Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Stephen A. Smith on Sportscenter: Reese Will Be Gone

burtmanjack : 10/9/2017 12:40 am
Pointed out his utter failure for years to rebuild OL and his horrid draft record.

Said TC took the fall first, and Reese has demonstrated since that he is a huge part of the problem.

Said it is said, but that Reese has plenty of opportunities to turn things around, but has not, and should and will pay with his job.

My reaction? Hallelujah.



Reese obviously has to go and will go  
Vanzetti : 10/9/2017 12:46 am : link
But I don't think he has as much control as people believe. Not signing an OL was an organizational decision.

Next GM has to have autonomy. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Mara has the capability of doing that.
RE: Reese obviously has to go and will go  
j_rud : 10/9/2017 12:49 am : link
In comment 13638296 Vanzetti said:
Quote:
But I don't think he has as much control as people believe. Not signing an OL was an organizational decision


And you know this...how, exactly?
Reese is going no where  
Rflairr : 10/9/2017 12:57 am : link
Nor should he
Reese has to go for sure,  
prdave73 : 10/9/2017 12:57 am : link
but I really think imo Mcadoo has to be fired as well without a doubt.
It's time to clean the slate.  
larryflower37 : 10/9/2017 1:00 am : link
Hire a new GM and allow him to rebuild the staff.
Here is the good and bad with the Giants.  
robbieballs2003 : 10/9/2017 1:02 am : link
The good is that it has been mentioned numerous times that this is a collaborative effort when it comes to adding players. That is good to have your coaching staff and management on the same page.

Here is the negative: who is really making these decisions if it is a shared opinion?

Imo, this is a much bigger problem than Reese. I do think McAdoo needs to go. I have seen enough of him. But Reese? Is he really the problem?

I say this because I think we have a huge issue in our scouting departmemt. The game has evolved and we still believe in bigger LBs over speedier LBs. We still prefer slower OL like Flowers and Hart. Are we valuing the wrong traits in players and, if so, how much does that influence how we rank these players? Does Reese have control over that? Does he have control over the philosophy of this organization?

I ask because this seems much more rooted into this organization than just Reese. Therefore, removing Reese may not do anything positive and could actually lead to a worse outcome. For the longest time we couldn't evaluate WRs for shit. That eventually changed but now we cannot evaluate OL. Will that change with a new GM or are we still getting all of our information from the same scouts and the same coaching staff that thinks Flowers is a LT?
RE: Reese is going no where  
HomerJones45 : 10/9/2017 1:09 am : link
In comment 13638303 Rflairr said:
Quote:
Nor should he
you and Mrs Reese are the only people left still defending him
RE: Here is the good and bad with the Giants.  
burtmanjack : 10/9/2017 1:11 am : link
In comment 13638307 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
The good is that it has been mentioned numerous times that this is a collaborative effort when it comes to adding players. That is good to have your coaching staff and management on the same page.

Here is the negative: who is really making these decisions if it is a shared opinion?

Imo, this is a much bigger problem than Reese. I do think McAdoo needs to go. I have seen enough of him. But Reese? Is he really the problem?

I say this because I think we have a huge issue in our scouting departmemt. The game has evolved and we still believe in bigger LBs over speedier LBs. We still prefer slower OL like Flowers and Hart. Are we valuing the wrong traits in players and, if so, how much does that influence how we rank these players? Does Reese have control over that? Does he have control over the philosophy of this organization?

I ask because this seems much more rooted into this organization than just Reese. Therefore, removing Reese may not do anything positive and could actually lead to a worse outcome. For the longest time we couldn't evaluate WRs for shit. That eventually changed but now we cannot evaluate OL. Will that change with a new GM or are we still getting all of our information from the same scouts and the same coaching staff that thinks Flowers is a LT?


This is Reese's scouting staff -- he chose Ross (puke -- every team with a GM opening uses him to comply with the Rooney rule and then promptly passes) as well as the scouting staff.

Reese will be gone, and Ross will be right behind him.

The new GM will have his own team, and maybe then the Giants will have a draft board worth the velcro it contains.
RE: RE: Here is the good and bad with the Giants.  
robbieballs2003 : 10/9/2017 1:15 am : link
In comment 13638311 burtmanjack said:
Quote:
In comment 13638307 robbieballs2003 said:


Quote:


The good is that it has been mentioned numerous times that this is a collaborative effort when it comes to adding players. That is good to have your coaching staff and management on the same page.

