Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: What would you do differently if starting HS today?

jc in c-ville : 8/10/2017 11:23 am
This is prompted by those here in Florida go back to school today.

For me, I had to much fun in HS. My parents had three kids with me being the youngest and though they stressed academics, I was always able to talk my way out of shit- even when my father knew I was full of it.

He told me that I would be sorry about my lazy attitude towards academics.

Well, he was right.

My grades were terribly average and my test scores (SAT) were decent enough to get me out of NY in to at that time, a very average VCU for a business degree.

I woke up quickly there and ultimately was able to go on to UVA for grad school in my early 30's and now have a decent career within middle management at a large bank.

However, I really screwed myself throughout my 20's with earning potential and quality of roles I had at work.

So, if I could go back, I would buckle down and go to a much better school out of HS to better reach my potential at a much younger age.

You?
Well as a 38 year old man  
Deej : 8/10/2017 11:25 am : link
I hope I'd spend less time chasing after 14 year old girls.
I would find the biggest meanest senior  
superspynyg : 8/10/2017 11:41 am : link
and knock him the fuck out!! Then find the hottest teacher and bang her!
Stop caring about girls  
spike : 8/10/2017 11:43 am : link
Because they will come more willingly when they age.
I was always a mediocre athlete in junior high  
Beezer : 8/10/2017 11:44 am : link
and high school. I loved being on teams and I was good enough to get PT, but if I went back to 9th grade with the knowledge I have today? I'd lay out a regimen and would be committed to the gym and prep. Maybe my genetics wouldn't have allowed for a ton of improvement, but you never know.

I also cruised through high school grades-wise, good enough to never really get on a bad radar with my folks. Since I was the first person in my family to go to college, I was never pushed.

I imagine my thoughts aren't unlike many others' take on that what-if scenario.
Let's see....high school, lol  
Route 9 : 8/10/2017 11:56 am : link
Probably showed up less than I actually did and got suspended more. Suspensions were a joke, why reward kids from BANNING them from school? What also was a joke was the “attendance policy”, lol. They always said there was a red line you couldn’t cross, did that too.

High school was a joke. My teachers were slacker losers for the most part, maybe 2 or 3 cool ones who acted like they gave a shit. Then again, they were the young ones just starting so I guess they had something to prove, the rest were on their 27th year and just were sitting on tenure, cashing in, and doing absolutely nothing.

9th grade was fun for me, our freshman year we had a principal who was on his “I don’t give a fuck tour” because it was last year. My sophomore year, we had Mr. hard ass who changed the formula and made it more like it was elementary school. After one year of freshman year, I couldn’t believe how lax it was under the first guys watch. I think there was something like 200 fights that school year, one year there was 4 going on at the same time.

High school was pretty cool now that I think of it. I dropped about 47 pounds early in my junior year and I felt good about myself. One crazy thing to note was the first week of high school for me, was also the week of 9/11/2001. I always got good grades, went to college and graduated from college as well. I don’t think I learned anything though, I wish I spent MORE time goofing around when I had the chance.

My senior year was fun though, I matured a bit, kind of became the “king of the underdogs” and was the hero fighting all the jocks telling them they are going to suck at life. I told the cheerleaders they’d just marry a bunch of rich guys, I was right. I was kind of a fucking bad ass. I was also on the bowling team, took college prep classes and a few honors classes. Very regal.
Tried more in XC...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 8/10/2017 11:58 am : link
I could have been pretty damn good, but I was more interested in schmoozing & taking my time.
I was a punk in H.S.  
mavric : 8/10/2017 12:10 pm : link
doing as little as possible to pass. All I thought about was getting laid and partying.

If I could do it over, I'd hit the books hard and be the valedictorian. I turned down the opportunity in H.S. to learn how to fly and get my pilot's license. After graduating H.S., I spent 5 years in a factory in a Tool and Die Apprenticeship - which is a good career, but not what I wanted. So I went back to college and because of my shit grades, I had to go to community college in my mid-20's. I got straight 4.0 grades and transferred to a big university.

