Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Analyst suggests Dolan COULD look to sell

DanMetroMan : 9/11/2017 3:26 pm
"With the NBA’s latest TV rights deal causing franchise valuations to skyrocket, it’s possible that Dolan could see this as the perfect time to get out before the bubble bursts and the decline of cable TV leads to a smaller rights deal in the future. As to whether he would sell the Knicks or the Rangers, because NBA teams are so much more valuable, Ross notes that it’d be far more lucrative for him to cash out on the Knicks should he decide to only sell one of the teams.

“Given Dolan’s views, we would think he would have to consider at least partially monetizing MSG’s sports interests (even with the Knicks at a competitive lull), if not now than in the near- to medium-term,” Ross wrote. “The largest dollar upside would clearly come from selling all or part of the Knicks.”
At a $3.3 billion valuation in the latest Forbes estimates, it’s conceivable, as Ross noted, the Knicks could fetch a record $4 billion price tag.

Should a group be willing to pony up that kind of money, it would have to force Dolan to consider selling the team and, in turn, delight Knicks fans that have loathed Dolan for nearly two decades."
Link - ( New Window )
If this happens...  
Jan in DC : 9/11/2017 3:28 pm : link
it'd basically feel like the Giants winning the super bowl to me.
We can only hope  
bubba0825 : 9/11/2017 3:31 pm : link
Everything he's touched has turned to shit. I wish my father turned over a billion dollar company to me
Apparently  
DanMetroMan : 9/11/2017 3:32 pm : link
there have been confirmed discussions of the Dolan's getting out of the cable business so the thought process would be the Knicks/MSG would add to that value. The Knicks alone are estimated to be worth 3.5 BILLION.
One can only imagine the heights he could reach  
Mad Mike : 9/11/2017 3:33 pm : link
if he can free himself up and really dedicate his energy to his music.
RE: One can only imagine the heights he could reach  
tbonfig : 9/11/2017 3:37 pm : link
In comment 13594542 Mad Mike said:
Quote:
if he can free himself up and really dedicate his energy to his music.


lmfao
Selll to the  
spike : 9/11/2017 3:39 pm : link
Donald in chief
Dolan no longer running the Knicks?  
bceagle05 : 9/11/2017 3:40 pm : link
That's a world I want to live in.
This past weekend, I talked  
Pep22 : 9/11/2017 3:46 pm : link
to someone who knows PJax very well.

Phil claimed:

1 Melo's NTC was per Dolan's insistence when negotiations were not going well

2 The Hornacek/Porzingis friction is real

3 Phil thought the performance of Rose, Melo and KP represented the 3 worst defenders at their positions in the NBA

4 only mistake Phil owned up to was Noah; otherwise he blamed others
I  
DanMetroMan : 9/11/2017 3:52 pm : link
don't see any reason to believe Hornacek's job is safe. In fact I'd suggest odds are greater than 50% he's gone after the season.
This would be too good to be true,  
10 to 13 : 9/11/2017 3:53 pm : link
I wonder though, who would the list of potential buyers be?
RE: Apparently  
TyreeHelmet : 9/11/2017 3:57 pm : link
In comment 13594540 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
there have been confirmed discussions of the Dolan's getting out of the cable business so the thought process would be the Knicks/MSG would add to that value. The Knicks alone are estimated to be worth 3.5 BILLION.


I could see the Knicks alone selling for 4 or 5 billion. It would be a perfect storm. In the biggest city in the world, some of the wealthiest people in the world would be competing to own the one of the shinest toys a New Yorker can have.

How about Dolan takes over the Mets and sells the Knicks. Dolan would do much better without a salary cap and the Mets could sure use it.
Fox  
MookGiants : 9/11/2017 3:59 pm : link
would likely be a potential buyer. They have the YES Network and likely would want MSG Network and probably would love to have the Knicks too
Sadly Dolan  
Metnut : 9/11/2017 4:01 pm : link
would likely be an improvement over the Wilpons.
RE: This past weekend, I talked  
Jim in Fairfax : 9/11/2017 4:02 pm : link
In comment 13594566 Pep22 said:
Quote:


3 Phil thought the performance of Rose, Melo and KP represented the 3 worst defenders at their positions in the NBA


Which of these things doesn't belong here?

Phil's got Zen on the brain.
RE: This past weekend, I talked  
Enzo : 9/11/2017 4:03 pm : link
In comment 13594566 Pep22 said:
Quote:
to someone who knows PJax very well.

Phil claimed:

1 Melo's NTC was per Dolan's insistence when negotiations were not going well

2 The Hornacek/Porzingis friction is real

3 Phil thought the performance of Rose, Melo and KP represented the 3 worst defenders at their positions in the NBA

4 only mistake Phil owned up to was Noah; otherwise he blamed others

the last 4 words of your post says it all...what a jackass.
RE: RE: Apparently  
DanMetroMan : 9/11/2017 4:03 pm : link
In comment 13594581 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
In comment 13594540 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


there have been confirmed discussions of the Dolan's getting out of the cable business so the thought process would be the Knicks/MSG would add to that value. The Knicks alone are estimated to be worth 3.5 BILLION.



I could see the Knicks alone selling for 4 or 5 billion. It would be a perfect storm. In the biggest city in the world, some of the wealthiest people in the world would be competing to own the one of the shinest toys a New Yorker can have.

How about Dolan takes over the Mets and sells the Knicks. Dolan would do much better without a salary cap and the Mets could sure use it.


I would sign for that in ONE second. Dolan moving over to the Mets. He's a moron but open wallet which means the Mets would spend like the other big boys.
It's  
DanMetroMan : 9/11/2017 4:04 pm : link
freakin pickup ball so.. hold your horses but every report has THjr looking much, much improved from when we last saw him here.
RE: Fox  
DanMetroMan : 9/11/2017 4:06 pm : link
In comment 13594584 MookGiants said:
Quote:
would likely be a potential buyer. They have the YES Network and likely would want MSG Network and probably would love to have the Knicks too


Would almost have to be someone like Fox. How many people in the world have enough money for a 3-5 billion dollar Knicks purchase, + MGS + Radio City, The Rangers, Cable etc?
RE: This past weekend, I talked  
Deej : 9/11/2017 4:26 pm : link
In comment 13594566 Pep22 said:
Quote:
to someone who knows PJax very well.

Phil claimed:

1 Melo's NTC was per Dolan's insistence when negotiations were not going well


So easy to point the finger. See #4. I really dont think Dolan was dictating to Phil.

Quote:


2 The Hornacek/Porzingis friction is real


Adios, Horny. Im not a KP can do no wrong type, but we've heard enough about Horny being a dick to him. Probably because he couldnt yell at Rose/Melo.
Quote:


3 Phil thought the performance of Rose, Melo and KP represented the 3 worst defenders at their positions in the NBA


Lunacy. Rose wasnt as bad as Thomas or Jackson or Dame. I doubt Rose was bottom 5. Melo wasnt as bad as Wiggins, but he may have been the 2nd worst big minute SF. Im sure there are a bunch of 25+ minute spot up shooter types who were worse. KP is not a bad defender, and putting him as the worst PF is a joke.
Quote:


4 only mistake Phil owned up to was Noah; otherwise he blamed others


It's always someone else's fault. That's the problem with Phil. When the chips are down, he points fingers.
Im still betting  
Deej : 9/11/2017 4:33 pm : link
that there's a decent chance that the death of the father (or maybe the death of both parents) will cause Jimmy Dolan to sell and go do his music thing. I dont think he particularly like the MSG work/criticism. And he has lots of siblings who may be happy walking away from the businesses. They sold the crown jewel, the "family business". What's left is the sideshows.
RE: RE: This past weekend, I talked  
DanMetroMan : 9/11/2017 4:33 pm : link
In comment 13594637 Deej said:
Quote:
In comment 13594566 Pep22 said:


Quote:


to someone who knows PJax very well.

Phil claimed:

1 Melo's NTC was per Dolan's insistence when negotiations were not going well



So easy to point the finger. See #4. I really dont think Dolan was dictating to Phil.



Quote:




2 The Hornacek/Porzingis friction is real



Adios, Horny. Im not a KP can do no wrong type, but we've heard enough about Horny being a dick to him. Probably because he couldnt yell at Rose/Melo.


