Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Anyone ever have a ESWL for kidney stones?

Anakim : 8/7/2017 11:05 pm
My urologist found a 7mm stone in one of my kidneys (and a smaller one in the other) after I had a KUB X-Ray and a sonogram. Interestingly enough, until this point I had four kidney stones (two in each kidney) and I thought they were dormant (I never felt pain in my back or sides) so I must've passed some without knowing it (thank God).


Anyway, my urologist suggested I go through a ESWL. Just wondering if anyone has experience on the prep, the procedure itself and the aftermath of it done. Obviously when people say kidney stones, those who have had them clench their assholes tighter than a noose. I'm scared to death of knowingly passing stones. The pain seems immense and indescribable.


What sucks is that since I have ulcerative colitis, I'll probably end up getting more stones in the future as stones are a side-effect of UC. So not only do I need to worry about frequent colonoscopies but this might be my first of many ESWLs...
Easy stuff  
spike : 8/7/2017 11:13 pm : link
Just ask for anesthesia.
RE: Easy stuff  
Anakim : 8/7/2017 11:18 pm : link
In comment 13552329 spike said:
Quote:
Just ask for anesthesia.


Yeah, he's going to give me general anesthesia, I believe and he said not to eat after midnight, but I'm just wondering what to expect after the procedure and just general methods of preventing kidney stones.
ESWL  
bitterblue : 8/7/2017 11:23 pm : link
The prep is normal for having to have anesthesia. The procedure is done while you are out. I did not have any pain after waking up. I did have some minor discomfort when the small fragments passed out from the bladder, but you can take stuff for that. It's way better than having to pass a stone normally (I had one that way too), just having to go thru the hassle of the procedure is the main thing.
RE: ESWL  
Anakim : 8/7/2017 11:32 pm : link
In comment 13552335 bitterblue said:
Quote:
The prep is normal for having to have anesthesia. The procedure is done while you are out. I did not have any pain after waking up. I did have some minor discomfort when the small fragments passed out from the bladder, but you can take stuff for that. It's way better than having to pass a stone normally (I had one that way too), just having to go thru the hassle of the procedure is the main thing.


You mean pain killers to deal with the pain of pissing out the gravel? What did you take?
I took AZO  
bitterblue : 8/7/2017 11:36 pm : link
which is over the counter. It's for relief from urinary pain and burning. It seemed to work pretty good but you can always take some of the meds they prescribe you for pain.
Worst pain I've ever experienced  
Since1976 : 8/7/2017 11:37 pm : link
Passed one strong almost exactly 3 years ago. The pain started as a dull pain and then just increased until I was on the floor writhing in pain for close to 45 min during each episode. Peed it out and heard it hit the bowl as it came out. Saved it of course. Do whatever you need to do to avoid the pain. Never ever felt anything close to it.
.  
huygens20 : 8/7/2017 11:52 pm : link
go on roller coasters.
do it  
gtt350 : 8/8/2017 12:05 am : link
I walked into the emergency room, the nurse took one look at me and said "renal Colic". I said "how did you know." she said
" oh there's a look"
I had one years ago and had to be operated on to get rid of it. The Dr  
carpoon : 8/8/2017 2:30 am : link
told me that we usually pass several of them without knowing it. He also told me I would have more because I never drink enough water. It was pure pain at the time.
Had two cases over the last ten years  
Earl the goat : 8/8/2017 6:54 am : link
First one I was hospitalized for. Took four days to pass. Was getting Demerol shots 3x/ day The silver lining there was the urologist who was nice enough to see me and take care of me for those four days became my urologist and two years later diagonosed my prostate cancer with a biopsy because he was suspicious from a slight rise in my PSA and felt a slight ridge during the digital exam

Last case of kidney stones was three years ago
Hospital wouldn't admit me Sent me home with 15 Percocet that I went thru in two days
Worse pain ever. I was ready to jump off a roof
Passed it while I was in the bath tub
Took it in for analysis. Said the chemistry was Oxalic acid and I should stay away from tea and grapefruits
had ESWL done last summer,  
Steve in Greenwich : 8/8/2017 7:39 am : link
you wont feel the procedure at all, they'll knock you out and when you open your eyes its all done. Didn't feel anything at all for the first couple of hours after as well. The night after sucked though, felt like I had to take a piss every 5 minutes throughout the night until I fell deep enough asleep at like 3-4 am. You'll feel general soreness for the next couple of days, but wont really even feel the passing of the small fragmented stones. Just will feel like you got a couple kidney punches in a boxing match.
Kidney Stones are a side affect of UC?  
barens : 8/8/2017 8:55 am : link
..
RE: Easy stuff  
mavric : 8/8/2017 10:42 am : link
In comment 13552329 spike said:
Quote:
Just ask for anesthesia.