Here is the negative: who is really making these decisions if it is a shared opinion?

Imo, this is a much bigger problem than Reese. I do think McAdoo needs to go. I have seen enough of him. But Reese? Is he really the problem?

I say this because I think we have a huge issue in our scouting departmemt. The game has evolved and we still believe in bigger LBs over speedier LBs. We still prefer slower OL like Flowers and Hart. Are we valuing the wrong traits in players and, if so, how much does that influence how we rank these players? Does Reese have control over that? Does he have control over the philosophy of this organization?

I ask because this seems much more rooted into this organization than just Reese. Therefore, removing Reese may not do anything positive and could actually lead to a worse outcome. For the longest time we couldn't evaluate WRs for shit. That eventually changed but now we cannot evaluate OL. Will that change with a new GM or are we still getting all of our information from the same scouts and the same coaching staff that thinks Flowers is a LT?



This is Reese's scouting staff -- he chose Ross (puke -- every team with a GM opening uses him to comply with the Rooney rule and then promptly passes) as well as the scouting staff.

Reese will be gone, and Ross will be right behind him.

The new GM will have his own team, and maybe then the Giants will have a draft board worth the velcro it contains.


I really don't think it works that way and definitely not with the Giants. Just because there aren't the results you need doesn't mean people need to lose their jobs. You just need to be able to be honest with yourself and adapt. These scouts work their asses off. The poor results don't mean they aren't good at what they do. The issue may be that we are putting too much emphasis on certain aspects and not enough to others. I would be SHOCKED if the Giants fired their scouts.
RE: RE: RE: Here is the good and bad with the Giants.  
burtmanjack : 10/9/2017 1:32 am : link
In comment 13638314 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
In comment 13638311 burtmanjack said:


Quote:


In comment 13638307 robbieballs2003 said:


Quote:


The good is that it has been mentioned numerous times that this is a collaborative effort when it comes to adding players. That is good to have your coaching staff and management on the same page.

Here is the negative: who is really making these decisions if it is a shared opinion?

Imo, this is a much bigger problem than Reese. I do think McAdoo needs to go. I have seen enough of him. But Reese? Is he really the problem?

I say this because I think we have a huge issue in our scouting departmemt. The game has evolved and we still believe in bigger LBs over speedier LBs. We still prefer slower OL like Flowers and Hart. Are we valuing the wrong traits in players and, if so, how much does that influence how we rank these players? Does Reese have control over that? Does he have control over the philosophy of this organization?

I ask because this seems much more rooted into this organization than just Reese. Therefore, removing Reese may not do anything positive and could actually lead to a worse outcome. For the longest time we couldn't evaluate WRs for shit. That eventually changed but now we cannot evaluate OL. Will that change with a new GM or are we still getting all of our information from the same scouts and the same coaching staff that thinks Flowers is a LT?



This is Reese's scouting staff -- he chose Ross (puke -- every team with a GM opening uses him to comply with the Rooney rule and then promptly passes) as well as the scouting staff.

Reese will be gone, and Ross will be right behind him.

The new GM will have his own team, and maybe then the Giants will have a draft board worth the velcro it contains.



I really don't think it works that way and definitely not with the Giants. Just because there aren't the results you need doesn't mean people need to lose their jobs. You just need to be able to be honest with yourself and adapt. These scouts work their asses off. The poor results don't mean they aren't good at what they do. The issue may be that we are putting too much emphasis on certain aspects and not enough to others. I would be SHOCKED if the Giants fired their scouts.


Dude, the Giants forced out several scouts when TC was removed and Reese and Ross were told they were on thin ice.

It's never nice when someone loses a job, but it is a big-boy world out there, and results matter.
If I had a vote I would vote for change across the board!  
wgenesis123 : 10/9/2017 2:27 am : link
Mara has the vote, the only vote that matters. I can't say it won't happen but I have a really hard time seeing Mara fire someone like Reese. Reese has been around for 20 years and I have a real hard time seeing Mara fire someone like that. Coughlin was close, but he wasn't quite that deep rooted in the organization or as loyal. Coughlin had left once before to go to Boston College and than went to Jacksonville. I believe Mara places a premium value on that loyalty. This is what I believe, not what I know. Who really knows besides Mara?
Sounds nice  
santacruzom : 10/9/2017 2:30 am : link
But counterpoint: what the fuck does he know?
Hire John Dorsey  
Mike in NY : 10/9/2017 5:47 am : link
Let him decide who will coach the team going forward
Rflairr  
XBRONX : 10/9/2017 6:03 am : link
You need glasses or something
Reese has a lifetime job as gm  
micky : 10/9/2017 6:08 am : link
he's not going anywhere..period
RE: Reese is going no where  
The_Boss : 10/9/2017 7:04 am : link
In comment 13638303 Rflairr said:
Quote:
Nor should he


Nor should he?

Have you been watching the same product over the last 6 years?
Well if Stephen A. said it,  
Tittle 9 20 64 : 10/9/2017 7:08 am : link
plan on Reese being around for awhile!
It is not just the firing of Reese that needs to happen...  
EricJ : 10/9/2017 7:20 am : link
Chris Mara is just as much of a problem. Then there is John Mara adding in his two cents. They are partly to blame for the personnel and my guess is that is why the hammer did not fall on Reese when they fired TC.

Slowly this has started to migrate back in the direction (not completely there yet) of what was happening in the 70s when the Mara's had too much control over the personnel. It is a problem.
Isn't it the 70s though?  
FStubbs : 10/9/2017 7:28 am : link
5 of the last 6 seasons ended with no playoffs, including 2 starts of 0-5 or worse.

Since 2011 what's the difference?

Reese has to go, but the fear is that Reese was never the true GM and just a public face for Chris Mara.
The inability to build  
rocco8112 : 10/9/2017 7:30 am : link
a consistently competitive roster around a franchise QB that is based in a sound football philosophy falls on the shoulders of the GM.

He should have been canned when the Giants decided to makes changes after 2015. He should be fired after this season.

It is not only about draft picks, the GM's job is to build a winning roster, not just for one season, but that lasts multiple seasons. The hardest part of doing this is finding a QB and a coach, I believe Reese had both with TC and Eli and he and the front office failed. In 2015 ownership believed TC was the problem and fired him, kept Reese and promoted the OC.

How is that working out? It is long past time for Reese to go.
How about Theo Reddick?  
Rjanyg : 10/9/2017 8:03 am : link
Dude seems pretty bright. But I guess all the talking heads know everything
Stephen A is horrible why would anyone listen to him..  
chuckydee9 : 10/9/2017 8:03 am : link
I'd rather listen to the nuts on BBI instead.. At least there are funny posts once in a while..
well  
giantfan2000 : 10/9/2017 8:22 am : link
Reese may be gone here
but he will get a GM job with some other team
Why in..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 10/9/2017 8:24 am : link
the fuck does this keep getting posted?

Quote:
Reese has a lifetime job as gm
micky : 6:08 am : link : reply
he's not going anywhere..period


Nobody has a lifetime job. And actually, some of the idiots who post this said the same thing about TC.
RE: How about Theo Reddick?  
Sammo85 : 10/9/2017 8:27 am : link
In comment 13638392 Rjanyg said:
Quote:
Dude seems pretty bright. But I guess all the talking heads know everything


Theo Riddick plays RB for the Lions.

Louis Riddick is an ESPN analyst and was a front office scout and management guy for a few teams.

If we go new GM, it will be a guy who has some recent resume with a team and some backing from others.
RE: RE: Reese is going no where  
Dave in Hoboken : 10/9/2017 8:27 am : link
In comment 13638352 The_Boss said:
Quote:
In comment 13638303 Rflairr said:


Quote:


Nor should he



Nor should he?

Have you been watching the same product over the last 6 years?


That's Jerry Reese himself. He doesn't think 6 years is a long enough time period to build a decent OLine.

Most delusional poster on here by far.
That means he's staying  
BigBlue4You09 : 10/9/2017 8:41 am : link
.
RE: well  
chuckydee9 : 10/9/2017 8:57 am : link
In comment 13638424 giantfan2000 said:
Quote:
Reese may be gone here
but he will get a GM job with some other team


Ok.. so what? I doubt Giant fans want him to be jobless for the rest of his life.. We just don't want him here..
How is it that the Eagles are always competitive?  
Simms11 : 10/9/2017 9:30 am : link
I know they havenít done shit in the playoffs, especially under Reid. But it seems they are always in the hunt year after year?! Is it the GM, they always seem to have players that can make your life miserable. Doug Pederson is no super coach, but has the right personnel and scheme. Schwartz is a very good DC, but itís the talent he has that makes his job easier. No coach in this league could put a winning team together without the right pieces and so where does that issue lie? Hopefully ownership is asking themselves that question and take their blinders off!
The Eagles..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 10/9/2017 9:40 am : link
just two years ago fired a coach and then flamed out last year after a hot start.

Couple that with their empty trophy case and any talk about using them as a model to follow seems really short-sighted and pretty fucking stupid.
RE: well  
Fishmanjim57 : 10/9/2017 9:55 am : link
In comment 13638424 giantfan2000 said:
Quote:
Reese may be gone here
but he will get a GM job with some other team

Let him go to the Eagles.....so he can f**k them up like he's done to the Giants!
If Reese goes and all our Scouts stay  
NYG007 : 10/9/2017 9:56 am : link
='s same losers in our talent evaluating department.

We need a clean sweep, period. Coaching staff included. The Cowboys get sacks out of the scheme with you and I playing. Yet we get none with OV, Snacks, JPP?? Come on man, enough, replace THEM ALL.
Get rid of everyone.  
mikeinbloomfield : 10/9/2017 10:04 am : link
The Giants can't draft, can't develop the players they do draft, and can't stay healthy. Give everyone down to the ticket takers the boot and hire any bright young minds that want to come here from organizations like KC, Philly, or even Atlanta and rebuild. Delaying it only puts success farther away.
RE: The Eagles..  
Simms11 : 10/9/2017 10:05 am : link
In comment 13638603 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
just two years ago fired a coach and then flamed out last year after a hot start.

Couple that with their empty trophy case and any talk about using them as a model to follow seems really short-sighted and pretty fucking stupid.


The head coach they fired had two out of three winning seasons (10-6). Reid had 11 out of 14 winning seasons. I think thatís pretty damn positive results. Was it coaching or personnel or both? Iíd say theyíve been consistently competitive and yea, I know they didnít win a Super Bowl, but that wasnít the point.

Better model would be the Patriots, but there are two HoF constants there, Belichek and Brady.

Regardless, itís just my impression, you donít have to like it or chastise someone for their opinion.
this is just a theory or an opinion  
djm : 10/9/2017 10:12 am : link
but I don't think Reese makes all these personnel moves on his own or within a vacuum. I think Reese works with the owners, but more I think he works with the coaching staff. I have a hard time believing that Reese ignored the staff or ownership all off-season if they were calling for OL reinforcements. Think about how this franchise has been run or operated over the last 15-10 years. Remember back in the early 2000s? Everyone here hated Accorsi because he too ignored the OL. Coughlin comes in and suddenly the OL is ignored no more.

The coach has plenty of input in my view. I am not sure if McAdoo insisted on certain players or what he wanted but I do think this offense is very much McAdoo's baby. If Ben wanted OL help, I think he would have gotten some. That's just my guess, who the hell knows how shit truly works here. But based on history? The GM listens to the HC. Don't tell me guys like Kareem McKenzie and Chris Snee were Ernie's guys. Those two were likely hand picked by Coughlin.

McAdoo is not a team builder as of yet. HE may never be. I don't like that kind of HC. He seems to have little foresight and I don't see him as a team architect and if you can't build a team you're going to struggle in the end.
PS  
djm : 10/9/2017 10:12 am : link
Stephen A Smith is garbage.
Somewhere  
sinister_bee98 : 10/9/2017 10:38 am : link
Coughlin & Gilbride are smiling.
RE: Somewhere  
jcn56 : 10/9/2017 10:39 am : link
In comment 13638773 sinister_bee98 said:
Quote:
Coughlin & Gilbride are smiling.


Your sources tell you that, right? Or is the smiling imminent?
Who with any  
LS : 10/9/2017 10:59 am : link
common sense gives a shit what he thinks?
In retrospect,  
Since1965 : 10/9/2017 11:03 am : link
they should have moved Coughlin to the GM role and fired Reese.
RE: RE: The Eagles..  
santacruzom : 10/9/2017 11:57 am : link
In comment 13638668 Simms11 said:
Quote:
In comment 13638603 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


just two years ago fired a coach and then flamed out last year after a hot start.

Couple that with their empty trophy case and any talk about using them as a model to follow seems really short-sighted and pretty fucking stupid.



The head coach they fired had two out of three winning seasons (10-6).


Well not only that, but the fact that they fired him in the first place is at least somewhat positive. It seems as though it was clear to the franchise that the team was trending downward during his third season despite the fact that he was 10-6 his first two.

Would the Giants be able to look past the previous two successful seasons to can a third year coach who they feel is trending downward, especially when that third year isn't even all that disastrous record-wise? I dunno, but I doubt it.
Back to the Corner