Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Virtual Reality is going to make computer games unbelievable

Eric from BBI : Admin : 7/13/2017 4:01 pm
So my brother-in-law is a computer game designer. And the latest project he has been working on it a post-apoplectic VR game that he let me test recently. Holy crap, it seems like you are actually in the room (not quite as realistic say as the Star Trek holodeck, but the gaming industry is getting there).
Post-apoplectic?  
Brown Recluse : 7/13/2017 4:03 pm : link
I'm assuming you mean post apocalyptic, haha.

RE: Post-apoplectic?  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 7/13/2017 4:08 pm : link
In comment 13527491 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
I'm assuming you mean post apocalyptic, haha.


Yup.
I've heard a few athletes remark  
santacruzom : 7/13/2017 4:12 pm : link
over the past few years that the realism in sports video games has actually improved their on-field skill. The latest was an interview with Jordan Bell, who said he partly learned how to time blocks well with the aid of performing the action in video games.

This is going to take that to the next level.
RE: I've heard a few athletes remark  
Mike in Long Beach : 7/13/2017 4:14 pm : link
In comment 13527506 santacruzom said:
Quote:
over the past few years that the realism in sports video games has actually improved their on-field skill. The latest was an interview with Jordan Bell, who said he partly learned how to time blocks well with the aid of performing the action in video games.

This is going to take that to the next level.


On that note, MLB is in the early stages of changing the way we watch games. The idea is they're developing a true virtual reality experience where you can position yourself anywhere on the field and experience it like you're actually there.

The next 10-20 years should be very, very interesting when it comes to this technology.
Eric  
jtfuoco : 7/13/2017 4:31 pm : link
have you seen any videos on the VOID it is a Virtual Reality experience that takes place in a Warehouse so you can run around and interact with objects in the room. They even added environmental elements like mist cold and warm air to bring extra senses into the experience. That in my mind is the closest we can currently get to a Holodeck but that was a year ago so who knows what the next evolution of VR will bring your relative is working on.

Also I know your a HOI4 player have you played the new DLC or with the black Ice Mod the game is even more addictive then ever
I have the Vive  
montanagiant : 7/13/2017 5:04 pm : link
I bet the game he is working on is the VR conversion of Fallout 3.

The games are really starting to flesh out now and are getting past the Wow stage and into actually depth
I actually think AR/MR will be the bigger play than VR in the long run  
Ben in Tampa : 7/13/2017 5:07 pm : link
VR gaming adoption has been pretty lackluster actually. The costs of getting truly great experiences are still way to high for the mass market, but of course that will go down over time. 5-10 years it will be a much bigger deal.

VR has a lot of great applications beyond gaming. Physical and
Mental Therapy being the biggest one, in my opinion.

Absolutely cannot wait for Fallout VR.  
732NYG : 7/13/2017 5:19 pm : link
The simple VR games I have played w my Google Cardboard already blow my mind, so I can't imagine how amazing things will get from here.
I feel like by the time VR can accomodate for  
widmerseyebrow : 7/13/2017 5:29 pm : link
free movement and true to life tactile feedback, we will have figured out how to directly interface with the brain.
Im not a gamer, but I will be  
Taggart : 7/13/2017 6:18 pm : link
looking forward to how the porn industry incorporates this technology. That tactile feedback could be quite enjoyable.
It's impressive stuff  
UConn4523 : 7/13/2017 8:22 pm : link
but I just want to relax when playing games. It will be interesting to see how VR progresses though.
Almost, but not quite  
jcn56 : 7/13/2017 8:27 pm : link
The raw computing power isn't quite there yet. Give it another 10-15 years and today's video games are going to look like a joke.

That's the story of VR for the past three decades - conceptually, everything else they need has been in place, computers just haven't had the horsepower they need to make it go.
RE: Im not a gamer, but I will be  
Moondawg : 7/13/2017 8:45 pm : link
In comment 13527665 Taggart said:
Quote:
looking forward to how the porn industry incorporates this technology. That tactile feedback could be quite enjoyable.


Bill Burr joked that VR porn will make crack (the drug) look like nothing.
i've seen some VR projects  
RasputinPrime : 7/13/2017 8:51 pm : link
being worked on here in Vancouver. It's going to be really hard to leave the Matrix.
Even if the game itself is really not your thing...  
Bockman : 7/13/2017 9:09 pm : link
...everyone should experience Elite: Dangerous with a VR headset.

Holy. Shit.

You haven't lived until you've flown a space cruiser past a 1:1 re-creation of a solar system.

mindblown.gif
Computer games?  
trueblueinpw : 7/13/2017 9:23 pm : link
Well, yeah, sure. But just think what VR is going to do for porn. Not that I'm into that kind of thing. Just, you know, speculating.
everyone will be going to work  
spike : 7/13/2017 10:32 pm : link
via VR. zero commute
......  
CoughlinHandsonHips : 7/14/2017 8:44 am : link
I'm still waiting on streaming your game becoming a thing. The video game companies would have central hubs of hardware running the games. Players would simply play from their homes in HD, eliminating the need for expensive hardware.
Flight and racing sims...  
Racer : 7/14/2017 9:00 am : link
...will edge even closer to the physical use of your eyes in the real thing. Can't wait to try a flight sim where you can track the other guy you're dogfighting as you pass or try to get angles on him.
RE: RE: Im not a gamer, but I will be  
Brown Recluse : 7/14/2017 9:00 am : link
In comment 13527769 Moondawg said:
Quote:
In comment 13527665 Taggart said:


Quote:


looking forward to how the porn industry incorporates this technology. That tactile feedback could be quite enjoyable.



