Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: FF 9/8/17-What did we learn from last nights game...

Keith : 9/8/2017 8:10 am
1. Hunt is legit. Big time weapon who will get tons of touches on that team.

2. I wouldn't touch any Patriots RB. They have 4 quality backs and they will be splitting all season. It's like roulette trying to figure out who will be the play each week.

3. Tyreek Hill is going to have a big season. The Pats def is good at limiting weapons and they clearly keyed on Hill and Kelce and Hill still made them pay. He is impossible to shut down because he lines up everywhere.

4. Brady is done. Just kidding, he will be fine.

Anything else?
I started Brady and had Hill on my bench.  
Mr. Bungle : 9/8/2017 8:18 am : link
Yay.
Of course you started Brady  
YAJ2112 : 9/8/2017 8:19 am : link
no idea why you would bench Hill though
RE: Of course you started Brady  
Mr. Bungle : 9/8/2017 8:30 am : link
In comment 13588135 YAJ2112 said:
Quote:
no idea why you would bench Hill though

Because I have WRs with better projections going into this week?
You really  
Keith : 9/8/2017 8:30 am : link
Bungled that one!
Hunt and hill will be factors all year  
UConn4523 : 9/8/2017 8:36 am : link
but it's still to early for anything else to be determined. NE probably doesn't play that awful on defense the rest of the year, same for Brady.

Berry is a massive blow for them. He erased Gronk and I don't know how they can replace him. Another concussion for Amendola, wonder how long he will be out. Cooks Benefits most from that as does Burkhead.
Gillislee  
pjcas18 : 9/8/2017 8:41 am : link
is on pace for 48 TD's.

RE: RE: Of course you started Brady  
YAJ2112 : 9/8/2017 8:45 am : link
In comment 13588144 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
In comment 13588135 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:


no idea why you would bench Hill though


Because I have WRs with better projections going into this week?


Maybe don't go by Yahoo projections as your deciding factor for who to start?
Before you kill the guy,  
Keith : 9/8/2017 8:46 am : link
who were the WR's? Maybe he has Odell, AB and Julio.
RE: RE: RE: Of course you started Brady  
Mr. Bungle : 9/8/2017 8:52 am : link
In comment 13588165 YAJ2112 said:
Quote:
In comment 13588144 Mr. Bungle said:


Quote:


In comment 13588135 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:


no idea why you would bench Hill though


Because I have WRs with better projections going into this week?



Maybe don't go by Yahoo projections as your deciding factor for who to start?

I don't use Yahoo projections?
Flex spot, half PPR  
bigbluehoya : 9/8/2017 8:53 am : link
Woodhead
Perkins
Vereen
Duke
Zay
Kupp
Cobb

Whaddya say?
RE: RE: RE: RE: Of course you started Brady  
YAJ2112 : 9/8/2017 8:56 am : link
In comment 13588171 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
In comment 13588165 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:


In comment 13588144 Mr. Bungle said:


Quote:


In comment 13588135 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:


no idea why you would bench Hill though


Because I have WRs with better projections going into this week?



Maybe don't go by Yahoo projections as your deciding factor for who to start?


I don't use Yahoo projections?


Who did you start over him?
We also learned  
pjcas18 : 9/8/2017 8:59 am : link
that the Patriots defense was one player (Dont'a Hightower) and losing him turned them into swiss cheese.

RE: Flex spot, half PPR  
YAJ2112 : 9/8/2017 8:59 am : link
In comment 13588173 bigbluehoya said:
Quote:
Woodhead
Perkins
Vereen
Duke
Zay
Kupp
Cobb

Whaddya say?


Roll a 7-sided die?

I guess it would be between Perkins/Duke/Woodhead for me, so I guess Perkins since he's likely to have the most touches.
Beckham and Crabtree  
Mr. Bungle : 9/8/2017 9:00 am : link
.
RE: Beckham and Crabtree  
YAJ2112 : 9/8/2017 9:04 am : link
In comment 13588185 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
.


Well that makes sense then. I would have drafted Hill over Crabtree but can see starting Crabtree this week in what looked to be a bigger shootout.

