Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Vaccaro/NYPost Compares McAdoo to Handley

gidiefor : Mod : 11/9/2017 11:46 am
Quote:
Once upon a time, there was a man who coached the Giants named Ray Handley, and he was terrible at his job. This doesn’t make him unique in the NFL, of course; every franchise can point to its own designated Kotites, Bugels and Shulas (David, that is).

Not everyone can be Lombardi, Landry, or Shula (Don, that is).

Of course, Handley wasn’t just terrible at coaching football; he was especially bad at coaching football in a big-city market. He was paranoid. He was humorless. He alienated players just about every day he was on the job. He got into absurd feuds with TV guys. (He feuded with RUSS SALZBERG, for crying out loud, which is like picking a fight with your best next-door neighbor).

He was a fiasco here. But he would have been a fiasco in Chicago, in Los Angeles, in Philadelphia, in Boston — in any self-respecting sporting city that’s willing to forgive failure but will never tolerate unearned arrogance.

Ben McAdoo isn’t that bad. He isn’t Ray Handley.

(Here comes the “but” …)

- more -

Ben McAdoo looking an awful lot like this Giants coaching failure - ( New Window )
He's been reading BBI  
PatersonPlank : 11/9/2017 11:47 am : link
.
Ray Handley was a better coach.  
Modus Operandi : 11/9/2017 11:48 am : link
McAdoo isn't Handley. He's Rich Kotite.
Ray Handley took over a team that won a Super Bowl.  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 11/9/2017 11:53 am : link
Ray Handley couldn't finish better than 8-8 with that team.

Enough of this horseshit please.
im really hoping all this sh*tting on mcadoo  
mphbullet36 : 11/9/2017 11:58 am : link
while deserving so doesn't mask our other major issues which is Reese/Ross. These two better not get a pass. No should they be allowed to hire the next coach or conduct the next draft.

Mcadoo deserves to be fired (and he will be). Reese/Ross are just as much if not more to blame.
I know the Media is just doing it's job  
aimrocky : 11/9/2017 12:01 pm : link
and I 100% agree that McAdoo is in over his head, but the NY Media is ruthless. Once they smell blood in the water, it's over... At this point, I actually feel bad for the man (I don't want him coaching my team past this year, but I still feel bad for him!)
RE: im really hoping all this sh*tting on mcadoo  
Victor in CT : 11/9/2017 12:03 pm : link
In comment 13683572 mphbullet36 said:
Quote:
while deserving so doesn't mask our other major issues which is Reese/Ross. These two better not get a pass. No should they be allowed to hire the next coach or conduct the next draft.

Mcadoo deserves to be fired (and he will be). Reese/Ross are just as much if not more to blame.


Agree completely. If McAdoo gets canned and Reese/Ross & co survive it will be the same old shit. Reese should never have survived 2 years ago.
I wouldn't want to be a rookie Head Coach  
Gross Blau Oberst : 11/9/2017 12:04 pm : link
for the New York Giants following the departure of a future Hall of Fame Head Coach in Tom Coughlin.

Nor a rookie head coach given the talent shortcomings this roster has and the poor player evaluation staff that lead to a grossly inaccurate perception (internal and external to the team) that the Giants could make a super bowl run in 2017.

The 2016 season masked a lot of team warts that are once again front and center in 2017.

McAdoo was not ready to be a head coach and was not given a support structure by the team to ensure he was successful.

He was dealt a bad hand, and the team has been "called" on that hand.
RE: Ray Handley took over a team that won a Super Bowl.  
BillKo : 11/9/2017 12:04 pm : link
In comment 13683560 shockeyisthebest8056 said:
Quote:
Ray Handley couldn't finish better than 8-8 with that team.

Enough of this horseshit please.


That team was probably running on fumes.......and an older group.

I think Handley was probably a good x's and o's guy. There's little question he was highly intelligent. Heck, the guy could count cards.

But he certainly didn't adapt to coaching in the biggest NFL market. And...just because you're smart and a good assistant doesn't make you a good HC.
Running on fumes?  
Greg from LI : 11/9/2017 12:12 pm : link
They had just won the goddamned Super Bowl! Yes, it was an older team. They were still much better than the 8-8 and 6-10 Handley produced. Hell, even a crap coach like Dan Reeves managed to coax an 11-5 season out of the remnants of that team in 1993. Now, that time they WERE running on fumes.

Handley ran a championship team straight into the toilet.
RE: RE: Ray Handley took over a team that won a Super Bowl.  
an_idol_mind : 11/9/2017 12:12 pm : link
In comment 13683582 BillKo said:
Quote:
In comment 13683560 shockeyisthebest8056 said:


Quote:


Ray Handley couldn't finish better than 8-8 with that team.

Enough of this horseshit please.



That team was probably running on fumes.......and an older group.

I think Handley was probably a good x's and o's guy. There's little question he was highly intelligent. Heck, the guy could count cards.

But he certainly didn't adapt to coaching in the biggest NFL market. And...just because you're smart and a good assistant doesn't make you a good HC.


The 1991 Giants were an aging team, but their failure to make the playoffs falls on Handley.

The team still had Phil Simms, who had been one of the most efficient passers in the league the year before. Handley decided to bench him in favor of Hostetler. He also institute a new defense that failed to take advantage of the unit's many talents.

The 1990 team won a Super Bowl, and the 1993 team went 1--5 and came one game away from winning home field advantage in the playoffs. In between, there were two years of .500 football or worse, and that falls on Handley.
RE: Running on fumes?  
BillKo : 11/9/2017 12:27 pm : link
In comment 13683590 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
They had just won the goddamned Super Bowl! Yes, it was an older team. They were still much better than the 8-8 and 6-10 Handley produced. Hell, even a crap coach like Dan Reeves managed to coax an 11-5 season out of the remnants of that team in 1993. Now, that time they WERE running on fumes.

Handley ran a championship team straight into the toilet.


I think they were kinda getting old, and with a new coach, it was like having a substitute teacher and the players basically took advantage. And Handley was unable to handle that part of it. He takes the blame for sure.

Plus, it's not uncommon for SB winning teams to have a down year the year after. The Giants were still 8-8.

Lost Mark Bavaro, Simms coming off injury (plus QB battle - which wasn't easy on the team), LT was getting near the end. Remember, he had slumped at the end of 1990 only to turn it on a bit in the playoffs.

McAdoof!  
trueblueinpw : 11/9/2017 12:31 pm : link
To me, the most damning thing in the article is the part about how McAdoof comes to every Wednesday media session and reads from his binder. I think with the benefit of hindsight we can all now see that McAdoof was never up to the task. I don’t mind pointing out that prior to this season I said my biggest question mark was coaching. McAdoof running 11 personnel all last season, especially at the end of the season when it was painfully obvious it wasn’t working was a solid indication that McAdoof was in trouble. He’s a curious combination of incompetent and arrogant, abrasive and aloof.

Like others, my hope at this point is that the G’aints owners start with dismissing Reese and giving the new GM free choice in selecting an entirely new coaching staff. No one stays, not even the sleazy equipment managers.
Holy crap, that's a rough article  
ij_reilly : 11/9/2017 12:31 pm : link
Rare to read such a straight on total bashing of a head coach in any sport.

He just shit all over McAdoo, with no mercy.

The press clearly despises McAdoo, and with good reason.
not only did Reeves get to 11-5  
Banks : 11/9/2017 12:36 pm : link
They had a chance in overtime to get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. He even got Dave Brown led 94 giants to 9-7. Handley was a disaster.
Simms and Taylor were getting  
bluepepper : 11/9/2017 12:37 pm : link
up there but Banks, Pepper, Hampton, Collins, Howard, Jumbo, Meggett were all in prime years or younger. And if Simms was old then Hoss wasn't and Hoss was pretty darned good. People forget he had some nice years with the Raiders. The tell as others pointed out was 1993 when the team went 11-5 and lost the division to a great Cowboys team in OT the last week of the season.

One thing people on Handley's side though is that the division was brutal. In '91 the Cowboys were coming on and in '92 they fully arrived. The Skins won it all in '91 and were still pretty good in '92. And the Eagles had those monster defenses.
If I recall the Giants  
Bubba : 11/9/2017 1:01 pm : link
had to convince Handley to take the job. He was ready to retire and hit the casinos. He was supposed to be some kind of "Rainman" and was actually banned by some in Vegas..
Coach  
jc in c-ville : 11/9/2017 1:04 pm : link
Is about to experience the longest two months of his life.

It will be interesting to see how the players react going forward with the very difficult schedule. Forget about SF.

How will they perform against the likes of KC, Dallas, Philly and a prime time visit to DC?

Will the players play up to the competition or simply just fold?

I'm positive he knows his days are numbered and quitting isn't an option.

Tough spot to be in.
Wouldn’t it be encouraging if the Giants finished 8-8.  
Ivan15 : 11/9/2017 1:18 pm : link
I don’t think McAdoo would be fired.
Or even finishing 6-10.  
Ivan15 : 11/9/2017 1:20 pm : link
.
RE: Or even finishing 6-10.  
Victor in CT : 11/9/2017 1:39 pm : link
In comment 13683690 Ivan15 said:
Quote:
.


as encouraging as John McVay's going 3-4 in 1977 after replacing Arnsparger. That worked out well.
I thought Handley was going to law school when the Giants  
Greg from LI : 11/9/2017 1:45 pm : link
offered him the job?
RE: If I recall the Giants  
bluepepper : 11/9/2017 1:47 pm : link
In comment 13683662 Bubba said:
Quote:
had to convince Handley to take the job. He was ready to retire and hit the casinos. He was supposed to be some kind of "Rainman" and was actually banned by some in Vegas..

I think it was a couple of years prior that the Giants convinced him against quitting and going to law school. They apparently indicated that he (not Belichick) was in line for the head job if Parcells left.

In hindsight his flirtation with law school should have been a red flag. Most top coaches burn to coach and don't flirt with other careers.
One wonders why this happens...I don't know Mr. Slickback or much  
That’s Gold, Jerry : 11/9/2017 1:56 pm : link
about him...I have not paid attention to him in two years like I used to with Tom. But either they are so stubborn as to not see a need for change or they are so insulated that they miss the ridicule they are getting.

Again, you don't have to pander to the media but you do have to be forthright with them. The NY media, especially, are smart enough to notice a phony when they see one and they see it in Mr. Slickback. Winning covers that up but once you start losing...then, yeah, they are vultures and go for your throat.
LOL  
Gman11 : 11/9/2017 2:19 pm : link
Quote:
For God’s sake, man, ENOUGH with all the great practices you have. Save a little something for the games!


I've always wondered about when the coach brags about practices. If he brags about the offense, was it because the offense played great or because the defense was lousy?
I don't what Vaccaro is . . . .  
TC : 11/9/2017 2:46 pm : link
complaining about, McAdodo said the Giants would be "heavy handed" and he is!
RE: RE: If I recall the Giants  
BillKo : 11/9/2017 2:53 pm : link
In comment 13683728 bluepepper said:
Quote:
In comment 13683662 Bubba said:


Quote:


had to convince Handley to take the job. He was ready to retire and hit the casinos. He was supposed to be some kind of "Rainman" and was actually banned by some in Vegas..


I think it was a couple of years prior that the Giants convinced him against quitting and going to law school. They apparently indicated that he (not Belichick) was in line for the head job if Parcells left.

In hindsight his flirtation with law school should have been a red flag. Most top coaches burn to coach and don't flirt with other careers.


Oh I don't know...didn't Parcells actually leave the Giants to go sell insurance, then came back???
RE: He's been reading BBI  
short lease : 11/10/2017 1:25 am : link
In comment 13683552 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
.


Exactly ... didn't a lot of us say this about a month ago?
RE: I wouldn't want to be a rookie Head Coach  
short lease : 11/10/2017 1:31 am : link
In comment 13683580 Gross Blau Oberst said:
Quote:
for the New York Giants following the departure of a future Hall of Fame Head Coach in Tom Coughlin.

Nor a rookie head coach given the talent shortcomings this roster has and the poor player evaluation staff that lead to a grossly inaccurate perception (internal and external to the team) that the Giants could make a super bowl run in 2017.

The 2016 season masked a lot of team warts that are once again front and center in 2017.

McAdoo was not ready to be a head coach and was not given a support structure by the team to ensure he was successful.

He was dealt a bad hand, and the team has been "called" on that hand.


I know this team needs upgrades at certain positions but, I would bet Parcells or Coughlin (or other great coaches) would have a 4-4 maybe even 5-3 record with the exact same roster (IMHO).
Not sure where you are seeing a 3rd win ?  
Bluesbreaker : 11/10/2017 1:35 pm : link
Niners game for toilet bowl rights edge Giants .
Cardinals maybe ....
2-14 looks doable 1-15 is not out of the question NFC East
foes smell blood ..
when did Hanley  
bc4life : 11/10/2017 4:00 pm : link
get them to the playoffs.
RE: Ray Handley took over a team that won a Super Bowl.  
LauderdaleMatty : 11/10/2017 6:41 pm : link
In comment 13683560 shockeyisthebest8056 said:
Quote:
Ray Handley couldn't finish better than 8-8 with that team.

Enough of this horseshit please.


But Ray H was only hired after Bill purposefully left the Giants late.

Bill B may not have been hired if Parcells left at the end of the year but Handley most likely wouldn’t have even been interviewed for the HC job. Mara was pimping this clown after he was hired as the OC and freaked when “supposed” Eagles interest was leaked.

He’s clueless. Just in a different way than Handley. Two guys who should have never been hired. That’s the similarity
Back to the Corner