There are so many things offered in H.S. that I wasted away. I would be a pilot, bi-lingual, and instead of chasing the hottest chicks in school who were just as wild as I was, I'd hit on the wall flowers who were smart, pretty, and well behaved. It amazes me how great looking the skinny little wall flowers in H.S. became the hottest chicks going when returning for reunions. And those girls with big tits and round asses when they were 13 and 14, turned into cows for the most part.

If I could do life over, I think I'd be a bush pilot in Alaska after marrying one of those cute skinny girls I passed over.


How to land a plane on a dime! - ( New Window )
Sleep around more.  
BrettNYG10 : 8/10/2017 1:01 pm : link
.
Academically  
PaulBlakeTSU : 8/10/2017 1:04 pm : link
and socially, I did everything I wanted to do to get me into my dream school and make the friends I wanted to make. But if I were starting over again, I would have stuck with wrestling and perhaps taken up Olympic style weightlifting. I could have been in much better shape with much better fitness discipline and time management in college and beyond. When I started CrossFit 1.5 years ago, it was the first time I ever tried Olympic weightlifting. Not only do I really like it, but my body is built for it. Unfortunately, it's a lot harder starting something like that in my 30's and takes a much bigger toll on my body.
I was bored with high school  
UConn4523 : 8/10/2017 1:08 pm : link
just wanted to leave everyday and go to work. But I also was your typical student who didn't try all that hard, had a good but not exceptional GPA, and just went through the motions. I also quit sports to work which I'm 50/50 on since it helped me learn what money is and how to manage it at an early age, but took me away from what was most fun for me as a kid (Soccer).
.  
arcarsenal : 8/10/2017 1:11 pm : link
I would have kept playing sports and I would have focused more on academics.

I was a good athlete when I was a kid and was especially good at basketball. I was the only one of my friends that made varsity in 10th grade and felt like I was missing out on hanging out after school so I quit and started playing guitar and playing in bands, etc.

I was one of those kids who always got by without really studying. I was never a straight "A" student because I could usually get B's with much less effort. I wish I had actually tried and taken school more seriously because it would have opened more doors for me. But then again, I'm happy where I ended up even if it took a more unconventional route to get here.

That's life, though. You learn and grow by making mistakes and fucking up and making the wrong choices.

As a wise man (Odell Beckham Jr.) recently said, there's no reason to regret anything in life because at one point, it was exactly what you wanted. :)
Smoke less weed...  
Chris in Philly : 8/10/2017 1:31 pm : link
Actually, that's not true. Never mind...
Knowing what I know now  
BigBlueShock : 8/10/2017 1:35 pm : link
I'd put more of an effort into banging some of my teachers. I wasn't really aware that was such a popular thing for female teachers to bang their students. Really missed the boat on that one!
I would have taken baseball more seriously  
DennyInDenville : 8/10/2017 1:44 pm : link
Football didn't work out
RE: Knowing what I know now  
DennyInDenville : 8/10/2017 1:44 pm : link
In comment 13555121 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
I'd put more of an effort into banging some of my teachers. I wasn't really aware that was such a popular thing for female teachers to bang their students. Really missed the boat on that one!

Omg +1

This this this
Paul ...  
Beezer : 8/10/2017 1:56 pm : link
Take lots of precautions with the style of lifting. I started it in my 30s as well (worked with police who power lifted in competitions - I never competed). Today, in my early 50s, I still lift and I'm not in godawful shape but the back and neck stuff ... residuals from the Olympic style. Some days can be on the brutal side. Good luck! lol
study more.  
GMAN4LIFE : 8/10/2017 1:57 pm : link
.
i  
Les in TO : 8/10/2017 2:03 pm : link
would have made a better effort at joining a varsity team or teams (whether track of basketball). I missed out on that experience and I didn't exactly attend a school where it was difficult to make those teams.

I would have also learned at a MUCH earlier timeframe how to properly handle dating/relationships as I was very shy and clueless in that regard.

