017 11:58 am : link
how much better can anyone get in just practice, in any level, in any sport? We absolutely need to see what our B squad is capable of. Klinsman having no backup plan when Altidore left the first game of the WC in 2014 is all I the evidence needed for why you play the B team and give your veterans rest.
RE:  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 12:05 pm : link
In comment 13529323 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
how much better can anyone get in just practice, in any level, in any sport? We absolutely need to see what our B squad is capable of. Klinsman having no backup plan when Altidore left the first game of the WC in 2014 is all I the evidence needed for why you play the B team and give your veterans rest.


Actually intense training sessions can improve players exponentially. Do these players not play in the mls? I'm just saying our team can benefit from any game play whatsoever.
Guys coming by back from injuries, etc are least rusty in soccer  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 12:08 pm : link
Because you can immitate game speed and actually make it tougher by playing small sides in close spaces.
I'm waiting for one of the experts to try to argue this.  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 12:09 pm : link
.
At least they added antidore, Dempsey, Bradley, nagbe  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 12:15 pm : link
And Howard.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Great job by the boys  
B in ALB : 7/16/2017 12:17 pm : link
In comment 13529314 Gmen1982 said:
Quote:
In comment 13529303 B in ALB said:


Quote:


In comment 13529229 Gmen1982 said:


Quote:


In comment 13529196 B in ALB said:


Quote:


To get the 3-0 result. That was huge.

Night and day performance from that absurdity against Martinique.

Now they're in a good place by avoiding CR.

Arena has these guys fuckin rockin.



I admire your change of tune after one game against a shit team.

Fuck this team
B in ALB : 7/12/2017 10:37 pm : link : reply
Matt Hedges, whoever that is, is horrific.



What are you babbling about now?

Hedges didn't even play last night.



I was trying to make a point of how negative you were in the Martinique thread and. Ow your on arenas jock like he did something spectacular. Here is this better?

What a shit performance by this team
B in ALB : 7/12/2017 10:44 pm : link : reply
Just awful.

No disrespect to Martinique. But it's Martinique.


They were shit against Martinique. And last night they were much better. Should have been 5-0. What's there to argue? You're a weird dude.
RE: RE:  
UConn4523 : 7/16/2017 1:17 pm : link
In comment 13529328 Gmen1982 said:
Quote:
In comment 13529323 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


how much better can anyone get in just practice, in any level, in any sport? We absolutely need to see what our B squad is capable of. Klinsman having no backup plan when Altidore left the first game of the WC in 2014 is all I the evidence needed for why you play the B team and give your veterans rest.



Actually intense training sessions can improve players exponentially. Do these players not play in the mls? I'm just saying our team can benefit from any game play whatsoever.


Nothing simulates a real game, it's not even worth arguing with you on it. You want to see the best player at each position play a full game every game. Works in video games, doesn't work in real life.
Gmen1982 are you arguing just  
section125 : 7/16/2017 2:45 pm : link
to argue? It is like you are dribbling thoughts on to the thread.

You can simulate real game situations in practice in spurts but nothing is like playing against a real opponent and you cannot see the players think on their feet like you do in a game.

I think the experts have given you sufficient reasons as to why playing the B Team is important. Besides, they won their flight, who cares?
RE: Gmen1982 are you arguing just  
Gmen1982 : 7/16/2017 4:44 pm : link
In comment 13529419 section125 said:
Quote:
to argue? It is like you are dribbling thoughts on to the thread.

You can simulate real game situations in practice in spurts but nothing is like playing against a real opponent and you cannot see the players think on their feet like you do in a game.

I think the experts have given you sufficient reasons as to why playing the B Team is important. Besides, they won their flight, who cares?


I'm arguing that they didn't look good in doing so and people have a false sense that it was impressive. And UConn, I would rather have Pulisic play half of the games for Dortmund but train with them than be the man on an MLS team.
RE: RE: Gmen1982 are you arguing just  
section125 : 7/16/2017 5:18 pm : link
In comment 13529493 Gmen1982 said:
Quote:
In comment 13529419 section125 said:


Quote:


to argue? It is like you are dribbling thoughts on to the thread.

You can simulate real game situations in practice in spurts but nothing is like playing against a real opponent and you cannot see the players think on their feet like you do in a game.

I think the experts have given you sufficient reasons as to why playing the B Team is important. Besides, they won their flight, who cares?



I'm arguing that they didn't look good in doing so and people have a false sense that it was impressive. And UConn, I would rather have Pulisic play half of the games for Dortmund but train with them than be the man on an MLS team.


It is the B Team! Who gives a crap how they look. They won two games and were/are getting better as they play together. Another thing is yellow cards. Why chance a yellow card or two in an unnecessary game or a game that does not necessitate play the A Team.
I know..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 7/16/2017 9:14 pm : link
I shouldn't respond to this, but this is exactly what's wrong with the majority of fringe soccer fans in the US:

[quote]My end goal is to watch quality US soccer.
Gmen1982 : 7:44 am : link : reply
I'm still annoyed that they aren't fielding their best team possible. I'm annoyed at people that put any stake in a 3-0 win over Nicaragua. The 3-2 win that they almost blew against Martinique and 1-1 tie with panama was all I needed.

