Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Knicks Chat: Frank impressing with his IQ

DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 9:29 am
"Frank Ntilikina spent Friday night on his own, resting his sore right knee. But the Knicks rookie guard didn’t treat it like a night off, a chance to go out on the town in his new city.

Ntilikina not only sat on his couch and watched the Knicks face the Wizards in Washington, but also he picked up a few things. He noticed the Knicks had added a few plays he was unfamiliar with, and later asked the coaching staff about them.

“Not many guys will notice that,” coach Jeff Hornacek said.

It was just the latest example of how much the 6-foot-5 rookie from France is impressing his new team, even when he’s not on the court.

The hope is Ntilikina, the eighth pick in June’s draft, will return to practice in the next few days and get on the court for the preseason finale Friday against the Wizards at the Garden."

In truth I'm not all that impressed he didn't use it as a chance go to out on the town. He can't even legally drink and he SHOULD be watching games but good to see he's seeing things without having to be force fed.
Link - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: Thomas? wow  
BigBlueShock : 10/11/2017 11:36 am : link
In comment 13642671 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
…it’s worth noting that teams have expressed interest in [Kyle] O’Quinn and [Lance] Thomas in the weeks leading up to the preseason, per league sources.-Berger

Jeezus, what are they waiting for? I'll drive Thomas to the airport
RE: unless those teams are offering Ryan Anderson..  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 11:37 am : link
In comment 13642678 Italianju said:
Quote:
type deals for Thomas then ill drive him to whoever wants him.


Watch it will be another center. I'd give Lance Thomas away (just don't take back a worse deal). I wouldn't "give away" KOQ but I'd obviously deal him if the right deal came along.
Knicks should NOT  
brunswick : 10/11/2017 11:38 am : link
deal KOQ now...only player on this team that adds a defensive presence.

I can't see this team winning more than 23-25 games. This team is not athletic, has no toughness, etc...other than that they might be fine. LONG LONG YEAR
RE: Knicks should NOT  
Greg from LI : 10/11/2017 11:42 am : link
In comment 13642685 brunswick said:
Quote:
I can't see this team winning more than 23-25 games.


Why on earth would I want them to?

RE: The  
Sgrcts : 10/11/2017 11:44 am : link
In comment 13642679 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
Knicks allowed the Rockets to shoot 48% from 3, 54% from the field. 22 3 pointers!! That's an embarrassment and yes that's about effort. Oh, but the Rockets are contenders...but

The Nets... 42% from 3, 50% from the field



Dan you're better then this. Its a few games into the preseason, and we're SUPPOSED to be bad this year. Knicks are finally doing the right thing and you're killing them? You know more about basketball then that. How has that Wolves defense been the last few years, even with Thibs?

I like the Burke signing- he's been bad in the NBA, but he's only 24 and a former top 10 pick. Knicks should absolutely be giving anyone under 25 a look who is on the scrap heap. Those guys do turn into contributors sometimes, might as well take the chance to see if it can be here.
Flounder for Porter!  
Greg from LI : 10/11/2017 11:46 am : link
60+ losses or bust
RE: Knicks should NOT  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 11:46 am : link
In comment 13642685 brunswick said:
Quote:
deal KOQ now...only player on this team that adds a defensive presence.

I can't see this team winning more than 23-25 games. This team is not athletic, has no toughness, etc...other than that they might be fine. LONG LONG YEAR


He's a FA after the year. If they get a multi-year piece or pick you move him. You aren't giving Kyle O'Quinn a significant contract to backup KP and the league just gave the corpse of Nick Collison 2 years 20, Christiano Feliciano 4 years 32 million and Taj Gibson 2 years 28...
RE: RE: The  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 11:48 am : link
In comment 13642692 Sgrcts said:
Quote:
In comment 13642679 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


Knicks allowed the Rockets to shoot 48% from 3, 54% from the field. 22 3 pointers!! That's an embarrassment and yes that's about effort. Oh, but the Rockets are contenders...but

The Nets... 42% from 3, 50% from the field




Dan you're better then this. Its a few games into the preseason, and we're SUPPOSED to be bad this year. Knicks are finally doing the right thing and you're killing them? You know more about basketball then that. How has that Wolves defense been the last few years, even with Thibs?