I have no regrets about my efforts in academics and/or course selection so it was more on the social things where I feel I missed out.
RE: Let's see....high school, lol  
RC02XX : 8/10/2017 2:04 pm : link
In comment 13554950 Route 9 said:
Quote:
Probably showed up less than I actually did and got suspended more. Suspensions were a joke, why reward kids from BANNING them from school? What also was a joke was the “attendance policy”, lol. They always said there was a red line you couldn’t cross, did that too.

High school was a joke. My teachers were slacker losers for the most part, maybe 2 or 3 cool ones who acted like they gave a shit. Then again, they were the young ones just starting so I guess they had something to prove, the rest were on their 27th year and just were sitting on tenure, cashing in, and doing absolutely nothing.

9th grade was fun for me, our freshman year we had a principal who was on his “I don’t give a fuck tour” because it was last year. My sophomore year, we had Mr. hard ass who changed the formula and made it more like it was elementary school. After one year of freshman year, I couldn’t believe how lax it was under the first guys watch. I think there was something like 200 fights that school year, one year there was 4 going on at the same time.

High school was pretty cool now that I think of it. I dropped about 47 pounds early in my junior year and I felt good about myself. One crazy thing to note was the first week of high school for me, was also the week of 9/11/2001. I always got good grades, went to college and graduated from college as well. I don’t think I learned anything though, I wish I spent MORE time goofing around when I had the chance.

My senior year was fun though, I matured a bit, kind of became the “king of the underdogs” and was the hero fighting all the jocks telling them they are going to suck at life. I told the cheerleaders they’d just marry a bunch of rich guys, I was right. I was kind of a fucking bad ass. I was also on the bowling team, took college prep classes and a few honors classes. Very regal.


This reads like terrible modern version of The Catch in the Rye...is your name Holden, by the way?
RE: Paul ...  
PaulBlakeTSU : 8/10/2017 2:13 pm : link
In comment 13555143 Beezer said:
Quote:
Take lots of precautions with the style of lifting. I started it in my 30s as well (worked with police who power lifted in competitions - I never competed). Today, in my early 50s, I still lift and I'm not in godawful shape but the back and neck stuff ... residuals from the Olympic style. Some days can be on the brutal side. Good luck! lol


Thanks, yeah I try to be as cautious as I can. I was hesitant to start because of some back and knee issues but worked on them before starting. I already have some arthritis issues, which sucks.
.....  
Route 9 : 8/10/2017 2:39 pm : link
Nonsense…2001-2005 is nowhere near modern. Back then we were just figuring out what I-Pod’s were. Box TVs and box computer screens. Now we got all this future 2010s, stuff. Like Bieber and reality TV.
I  
mitch300 : 8/10/2017 2:40 pm : link
would buckle down and take school seriously. I just got by. I would skip school almost as many days as I attended. I never studied.
RE: .....  
RC02XX : 8/10/2017 2:43 pm : link
In comment 13555185 Route 9 said:
Quote:
Nonsense…2001-2005 is nowhere near modern. Back then we were just figuring out what I-Pod’s were. Box TVs and box computer screens. Now we got all this future 2010s, stuff. Like Bieber and reality TV.


Sometimes, I'm not sure if you purposely act obtuse to entertain others or if that is actually how you think.
As far as what I would do differently in HS...  
RC02XX : 8/10/2017 2:44 pm : link
I would have burned more huts. That way I would have perfected the way I light those fuckers on fire sooner.
.....  
Route 9 : 8/10/2017 2:47 pm : link
Lol except for banging the teachers, all your answers suck. That time is perfect for goofing around because…well, you’re a kid. If you get suspended from school, you get to stay home. If you get in trouble at work, your ass is fucking fired. You are supported by your parents so you have some leeway to get away with it. All of my suspensions were from lates, or no notes accumulated and the assistant principal (my boy Peters) would give me the option to take the suspension. What was I stupid? Why would i wanna spend my time after school

“Id shape up, buckle down and play more basketball”….awful. Take more drugs, sleep around like Brett said and live life like a WWF champion in the 80s/90s/early 2000s.
RE: RE: .....  
Route 9 : 8/10/2017 2:49 pm : link
In comment 13555193 RC02XX said:
Quote:
In comment 13555185 Route 9 said:


Quote:


Nonsense…2001-2005 is nowhere near modern. Back then we were just figuring out what I-Pod’s were. Box TVs and box computer screens. Now we got all this future 2010s, stuff. Like Bieber and reality TV.



Sometimes, I'm not sure if you purposely act obtuse to entertain others or if that is actually how you think.


It's a reflection of our American education system, bro ski.
If I had the benefit of knowing what I know now  
pjcas18 : 8/10/2017 2:52 pm : link
I would have been less of an asshole.

I was kind of a bully, not the awful scut farkus kind, but worse the toadie, the guy who laughs at scut farkus's jokes/shenanigans and is easily led by the crowd of bullies.

I grew out of it by the end of high school (really the summer in between junior and senior year), once I gained some self-esteem and was comfortable being myself instead of needing to be liked or accepted by others, but the damage had been done.

so college was great, because I was just a genuinely friendly dude who got along with everyone, but man what a dick I was in high school.

RE: Knowing what I know now  
Gman11 : 8/10/2017 2:52 pm : link
In comment 13555121 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
I'd put more of an effort into banging some of my teachers. I wasn't really aware that was such a popular thing for female teachers to bang their students. Really missed the boat on that one!


Really, I don't remember any teacher in my high school that you would want to bang unless you're into a bunch of old ladies.
I wouldnt have quit baseball after soph year  
Chris684 : 8/10/2017 4:09 pm : link
You don't realize in the moment that alot of opportunities you have at that age are gone forever once it's over.

I had an amazing g/f my junior year of HS. She was a freshman from another school. I dumped her the first day of football practice heading into my senior year because I wanted to be the big shot you think you're supposed to be senior year of HS. She was a great girl.

Also senior year, I wanted to head over to Shea Stadium the first night back after 9/11. Parents didnt want me to go but truthfully I chickened out too. Might sound weird but I have always felt stupid about that. I should have gone. Doesnt help I missed Piazza's magical home run.
Not a thing  
Ron Johnson 30 : 8/10/2017 4:13 pm : link
.
Going to take the contrary to most on here.  
MBavaro : 8/10/2017 4:38 pm : link
Was a great student and great kid.

While I wouldn't necessarily ditch that, I'd spend WAY more focus than I did on having some good ole fashion casual sex. Why not? It was an era when the whole "safe sex" thing had become en vogue. The only kids I know that got into any kind of trouble were just plain stupid.

The only thing I would do more of academically is get more into music than I already did. I'm a pretty good musician now, gig alot and teach music in school. More exposure to stuff in HS would have helped even more.
Haha  
Route 9 : 8/10/2017 5:10 pm : link
...
Is the question about going back in time?  
RobCarpenter : 8/10/2017 5:25 pm : link
Then I'd invest all of my money in Balchem stock.

June 1986 price: 0.24 a share
August 2017 price: $75.03 a share.

