Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

NFT: Salt Lake City tips?

Chris in Philly : 10/12/2017 1:44 pm
Going to SLC next week for a conference. Any good tips for pubs, places to grab some grub, or loose Mormon chicks? I'll be downtown and I won't have a car, but I can Uber wherever if it's worth it...
I'm only a few hours away from SLC...  
Dan in the Springs : 10/12/2017 1:48 pm : link
it's the closest major city to me, so I travel there regularly and know a bit about it. Don't know any loose mormon chicks though - sorry.

There will likely be quite a few recommendations coming your way. I'll start with one:

If you want a great lunch at an affordable price, get to Cafe Zuppa's. Really nice food - several locations.

Where in SLC will you be?
Thanks Dan...  
Chris in Philly : 10/12/2017 1:58 pm : link
I assume I will be near the convention center...
Pack your booze for the week  
B in ALB : 10/12/2017 2:05 pm : link
In your checked luggage.
Culinary wise  
NNJ Tom : 10/12/2017 2:05 pm : link
It has to be the worst large city I've ever traveled to.

Bad Steaks, Bad Italian and bad BBQ. By the end of the week, Joe's Crab Shack was looking good.

Actually, we stayed in a nice hotel "Grand American" or something like that. The dining room was about the best meal we had there.
RE: Culinary wise  
Chris in Philly : 10/12/2017 2:09 pm : link
In comment 13645769 NNJ Tom said:
Quote:
It has to be the worst large city I've ever traveled to.

Bad Steaks, Bad Italian and bad BBQ. By the end of the week, Joe's Crab Shack was looking good.

Actually, we stayed in a nice hotel "Grand American" or something like that. The dining room was about the best meal we had there.


Now I'm pumped...
The Hotel had a good bar  
NNJ Tom : 10/12/2017 2:13 pm : link
I remember watching a Red Sox World Series game there.
Go to theresnothingtodoinsaltlake.com  
B in ALB : 10/12/2017 2:14 pm : link
It's a good site and will break it all down for you. Bars, dining, music, etc.
Enjoy that 3.2% alcohol beer  
Giantology : 10/12/2017 2:15 pm : link
.
I checked the Hotel  
NNJ Tom : 10/12/2017 2:16 pm : link
It was the Grand America. I must say, it was one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. The rooms were huge and it was relatively cheap.
Lived there for 2 years...  
Oskie : 10/12/2017 2:19 pm : link
Unless your skiing or golfing, don't anticipate having too much fun. BORING!! Boring restaurant and Bar scene and boring people...an absolute drag. Don't bother ordering a double anything, its illegal, and all drinks are measured, exactly. If you go out to eat, make sure its at a bar, otherwise, they won't serve a second drink unless you order your food, and they time you with drinks, something like 2 crappy measured drinks in less than an hour, (or something like that) they will not serve you after that.

My advice would be to stay in Park City (20 mins north of SLC)...only legit place there.
You're better off packing your booze  
B in ALB : 10/12/2017 2:21 pm : link
And flying it to SLC. Then just order room service. Place sucks.
Went to what..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 10/12/2017 2:22 pm : link
I thought would be an awesome brewpub and it turned out all the beers had to be something like 4.2% alcohol or less.

Weird town.
RE: Lived there for 2 years...  
NNJ Tom : 10/12/2017 2:23 pm : link
In comment 13645795 Oskie said:
Quote:
Unless your skiing or golfing, don't anticipate having too much fun. BORING!! Boring restaurant and Bar scene and boring people...an absolute drag. Don't bother ordering a double anything, its illegal, and all drinks are measured, exactly. If you go out to eat, make sure its at a bar, otherwise, they won't serve a second drink unless you order your food, and they time you with drinks, something like 2 crappy measured drinks in less than an hour, (or something like that) they will not serve you after that.

My advice would be to stay in Park City (20 mins north of SLC)...only legit place there.


I forgot about all that stuff. Our Boss ordered a double and the waitress gave him a hard time about it. Man did she kill her tip that night.
Last time..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 10/12/2017 2:25 pm : link
I was there for a convention, we went to a "sports bar". I put it in quotes because we had a table of 10, ordered two pitchers of beer for the entire group and they wouldn't serve us after that.