I like the Burke signing- he's been bad in the NBA, but he's only 24 and a former top 10 pick. Knicks should absolutely be giving anyone under 25 a look who is on the scrap heap. Those guys do turn into contributors sometimes, might as well take the chance to see if it can be here.


What? I can't blast the defensive EFFORT being put forward? The Nets have an awful lineup/talent as well. Why aren't they being embarrassed by the Knicks? Why aren't they giving up 110+ per night? The Knicks effort has been bad enough that the MSG talking heads (homers) have trashed them.
RE: Flounder for Porter!  
Sgrcts : 10/11/2017 11:48 am : link
In comment 13642694 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
60+ losses or bust


I'm going with

#bekakaforluka
#loseinthefirstquarterforporter
#winstarvinformarvin
They  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 11:50 am : link
could go 0-82 and I'd be 100% fine with it but to imply the defense/defensive effort is "because it's pre-season" or to talk up the new identity being defense and then have the off-season you and the the pre-season they are having (effort wise) comes off as really silly. If you want to say the "defense/effort" mantra is just BS talk from a GM/president then so be it. THjr being talked up on BBI as a "plus" defender? Yeah okay. He looks better with the ball in his hands, more creative and hopefully he can be a help but I've seen Kanter's defense "defended" on here and THjr talked up. The defense and defense effort is pathetic.
KOQ  
brunswick : 10/11/2017 11:51 am : link
what type of offers are you getting for him now...not much. I never said not to deal him...you absolutely deal him down the road but he needs to play decent minutes now. Noone is giving you anything for O'Quinn right now.
RE: RE: RE: The  
Sgrcts : 10/11/2017 11:52 am : link
In comment 13642698 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
In comment 13642692 Sgrcts said:


Quote:


In comment 13642679 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


Knicks allowed the Rockets to shoot 48% from 3, 54% from the field. 22 3 pointers!! That's an embarrassment and yes that's about effort. Oh, but the Rockets are contenders...but

The Nets... 42% from 3, 50% from the field




Dan you're better then this. Its a few games into the preseason, and we're SUPPOSED to be bad this year. Knicks are finally doing the right thing and you're killing them? You know more about basketball then that. How has that Wolves defense been the last few years, even with Thibs?

I like the Burke signing- he's been bad in the NBA, but he's only 24 and a former top 10 pick. Knicks should absolutely be giving anyone under 25 a look who is on the scrap heap. Those guys do turn into contributors sometimes, might as well take the chance to see if it can be here.



What? I can't blast the defensive EFFORT being put forward? The Nets have an awful lineup/talent as well. Why aren't they being embarrassed by the Knicks? Why aren't they giving up 110+ per night? The Knicks effort has been bad enough that the MSG talking heads (homers) have trashed them.


I mean sure, but in the preseason when we're playing 11 guys, none of whom are KP, Frank or Wily, who cares? That's worth multiple posts to complain about?

We ALL have been waiting years for the Knicks to do what they're doing now. Lets give it some time and see what happens. Can we even get one season of just being awful and letting the kids learn, an offseason with another high draft pick and a new coaching staff(hopefully) and see what happens?
Again  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 11:54 am : link
Jeff Hornacek was having trouble coaching defense in Phoenix so he brought in Longabardi as a "defensive coordinator" of sorts. Phil hires him, they try for Longabardi knowing Hornacek's "issues" with defense. They can't get him, decide to go without such a coach... defense and defensive effort are embarrassing and they decide Rambis will now fill this role.

No better so they decide Rambis will no longer fill this role and it will be more of a "group" thing. So we get to pre-season and see them allow the Nets to shoot 14/22 in the first quarter and allow the Rockets to nail 22 3's (many of which 100% wide open). It's more than fair to nail the Knicks on defense and what their defensive effort is.
I'm not getting too worked up about it for two reasons  
Greg from LI : 10/11/2017 11:57 am : link
1)Hornacek is just a placeholder. I'm sure Perry will get his own guy in there once someone he likes is available.

2)Most of these horrific defenders will be gone in a year or two.
1.  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 11:58 am : link
KP has played and the MSG talking heads DESTROYED him the other day for their perceived lack of effort on the defensive end

2. Willy not playing last game has 0.0% impact on the Rockets hitting 42% from 3, he played the previous game vs. the Nets where they put in an embarrassing defensive effort. He's played in 3 of the 4 preseason games they allowed 115, 104 and 117. KP has played in 2 games 115 and 117 allowed. I don't think it's very fair to point to KP and Willy "not playing" as a defense for the defense. If anything Willy is a net negative defensively anyway.
RE: Again  
Sgrcts : 10/11/2017 12:01 pm : link
In comment 13642717 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
Jeff Hornacek was having trouble coaching defense in Phoenix so he brought in Longabardi as a "defensive coordinator" of sorts. Phil hires him, they try for Longabardi knowing Hornacek's "issues" with defense. They can't get him, decide to go without such a coach... defense and defensive effort are embarrassing and they decide Rambis will now fill this role.

No better so they decide Rambis will no longer fill this role and it will be more of a "group" thing. So we get to pre-season and see them allow the Nets to shoot 14/22 in the first quarter and allow the Rockets to nail 22 3's (many of which 100% wide open). It's more than fair to nail the Knicks on defense and what their defensive effort is.


To what point though? Who cares what their defense looks like this year? If we go 12-70, end up with our choice of studs in this years draft class and RC Buford as our new HC - will this year be a success or a failure?

I just dont see what the point of getting upset over defense on a tanking team, especially in the preseason.
RE: I'm not getting too worked up about it for two reasons  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:04 pm : link
In comment 13642722 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
1)Hornacek is just a placeholder. I'm sure Perry will get his own guy in there once someone he likes is available.

2)Most of these horrific defenders will be gone in a year or two.


Greg,
That's more than fine but you can still point out poor effort when you see it. Hornacek is lost. I'd be "stunned" if he's back next year. He went 101-112 in Phoenix and THAT is what people point to as proof he's a good coach? He won 48 games his first year, props for that but plenty of crappy NBA HC's have had a surprisingly good season before. Mike Woodson had 2 50 win seasons, does anybody want him back next year? Bernie Bickerstaff won 47 one season in Seattle, I sure as hell don't want him as our HC.
It's gonna be a loooooong season on BBI  
BigBlueShock : 10/11/2017 12:05 pm : link
during Knicks season. Dans already flipping out about the defense, almost obsessively so, and it's not going to get any better. Season hasn't even started yet and people are losing their minds.

For your own health, for everyone it would be wise to not get so caught up in this teams performance. They are going to be dreadful. Specifically on the defensive end. I'm not sure getting crazy about it is worth it. But if you want to spend the next 6 months freaking out, have at it...
RE: RE: Again  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:07 pm : link
In comment 13642730 Sgrcts said:
Quote:
In comment 13642717 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


Jeff Hornacek was having trouble coaching defense in Phoenix so he brought in Longabardi as a "defensive coordinator" of sorts. Phil hires him, they try for Longabardi knowing Hornacek's "issues" with defense. They can't get him, decide to go without such a coach... defense and defensive effort are embarrassing and they decide Rambis will now fill this role.

No better so they decide Rambis will no longer fill this role and it will be more of a "group" thing. So we get to pre-season and see them allow the Nets to shoot 14/22 in the first quarter and allow the Rockets to nail 22 3's (many of which 100% wide open). It's more than fair to nail the Knicks on defense and what their defensive effort is.



To what point though? Who cares what their defense looks like this year? If we go 12-70, end up with our choice of studs in this years draft class and RC Buford as our new HC - will this year be a success or a failure?

I just dont see what the point of getting upset over defense on a tanking team, especially in the preseason.


It's valid to point out where a roster isn't even putting in effort for the HC. RC Buford? No I wouldn't particularly want him as Knicks HC. I don't think he's coached at any level in over 20 years. That would be a bizarre hire as coach.
RE: It's gonna be a loooooong season on BBI  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:08 pm : link
In comment 13642741 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
during Knicks season. Dans already flipping out about the defense, almost obsessively so, and it's not going to get any better. Season hasn't even started yet and people are losing their minds.

For your own health, for everyone it would be wise to not get so caught up in this teams performance. They are going to be dreadful. Specifically on the defensive end. I'm not sure getting crazy about it is worth it. But if you want to spend the next 6 months freaking out, have at it...


Not flipping out at all. Popper said the effort wasn't there. djm makes it sound like it's just because it's pre-season I find that to be absurd. They can lose every single game, I don't care.
And  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:09 pm : link
yeah I think Hornacek is awful and being "mad" at D'Antoni was embarrassing. If the Knicks were a great team and the show was on the other foot everyone would be calling MDA a "pussy" etc.
.  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:12 pm : link
Ian Begley‏ @IanBegley 8m8 minutes ago
More
Mindaugas Kuzminskas says he will likely return on Friday. He's missed the preseason with a calf injury.
3 replies 5 retweets 15 likes
Reply 3 Retweet 5 Like 15 Direct message
Ian Begley‏ @IanBegley 17m17 minutes ago
More
Kristaps Porzingis says he hopes to play Friday but his status is still unclear. His hip feels better.
Sorry brainfart  
Sgrcts : 10/11/2017 12:12 pm : link
I meant Messina or Hammonds. Agreed anyone but Hornacek.

I don't know if I agree that you "dont care", since you've posted a ton about the Knicks defensive efforts but to each their own. I actually truly dont care so if you want to let your blood pressure rise over Knicks losing by 20, have at it! In the meantime, I'm all in for #loseinthefirstquarterforporter
All  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:16 pm : link
of the writers seem to think Burke is indeed headed to the Gleague. Really wonder if that means they will dump Jack. Why would Burke choose the Knicks to be the 5th PG this late in camp otherwise?
RE: All  
Sgrcts : 10/11/2017 12:20 pm : link
In comment 13642767 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
of the writers seem to think Burke is indeed headed to the Gleague. Really wonder if that means they will dump Jack. Why would Burke choose the Knicks to be the 5th PG this late in camp otherwise?


Would love Jack to stay on as a development coach if he doesn't get a look elsewhere.
This  
Sgrcts : 10/11/2017 12:23 pm : link
SI article claims Budenholzer is on the hot seat. He'd be beyond incredible hire for this team, if he was so inclined to come to the situation.
Coaches on hot seat - ( New Window )
RE: This  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:27 pm : link
In comment 13642779 Sgrcts said:
Quote:
SI article claims Budenholzer is on the hot seat. He'd be beyond incredible hire for this team, if he was so inclined to come to the situation. Coaches on hot seat - ( New Window )


No brainer. #1 realistic HC on my wish list. Really doubt it happens. He likely wants more say than he would have here.
I haven't been watching the preseason games,  
Ira : 10/11/2017 12:31 pm : link
but speaking about defense and Dotson, how has Dotson looked on the defensive end.
RE: I haven't been watching the preseason games,  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:34 pm : link
In comment 13642800 Ira said:
Quote:
but speaking about defense and Dotson, how has Dotson looked on the defensive end.


Honestly? Non-descript but he's long and looks the part of a potential good defender. He hasn't particularly "stood out" in pre-season defensively but I think that would be kind of hard to do anyway.
RE: RE: It's gonna be a loooooong season on BBI  
djm : 10/11/2017 12:41 pm : link
In comment 13642746 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
In comment 13642741 BigBlueShock said:


Quote:


during Knicks season. Dans already flipping out about the defense, almost obsessively so, and it's not going to get any better. Season hasn't even started yet and people are losing their minds.

For your own health, for everyone it would be wise to not get so caught up in this teams performance. They are going to be dreadful. Specifically on the defensive end. I'm not sure getting crazy about it is worth it. But if you want to spend the next 6 months freaking out, have at it...



Not flipping out at all. Popper said the effort wasn't there. djm makes it sound like it's just because it's pre-season I find that to be absurd. They can lose every single game, I don't care.


my point wasn't that it was only preseason, that's part of it, but it's just an overstated, premature, and somewhat obvious article that doesn't deserve the credit you gave it. Wow the Knicks D sucks...no shit. OK the Knicks traded Melo for defensively challenged players. That doesn't mean the Knicks franchise isn't committed to D over the long haul. It's not like the Knicks had ample chances to sign a 28 year old Dennis Rodman and Patrick Ewing in the offseason to shore up that bad D.

Whatever, yes the KNicks D sucks and will suck. We know that. The article isn't worth shit.
I don't even want to shit all over the article  
djm : 10/11/2017 12:44 pm : link
I've read worse....but I just think it's a bit over the top for October. And some of the pts, mainly the Melo trade being some kind of indicator that the KNicks really don't care about D, to be utter crap.

And no layups in preseason isn't really something that happens anymore.
So  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:44 pm : link
it's not valid to point out that Hornacek (the man in charge of developing our younger players) is seemingly having trouble inspiring the players to put in effort? Ok.
RE: I don't even want to shit all over the article  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:45 pm : link
In comment 13642816 djm said:
Quote:
I've read worse....but I just think it's a bit over the top for October. And some of the pts, mainly the Melo trade being some kind of indicator that the KNicks really don't care about D, to be utter crap.

And no layups in preseason isn't really something that happens anymore.


Again, the Rockets EMBARRASSED the Knicks. Forget layups WIDE open 3's. The Nets 14-22 in the first quarter. THE NETS!!
Wally/Hahn  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:46 pm : link
aren't exactly hypercritical talking heads (quite the opposite) and they were damn near frothing at the mouth how poor the Knicks effort was and they obviously realize it's pre-season as well.
RE: This  
Jay on the Island : 10/11/2017 12:49 pm : link
In comment 13642779 Sgrcts said:
Quote:
SI article claims Budenholzer is on the hot seat. He'd be beyond incredible hire for this team, if he was so inclined to come to the situation. Coaches on hot seat - ( New Window )

That would be a fantastic hire which is why it won't happen.
Defense  
TyreeHelmet : 10/11/2017 12:52 pm : link
I understand losing games in a rebuilding year, but you should at least be trying to establish some semblance of a defensive culture and pride. Their "motto" this offseason was to get younger/ more athletic and better defensively. It's funny because all 3 players they brought in are horrendous defenders.

And if they are going full rebuild- don't go half measures. Move Lee, Kanter and KOQ the first chance you get. Play KP/ Frank/ Dotson/ Willy as much as possible. Take some fliers on young wings and see if you find a diamond in the rough.
Unbelievable  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:53 pm : link
stat. Assuming the Knicks are as bad as we expect this will be the 16th time in 17 seasons they finish below average defensively. KP last season was the 4th best rim deterrent in the league (although Willy was "the worst"). 16/17 seems almost impossible to pull off given the amount of coaches, roster and GM turnover and even sheer "luck". A "meh" talented team can still finish top 15 in defense.
RE: Defense  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 12:55 pm : link
In comment 13642832 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
I understand losing games in a rebuilding year, but you should at least be trying to establish some semblance of a defensive culture and pride. Their "motto" this offseason was to get younger/ more athletic and better defensively. It's funny because all 3 players they brought in are horrendous defenders.

And if they are going full rebuild- don't go half measures. Move Lee, Kanter and KOQ the first chance you get. Play KP/ Frank/ Dotson/ Willy as much as possible. Take some fliers on young wings and see if you find a diamond in the rough.


Well this is the entire basis for my supposed "rant". This shouldn't just be a total throw away of a season developmentally. THjr shouldn't get a pass for defensive effort because "we suck", KP, Willy, Frank etc either. The idea is to use this year to help push forward not "okay but NEXT year we will show them how to put in proper defensive effort"!
the concerns over Horn's defensive teachings  
djm : 10/11/2017 1:09 pm : link
are fair. I'll give you that. Nothing we don't already know but yes, the Knicks D will blow and Horn won't help matters.
RE: All  
Canton : 10/11/2017 1:10 pm : link
In comment 13642767 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
of the writers seem to think Burke is indeed headed to the Gleague. Really wonder if that means they will dump Jack. Why would Burke choose the Knicks to be the 5th PG this late in camp otherwise?


"for an opportunity"... Perry's new mantra
KP  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 1:39 pm : link
and Frank both missed practice today,.
Horny getting it done!!  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 3:59 pm : link
Mike Vorkunov‏
@Mike_Vorkunov
Following Following @Mike_Vorkunov
More
Hornacek wants Knicks to play faster. So far they're 21st in pace this preseason. Faster than Utah, but slower than Maccabi Haifa.
In the time Hornacek's been here  
bceagle05 : 10/11/2017 4:09 pm : link
the only thing we've learned of his coaching philosophy is that he loves to "play fast." That's all he's got. How he plans on doing that with plodders like Frank, Lee, KP, Willy, Kanter and Lance I'm not sure. He's the coach here one more year tops.

I  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 4:21 pm : link
have never coached basketball, I've never even played basketball in a competitive league so I don't claim to be an X's and O's expert but I also can't identify stylistically what the Knicks are trying to accomplish on offense.
Yeah, he doesn't appear to have one.  
bceagle05 : 10/11/2017 4:37 pm : link
I give him credit for making the most of an odd roster situation in Phoenix where he had three good PGs. Why not play fast when you have the horses? But here it's a different story. Other than Hardaway, who is equipped to run and gun? Conversely, there are NO good iso players on this team. We're probably best served dumping it into Kanter and Hernangomez. It's going to be a total mess on both ends of the court, which is fine for the fans who want to tank, but not good for a coach trying to keep his job.
.  
DanMetroMan : 10/11/2017 5:23 pm : link
Forty percent yes, 60 percent no,’’ Porzingis said when asked if he would be back Friday. “[It] depends how I feel [Thursday] with running, shooting. We’ll see. I’m lifting my leg up. It’s getting better from [Tuesday].”

Later in the interview, he tried to be more optimistic.

“I hope to play the last game and be ready for the season,” Porzingis said. “I’m like a lizard. I recover quickly.”
Well he wants to play faster?  
Carl in CT : 10/11/2017 5:30 pm : link
We keep drafting Europeans who are not fast. And pick up others. This is not a team put together to be playing fast. I can't name one position where we are faster than the league average.
RE: Well he wants to play faster?  
BigBlueShock : 10/11/2017 5:33 pm : link
In comment 13643646 Carl in CT said:
Quote:
We keep drafting Europeans who are not fast. And pick up others. This is not a team put together to be playing fast. I can't name one position where we are faster than the league average.

Europeans can't play fast? KP can't play fast? Holy crap...
He said the ones we drafted aren't fast, and he's right.  
bceagle05 : 10/11/2017 5:46 pm : link
KP's a good athlete for his size but he's sucking wind by the second quarter, and Willy isn't exactly fleet of foot. The other Euros on the team happen to be slow too, but it's not a race thing - just happen to have a slow group. Lee? Frank? Lance? They're better served playing Riley/Van Gundy bully ball.
RE: Well he wants to play faster?  
Ten Ton Hammer : 10/11/2017 7:38 pm : link
In comment 13643646 Carl in CT said:
Quote:
We keep drafting Europeans who are not fast. And pick up others. This is not a team put together to be playing fast. I can't name one position where we are faster than the league average.


What's the league average fast at each position?
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner