Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NYP: Is this the hairy future of Giants OTs?

Del Shofner : 8/20/2017 11:09 am
Article on Biz and Wheeler.
long-haired OTs - ( New Window )
I'm more confident in Wheeler's long term potential as an OT  
Jay on the Island : 8/20/2017 11:12 am : link
than I am in Bisnowaty's.
With all the big contracts the Giants have handed out  
robbieballs2003 : 8/20/2017 11:18 am : link
and will be handing out they need to have some of these latter round picks and UDFAs work out.
I really think the Giants are going to need to  
gidiefor : Mod : 8/20/2017 11:19 am : link
figure out a way to keep both these guys
RE: I really think the Giants are going to need to  
Jay on the Island : 8/20/2017 11:29 am : link
In comment 13565965 gidiefor said:
Quote:
figure out a way to keep both these guys

They better not try to stash Wheeler on the practice squad. He will be claimed by another team, most likely the Jets, and the Giants could lose one of the more promising young offensive linemen that they have acquired over the past few years. I think they will be wise and keep 4 backups with them being Bisnowaty, Wheeler, Jones, and Fluker. I am glad that they still hold Dunker's rights now that he is on IR but I would have liked to have seen him gain some experience in training camp and the preseason. He could be a future starter at either LG or RT.
Totally in keeping with the hairy nature of our offensive line play  
Marty in Albany : 8/20/2017 11:30 am : link
during the past few years. Let's hope the players' extra hair takes the place of the hairiness of their execution.
If Flowers and Hart get whipped this year  
ghost718 : 8/20/2017 11:54 am : link
Than the draft comes and there is a top offensive line prospect,but the Giants pass on him because of these 2 late round head bangers.

Johnny can expect a few letters in the mail,and it will be easy to identify mine.Keywords "Black Bush" and "McADoof"
Banking on these two guys to be the future of the old line is crazy  
larryflower37 : 8/20/2017 12:08 pm : link
I think you have better odds at both of them being at the NFL in 3 years then to be starters
Voice recognition on my phone  
larryflower37 : 8/20/2017 12:10 pm : link
Butchered that sorry.
My point is both of these guys have a lot of warts and a lot of things to work through I don't think they can be counted on long-term.
RE: RE: I really think the Giants are going to need to  
Klaatu : 8/20/2017 12:17 pm : link
In comment 13565972 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 13565965 gidiefor said:


Quote:


figure out a way to keep both these guys


They better not try to stash Wheeler on the practice squad. He will be claimed by another team, most likely the Jets, and the Giants could lose one of the more promising young offensive linemen that they have acquired over the past few years. I think they will be wise and keep 4 backups with them being Bisnowaty, Wheeler, Jones, and Fluker. I am glad that they still hold Dunker's rights now that he is on IR but I would have liked to have seen him gain some experience in training camp and the preseason. He could be a future starter at either LG or RT.


If another team claims Wheeler, don't they have to put him on their 53-man roster? And if he's not ready to play for us - as weak as our O-Line is - why would another team figure he's ready to play for them? Every team passed on the kid during the draft, for a variety of reasons. I really doubt he'd be that hot of a commodity now. But even if another team signed him, would it really be that great of a loss? I tend to doubt that, too.
RE: If Flowers and Hart get whipped this year  
Jay on the Island : 8/20/2017 12:18 pm : link
In comment 13565996 ghost718 said:
Quote:
Than the draft comes and there is a top offensive line prospect,but the Giants pass on him because of these 2 late round head bangers.

Johnny can expect a few letters in the mail,and it will be easy to identify mine.Keywords "Black Bush" and "McADoof"

Leave it to BBI to turn a Paul Schwartz article discussing an unlikely potential scenario into Reese passing on an elite offensive linemen in the 2018 draft because of a 6th round pick and an UDFA.
RE: RE: RE: I really think the Giants are going to need to  
Jay on the Island : 8/20/2017 12:21 pm : link
In comment 13566008 Klaatu said:
Quote:

If another team claims Wheeler, don't they have to put him on their 53-man roster? And if he's not ready to play for us - as weak as our O-Line is - why would another team figure he's ready to play for them? Every team passed on the kid during the draft, for a variety of reasons. I really doubt he'd be that hot of a commodity now. But even if another team signed him, would it really be that great of a loss? I tend to doubt that, too.