RE: Lived there for 2 years...  
Beer Man : 10/12/2017 2:30 pm : link
In comment 13645795 Oskie said:
Quote:
Unless your skiing or golfing, don't anticipate having too much fun. BORING!! Boring restaurant and Bar scene and boring people...an absolute drag. Don't bother ordering a double anything, its illegal, and all drinks are measured, exactly. If you go out to eat, make sure its at a bar, otherwise, they won't serve a second drink unless you order your food, and they time you with drinks, something like 2 crappy measured drinks in less than an hour, (or something like that) they will not serve you after that.

My advice would be to stay in Park City (20 mins north of SLC)...only legit place there.
The company I used to work for sent me there twice (about two years each time). Park City was my favorite, but there are some decent places in the valley. I ate at the Market Street Oyster Bar Downtown last time I was in town. The seafood was very good.
The Company  
Oskie : 10/12/2017 2:34 pm : link
That I went to work for, flew my wife and I out there for a few days, told them I wouldn't come if my wife didn't like it. After we landed, we went to a pretty nice restaurant outside of the city, we walked in and at each table, the customers (couples) were all sitting on the same side of the table (as opposed to facing each other), very weird. My wife ordered a wine and I ordered a double Macallan, the waitress looked at us and said, "You've never been here before, have you?" It was at that moment, I knew I should have ran....
If you have a rental car...  
Dan in the Springs : 10/12/2017 2:35 pm : link
and you're looking for a little more adult fun and you finish early, it's not too far to drive to Wendover, NV. There's casinos there anyway. I think they have some busses too.
I've never been,  
phil in arizona : 10/12/2017 2:41 pm : link
but Uinta is a decent brewery.
Oh dear lord...  
Chris in Philly : 10/12/2017 2:42 pm : link
What did I get myself into?
So until recently,  
phil in arizona : 10/12/2017 2:47 pm : link
mixed drinks had to be poured behind a "Zion Curtain" so as to not glorify the preparation of alcoholic drinks to children.
RE: Oh dear lord...  
Del Shofner : 10/12/2017 2:47 pm : link
In comment 13645840 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
What did I get myself into?


no pics, no Salt Lake City trip! This has epic potential ...
What kind of sadist holds a conference in SLC???  
Greg from LI : 10/12/2017 3:00 pm : link
BTW, there ARE loose Mormon girls, but only when they get away from Utah. Learned about that in the Marines.
Phil AZ,  
Oskie : 10/12/2017 3:05 pm : link
That must have just changed, used to spend my Sundays at Bdubs (during football season - to watch the Giants). As you know, Bdubs has all of their taps in the wall behind he bar...none of them worked, the bartenders would have to go into a room behind the bar and pour beer and mix drinks. So the Zion Curtain came down?! Interesting.
Zion Curtain  
B in ALB : 10/12/2017 3:12 pm : link
What a fucking wacked out place. Holy shit.

RE: What kind of sadist holds a conference in SLC???  
Chris in Philly : 10/12/2017 3:13 pm : link
In comment 13645861 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
BTW, there ARE loose Mormon girls, but only when they get away from Utah. Learned about that in the Marines.


An asshole, that's who.
"What did...  
Chris in Philly : 10/12/2017 3:21 pm : link
I get into?"

it's not as bad as it used to be  
Dr. D : 10/12/2017 3:47 pm : link
You can buy booze, you just have to find a state liquor store and they're not on every street corner like where I live (FL).

Park City is the nicest place around, imo, if you can get there. Worth spending some time, eating, drinking, etc.
Back in the 80's  
Beer Man : 10/12/2017 4:40 pm : link
Restaurants could only sell near Beer (3.2%) but could get around the law a little if they opened a State Store within the restaurant, or if they became a private club (of which you had to pay yearly membership fees). If it had a State Store within, you would have to go to the State Store window and purchase the real beer or booze and bring it back to your table where the waiter could then open, mix, pour it for you (for a fee of course). I believe the laws have changed considerably since then, as they needed to make changes to get the Olympics. Not being a Mormon, it was the only place I've lived in the US where I felt like a foreigner.
Go ask Steveo and Heroine Bob  
Pete in MD : 10/12/2017 4:55 pm : link
"Port of Call"  
JerseyCityJoe : 10/12/2017 6:27 pm : link
Haven't been in a few years but it was one of SLC's best.
Take advantage of the local  
pjcas18 : 10/12/2017 6:40 pm : link
culture and get married to three or four women while you're there.
Went there for a week back in 2008  
djm : 10/12/2017 7:08 pm : link
To me it was a more boring version of Hackensack with beautiful mountains off in the distance. As mentioned the culinary side of things sucked. The night life in general was uninspiring. I went with a party of about a dozen. We did most of the damage at the hotel.
Whatever you decide for apres conference activities  
B in ALB : 10/12/2017 8:55 pm : link
You need to update us on your SLC adventure as as it happens. Hilarity.

RE: Whatever you decide for apres conference activities  
Chris in Philly : 10/12/2017 9:01 pm : link
In comment 13646221 B in ALB said:
Quote:
You need to update us on your SLC adventure as as it happens. Hilarity.


Live blogging 4 days of misery. I should make you all fucking suffer.
Haha yes!  
B in ALB : 10/12/2017 9:13 pm : link
Thank you in advance my friend.
I love the skiing  
Dr. D : 10/12/2017 9:21 pm : link
and enjoy seeing my brother in law/sister in law and nieces in the Spring.

I've never been there during non skiing season, but think Park City would still be nice.

And if you're into soccer, they have the MLS team.
Chris...I know SLC  
EricJ : 10/12/2017 9:21 pm : link
my company has an office and a manufacturing plant there. Have been there many times including last week.

As far as food is concerned, I will recommend TWO places. My absolute favorite mexican restaurant in the US is the original "Red Iguana" 736 W North Temple St. Try to get there a little early. Otherwise you may have a little wait. IT IS WORTH IT. Do not leave SLC without eating here. They are famous for their amazing Mole sauces. When your waiter takes your drink order, ask for the mole sampler plate. You will get to try 8 of their sauces with the tortilla chips. That will help you decide on which meal to get.

Another good place is Pat's BBQ. For me, I prefer to eat here for lunch. Having eaten BBQ all over the US, this place is pretty good. It looks like a warehouse and you eat on picnic tables.

Will stop there because like any other city, there are many other places.


RE: Chris...I know SLC  
djm : 10/12/2017 9:47 pm : link
In comment 13646252 EricJ said:
Quote:
my company has an office and a manufacturing plant there. Have been there many times including last week.

As far as food is concerned, I will recommend TWO places. My absolute favorite mexican restaurant in the US is the original "Red Iguana" 736 W North Temple St. Try to get there a little early. Otherwise you may have a little wait. IT IS WORTH IT. Do not leave SLC without eating here. They are famous for their amazing Mole sauces. When your waiter takes your drink order, ask for the mole sampler plate. You will get to try 8 of their sauces with the tortilla chips. That will help you decide on which meal to get.

Another good place is Pat's BBQ. For me, I prefer to eat here for lunch. Having eaten BBQ all over the US, this place is pretty good. It looks like a warehouse and you eat on picnic tables.

Will stop there because like any other city, there are many other places.