Only having 2 mandatory WR spots is dumb though, unless it's 16 team league. So you should lobby your league to add more starting spots next year.
RE: RE: Flex spot, half PPR  
PatersonPlank : 9/8/2017 9:05 am : link
In comment 13588183 YAJ2112 said:
Quote:
In comment 13588173 bigbluehoya said:


Quote:


Woodhead
Perkins
Vereen
Duke
Zay
Kupp
Cobb

Whaddya say?



Roll a 7-sided die?

I guess it would be between Perkins/Duke/Woodhead for me, so I guess Perkins since he's likely to have the most touches.


Between Perkins/Woodhead/Cobb for me. I'd probable go Perkins because I'd be more sure of the touches. Woodhead hasn't played all preseason so you don't know if he's ready for a full load, and Cobb is against Seattle.
Egg on my face for starting and reaching for C Hogan  
MetsAreBack : 9/8/2017 9:11 am : link
I focused on him last night - i know its just one game, but feel like an idiot. He does nothing particularly well.

Amendola got a concussion so maybe that opens up a 1-2 week opportunity to step in, but he's not a possession receiver nor was he getting separation on his longer routes. Dorsett could step into that opportunity.

Sat Hunt in my other league - feel like an idiot. I thought the Pats defense was supposed to be good and that they'd ease a rookie into the role.
IN the BBI league,  
Keith : 9/8/2017 9:21 am : link
I drafted Crabtree in rd 4(46 overall) and then Hill in rd 5(51 overall). YAJ took Hyde and Devante Adams over Hill! Mistake?
Well....  
MetsAreBack : 9/8/2017 9:24 am : link
lets see how KC's offense looks when they go back to playing conservative, 14-10 games in coming weeks. I think Adams will have a great year.... but then agian, i'm off to as bad a start as possible (based on one game lol)
I always thought Adams was being overdrafted,  
Keith : 9/8/2017 9:26 am : link
but who knows. I don't think KC will be all that concervative this year because they have explosive weapons.
Hill  
RD in CT : 9/8/2017 9:28 am : link
I'm so happy I was able to snag Hill in my leagues. He carried me down the stretch last year when he came on strong, and I'm excited to see what he can do this year.

Anyone else think Gronk looked really slow last night? was that more the coverage than anything? You know he's going to be a red zone threat, but he honestly looked more lumbering than usual last night
RE: IN the BBI league,  
YAJ2112 : 9/8/2017 9:28 am : link
In comment 13588201 Keith said:
Quote:
I drafted Crabtree in rd 4(46 overall) and then Hill in rd 5(51 overall). YAJ took Hyde and Devante Adams over Hill! Mistake?


I had Adams at 14, Hill 15, Crabtree 16
RE: Hill  
Keith : 9/8/2017 9:30 am : link
In comment 13588208 RD in CT said:
Quote:
I'm so happy I was able to snag Hill in my leagues. He carried me down the stretch last year when he came on strong, and I'm excited to see what he can do this year.

Anyone else think Gronk looked really slow last night? was that more the coverage than anything? You know he's going to be a red zone threat, but he honestly looked more lumbering than usual last night


Yeah Gronk looked slow, but he's always looked that way to me. He's always open based on size, catch radius and hands. Hes never been a guy to blow people away with his quickness or routes. His lack of effectiveness however was due to coverage, IMO.
I wasn't able to watch the game last night  
MadPlaid : 9/8/2017 9:48 am : link
What was going on with Kelce? He only compiled 44 yards from scrimmage. Did the Patriots key on him which allowed Hunt to run wild?
I had Hunt, Hill, and Cooks go last night in 1 league.  
robbieballs2003 : 9/8/2017 9:50 am : link
I am up 81 - 0. So, I have that going for me, which is nice.
Gronk  
giants#1 : 9/8/2017 9:53 am : link
He did have Berry covering him most of the game. He's always been pretty slow. But he's too big for (most) safeties to cover and fast enough to be many LBs.