Yes they have to put him on the 53 man roster. Who says that he would have to play for another team that claims him? He would be a backup who would have the season to develop. Look around the league and check out the backup OT's on most teams. The Seahawks just lost their starting LT who was a basketball player conversion. A year ago If I told you that Fant would be their starting LT you would have told me there was no chance that he would even make the roster let alone go from a huge project to starting LT in less than a year.
RE: RE: RE: RE: I really think the Giants are going to need to  
Klaatu : 8/20/2017 12:28 pm : link
In comment 13566012 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 13566008 Klaatu said:


Quote:



If another team claims Wheeler, don't they have to put him on their 53-man roster? And if he's not ready to play for us - as weak as our O-Line is - why would another team figure he's ready to play for them? Every team passed on the kid during the draft, for a variety of reasons. I really doubt he'd be that hot of a commodity now. But even if another team signed him, would it really be that great of a loss? I tend to doubt that, too.


Yes they have to put him on the 53 man roster. Who says that he would have to play for another team that claims him? He would be a backup who would have the season to develop. Look around the league and check out the backup OT's on most teams. The Seahawks just lost their starting LT who was a basketball player conversion. A year ago If I told you that Fant would be their starting LT you would have told me there was no chance that he would even make the roster let alone go from a huge project to starting LT in less than a year.


But if another team claimed Wheeler, couldn't we find another cast-off OT to take his place, eventually?
If Hart and Flowers work out great. If one or  
LauderdaleMatty : 8/20/2017 12:45 pm : link
Both
Don't do well they may be ready to help  
LauderdaleMatty : 8/20/2017 12:47 pm : link
Or be depth next year. Wheeler's past and his need to get stronger cost him a draft pick. Kid may develop enough for them to kick Flowers inside
RE: I'm more confident in Wheeler's long term potential as an OT  
Ed A. : 8/20/2017 12:49 pm : link
In comment 13565960 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
than I am in Bisnowaty's.


Oh, and what do you base it on?
I have to say that I really like Wheeler  
gidiefor : Mod : 8/20/2017 12:52 pm : link
he has a great attitude and work ethic in addition to a ton of real talent. I think the Giants also like what they are seeing in him, and would like to keep him if at all possible, and that they are certainly making every effort to give him the reps and work needed to be on the team.
Didnt  
XBRONX : 8/20/2017 1:18 pm : link
David Te really like Bisnowaty?
They are both a year away  
Sy'56 : 8/20/2017 1:19 pm : link
at least...from being guys that can even be considered starting tackles. And even there...a lot of things need to go correctly.

Both need a serious amount of weight room work.

Wheeler does a couple things well that Flowers, who is now in year 3, still doesn't do when it comes to body control and balance. His upside is there because his base is already set...now he just needs t keep plugging away in the weight room. When I did my background stuff on him during the draft process...there were a few whispers about his work ethic not being the greatest. Hopefully that changes.

Bisnowaty looked really bad at times in camp. Not dismissing him at all...but there is a ways to go. He is very inconsistent and there are too many tendencies that pass rushers will eat up.

Are they the future OTs of NYG? Maybe one of them....but odds are one won't be. If NYG enters next offseason with a glaring need at OT...that will have the be the priority in the draft. As of now... I think this upcoming OT class is going to be solid.
RE: They are both a year away  
TC : 8/20/2017 1:44 pm : link
In comment 13566044 Sy'56 said:
Quote:
at least...from being guys that can even be considered starting tackles. And even there...a lot of things need to go correctly.

Both need a serious amount of weight room work.

Wheeler does a couple things well that Flowers, who is now in year 3, still doesn't do when it comes to body control and balance. His upside is there because his base is already set...now he just needs t keep plugging away in the weight room. When I did my background stuff on him during the draft process...there were a few whispers about his work ethic not being the greatest. Hopefully that changes.

Bisnowaty looked really bad at times in camp. Not dismissing him at all...but there is a ways to go. He is very inconsistent and there are too many tendencies that pass rushers will eat up.

Are they the future OTs of NYG? Maybe one of them....but odds are one won't be. If NYG enters next offseason with a glaring need at OT...that will have the be the priority in the draft. As of now... I think this upcoming OT class is going to be solid.


Thanks, Sy, your insight is always appreciated!

Reading your description of what needs to be done, I'm reminded of the dramatic physical gains made by guys Diehl, Richie Suebert, and back in the day, Jim Burt.
Well, it's a sixth rounder and an.....  
MOOPS : 8/20/2017 1:48 pm : link
UDFA. If they don't work out, no great loss. If they do, great.
I had a lot of hope for Adam Koets back in 2007 too.
Wheeler fell for a reason. He admits it in  
LauderdaleMatty : 8/20/2017 1:54 pm : link
ThAt article. 3 year LT for USC. Proably thought he was a shoe in for a draft pick. Maybe didn't work as hard as he could. Being an UDFA is quite a let down. Kids don't realize often how lucky they aren't until it goes bad. I think he's the kid w the most upside. Will he work hard enough to make that jump? Hope so. Even if it's swing T Depth at first.
Might well reverse the priority given to these players at draft time  
Bob in Newburgh : 8/20/2017 2:09 pm : link
You might retain Kemp, fearing the premium placed on LT potential might result in a waiver claim.

I believe you could easily get Bisnowaty through waivers and on to the PS. Besides, Fluker gives you some immediate backup ability at RT.
RE: RE: I'm more confident in Wheeler's long term potential as an OT  
Jay on the Island : 8/20/2017 2:36 pm : link
In comment 13566029 Ed A. said:
Quote:
In comment 13565960 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


than I am in Bisnowaty's.



Oh, and what do you base it on?

Scouting reports, training camp, and the fact that Wheeler is playing LT over Bisnowaty.
RE: Well, it's a sixth rounder and an.....  
Jay on the Island : 8/20/2017 2:38 pm : link
In comment 13566072 MOOPS said:
Quote:
UDFA. If they don't work out, no great loss. If they do, great.
I had a lot of hope for Adam Koets back in 2007 too.

I wasn't crazy about the Koets pick at the time but he had been playing well after being moved to center and was rewarded with a contract extension right before suffering the career ending knee injury. It's too bad as he might have been a solid center for us.
Some of you guys sound like  
Doomster : 8/20/2017 3:02 pm : link
Wheeler and Biz are starters....these guys had trouble with Pitt's 3rd stringers....

But yes, you have to get lucky with late round picks......But guys like Tyler Sash, Markus Kuhn, Cooper Taylor, Bennett Jackson, Geremy Davis , and Mikkele Thompson are few and far between....
Has anybody focused...  
Ed A. : 8/20/2017 5:47 pm : link
on these guys in the Steelers game? I did and Biz looked much better to me. As far as why he's at RT instead of LT is because of his body type and the fact that he is a superior run blocker. Did you say scouting reports? If the scouting reports had him superior why did Biz get drafted and Wheeler become an undrafted FA, Many of you form opinions for reasons unrelated to Football. Not saying Biz doesn't need some developing because he does. However based on what I am seeing Biz has the higher upside. Time will tell,
How does 'base guitar'  
oldutican : 8/20/2017 7:17 pm : link
get past the Post's copy editors?
If it comes down to one or the other...  
Milton : 8/20/2017 7:36 pm : link
I would keep Wheeler on the 53-man roster and release Bisnowaty to the practice squad. My thinking is that a developmental OLT is going to be more attractive to other teams than a developmental ORT, meaning Bisnowaty will be safer on the practice squad.
RE: Has anybody focused...  
LauderdaleMatty : 8/20/2017 10:47 pm : link
In comment 13566247 Ed A. said:
Quote:
on these guys in the Steelers game? I did and Biz looked much better to me. As far as why he's at RT instead of LT is because of his body type and the fact that he is a superior run blocker. Did you say scouting reports? If the scouting reports had him superior why did Biz get drafted and Wheeler become an undrafted FA, Many of you form opinions for reasons unrelated to Football. Not saying Biz doesn't need some developing because he does. However based on what I am seeing Biz has the higher upside. Time will tell,


If you don't think things outside of football don't influence kids drafts stays you don't know what you are talking about.

Bradshaw ring a bell? MArio Manningham are two who fell to the Giants due to this no. Football concerns. Wheeler did as well. And no offense but I'll pass on your watching the Steelers game defining synopsis of who has the best potential at this point.

RE: RE: Has anybody focused...  
Ed A. : 8/21/2017 12:19 am : link
In comment 13566391 LauderdaleMatty said:
Quote:
In comment 13566247 Ed A. said:


Quote:


on these guys in the Steelers game? I did and Biz looked much better to me. As far as why he's at RT instead of LT is because of his body type and the fact that he is a superior run blocker. Did you say scouting reports? If the scouting reports had him superior why did Biz get drafted and Wheeler become an undrafted FA, Many of you form opinions for reasons unrelated to Football. Not saying Biz doesn't need some developing because he does. However based on what I am seeing Biz has the higher upside. Time will tell,



If you don't think things outside of football don't influence kids drafts stays you don't know what you are talking about.

Bradshaw ring a bell? MArio Manningham are two who fell to the Giants due to this no. Football concerns. Wheeler did as well. And no offense but I'll pass on your watching the Steelers game defining synopsis of who has the best potential at this point.

That's your prerogative, As far as whether I know what I am talking about, you have your opinion and I have mine. No offense you say, I disagree with that. That is a copout, that was said with major offense. I have been watching Pro football for 67 years and played semi pro football when I was young. Doesn't mean I am right but I am entitled to my opinion without getting crap from an a______ like you.
I doubt it  
Joey in VA : 8/21/2017 12:22 am : link
Wheeler looked absolutely overmatched in every phase last week. Bisnowaty, meh, I hear a lot of talk out of him about his toughness but I don't see it on the field or in practice clips we've seen. My hopes aren't high for those two or quite frankly anyone this front office has identified at OL. Something is wrong with our OL evaluation process
RE: RE: RE: Has anybody focused...  
LauderdaleMatty : 8/21/2017 7:32 am : link
In comment 13566436 Ed A. said:
Quote:
In comment 13566391 LauderdaleMatty said:


Quote:


In comment 13566247 Ed A. said:


Quote:


on these guys in the Steelers game? I did and Biz looked much better to me. As far as why he's at RT instead of LT is because of his body type and the fact that he is a superior run blocker. Did you say scouting reports? If the scouting reports had him superior why did Biz get drafted and Wheeler become an undrafted FA, Many of you form opinions for reasons unrelated to Football. Not saying Biz doesn't need some developing because he does. However based on what I am seeing Biz has the higher upside. Time will tell,



If you don't think things outside of football don't influence kids drafts stays you don't know what you are talking about.

Bradshaw ring a bell? MArio Manningham are two who fell to the Giants due to this no. Football concerns. Wheeler did as well. And no offense but I'll pass on your watching the Steelers game defining synopsis of who has the best potential at this point.

That's your prerogative, As far as whether I know what I am talking about, you have your opinion and I have mine. No offense you say, I disagree with that. That is a copout, that was said with major offense. I have been watching Pro football for 67 years and played semi pro football when I was young. Doesn't mean I am right but I am entitled to my opinion without getting crap from an a______ like you.




Wow. You played football in the 40. Totally the same game. Thin skinned and Jane major reading comprehension Did I say you were not entitled to your opinion? No I said watching Them play one game on TV is not enough to base future potential.

I would suggest a reading comprehension class. At your advanced age maybe it will give you something to do other than be ignorant and dumb all at the same time. Offense meant
RE: RE: RE: Has anybody focused...  
LauderdaleMatty : 8/21/2017 7:33 am : link
In comment 13566436 Ed A. said:
Quote:
In comment 13566391 LauderdaleMatty said:


Quote:


In comment 13566247 Ed A. said:


Quote:


on these guys in the Steelers game? I did and Biz looked much better to me. As far as why he's at RT instead of LT is because of his body type and the fact that he is a superior run blocker. Did you say scouting reports? If the scouting reports had him superior why did Biz get drafted and Wheeler become an undrafted FA, Many of you form opinions for reasons unrelated to Football. Not saying Biz doesn't need some developing because he does. However based on what I am seeing Biz has the higher upside. Time will tell,



If you don't think things outside of football don't influence kids drafts stays you don't know what you are talking about.

Bradshaw ring a bell? MArio Manningham are two who fell to the Giants due to this no. Football concerns. Wheeler did as well. And no offense but I'll pass on your watching the Steelers game defining synopsis of who has the best potential at this point.

That's your prerogative, As far as whether I know what I am talking about, you have your opinion and I have mine. No offense you say, I disagree with that. That is a copout, that was said with major offense. I have been watching Pro football for 67 years and played semi pro football when I was young. Doesn't mean I am right but I am entitled to my opinion without getting crap from an a______ like you.




Wow. You played football in the 40. Totally the same game. Thin skinned and Jane major reading comprehension Did I say you were not entitled to your opinion? No I said watching Them play one game on TV is not enough to base future potential.

I would suggest a reading comprehension class. At your advanced age maybe it will give you something to do other than be ignorant and dumb all at the same time. Offense meant
holy crap have some respect for an old guy  
idiotsavant : 8/21/2017 7:38 am : link
if this guy played in the 50s or so, lets get some stories instead of argueing, sheesh.
It has been said...  
Ed A. : 8/21/2017 1:13 pm : link
"It is better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt". Congratulations!! You have confirmed it.
Back to the Corner