People also need to realize that the coach has a very minimal impact on the game compared to other sports. Arena is not over thinking anything which is good. Players win and lose games in soccer./quote]

You seem to claim to understand the game, yet don't grasp the very elemental concept that teams experiment with squads and give fringe/younger players a chance. You also don't have much of a historical grasp of the game as you seem to think the US isn't showing very well on the Int'l stage, despite a track record over the past decade that says otherwise.

We have a solid second tier team in the world, which is damn impressive.

But I probably just wasted time typing this on just another poster trolling soccer threads.
RE: I know..  
Gmen1982 : 7/17/2017 3:17 pm : link
In comment 13529622 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
I shouldn't respond to this, but this is exactly what's wrong with the majority of fringe soccer fans in the US:

[quote]My end goal is to watch quality US soccer.
Gmen1982 : 7:44 am : link : reply
I'm still annoyed that they aren't fielding their best team possible. I'm annoyed at people that put any stake in a 3-0 win over Nicaragua. The 3-2 win that they almost blew against Martinique and 1-1 tie with panama was all I needed.

People also need to realize that the coach has a very minimal impact on the game compared to other sports. Arena is not over thinking anything which is good. Players win and lose games in soccer./quote]

You seem to claim to understand the game, yet don't grasp the very elemental concept that teams experiment with squads and give fringe/younger players a chance. You also don't have much of a historical grasp of the game as you seem to think the US isn't showing very well on the Int'l stage, despite a track record over the past decade that says otherwise.

We have a solid second tier team in the world, which is damn impressive.

But I probably just wasted time typing this on just another poster trolling soccer threads.


Yeah I prob just don't understand the game.
If you do..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 7/17/2017 3:25 pm : link
you're really poor at communicating it.

The mere idea that you want them to "field the best team possible" shows a complete lack of understanding at what the goal of the group stage of the Gold Cup is. Hell the entire Gold Cup for some teams.

You'd have the same complaint if you were a fan of Mexico here.
El Salvador on Wednesday night in the quarterfinal -  
Del Shofner : 7/17/2017 4:16 pm : link
knockout stage now. El Salv went 1-1-1 in their group. Be interesting to see who Arena goes with after all the players who have "auditioned" so far.
RE: If you do..  
Gmen1982 : 7/17/2017 7:02 pm : link
In comment 13530278 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
you're really poor at communicating it.

The mere idea that you want them to "field the best team possible" shows a complete lack of understanding at what the goal of the group stage of the Gold Cup is. Hell the entire Gold Cup for some teams.

You'd have the same complaint if you were a fan of Mexico here.


I understand why to play second tier guys. I also see it as this could have been an opportunity to get the best players more time playing together. We haven't been exactly world beaters. That's all.
The second tier guys matter  
Go Terps : 7/17/2017 7:40 pm : link
Arena is trying to come up with a 23 man squad. Like I said earlier in this thread, he's trying to avoid making the same mistake Klinsmann made in 2014 when we were completely unprepared for Jozy's injury.

There would be more opportunity to do this if Klinsmann had been fired before qualification started (or fired as should have been after the loss to Belgium; actually he never should have been hired at all), but starting 0-2 left Arena a condensed timeline.

Arena knows what he is doing.

And again, I don't know what "we aren't world beaters" means. Every nation goes through ups and downs, but in general only against the following nations should we feel like underdogs on neutral soil:

Brazil
Argentina
Spain
France
Italy
Germany
Netherlands (maybe)
Chile (maybe)

That's it. Everyone else we're either a peer or we're flat better than them. I'll go a step further and say that I believe there is a World Cup winning team in the US now...not in 2022, not in 2026, but right now. The single biggest impediment to us reaching our potential is ourselves and our inferiority complex.

We've got to stop assuming that people with accents are better players and coaches, and we also have to avoid copying what has been successful elsewhere.

Our success is going to be born and grow organically here in this country.
Come on.  
Gmen1982 : 7/17/2017 8:00 pm : link
I would give three giants superbowls for a World Cup victory but that isn't now. There not enough talent yet. We are still a second round and maybe a quarterfinal team.
RE: Come on.  
Del Shofner : 7/17/2017 8:09 pm : link
In comment 13530495 Gmen1982 said:
Quote:
I would give three giants superbowls for a World Cup victory but that isn't now. There not enough talent yet. We are still a second round and maybe a quarterfinal team.


Then why are you complaining so much about the recent results and the coaching/player selection? You go back and forth. If that's your viewpoint, you should be favoring player development and Arena's approach to looking at different players over results.