Also, if he hangs onto that TD, he has a pretty good night.
Hunt looked like Brian Westbrook 2.0  
Heisenberg : 9/8/2017 10:02 am : link
Impressive.
RE: I wasn't able to watch the game last night  
Keith : 9/8/2017 10:14 am : link
In comment 13588236 MadPlaid said:
Quote:
What was going on with Kelce? He only compiled 44 yards from scrimmage. Did the Patriots key on him which allowed Hunt to run wild?


Pats focused on him. KC beat the Pats with their other weapons. Kelce will be fine.
Keith  
MadPlaid : 9/8/2017 10:30 am : link
I hope so. My opponent had the Pat's D and Gillislee last night. The D only produced 4 points which was nice. But, Gillislee's TDs were a killer. I considered him with my 5th round pick in my draft, but I went with Crowder instead. I hope in the long run, I made the wiser choice. Right now, it doesn't look good. Ah well.
Thank you, by the way  
MadPlaid : 9/8/2017 10:31 am : link
Best of luck to you
RE: RE: RE: Flex spot, half PPR  
bigbluehoya : 9/8/2017 10:34 am : link
In comment 13588190 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
In comment 13588183 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:


In comment 13588173 bigbluehoya said:


Quote:


Woodhead
Perkins
Vereen
Duke
Zay
Kupp
Cobb

Whaddya say?



Roll a 7-sided die?

I guess it would be between Perkins/Duke/Woodhead for me, so I guess Perkins since he's likely to have the most touches.



Between Perkins/Woodhead/Cobb for me. I'd probable go Perkins because I'd be more sure of the touches. Woodhead hasn't played all preseason so you don't know if he's ready for a full load, and Cobb is against Seattle.


Thanks, guys.

I've been leaning Woodhead from the outset, though less and less with each day.
I think you 100% made the right choice.  
Keith : 9/8/2017 10:35 am : link
I wouldn't be starting any of the pats backs based on last night. Each one will have a role which will limit all of their upsides. Gillislee was lucky to get 3 goalline carries. That's certainly not happening each week.
I had Burkhead on the bench all week  
GiantsLaw : 9/8/2017 10:36 am : link
I wanted to see how the NE RB crapshoot might look, but then I bought into the gameday hype and started him. oof

RE: I think you 100% made the right choice.  
MadPlaid : 9/8/2017 10:41 am : link
In comment 13588294 Keith said:
Quote:
I wouldn't be starting any of the pats backs based on last night. Each one will have a role which will limit all of their upsides. Gillislee was lucky to get 3 goalline carries. That's certainly not happening each week.

Very true. Just my luck, this was the week he had those 3 goal line opportunities. Ha! GAAAH!
Pats offense is in trouble  
WillVAB : 9/8/2017 10:55 am : link
If Amendola misses significant time. Cooks/Hogan/Dorsett aren't good route runners. Brady got pummeled in the second half because the receivers couldn't run themselves open.

Amendola will have a good year if he can stay healthy -- he's the only reliable route runner at the position.
I think you are significatnly overreacting to last nights game.  
Keith : 9/8/2017 10:58 am : link
Pats offense will be fine. Cooks can run routes and will be an important part. Gronk and Brady will combine for 15 TD's and they will have success in all aspects of the offense.
RE: Pats offense is in trouble  
giants#1 : 9/8/2017 11:07 am : link
In comment 13588307 WillVAB said:
Quote:
If Amendola misses significant time. Cooks/Hogan/Dorsett aren't good route runners. Brady got pummeled in the second half because the receivers couldn't run themselves open.

Amendola will have a good year if he can stay healthy -- he's the only reliable route runner at the position.


Cooks had a 70 yard TD if Brady doesn't underthrow it. He had 2 steps on the CB (on the 3rd and 17 play) and the safety was beat, but the ball was 5+ yards underthrown and the CB recovered and got a hand on it.

