Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

If I'm Mara, I clean house at the bye week-

Sean : 10/12/2017 8:06 am
It's a perfect storm brewing right now. It seems a lot of players have one foot out the door & injuries are mounting.

Imagine Jerry Reese having his annual state of the team press conference at 0-7? That's a disaster. Why not just pull the band aid now, we all know where this is heading. This will allow the players to just play the remainder of the year without this huge cloud over them.

I'd typically say it's outrageous to make a move like this mid-season, but this team will be 0-7. 0-7!

I'd let Spagnuolo coach the rest of the year, maybe he can resurrect his career and develop into a HC prospect again elsewhere. This will give ownership plenty of time to evaluate & determine who the right people are to fix this. No more half measures.
not how the giants do things  
micky : 10/12/2017 8:26 am : link
expecting changes is not likely to happen. Mara likely just thinking all this is an abberation
Sean  
NYBEN1963 : 10/12/2017 8:30 am : link
let me ask you a question...what was your prediction for the season coming in?
Had similar thoughts on Monday.  
Britt in VA : 10/12/2017 8:31 am : link
Quote:
If I was in charge, this is what I would do....
Britt in VA : 10/9/2017 10:49 am
I view Reese as a lame duck, and I think I've seen enough from McAdoo to know he's not the guy. I somewhat feel that McAdoo was dealt a bad hand with our offensive line, and in other years I'd give him another year to find out what I had, but our current circumstance of positioning ourselves for a Top 5 pick (possibly even #1 overall pick) changes things. McAdoo is an offensive coach, and I've now seen enough of his offense to know it's not what I want going forward.

I'd fire Reese and McAdoo heading into the bye, promote Spagnuolo to interim head coach, give the offense completely to Sullivan, and get all my ducks in a row to finding my new coach and GM and having a plan ready for the 1st of January, at which time I'd let the rest of the staff go, allowing as much time as possible to plan and prepare for our Top 5 pick.

I'd invest heavily into the Offensive line during Free Agency and draft. I'd draft a Quarterback with the Top pick and let him sit behind Eli until Eli finishes out his contract or retires, which would be ideal for three reasons. One, it allows the offensive line to be fixed. Two, it allows the new Quarterback a chance to be mentored by one of the most professional quarterbacks in the league, and finally, if we have a new coach it gives the rookie two years to learn the new offense. Remember, Rogers sat during McCarthy's first three years, behind Favre.

I honestly think the right Head Coach/GM combo could turn this around in a single offseason, seen it happen before, and we could groom the future QB of the franchise the right way.


Link - ( New Window )
"Not how the Giants do things"  
Ben in Tampa : 10/12/2017 8:32 am : link
Is not valid in this situation. There is no precedent for an 0-6, 0-7 start in the last 40 years.
RE:  
Britt in VA : 10/12/2017 8:33 am : link
In comment 13645128 Ben in Tampa said:
Quote:
Is not valid in this situation. There is no precedent for an 0-6, 0-7 start in the last 40 years.


We started 0-6 in 2013, didn't we?
Brit, yes you are right  
Ben in Tampa : 10/12/2017 8:37 am : link
Completely forgot about that...
Past performance  
jvm52106 : 10/12/2017 8:37 am : link
is not an indicator as to what will happen here as this season is bordering unprecedented territory.. When is the last time the Giants came into a season looking like a SB contender and after 5 games looked like the worst team and most poorly run organization in the league? I mean we are closing in on Cleveland Brown pathetic territory and based on our season last year and the expectations coming into this season, we really are far worse off..

When you become the laughing stock of the league and it isn't because your talent level is poor but because you play so poorly and seem so discombobulated then sweeping changes MUST happen..

All of this BS about the Mara's this and Mara's that is just projection and opinion, we have no idea what they think right now seeing this disaster.. It isn't like many of us here saw this coming either.. We should have seen the cracks, and some of us (myself included) did see the cracks but none of us saw 0-5 and the complete and utter falling apart we are seeing now.

RE: Brit, yes you are right  
Britt in VA : 10/12/2017 8:38 am : link
In comment 13645131 Ben in Tampa said:
Quote:
Completely forgot about that...


Wish I could. But even after that disastrous start, Coughlin was able to steer the ship to 7 wins. That ain't happening this year.
Britt  
Ben in Tampa : 10/12/2017 8:43 am : link
Yes, it's amazing Coughlin got them to 7-9. I agree with you, that's not happening this year. Coughlin had the respect and effort of the locker room. McAdoo has none of that.

The combination of the expectations, the performance, the injuries, the players quitting on the team and a Head Coach over his depth... this is a very ugly season.
RE: Had similar thoughts on Monday.  
NYBEN1963 : 10/12/2017 8:44 am : link
In comment 13645126 Britt in VA said:
Quote:


Quote:


If I was in charge, this is what I would do....
Britt in VA : 10/9/2017 10:49 am
I view Reese as a lame duck, and I think I've seen enough from McAdoo to know he's not the guy. I somewhat feel that McAdoo was dealt a bad hand with our offensive line, and in other years I'd give him another year to find out what I had, but our current circumstance of positioning ourselves for a Top 5 pick (possibly even #1 overall pick) changes things. McAdoo is an offensive coach, and I've now seen enough of his offense to know it's not what I want going forward.

I'd fire Reese and McAdoo heading into the bye, promote Spagnuolo to interim head coach, give the offense completely to Sullivan, and get all my ducks in a row to finding my new coach and GM and having a plan ready for the 1st of January, at which time I'd let the rest of the staff go, allowing as much time as possible to plan and prepare for our Top 5 pick.

I'd invest heavily into the Offensive line during Free Agency and draft. I'd draft a Quarterback with the Top pick and let him sit behind Eli until Eli finishes out his contract or retires, which would be ideal for three reasons. One, it allows the offensive line to be fixed. Two, it allows the new Quarterback a chance to be mentored by one of the most professional quarterbacks in the league, and finally, if we have a new coach it gives the rookie two years to learn the new offense. Remember, Rogers sat during McCarthy's first three years, behind Favre.

I honestly think the right Head Coach/GM combo could turn this around in a single offseason, seen it happen before, and we could groom the future QB of the franchise the right way.

The Giants haven't fired a GM in almost 40 years and I don't see them doing it now.George you a 2-time superbowl winning GM and is Reese put together some really awful teams and made some of the worst draft picks in the history of the team and he was never fired. Ernie Accorsi took a play off team from 2002 and then fielded the worst offensive line in modern football history in 2003 and was not fired.

Link - ( New Window )
I clearly  
NYBEN1963 : 10/12/2017 8:46 am : link
did that wrong
RE: Britt  
jvm52106 : 10/12/2017 8:47 am : link
In comment 13645139 Ben in Tampa said:
Quote:
Yes, it's amazing Coughlin got them to 7-9. I agree with you, that's not happening this year. Coughlin had the respect and effort of the locker room. McAdoo has none of that.

The combination of the expectations, the performance, the injuries, the players quitting on the team and a Head Coach over his depth... this is a very ugly season.


When the word culture gets thrown about by players that is a bad sign. The fact your coach clearly calls out some players and avoids saying negative things about others is also a bad sign.

I will stand by my belief that Ben McAdoo is and has been in self preservation mode since the end of camp. He calls out Eli and protects the Oline from blame. Why, because his boss gave him the players on the Oline and to call them out calls him out. Eli was Coughlin's guy and Accorsi's guy. Easier to call him out. Blame him for some of the issues with the Oline by saying has to be able to throw with a "dirty pocket", has to get rid of the ball, would have liked to have some of those throws back....

Now injuries and malcontents will be his next big rallying cry..
RE: I clearly  
jvm52106 : 10/12/2017 8:48 am : link
In comment 13645142 NYBEN1963 said:
Quote:
did that wrong


Find last quote and then put your comment in after that.. Enter past the last last quote in the box..
RE: not how the giants do things  
The_Boss : 10/12/2017 8:56 am : link
In comment 13645118 micky said:
Quote:
expecting changes is not likely to happen. Mara likely just thinking all this is an abberation


0-4 wins is not an aberration.
I want no part in JR  
1st and 10 : 10/12/2017 8:59 am : link
Having any day in who stays and who goes. I would rather see a new GM clean house.
RE: not how the giants do things  
LauderdaleMatty : 10/12/2017 9:00 am : link
In comment 13645118 micky said:
Quote:
expecting changes is not likely to happen. Mara likely just thinking all this is an abberation


It's a convenient lie for the team. They don't like to over react. They let their people do this jobs.

Who do you think wanted Gilbride gone. Then Fewell. Then when TC was asked to leave who do you think really wanted McAdoo? Reese deserves to get canned for his stupid philosophy of an unbalanced Roster and how he drafts but ownership has been meddling for a while now.

They should have cleaned house 3 years ago. When you are an abject failure you need to fix the issue. The issue is ownership needs to step back and find better people in both coaching and in the FO.

This is the chicken and he egg situation. Who cares if it's coaching or Reese. It's obviously both. There isn't any one reason they are going to be 2-4 win team. Ownership facilitatedthis mess. They can try and salvage something but they need a better direction and better coaching. Delaying this decision isn't a small discussion but they need to change. Fast
RE: RE: not how the giants do things  
The_Boss : 10/12/2017 9:02 am : link
In comment 13645157 The_Boss said:
Quote:
In comment 13645118 micky said:


Quote:


expecting changes is not likely to happen. Mara likely just thinking all this is an abberation



0-4 wins is not an aberration.


The aberration if you want to be honest was last year’s 11-5.
RE: RE: RE: not how the giants do things  
Victor in CT : 10/12/2017 9:03 am : link
In comment 13645169 The_Boss said:
Quote:
In comment 13645157 The_Boss said:


Quote:


In comment 13645118 micky said:


Quote:


expecting changes is not likely to happen. Mara likely just thinking all this is an abberation



0-4 wins is not an aberration.



The aberration if you want to be honest was last year’s 11-5.


you are SO right
RE: RE:  
Beer Man : 10/12/2017 9:33 am : link
In comment 13645130 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
In comment 13645128 Ben in Tampa said:


Quote:


Is not valid in this situation. There is no precedent for an 0-6, 0-7 start in the last 40 years.



We started 0-6 in 2013, didn't we?
TC didn't let the 2013 implode; the 2017 is a dumpster fire right now.
Bye week  
Sec 103 : 10/12/2017 10:07 am : link
would be a great start. Probably not gonna happen, but it should.
What a disgrace this season has turned into.
Thank God for the Yankees, and to a lesser degree (for now) the Devils!
11-5 last season was an abberation  
JonC : 10/12/2017 10:11 am : link
Expect NYG to stay the course one more season, given Eli's contract and their tendency to not rush to judgement.

Certainly no changes expected before the end of the season.
They will review everything  
spike : 10/12/2017 10:17 am : link
at the end of the season and before the draft
What good  
ryanmkeane : 10/12/2017 10:17 am : link
would it do to clean house and hire new people after 7 weeks?
RE: 11-5 last season was an abberation  
The_Boss : 10/12/2017 10:35 am : link
In comment 13645310 JonC said:
Quote:
Expect NYG to stay the course one more season, given Eli's contract and their tendency to not rush to judgement.

Certainly no changes expected before the end of the season.


Come on Jon. If this group wins 3 games or less and this locker room circus persists throughout, how can status quo be maintained by staying the course?
RE: What good  
Britt in VA : 10/12/2017 10:37 am : link
In comment 13645322 ryanmkeane said:
Quote:
would it do to clean house and hire new people after 7 weeks?


It gets a jump start on the coaching/GM search, so they beat the competition. It also, if they find people before the season ends, gives those people a jump start on building their staff, and preparing for the draft and free agency.
RE: RE: 11-5 last season was an abberation  
JonC : 10/12/2017 10:43 am : link
In comment 13645344 The_Boss said:
Quote:
In comment 13645310 JonC said:


Quote:


Expect NYG to stay the course one more season, given Eli's contract and their tendency to not rush to judgement.

Certainly no changes expected before the end of the season.



Come on Jon. If this group wins 3 games or less and this locker room circus persists throughout, how can status quo be maintained by staying the course?


You'll have to ask Mara, I'm merely pointing out the pattern.
Who are the best  
ryanmkeane : 10/12/2017 10:46 am : link
GM candidates out there? Caserio, DeCosta, anyone else?
It keeps the fan base interested.  
CV36 : 10/12/2017 10:58 am : link
Even if they parted ways with JR at the break it would give people hope. Keep BM until the end of season and the next morning move on. A new GM could be assembling his staff and have a good start on next season.
Remember a couple of years ago, Mara said something like  
lawguy9801 : 10/12/2017 11:24 am : link
this is on Reese, or something similar indicating that Reese's actions had to start producing results?

Obviously, they haven't. Our roster sucks, even before the injuries.

If Mara was serious and doesn't want his team to be a perennial laughingstock, he will clean house.
seems like the Maras would know the owners of the Packers  
idiotsavant : 10/12/2017 11:37 am : link
if that was the call, 'calling someone you know and are comfortable with' (the macadoo hire), that would be a very bad sign.

One needs to rationally analyze who would be the best HC or GM and call cold if need be, This is NY fucking City for gods sake.

The move NOW would be for Mara to cold call the best potential GMs and offer them the dictatorial powers, the keys to the show, and offer sincerely to fall on his sword.

No great GM is going to want to come in to NY right now and share responsibility with him.

Nothing personal at all. But this is where we are at.

We need to hire a great GM, and Mara should contact someone worthy of that respect, and have that respect in his prospective dealings with him.

"Rumor has it that Mara is willing to hand the keys to the Kingdom to the right person, put the word out"





RE: They will review everything  
ArcadeSlumlord : 10/12/2017 11:39 am : link
In comment 13645321 spike said:
Quote:
at the end of the season and before the draft


nah, they need to review it now, yesterday, today, asap. Bye week makes sense.
its sort of a maxim of good recruiting  
idiotsavant : 10/12/2017 11:46 am : link
to hire the person who can replace you.

I Thought I Remembered Reading Somewhere...  
Jim in Tampa : 10/12/2017 11:56 am : link
That Mara thinks it's a big mistake to fire a coach in the middle of the season and he pointed to the problem they had in 1976, when Wellington Mara canned Arnsparger and brought in John McVay.

McVay was only supposed to be an interim HC, but the Giants won a few more games than they thought they would and the players liked playing for McVay and said a lot of positive things about him in the press. At the end of the season Mara felt he owed it to McVay to give him the HC opportunity and thus Mara was not able to pick the BEST candidate.

The same could happen this year if the Giants fired McAdoo and hired the popular Spags. They might feel obligated to Spags if he turned the season around and racked up some wins.

Barring a total team revolt combined with a fan revolt I think McAdoo is safe at least until the end of the year, and I would not be shocked if he was NOT fired at season's end, regardless of the record.

And anyone who thinks the team that hasn't fired a GM since when...the 70s? is going to fire JR at mid-season is going to be disappointed.
RE: RE: What good  
Gatorade Dunk : 10/12/2017 12:05 pm : link
In comment 13645346 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
In comment 13645322 ryanmkeane said:


Quote:


would it do to clean house and hire new people after 7 weeks?



It gets a jump start on the coaching/GM search, so they beat the competition. It also, if they find people before the season ends, gives those people a jump start on building their staff, and preparing for the draft and free agency.

How so? They can't even talk to any of the candidates except for Gettleman and maybe Dorsey (if he's even on the radar) until after the season ends. And anyone who is currently unemployed (including DG and JD) is unemployed for a reason. And even if DG (or JD) is the guy, building his staff won't happen until after the season at best. At most it realistically gives them a ONE DAY head start on the viable candidates.

If you want a pound of flesh because the Giants hurt your fragile feelings with a disappointing season, just own it. But don't act like you've stumbled onto a strategic advantage by cleaning house midseason.
That's not the way the Giants operate unfortunately  
BigBlue4You09 : 10/12/2017 12:13 pm : link
They'll drag their feet in the mud as long as possible
The question I have ...  
Beer Man : 10/12/2017 1:04 pm : link
With all the turmoil on the team right now, why have Reese and Mara been so quiet? Not a word from the front office.
.  
arcarsenal : 10/12/2017 1:07 pm : link
There's really not much advantage to doing it during the bye week - I don't expect the Giants to go that route.

But if this season continues along this path and this winds up a 3-13 team, I'll be pretty angry if no changes are made.
RE: The question I have ...  
arcarsenal : 10/12/2017 1:07 pm : link
In comment 13645663 Beer Man said:
Quote:
With all the turmoil on the team right now, why have Reese and Mara been so quiet? Not a word from the front office.


What exactly do you want them to say?
Why Spags?  
Samiam : 10/12/2017 3:38 pm : link
First, I think this is a dumb conversation. The Giants will not clean house in the middle of the season nor should they. This is fan talk; one hopes that the professional people know alot more than we do and in this post, that's an easy one. The team is coming off an 11 win season and they made the playoffs. You don't clean house just like that. If McAdoo has lost the team, you at least give him a chance to get it back and maybe suspending DRC is the start.

But, lets play along just for the hell of it. Someone mentioned replacing the coach with Spags or Sullivan. Sullivan to me as coach is laughable. We know almost nothing about him as a possible coach; we don't even know how he'd be as a playcaller. Spags on the other hand is a name has experience. I'm of a mind that the biggest problem facing the Giants now is not the OL but the defense. Has the performance of the defense the last few weeks shown that they could make the big play when needed. If they did, the Giants would not be winless. Spags had a good defense last year and I can't believe that losing Hankins is the difference. Spags was given the players with the 3 big contracts and last year Reese was a genius for getting them to sign here; all 3 on the right side of 30 years old. Now, the defense is not tackling and is out of position and Reese has to go but someone is talking up Spags as McAdoo's replacement? Is that a joke?
Changing coaches shouldn't be taken lightly  
Ten Ton Hammer : 10/12/2017 3:43 pm : link
Eli's 37. A new coach means a new offense, and a rebuild year. So does building for Eli's age 39 season seem like it makes sense to anyone?
RE: Changing coaches shouldn't be taken lightly  
an_idol_mind : 10/12/2017 4:19 pm : link
In comment 13645920 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
Eli's 37. A new coach means a new offense, and a rebuild year. So does building for Eli's age 39 season seem like it makes sense to anyone?


If the season goes as badly as people think it will, the Giants aren't building anything for Eli anymore. They'd be drafting a new franchise quarterback and either cutting Eli or keeping him on board for one more year to mentor the new guy.
You wait until after the season  
AcesUp : 10/12/2017 4:26 pm : link
Drastic midseason moves suggest impulsive panic, it's not the right message the leadership of an organization wants to send. Wait until the season is over, then act swiftly and sternly. Have a plan and no half measures.
RE: Changing coaches shouldn't be taken lightly  
Gatorade Dunk : 10/12/2017 4:27 pm : link
In comment 13645920 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
Eli's 37. A new coach means a new offense, and a rebuild year. So does building for Eli's age 39 season seem like it makes sense to anyone?

I don't think the old assumption of a rebuild year is necessarily valid. Look at the Rams, for example. It just depends on the coach and the scheme. If both are a good fit, it doesn't have to be a throwaway year.
Mine was 10-6  
Bluesbreaker : 10/12/2017 6:57 pm : link
Sean
NYBEN1963 : 8:30 am : link : reply
let me ask you a question...what was your prediction for the season coming in?

But I expected they would make some kind of trade during
free agency or after the draft looking at the schedule I
did not have a solid conviction on 10 wins that I thought
would be enough to win the title and that 9-7 might not
get you a wild card !
Back to the Corner