I think we went to both of those places now that you mentioned it. Definitely The Mexican joint and it was good. I had totally forgotten about that place...
Yes, the red iguana is very good...  
Dan in the Springs : 10/12/2017 11:44 pm : link
But you might have to wait over an hour for a seat. There are regularly lines 75+ long for a table. Still with it, especially since you might not find much else to enjoy.
I lived in Ogden for 17 years  
Bill in UT : 10/13/2017 12:02 am : link
It's nonsense that you can't get booze in Utah. You just have to buy it at a State store, but lots of states are like that. Any restaurant serves liquor, some of the rules may be a little off, but you don't have to be a "club member" anymore. Red Iguana is good if you want casual Mex. My favorite restaurant was in Sandy, 10-15 minutes south of SLC, called Tiburon. If you want something outstanding, go there. I don't know about the Grand America(?), but the Little America hotel is the same owner. I went there once and ordered a ribeye- I got a piece of steak about 3/8 of an inch thick covered with bbq sauce. Italian food in Utah means Dominoes Pizza or alfredo sauce. Loose Mormon chicks? Looking for blondes or Polynesian, lol? Walk around Temple Square with a Book of Mormon under your arm and tell the girls you love Alex Smith. But that'll probably get you a 30 year old grandma.
RE: I lived in Ogden for 17 years  
Del Shofner : 10/13/2017 12:20 am : link
In comment 13646375 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
It's nonsense that you can't get booze in Utah. You just have to buy it at a State store, but lots of states are like that. Any restaurant serves liquor, some of the rules may be a little off, but you don't have to be a "club member" anymore. Red Iguana is good if you want casual Mex. My favorite restaurant was in Sandy, 10-15 minutes south of SLC, called Tiburon. If you want something outstanding, go there. I don't know about the Grand America(?), but the Little America hotel is the same owner. I went there once and ordered a ribeye- I got a piece of steak about 3/8 of an inch thick covered with bbq sauce. Italian food in Utah means Dominoes Pizza or alfredo sauce. Loose Mormon chicks? Looking for blondes or Polynesian, lol? Walk around Temple Square with a Book of Mormon under your arm and tell the girls you love Alex Smith. But that'll probably get you a 30 year old grandma.


Chris in Philly is going to fit right in!
I have never laughed so hard at a  
chopperhatch : 10/13/2017 1:05 am : link
"Got any recs" thread.

It never occurred to me that SLC would suck so bad. Hahaha

This shit sucks...  
Chris in Philly : 10/13/2017 1:08 am : link
and the pain starts getting shared next week. Fuckers.
RE: This shit sucks...  
chopperhatch : 10/13/2017 1:17 am : link
In comment 13646403 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
and the pain starts getting shared next week. Fuckers.


It might be better than being in Philly after the Giants go 0-6 this weekend.
With the Eagles  
St. Jimmy : 10/13/2017 5:49 am : link
5-1, consider staying?
RE: Yes, the red iguana is very good...  
EricJ : 10/13/2017 6:29 am : link
In comment 13646363 Dan in the Springs said:
Quote:
But you might have to wait over an hour for a seat. There are regularly lines 75+ long for a table. Still with it, especially since you might not find much else to enjoy.


That's probably just the weekend. I ate their twice last week and had no wait one day and only 10 min another.
If you get any time...  
Dan in the Springs : 10/13/2017 2:18 pm : link
and want to see something interesting about the Mormons besides the obvious Temple Square downtown, you should get a tour of their famous "Welfare Square". It's amazing what they've got going on their. You would be impressed to see the scale of their industry and volunteerism, and how they are able to contribute towards disaster relief, among other things. It's truly a worthwhile visit if you can make it.
Chris  
feelflows : 10/13/2017 2:27 pm : link
Give me a couple of hours. There is a speak easy with amazing food and bourbon a couple of blocks from the salt palace. Ate there in August. Great atmosphere, music and food.

I just need to find out the name from a friend. I was a bit drunk at the time
Bodega  
B in ALB : 10/13/2017 2:31 pm : link
.
RE: Bodega  
feelflows : 10/13/2017 2:32 pm : link
In comment 13647070 B in ALB said:
Quote:
.


Yes!!!

Thanks. Very unassuming. Literally looks like a bodega from the outside.
Day 1...  
Chris in Philly : 10/17/2017 2:35 pm : link
Was starving so I had a Popeyes breakfast sandwich at the airport. Holy shit. I feel like I just ate a salt lamp. My bowels are going to explosive by the time the plane lands. Looking forward to my first 3% beer!
I second  
OlyWABigBlue : 10/17/2017 10:44 pm : link
the Red Iguana, its the only distinctive restaurant that I went to while working there over 5 years. The moles are the best I've had north of the border. There are some decent yet uninspiring steakhouses that harken to the halcyon of middle management conquests.
How's it going out there CiP?  
B in ALB : 10/17/2017 10:48 pm : link
You on your 40th beer yet?

Just let those bartenders know that you have Magic Eyeglasses and they tell you to quadruple pour the booze.
Pull out a pocket watch..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 10/18/2017 7:54 am : link
wave it back and forth and say to the bartender 4 times slowly:

"My name is Joseph Smith and you will pour me a double"

You'll either get really drunk or we'll never hear from you again.

Win-Win!!
Night 1...  
Chris in Philly : 10/18/2017 11:19 am : link
I went to a place called the Beerhive. Impressive bottled beer list. A bunch of taps, but all taps have to be 4.0% ABV. The bottles are regular though. No jewelz.

Had several 2 Row IPAs which were quite good. I figured I better stay safe and get a burger and fries. Mistake. I've gotten better fries at fast food joints. I think several were still frozen. The burger sucked too.

Before I went out I went to the concierge lounge at the hotel. Frozen meatballs in Ragu and rotini with Kraft Italian dressing. Fuck you.
RE: Night 1...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 10/18/2017 11:21 am : link
In comment 13654831 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
I went to a place called the Beerhive. Impressive bottled beer list. A bunch of taps, but all taps have to be 4.0% ABV. The bottles are regular though. No jewelz.

Had several 2 Row IPAs which were quite good. I figured I better stay safe and get a burger and fries. Mistake. I've gotten better fries at fast food joints. I think several were still frozen. The burger sucked too.

Before I went out I went to the concierge lounge at the hotel. Frozen meatballs in Ragu and rotini with Kraft Italian dressing. Fuck you.


4.0 ABV? That's the highest they got in SLC? I've never been to SLC, only Park City.
RE: RE: Night 1...  
Chris in Philly : 10/18/2017 11:22 am : link
In comment 13654834 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
In comment 13654831 Chris in Philly said:


Quote:


I went to a place called the Beerhive. Impressive bottled beer list. A bunch of taps, but all taps have to be 4.0% ABV. The bottles are regular though. No jewelz.

Had several 2 Row IPAs which were quite good. I figured I better stay safe and get a burger and fries. Mistake. I've gotten better fries at fast food joints. I think several were still frozen. The burger sucked too.

Before I went out I went to the concierge lounge at the hotel. Frozen meatballs in Ragu and rotini with Kraft Italian dressing. Fuck you.



4.0 ABV? That's the highest they got in SLC? I've never been to SLC, only Park City.


Yes, on tap.
RE: Night 1...  
Greg from LI : 10/18/2017 11:29 am : link
In comment 13654831 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
Before I went out I went to the concierge lounge at the hotel. Frozen meatballs in Ragu and rotini with Kraft Italian dressing. Fuck you.


You're an average nobody who gets to live the rest of his business trip like a schnook.

Jeez...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 10/18/2017 11:31 am : link
4.0. Weak sauce.

.  
Del Shofner : 10/18/2017 11:41 am : link
In comment 13654831 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
Frozen meatballs in Ragu and rotini with Kraft Italian dressing. Fuck you.


Reminds me of a meal I had in an "Italian" restaurant in Kosice, Slovakia, in 2006. Spaghetti with ketchup, that was it. Good times ...
RE: Night 1...  
EricJ : 10/18/2017 11:47 am : link
In comment 13654831

Before I went out I went to the concierge lounge at the hotel. Frozen meatballs in Ragu and rotini with Kraft Italian dressing. Fuck you. [/quote]

Concierge lounge? Which Marriott?
Slipped out to escape...  
Chris in Philly : 10/18/2017 6:48 pm : link
convention center catering, which sucks everywhere, let alone SLC. I saw Keith Van Horne tweeting about Majerus and Crown Burgers last week so I figured I would try them for a quick lunch. Not bad! Not as good as In and Out or Shake Shack, but pretty good for a fast food burger. Not sure what tonight holds. Some suck ass food I am sure...
Glad to hear you're still alive bud  
B in ALB : 10/18/2017 6:57 pm : link
Those fuckin heathens in Utah are mean, nasty and ready to throw down at a moment's notice.
When you are loaded on...  
Chris in Philly : 10/18/2017 7:09 pm : link
fucking small beer, you are constantly on 11...
I hear that organ inspection is all the rage  
gidiefor : Mod : 10/19/2017 11:44 am : link

in Salt Lake City -- wanna go with me to the Tabernacle ?
SLC. Shit.  
Greg from LI : 10/19/2017 11:46 am : link
I'm still in SLC.
Back to the Corner