With the attention Gronk draws, Cooks will see man coverage quite a bit this year and has the speed to beat just about anyone.
IMO its too early to tell much  
PatersonPlank : 9/8/2017 11:08 am : link
However my one take away is even the great Brady can't function without a solid OL. People bash Eli, but he is usually given a whopping 2.5 seconds to throw.
Cooks  
pjcas18 : 9/8/2017 11:09 am : link
while it doesn't help his fantasy football stats, he did draw 3 penalties against him the resulted in first downs.
I learned it would be smart to pick up Charcandrick West on waivers  
Milton : 9/8/2017 11:11 am : link
Hunt looked great, but he also looked like a guy who isn't going to last all season the way he throws his body around. And it reminded me of Boyhart's concerns about him...
Quote:
Kareem has all the talent in the world but that talent seems to be mixed in with a suicide style of running for his size and build. His numbers at the combine I would consider in line with other running backs his size. But thatís a problem because those numbers do not suggest that he can stand up any better than any other running back in this class and Kareemís style of running suggest that he needed to put up freakish numbers that would coincide with his beast mode style. If Kareem stays healthy heís as good a back as there is in this draft class.

p.s.--I have Tyreek Hill in all three of my leagues and Hunt in one of them. I didn't want to be too invested in rookies, so I have Hunt, Cook, and McCaffrey on rosters, but each in a different league.
.  
arcarsenal : 9/8/2017 11:15 am : link
Well, as a Hunt owner, I'm pretty happy.

I do worry that he's not going to hold up all year with usage like that. They're going to need to mix West in a bit more I think. But wow was Hunt impressive. He makes one cut and he goes - no dancing. He constantly pushes forward after contact, showed great ability to catch the football and be a threat in the pass game. What a weapon.

I have him in two leagues.. he's actually my third RB in one of them (I drafted Gurley and McCaffrey ahead of him) and in the BBI league I have him paired with McCoy who should run wild on the Jets Sunday.
RE: IMO its too early to tell much  
Keith : 9/8/2017 11:18 am : link
In comment 13588340 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
However my one take away is even the great Brady can't function without a solid OL. People bash Eli, but he is usually given a whopping 2.5 seconds to throw.


I must have seen something different. There were multiple times when Brady had all day to throw. I thought the OL played fine. I think the KC defense, specifically the secondary, just got the job done.
.  
arcarsenal : 9/8/2017 11:21 am : link
Yeah, Brady's pass pro was the least of the issues last night. He had YEARS to throw the ball on some of those passing plays and was barely even touched all night.

The problem was the Pats defense. They gave up over 500 yards and couldn't stop anything. Alex Smith looked like Joe Montana. I've literally never seen Alex Smith look that good.. ever. But he did against the Pats.
.  
arcarsenal : 9/8/2017 11:23 am : link
Brady having all that time had a lot to do with KC playing coverage, though. They wanted to keep the middle of the field clogged to prevent those short slot routes the Pats work masterfully. They sent extra pressure on a very low % of plays as far as I could tell. I think they had a really solid game plan.

Berry is going to be a huge, huge loss for them though. That really sucks.
RE: Gronk  
Elisthebest : 9/8/2017 11:43 am : link
In comment 13588244 giants#1 said:
Quote:
He did have Berry covering him most of the game. He's always been pretty slow. But he's too big for (most) safeties to cover and fast enough to be many LBs.

Also, if he hangs onto that TD, he has a pretty good night.

Saw him catch it. 13-0. Went to take a leak (one of the highlights of my life these days) and came back to 7-0. What happened?
RE: RE: Gronk  
arcarsenal : 9/8/2017 11:51 am : link
In comment 13588403 Elisthebest said:
Quote:
In comment 13588244 giants#1 said:


Quote:


He did have Berry covering him most of the game. He's always been pretty slow. But he's too big for (most) safeties to cover and fast enough to be many LBs.

Also, if he hangs onto that TD, he has a pretty good night.


Saw him catch it. 13-0. Went to take a leak (one of the highlights of my life these days) and came back to 7-0. What happened?


Ball hit the turf. Got overturned.
I had Cooks last year so I watched him closely.  
Mike from SI : 9/8/2017 11:54 am : link
He's definitely a good player who can have big games, but I think he was appropriately drafted this year. He'll have more clunkers than you'd want out of a high-end #1 WR (which is why he's a low 1 / high 2).
about 1 week ago  
djm : 9/8/2017 11:55 am : link
I traded Chris Hogan plus a rookie 2nd rounder pick and Jared Cook for Demarco Murray in the BBI keeper league. The only thing I didn't really want to deal was Hogan. I wasn't convinced he'd be an awesome sleeper this year or just sort of do what he did last year--which is around 50-60 catches 6-8 TDs and 800-900 yards--give or take a few.