Arena is not the greatest coach in the world but he understands the American situation (can't really call it a "system") and is pragmatic as to how to get results from it. Playing the A team in Gold Cup in a WCQ year on the short timetable that Go Terps describes, would be a bad idea. Let's watch now that the US is in knockout in GC and see how it goes. And more important, let's qualify for the World Cup.
I'm just frustrated and don't share the same optimism.  
Gmen1982 : 7/17/2017 8:19 pm : link
I see us struggle to keep possession, especially under pressure. I see a lack of movement off of the ball and trouble keeping the ball with our backs to defenders. There are a couple of exceptions. I know we tied Mexico but played scared to commit forward. Home field advantage in soccer is only climate and we trained in high altitudes for weeks before.


I don't follow the domestic players because I don't have the time. I am very involved with youth development and I will say that players now are much better than even ten years ago. The problem is so are the other country's players. I don't know what the problem is. I don't think we are athletically inferior. We just don't have enough pulisics as other countries that terps stated above do.

I watch these games using my eyes and knowledge of the game. I see potential but they have a lot of work to do. I apologize for being so negative but the depth of the team isn't very impressive as shown in the tournament. They finished nicely but two out of three games were not good.
RE: Come on.  
Go Terps : 7/17/2017 8:24 pm : link
In comment 13530495 Gmen1982 said:
Quote:
I would give three giants superbowls for a World Cup victory but that isn't now. There not enough talent yet. We are still a second round and maybe a quarterfinal team.


I would give ten consecutive Giants Super Bowl victories for one US World Cup.

It's not just about talent. A well organized team can go into a tournament and surprise people, as Greece proved in 2004. Or look at 2014 - Costa Rica was a penalty shootout away from a completely dead Argentina team in the semifinals. In 2002 the semifinalists were Brazil, Germany...South Korea, and Turkey. We drew with South Korea in that very tournament...on their soil!

In 2006 Italy beat everyone they faced...except us.

We're not as shitty as you think we are.
Oh and quick change of direction. I was talking about this  
Gmen1982 : 7/17/2017 8:24 pm : link
With a buddy.

What the fuck happened to Julian green?
JG and Aron Johansson  
B in ALB : 7/17/2017 8:26 pm : link
Just disappeared. Both guys with outside US citizenship.
Terps  
Gmen1982 : 7/17/2017 8:28 pm : link
We have had decent results. We are still just inconsistent. I don't disagree with the teams you put over us. The problem is there are another 20 that can beat us when we are slightly off our game.

2002 gave me Hope for the near future. If we got past Germany we would've played South Korea in the semis and could've won. 2006 we did draw with Italy but that was our only point and we were last. Not very impressive.
I will keep my negativity to myself.  
Gmen1982 : 7/17/2017 8:31 pm : link
I do like to read up on our players on these threads. I apologize for the bickering and will keep it to game analysis moving forward.
RE: RE: Come on.  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 7/18/2017 8:25 am : link
In comment 13530522 Go Terps said:
Quote:
In comment 13530495 Gmen1982 said:


Quote:


I would give three giants superbowls for a World Cup victory but that isn't now. There not enough talent yet. We are still a second round and maybe a quarterfinal team.



I would give ten consecutive Giants Super Bowl victories for one US World Cup.

It's not just about talent. A well organized team can go into a tournament and surprise people, as Greece proved in 2004. Or look at 2014 - Costa Rica was a penalty shootout away from a completely dead Argentina team in the semifinals. In 2002 the semifinalists were Brazil, Germany...South Korea, and Turkey. We drew with South Korea in that very tournament...on their soil!

In 2006 Italy beat everyone they faced...except us.

We're not as shitty as you think we are.


Yes, and we are not as good as you think we are. Chile gives us a similar pounding that they gave Mexico in the Confed Cup. Our back four just isn't good enough.

But this is a good debate, because the answer isn't black and white. I like what Arena is doing - we need to get this next tier of players some caps and establish a US style 50-60 guys deep, not just 20.

I would love for the Gold Cup to go away and for the Copa America to cover the Western Hemisphere. Play Curacao and Martinique in qualifying.
This is a great point...  
FatMan in Charlotte : 7/18/2017 8:29 am : link
Quote:
But this is a good debate, because the answer isn't black and white. I like what Arena is doing - we need to get this next tier of players some caps and establish a US style 50-60 guys deep, not just 20.


where I agree with Terps is that I do believe we are solidly in the 2nd tier of teams, and while Chile may give us a waxing, they are a damn underrated squad these days.

I feel confident that when a match counts under Arena that we'll come prepared to play and will compete. we did it under JK and that was the most dysfunctional I've ever seen the USMNT.

I don't necessarily agree that we have to keep our kids stateside to get better, but we do have to overcome the inferiority complex and the awe of the traditional powers. Mexico has matured past that point(and they've had their share of dysfunctionality too) - now we need to as well.
BHE  
Go Terps : 7/18/2017 10:53 am : link
Anyone can get waxed (see Spain and Brazil in 2014), but I don't think we're at a point where being waxed by a giant is OK. I think we're at the point where if we put in a strong, organized effort that we shouldn't be played off the field by a top nation. Maybe we lose, but we should never be embarrassed. I would point to our defeat against Germany in 2002 as an example.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner