Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

No matter if the problem is Eli or the line or both

exiled : 9/19/2017 8:52 am
It's clear after watching all of last season and now with two games in, Eli CANNOT be effective with this line.

Who knows whether or not his skills are diminished? How would we know? There's NOTHING about this offense that actually uses his skills.

And it's also clear that our running backs can't be effective with this line.

The line has sucked for six seasons now--near rock bottom. You can argue that Reese tried to fix the problem, but he hasn't. I'll never get over it as a fan, that the organization decided to pair Eli Manning, our immobile pocket passer, with this fucking abysmal line.
He's been sacked 8 times in two games against not particularly strong  
Bold Ruler : Mod : 9/19/2017 8:54 am : link
defenses. I legitimately worry that Eli won't make it through the season.
I don't agree - and in spurts last night, he was effective  
jcn56 : 9/19/2017 8:56 am : link
with this line. They certainly can't continue like the last two weeks though.

They need to make some serious changes to the offensive playcalling, first and foremost. Then they need to shake up the OL a bit. They can fix this, but they won't if they don't start making some changes, can't keep doing the same things and expecting different results.
RE: He's been sacked 8 times in two games against not particularly strong  
lecky : 9/19/2017 8:59 am : link
In comment 13605895 Bold Ruler said:
Quote:
defenses. I legitimately worry that Eli won't make it through the season.


Lets chalk this up to the pressure of 2 prime time games and a coach that has what seems to be a 3 play repertoire. Run left of center, run right of center and everybody go out for a pass. Looks like schoolyard football so far.
Only an idiot, yes that means you Jerry, would  
Thatís Gold, Jerry : 9/19/2017 9:00 am : link
not recognize what Eli has been and is today. He is a pocket passer with some ability to move inside the pocket but he needs a decent offensive line to be effective.

Eli is not Rodgers where there is the threat of run or he can make plays by himself on a regular basis. Eli is a traditional NFL pocket passer and thus requires protection. If the Giants did not realize this, then who is the dummy here? It is the Giants, specifically Jerry Reese, who has saddled Eli with a lousy offensive line that actually started in 2011 and has continued unabated.

Give Eli decent protection and he will move the team and put up points. But he cannot perform under the current circumstances...I'm not sure, frankly, anyone could. This is an indictment of the entire front office and offensive coaching staff IMHO. They have failed and they put their faith in the wrong person(s)...namely Flowers and Hart.
yeah  
giantfan2000 : 9/19/2017 9:02 am : link
eli got pounded in second half ..
Eli  
PaulN : 9/19/2017 9:06 am : link
Can not be effective with an inferior offensive line, and Reese needs top be fired along with McAdoo. Two fucking idiots.
that one play he got absolutely crushed  
mattlawson : 9/19/2017 9:56 am : link
the waffly pass he somehow got off to sheppard. that was serious
RE: He's been sacked 8 times in two games against not particularly strong  
AcidTest : 9/19/2017 10:06 am : link
In comment 13605895 Bold Ruler said:
Quote:
defenses. I legitimately worry that Eli won't make it through the season.


I don't think he will. There have also of course been a lot of hits in addition to the sacks. Better defenses will destroy him.
RE: that one play he got absolutely crushed  
Britt in VA : 9/19/2017 10:07 am : link
In comment 13606105 mattlawson said:
Quote:
the waffly pass he somehow got off to sheppard. that was serious


This one.
Link - ( New Window )
...  
BrettNYG10 : 9/19/2017 10:08 am : link
If Eli's skill players made plays we're talking about an entirely different game - maybe a win, or maybe we're just bitching about ST's today. Marshall's drop was brutal. Engram could have made that play near the end zone.

We've had bad OL's before. But the team's had good offenses because the WR's made plays.
And watch that gif that I just posted.  
Britt in VA : 9/19/2017 10:09 am : link
There are 4 Lions linemen in the frame and not a single Giants O-lineman to be found.
RE: RE: that one play he got absolutely crushed  
JohnB : 9/19/2017 10:10 am : link
In comment 13606134 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
In comment 13606105 mattlawson said:


Quote:


the waffly pass he somehow got off to sheppard. that was serious



This one. Link - ( New Window )



Eli is one tough SOB.
I hope people see that.
I fear Eli will get injured vs this fast eagles defense sunday  
micky : 9/19/2017 10:11 am : link
.
Exactly  
jeff57 : 9/19/2017 10:12 am : link
Russell Wilson could QB behind this line. Manning simply can't.
makes you wonder if two years ago they 'let go' of the wrong guy  
Dinger : 9/19/2017 10:18 am : link
Hindsight is 20/20 and 2 years ago I was all for a change. I couldn't say I supported Coughlin over Reese, but as a fan I wanted change. I wonder how or if things would be different if they kept Tom Coughlin and 'moved on' from Jerry Reese? What if they had blown the whole damn thing up? Just pondering. 0 and 2 sux.......
RE: RE: that one play he got absolutely crushed  
exiled : 9/19/2017 11:06 am : link
Quote:


The waffly pass he somehow got off to sheppard. that was serious



This one. Link - ( New Window )


Oh jeez, looking at it in isolation like that. Brutal!
An offense that is completely one dimensional  
RobCarpenter : 9/19/2017 11:08 am : link
Will have a hard time being successful. The Giants cannot run the ball.
RE: RE: RE: that one play he got absolutely crushed  
Britt in VA : 9/19/2017 11:08 am : link
In comment 13606369 exiled said:
Quote:


Quote:




The waffly pass he somehow got off to sheppard. that was serious



This one. Link - ( New Window )



Oh jeez, looking at it in isolation like that. Brutal!