He wasn't targeted that often last night. I figured it better to sell high on him now but I was nervous that I just traded away a FF stud. IT's early, but it's looking like I won't regret that trade. I'm sure Hogan will have his moments this year but this isn't Wes Welker redux we're talking about here.
RE: I had Hunt, Hill, and Cooks go last night in 1 league.  
djm : 9/8/2017 11:59 am : link
In comment 13588240 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
I am up 81 - 0. So, I have that going for me, which is nice.


Why couldn't you just have dealt me Hunt back in May? Noooooo you had to hold firm to some stupid belief that Hunt would be Priest Holmes part 2....fucker.
.  
arcarsenal : 9/8/2017 12:00 pm : link
I wouldn't go too nuts over Hogan's performance last night. The Patriots can fool you if you read too much into how they use one player in a given week.

Hogan isn't going to be someone you start weekly but I do think he'll wind up being worth carrying.

I actually was deciding between he and Decker in the BBI league in the 7th round - at first I regretted not taking Hogan, but I think I'll probably be happier having taken Decker as my WR3 (if he can actually stay on the field)

I do have Hogan in another league - but I also have AJ, Diggs, Crowder, Kevin White and Richardson in that league so I'm not exactly leaning on Hogan. If he doesn't see any uptick over the next 2-3 weeks, I'll probably dump him but don't be surprised if he pops up with a pretty big game either next week or the week after.
yeah  
djm : 9/8/2017 12:20 pm : link
I agree he will worth carrying.

What I didn't want to see was 9 catches 105 yards out of Hogan. I didn't think he'd be a slot guy let alone a slot beast for the Pats but until you see it with Belichick you never know. I always believed Hogan would stay on the outside primarily. Which is why I was slightly unconvinced that he'd FF beast this year.
Arc  
djm : 9/8/2017 12:21 pm : link
i'd have taken Decker over Hogan too. I like Decker this year.
.  
arcarsenal : 9/8/2017 12:24 pm : link
I do really like Decker in that offense - because they're such a strong running team, it's going to be hard to take away a big target like him on the outside. He's something they haven't had there and will add a dimension they needed.

I kind of view Hogan as someone like Taylor Gabriel in that there are going to be a few 20 pt games scattered through the season but where they happen is really anyone's guess because you could just as easily get an egg. So he'll probably be a risky play.
RE: RE: Pats offense is in trouble  
WillVAB : 9/8/2017 12:54 pm : link
In comment 13588337 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 13588307 WillVAB said:


Quote:


If Amendola misses significant time. Cooks/Hogan/Dorsett aren't good route runners. Brady got pummeled in the second half because the receivers couldn't run themselves open.

Amendola will have a good year if he can stay healthy -- he's the only reliable route runner at the position.



Cooks had a 70 yard TD if Brady doesn't underthrow it. He had 2 steps on the CB (on the 3rd and 17 play) and the safety was beat, but the ball was 5+ yards underthrown and the CB recovered and got a hand on it.

With the attention Gronk draws, Cooks will see man coverage quite a bit this year and has the speed to beat just about anyone.


All Cooks can do is go deep -- and he did so last night vs a bottom tier CB.

But that's all he and the other receivers can do not named Edelman/Amendola.

If the Pats have to rely on that Brady is going to be on his back a lot vs teams w a good rush.
I disagree.  
Keith : 9/8/2017 1:48 pm : link
I saw him run short routes last night. I saw him run a few solid routes and create penalties. I think you are overthinking it. Cooks will have a real good season, IMO.
What I learned...  
TheEvilLurker : 9/8/2017 1:57 pm : link
I learned that the Pats D didn't do my opponent any favors. (Off to a good start!)
After week 4, then you can draw conclusions.  
dcp : 9/8/2017 6:35 pm : link
Regression will happen for Tyreek, that is my opinion.
Back to the Corner