With lithotripsy (what everyone calls it) aka: ESWL or "extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy", they sedate you, which is different than anesthesia. Sedation is what they do when you get a colonoscopy. You are actually awake, but have no clue that you are awake.

I've had lithotripsy about 6 times after dealing with stones. You lay on your back on a table filled with water. The a guy using a joy stick while watching a computer screen moves crosshairs around and when sees a stone, starts zapping away.

The reason they sedate people is because you really couldn't hold still while it was being done. It's the equivalent of someone snapping a rubber band on your stomach roughly 10 times a second for several minutes on each stone.

The good news is that you wake up without any pain and even though you're a little groggy, it's not like anesthesia where waking up is a chore complete with the side benefit of puking and having no idea whether or not you are even alive or not.

It's not a bad process. Painless and quick (usually less than a half hour prep where they do an ultrasound, then a half hour under the lithoscropy machine, then wake, dress, and go home. Sometimes you piss some blood afterwards and even see some little flakes in your urine from the broken up stones.
RE: had ESWL done last summer,  
Anakim : 8/8/2017 10:59 am : link
In comment 13552393 Steve in Greenwich said:
Quote:
you wont feel the procedure at all, they'll knock you out and when you open your eyes its all done. Didn't feel anything at all for the first couple of hours after as well. The night after sucked though, felt like I had to take a piss every 5 minutes throughout the night until I fell deep enough asleep at like 3-4 am. You'll feel general soreness for the next couple of days, but wont really even feel the passing of the small fragmented stones. Just will feel like you got a couple kidney punches in a boxing match.


Doesn't sound too bad. I'll take a few episodes of pissing and what feels like bruised kidneys for a couple of days over excruciating pain of passing a stone. Thanks
RE: Kidney Stones are a side affect of UC?  
Anakim : 8/8/2017 11:01 am : link
In comment 13552433 barens said:
Quote:
..


"Kidney stones are common among people who suffer from colitis. While they occur more often in Crohn’s patients, individuals with colitis deal with these painful health challenges more than they would like.

There are a number of reasons for the appearance of kidney stones in colitis sufferers, but the main cause is dehydration. Colitis is a condition of the bowel that makes it difficult for a person to maintain normal digestive function, which affects the absorption of fluids into the body."
RE: RE: Easy stuff  
Anakim : 8/8/2017 11:03 am : link
In comment 13552539 mavric said:
Quote:
In comment 13552329 spike said:


Quote:


Just ask for anesthesia.



With lithotripsy (what everyone calls it) aka: ESWL or "extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy", they sedate you, which is different than anesthesia. Sedation is what they do when you get a colonoscopy. You are actually awake, but have no clue that you are awake.

I've had lithotripsy about 6 times after dealing with stones. You lay on your back on a table filled with water. The a guy using a joy stick while watching a computer screen moves crosshairs around and when sees a stone, starts zapping away.

The reason they sedate people is because you really couldn't hold still while it was being done. It's the equivalent of someone snapping a rubber band on your stomach roughly 10 times a second for several minutes on each stone.

The good news is that you wake up without any pain and even though you're a little groggy, it's not like anesthesia where waking up is a chore complete with the side benefit of puking and having no idea whether or not you are even alive or not.

It's not a bad process. Painless and quick (usually less than a half hour prep where they do an ultrasound, then a half hour under the lithoscropy machine, then wake, dress, and go home. Sometimes you piss some blood afterwards and even see some little flakes in your urine from the broken up stones.


Sounds manageable. Not looking forward to pissing some blood but I guess I'll go piss in the dark. I'm having my procedure done sometime next week.
Be Thankful...  
Oskie : 8/8/2017 1:54 pm : link
...You're having Lithotripsy, the ureteroscopy (sp?) with a stent, now that's just no fun! Particularly the office visit to remove the stent!
Back to the Corner