Here's an even uglier angle:

Link - ( New Window )
He's lucky he didn't break his neck.  
Britt in VA : 9/19/2017 11:09 am : link
.
Eli is playing scared!  
widmerseyebrow : 9/19/2017 11:11 am : link
Gotta love those comments. What quarterback wouldn't be under the circumstances? We all know the answer isn't Tom Brady, the hands down best in the league.
RE: Only an idiot, yes that means you Jerry, would  
Mark C : 9/19/2017 11:21 am : link
In comment 13605909 Thatís Gold, Jerry said:
Quote:
not recognize what Eli has been and is today. He is a pocket passer with some ability to move inside the pocket but he needs a decent offensive line to be effective.

Eli is not Rodgers where there is the threat of run or he can make plays by himself on a regular basis. Eli is a traditional NFL pocket passer and thus requires protection. If the Giants did not realize this, then who is the dummy here? It is the Giants, specifically Jerry Reese, who has saddled Eli with a lousy offensive line that actually started in 2011 and has continued unabated.

Give Eli decent protection and he will move the team and put up points. But he cannot perform under the current circumstances...I'm not sure, frankly, anyone could. This is an indictment of the entire front office and offensive coaching staff IMHO. They have failed and they put their faith in the wrong person(s)...namely Flowers and Hart.


You're not wrong about what he is today, but why can't you acknowledge that Eli is simply not the same quarterback he was two years ago? Nobody could perform under the current circumstances? Really, that is a crock! Put Stafford on the Giants last night, and they win that game. Eli is done. Face it, man.
RE: RE: Only an idiot, yes that means you Jerry, would  
Britt in VA : 9/19/2017 11:22 am : link
In comment 13606412 Mark C said:
Quote:
In comment 13605909 Thatís Gold, Jerry said:


Quote:


not recognize what Eli has been and is today. He is a pocket passer with some ability to move inside the pocket but he needs a decent offensive line to be effective.

Eli is not Rodgers where there is the threat of run or he can make plays by himself on a regular basis. Eli is a traditional NFL pocket passer and thus requires protection. If the Giants did not realize this, then who is the dummy here? It is the Giants, specifically Jerry Reese, who has saddled Eli with a lousy offensive line that actually started in 2011 and has continued unabated.

Give Eli decent protection and he will move the team and put up points. But he cannot perform under the current circumstances...I'm not sure, frankly, anyone could. This is an indictment of the entire front office and offensive coaching staff IMHO. They have failed and they put their faith in the wrong person(s)...namely Flowers and Hart.



You're not wrong about what he is today, but why can't you acknowledge that Eli is simply not the same quarterback he was two years ago? Nobody could perform under the current circumstances? Really, that is a crock! Put Stafford on the Giants last night, and they win that game. Eli is done. Face it, man.


Oh really? Matthew Stafford would have one last night getting sacked 5 times and pressured constantly?

How did Aaron Rodgers, Mr. All World incredible, do the other night when his O-line was performing poorly?
But yeah....  
Britt in VA : 9/19/2017 11:24 am : link
ignore what all the experts say about no quarterback being able to perform behind this O-line.

It's Eli. Yep.
Stafford's a bad example because he's a lot more mobile  
jcn56 : 9/19/2017 11:27 am : link
He was under pressure constantly but it worked to his advantage, they ended up losing contain and he ran for large chunks at a time.

Same with Rodgers, and even he goes to hell when he's constantly got no time.
Jesus that hit.  
IIT : 9/19/2017 11:36 am : link
And yeah, can you call that a pocket?

thanks for the memories Eli.
RE: RE: RE: Only an idiot, yes that means you Jerry, would  
Mark C : 9/19/2017 2:01 pm : link
In comment 13606419 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
In comment 13606412 Mark C said:


Quote:


In comment 13605909 Thatís Gold, Jerry said:


Quote:


not recognize what Eli has been and is today. He is a pocket passer with some ability to move inside the pocket but he needs a decent offensive line to be effective.

Eli is not Rodgers where there is the threat of run or he can make plays by himself on a regular basis. Eli is a traditional NFL pocket passer and thus requires protection. If the Giants did not realize this, then who is the dummy here? It is the Giants, specifically Jerry Reese, who has saddled Eli with a lousy offensive line that actually started in 2011 and has continued unabated.

Give Eli decent protection and he will move the team and put up points. But he cannot perform under the current circumstances...I'm not sure, frankly, anyone could. This is an indictment of the entire front office and offensive coaching staff IMHO. They have failed and they put their faith in the wrong person(s)...namely Flowers and Hart.



You're not wrong about what he is today, but why can't you acknowledge that Eli is simply not the same quarterback he was two years ago? Nobody could perform under the current circumstances? Really, that is a crock! Put Stafford on the Giants last night, and they win that game. Eli is done. Face it, man.



Oh really? Matthew Stafford would have one last night getting sacked 5 times and pressured constantly?

How did Aaron Rodgers, Mr. All World incredible, do the other night when his O-line was performing poorly?


Uh, Aaron Rodgers put up 23 points and gave his team a chance to win in the second half, that's how he did. And was his OL any more than marginally better than this one? Even marginally is debatable.

There's one huge difference between Rodgers and Eli, which simply wasn't the case for most of their careers: Eli is playing scared.
He should be f-cking scared!  
Britt in VA : 9/19/2017 2:03 pm : link
!
Link - ( New Window )
.  
Britt in VA : 9/19/2017 2:05 pm : link
.
Link - ( New Window )
Eli absolutely didn't play scared last night.  
Devon : 9/19/2017 2:07 pm : link
Kill him for the INT and the delay of game (though it ultimately saved McAdoo from his own stupidity), even for taking a coverage sack when he was trying to make a play happen down field, but claiming that really isn't fair, given how he hung in there and took a couple truly brutal hits for nothing.
Back to the Corner