Or is the question about starting HS as a 48 year old? Being in HS again -- and having to take a test I forgot about -- is a recurring anxiety dream. So no thanks to that.
I never would have played football.  
Diver_Down : 8/10/2017 5:30 pm : link
I started young in the pop warner leagues so it was a natural transition to play on the JV and Varsity squads. I was very good at it, but I loved to hit and inflict pain. We were rewarded with a geigh skull and crossbone sticker to wear on the back of the helmet. Mine was covered. We used to celebrate the gashes in the plastic helmets. Unfortunately, this was before the head's up initiative, and I willingly used my body as a weapon. I have no idea how many concussions I had as we just considered it getting our bell rung. I know there were a few times that I would heave while the world was spinning after a real nasty hit. What I can quantify is that I suffered over 12 neck injuries requiring a back board and a trip in the ambulance to the ER. I'm just glad I can walk.
nada  
RasputinPrime : 8/10/2017 5:33 pm : link
.
Probably  
TJ : 8/10/2017 5:54 pm : link
go to class
Start Rogaine treatments  
JohnF : 8/10/2017 6:34 pm : link
It wasn't approved until I was out of HS. Sigh....
Probably would have been nicer to people  
regulator : 8/10/2017 6:50 pm : link
I don't think anyone would have said I was an asshole, or a bad dude, or even a bully, but if there is anything I regret about high school, it's a few isolated occasions that stick out in my mind where I was unintentionally cruel (yeah, maybe once in a while it was deliberate) to some people who probably didn't deserve it. Minor, run-of-the-mill stuff but I wouldn't mind having it back.

I guess a lot of kids go through that too, but in retrospect, I never really needed to be 'that guy'.

There's so much other stuff I know now that I wish I knew then, but that's why we go through it!
....  
christian : 8/10/2017 6:57 pm : link
I had a blast, got into and out of lots of troible, and at 35 don't feel any more or less different than I did 20 years ago.

I would have focused so much more on music. I have a good career I am proud of, great friends and family.

But sitting in a midtown high rise all day listening to the bands I love and not never having been in one I love makes me wonder what if.
.  
arcarsenal : 8/10/2017 7:41 pm : link
I was definitely an asshole in HS too. But a lot of people are and it's just borne out of the need to be accepted and deflect criticism and focus on other people. No one really gets it at that age but when you're older, it's easy to understand.

It sounds like most of the people who studied hard and had their priorities straight wished that they'd taken life less seriously and had more fun and vice-versa, which is unsurprising really.
Sleep with my hot  
Beer Man : 8/10/2017 7:49 pm : link
Red-headed history teacher.
RE: Sleep with my hot  
arcarsenal : 8/10/2017 7:50 pm : link
In comment 13555422 Beer Man said:
Quote:
Red-headed history teacher.


I definitely, definitely thought this said "Sleep with my hot red-headed sister" at first glance.

Phew.
RE: .  
Route 9 : 8/10/2017 8:07 pm : link
In comment 13555416 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
I was definitely an asshole in HS too. But a lot of people are and it's just borne out of the need to be accepted and deflect criticism and focus on other people. No one really gets it at that age but when you're older, it's easy to understand.

It sounds like most of the people who studied hard and had their priorities straight wished that they'd taken life less seriously and had more fun and vice-versa, which is unsurprising really.


Which is why my answer was perection. I slacked off but did well but wished I slacked off more than I did haha
Bang the unpopular hot sluts that were losers in High school  
Lawrence_Taylor_56 : 8/10/2017 11:41 pm : link
Quit playing hockey and football to spend time doing something with less injuries and brain trauma.

Try less at the school part - Cs get degrees.

Three huge things  
manh george : 8/11/2017 3:38 am : link
1) Not gone to an all-boys high school, although as ADHD as I was, I am not sure it would have mattered. It probably would have. I was so far behind when I got to college.

2) Also, not gone to a school almost an hour away by subway (B Tech). That made my social life much worse--only a few dozen people in my general neighborhood, scattered around.

3) Also, not gone to a prep school for engineering. Every skill engineering required back then, I lacked.
At 15 I suffered the first of many seizures caused by Epilepsy,  
wgenesis123 : 8/11/2017 3:41 am : link
I lost a potential scholarship for wrestling because of the Epilepsy. I could not afford college after County College. I lost many chances at jobs because of the Epilepsy. So from high school on I blamed all my problems on Epilepsy. It took me way to long to learn that this is who I am. I wanted to be the young boy who wrestled before Epilepsy. Once I learned to accept that Epilepsy is now part of who I am, I was able to like myself again and work towards making a better life for myself. Life has its ways of changing who you are and sometimes you have to accept it and move on.
Back to the Corner