Bill Burr joked that VR porn will make crack (the drug) look like nothing.


Guaranteed.
Kirwan has already commented on Sirius..  
Racer : 7/14/2017 9:02 am : link
...that teams are working on VR simulations for quarterbacks to learn pre and post snap reads against coverages they haven't seen.

There's no doubt we'll be playing Madden and The Show from the batters box and behind the center at some point.
VR is scary  
giantfan2000 : 7/14/2017 11:18 am : link
there are so many unknowns about it

I saw a talk recently on it and the scientist said when you watch a movie or tv show
is goes to one part of your brain
but when you experience VR - it goes to the place where you store memories ..

RE: Eric  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 7/14/2017 11:39 am : link
In comment 13527524 jtfuoco said:
Quote:
have you seen any videos on the VOID it is a Virtual Reality experience that takes place in a Warehouse so you can run around and interact with objects in the room. They even added environmental elements like mist cold and warm air to bring extra senses into the experience. That in my mind is the closest we can currently get to a Holodeck but that was a year ago so who knows what the next evolution of VR will bring your relative is working on.

Also I know your a HOI4 player have you played the new DLC or with the black Ice Mod the game is even more addictive then ever


No, if I start another video game, my wife will kill me.
RE: I actually think AR/MR will be the bigger play than VR in the long run  
Cam in MO : 7/14/2017 2:40 pm : link
In comment 13527578 Ben in Tampa said:
Quote:
VR gaming adoption has been pretty lackluster actually. The costs of getting truly great experiences are still way to high for the mass market, but of course that will go down over time. 5-10 years it will be a much bigger deal.

VR has a lot of great applications beyond gaming. Physical and
Mental Therapy being the biggest one, in my opinion.


With porn as the biggest money maker.

Once someone incorporates the VR headset with an automated fleshlight, we'll be worrying about ways to get our birthrates up.

Once it advances to realistic androids instead of simulations that can provide both sexual needs and housekeeping duties, forget it. We won't have anything like in the films A.I. or Cherry 2000, it'll be the end of the human race.


RE: VR is scary  
Brown Recluse : 7/14/2017 3:13 pm : link
In comment 13528149 giantfan2000 said:
Quote:
there are so many unknowns about it

I saw a talk recently on it and the scientist said when you watch a movie or tv show
is goes to one part of your brain
but when you experience VR - it goes to the place where you store memories ..


I always feel a little unsettled when after I've been playing a game for a few hours, like say...GTA - I go out to the store or something and get the urge to hack an ATM machine or run over a pedestrian.

Imagine how much that urge will multiply after having been in a VR headset for 3 or 4 hours.

Or maybe I'm just a future criminal =)
RE: Im not a gamer, but I will be  
eli4life : 7/14/2017 6:18 pm : link
In comment 13527665 Taggart said:
Quote:
looking forward to how the porn industry incorporates this technology. That tactile feedback could be quite enjoyable.


Nerds everywhere (along with half of bib) will finally get laid..... sort of
RE: RE: VR is scary  
Moondawg : 7/14/2017 7:04 pm : link
In comment 13528411 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
In comment 13528149 giantfan2000 said:


Quote:


there are so many unknowns about it

I saw a talk recently on it and the scientist said when you watch a movie or tv show
is goes to one part of your brain
but when you experience VR - it goes to the place where you store memories ..




I always feel a little unsettled when after I've been playing a game for a few hours, like say...GTA - I go out to the store or something and get the urge to hack an ATM machine or run over a pedestrian.

Imagine how much that urge will multiply after having been in a VR headset for 3 or 4 hours.

Or maybe I'm just a future criminal =)


This only happens to me after driving games. Note: do not go for a night drive after playing Rocket League.
...  
annexOPR : 7/14/2017 7:33 pm : link
going outside can be cool too.
RE: RE: VR is scary  
arcarsenal : 7/14/2017 7:39 pm : link
In comment 13528411 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
In comment 13528149 giantfan2000 said:


Quote:


there are so many unknowns about it

I saw a talk recently on it and the scientist said when you watch a movie or tv show
is goes to one part of your brain
but when you experience VR - it goes to the place where you store memories ..




I always feel a little unsettled when after I've been playing a game for a few hours, like say...GTA - I go out to the store or something and get the urge to hack an ATM machine or run over a pedestrian.

Imagine how much that urge will multiply after having been in a VR headset for 3 or 4 hours.

Or maybe I'm just a future criminal =)


I was in high school when the first GTA came out for PS2 - I remember going back to a friends house during lunch to play it and when we left we felt like we should just drive on sidewalks and run people over. It was definitely unsettling but also funny.
Back to the Corner