Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Greatest NYG half-time adjustment game:

No Where Man : 8/5/2017 11:06 am
My vote goes to the 1986 regular season win vs. the 49ers. On the road and trailing 17-0 at the half, as I recall, the Giants put up 3 TDs in the 3rd quarter and we're driving for another when Mark Bavaro fumbled on the 49er 6 yard line. Does anyone have a tape of that game?
Not sure if apropos - but my fave is Dallas 2007-8 playoff game  
mattlawson : 8/5/2017 11:23 am : link
Shut them down in the second half after getting gashed on the ground
For me, it was a regular season game vs Philly.  
732NYG : 8/5/2017 11:42 am : link
I can't remember the year but remember being down by 2+ TDs, and the end of the game Plax was in the end zone after scoring the winning TD yelling "Get that sh*t out of here!" to the Philly crowd. It was beautiful.
You mean this one?  
Matt in SGS : 8/5/2017 12:16 pm : link
And yes, I have a copy of this game. Drop me an email. mattinsgs@gmail.com.
http://bigbluevcr.blogspot.com/2012/07/1986-giants-49ers.html - ( New Window )
Same season  
pjcas18 : 8/5/2017 12:25 pm : link
but SB XXI

just watch the third quarter, Giants down 10 - 9, and scored three straight possessions and forced three straight punts to take a 26 - 10 insurmountable lead.

I was so nervous that whole first half.

I was young, but remember it vividly.
the sneakers game  
gtt350 : 8/5/2017 12:58 pm : link
.
RE: Same season  
Steve L : 8/5/2017 1:05 pm : link
In comment 13550366 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
but SB XXI

just watch the third quarter, Giants down 10 - 9, and scored three straight possessions and forced three straight punts to take a 26 - 10 insurmountable lead.

I was so nervous that whole first half.

I was young, but remember it vividly.


This was the game I was going to mention as well.
in the 49er game  
bluepepper : 8/5/2017 1:21 pm : link
we switched from run-heavy to pass-heavy. The passing game had struggled all year. Simms wasn't great and we had injuries at WR. So significan adjustment there.

In the Super Bowl, I am not sure we made any great adjustments. Just settled down and executed better. Team was too wound up at the beginning of the game especially the defense. The Broncos TD drive was something of a gift. They went from about the 35 to the 5 on double personal fouls by LT and Harry. We were better physically than Denver and were going to take over at some point. Just happened to be right after half.
RE: in the 49er game  
pjcas18 : 8/5/2017 1:45 pm : link
In comment 13550381 bluepepper said:
Quote:
we switched from run-heavy to pass-heavy. The passing game had struggled all year. Simms wasn't great and we had injuries at WR. So significan adjustment there.

In the Super Bowl, I am not sure we made any great adjustments. Just settled down and executed better. Team was too wound up at the beginning of the game especially the defense. The Broncos TD drive was something of a gift. They went from about the 35 to the 5 on double personal fouls by LT and Harry. We were better physically than Denver and were going to take over at some point. Just happened to be right after half.

Fake punt and flea flicker count as adjustments to me, Parcells talked about the things they noticed with Denver specials and defense, and once the Giants offense put up 17 unanswered points to take the 16 point (then 3 score) lead in the 3rd forced Denver to be mostly one dimensional.

SF game was great half time work, just thought I'd throw another one out from that same season.
Detroit Lions game when I was a kid  
Shecky : 8/5/2017 2:05 pm : link
Played horrendous first half, dominant second half.
Came home and heard the stories about Carson throwing chairs in the locker room etc.
RE: the sneakers game  
BlackLight : 8/5/2017 2:09 pm : link
In comment 13550375 gtt350 said:
Quote:
.


For whatever reason, when I walk on ice with sneakers on, it doesn't improve my traction. Probably better than it would be wearing cleats, but I've long wondered if winning that game was ever really about the sneakers.
Blacklight I concur  
gtt350 : 8/5/2017 3:05 pm : link
no traction whatsoever
pjcas as I also recall. the running stats for that game were:  
No Where Man : 8/5/2017 3:42 pm : link
NYG: 14 yards on 13 carries, but Joe Morris converted a huge 4th a 2 running play for a first down, during the second half. This performance prompted Parcells to call his Offense Line "Club 13" after this game, and used it as a motivational factor when we played the 49ers in the playoffs that year.
RE: the sneakers game  
Dennis From Scotia : 8/5/2017 4:11 pm : link
It never was about ICE, It was about the frozen field. It was so cold, that day, the field (IE the dirt) froze rock solid. Their cleats were useless. So they switched to borrowed sneakers. and won the day.
That reminds me...  
Klaatu : 8/5/2017 6:01 pm : link
Whatever happened to Sneakers O'Toole?
The first one I thought of was the 49ers game also.  
Matt M. : 8/5/2017 6:42 pm : link
But, in general, those Parcells teams were known for their second half play. They were especially dominant in the 3rd quarters. Their MO was to keep the game close and low scoring in the first half and then dominate, especially on D, in the 3rd.
Sneaker game  
joeinpa : 8/5/2017 7:06 pm : link
Championship
RE: Sneaker game  
Jimmy Googs : 8/5/2017 8:34 pm : link
In comment 13550514 joeinpa said:
Quote:
Championship


yep...
vs. Dallas  
SHO'NUFF : 8/5/2017 10:46 pm : link
when they decided to go with Romo and we pounced on him immediately.
RE: For me, it was a regular season game vs Philly.  
bobtucker38 : 8/6/2017 5:54 am : link
In comment 13550346 732NYG said:
Quote:
I can't remember the year but remember being down by 2+ TDs, and the end of the game Plax was in the end zone after scoring the winning TD yelling "Get that sh*t out of here!" to the Philly crowd. It was beautiful.


Anyone have copy of this game
I'm assuming some of you mean the 1933(?) sneakers  
Big Blue '56 : 8/6/2017 9:12 am : link
game as that was a halftime adjustment..The 1956 Sneakers game had us wearing sneakers from the get-go
RE: RE: For me, it was a regular season game vs Philly.  
732NYG : 8/7/2017 7:44 pm : link
In comment 13550617 bobtucker38 said:
Quote:
In comment 13550346 732NYG said:


Quote:


I can't remember the year but remember being down by 2+ TDs, and the end of the game Plax was in the end zone after scoring the winning TD yelling "Get that sh*t out of here!" to the Philly crowd. It was beautiful.



Anyone have copy of this game

Giants vs Philly 2006 - ( New Window )
RE: I'm assuming some of you mean the 1933(?) sneakers  
section125 : 8/7/2017 8:31 pm : link
In comment 13550651 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
game as that was a halftime adjustment..The 1956 Sneakers game had us wearing sneakers from the get-go


Yep, that is the one.
Back to the Corner