Quote:




3 Phil thought the performance of Rose, Melo and KP represented the 3 worst defenders at their positions in the NBA



Lunacy. Rose wasnt as bad as Thomas or Jackson or Dame. I doubt Rose was bottom 5. Melo wasnt as bad as Wiggins, but he may have been the 2nd worst big minute SF. Im sure there are a bunch of 25+ minute spot up shooter types who were worse. KP is not a bad defender, and putting him as the worst PF is a joke.


Quote:




4 only mistake Phil owned up to was Noah; otherwise he blamed others



It's always someone else's fault. That's the problem with Phil. When the chips are down, he points fingers.


In the vaunted Vecsey/Hornacek piece Noah essentially says as much. Makes Hornacek sound soft and afraid to deal with Melo/Rose... "somebody" needs to take his licks so it ends up being KP. Noah made Hoiberg/Hornacek sound like they are cut from the same cloth. Hornacek apparently was viewed as a puss in Phoenix as well, might have been part of the reason Phil wanted him in the first place.
Horny absolutely LOOKED  
Deej : 9/11/2017 4:46 pm : link
like a passenger at times, and not in command. Who knows if that's how it really was, but he spent a lot of time looking befuddled rather than in control of his bench.

It's an inherent problem with vets who are not complete and fully motivated. Kids you can ream out but the tradition is not to do that with vets. To me that's the best argument for moving on from Melo (other than a good return) -- he wont D up and coaches wont hold him accountable for it.
Dolan/Jackson  
Samiam : 9/11/2017 5:07 pm : link
There is no question in my mind that Melo's no trade clause came from Dolan. I don't believe for a second that Jackson, or any professional basketball person, would have put that clause in because there is and was no doubt that it gave Melo an upper hand going forward that would come back to bite the team in the ass. For reference, just go back to the negotiations that brought Melo to NY in the first place. I don't know what Walsh offered; lots of offers were speculated but Dolan eventually caved in and gave more than Walsh was prepared to give. For all we know it could have been the extra 1st round pick a few years later. The thought that Dolan does not or did not get involved when Jackson was running things in crazy in my opinion.
RE: Dolan/Jackson  
Enzo : 9/11/2017 5:11 pm : link
In comment 13594703 Samiam said:
Quote:
There is no question in my mind that Melo's no trade clause came from Dolan.

because so many of Phil's other decisions were just so damn fantastic?
RE: Im still betting  
jcn56 : 9/11/2017 5:33 pm : link
In comment 13594657 Deej said:
Quote:
that there's a decent chance that the death of the father (or maybe the death of both parents) will cause Jimmy Dolan to sell and go do his music thing. I dont think he particularly like the MSG work/criticism. And he has lots of siblings who may be happy walking away from the businesses. They sold the crown jewel, the "family business". What's left is the sideshows.


Yeah, but those sideshows are where they can be publicly seen and play boss more so than the cable business. I'm afraid Dolan never sells while he's alive because he's never going to get the attention and ass kissing the way he does front and center at MSG.
From your lips to  
Chris L. : 9/11/2017 6:32 pm : link
god's ear. This would make my decade!
RE: Apparently  
Gatorade Dunk : 9/11/2017 6:34 pm : link
In comment 13594540 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
there have been confirmed discussions of the Dolan's getting out of the cable business so the thought process would be the Knicks/MSG would add to that value. The Knicks alone are estimated to be worth 3.5 BILLION.

Aside from Rainbow Media, they're already out of the cable business. Keep in mind that MSG is publicly traded - there's some speculation that JD would like to re-privatize, but that's easier said than done given the executive stock options baked into comp packages.

Also, because of the publicly traded nature of the company, it would be complicated to spin off only the Knicks. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it's not very simple.
Well this sounds like Horny should be out the door already  
adamg : 9/11/2017 6:37 pm : link
What is the impetus for keeping him for now?
RE: RE: Fox  
Gatorade Dunk : 9/11/2017 6:37 pm : link
In comment 13594597 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
In comment 13594584 MookGiants said:


Quote:


would likely be a potential buyer. They have the YES Network and likely would want MSG Network and probably would love to have the Knicks too



Would almost have to be someone like Fox. How many people in the world have enough money for a 3-5 billion dollar Knicks purchase, + MGS + Radio City, The Rangers, Cable etc?

The network is already a separate company - it spun off in 2015. CVC is already sold.
Back to the Corner