Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Residential Hot Water Heaters (Gas)

looie : 11/10/2017 10:17 am
Anyone have any idea how long they last, on average? Mine is 12 years old. Working fine but wondering if I should replace it before it craps out. Thanks.
yours is about due  
YAJ2112 : 11/10/2017 10:21 am : link
.
BTW...  
looie : 11/10/2017 10:23 am : link
...mine is the conventional storage container type, with a tank.
mine lasted 17 years  
John in Loudoun : 11/10/2017 10:33 am : link
just got it replaced since I was replacing my AC. It was still going strong. I guess it depends on different factors like how much you use it, lime build up, etc.
I'd start thinking about it at 12 years  
Bockman : 11/10/2017 10:41 am : link
definitely a repair that you want to do before it goes. Because a water heater that craps out means a basement full of water!

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a horrible expense either. The tanks themselves are only $500-$600 then you figure a couple hundred bucks for the install. Budget a grand and then you're good for another 10 years at least with the new heater.
RE: mine lasted 17 years  
GentleGiant : 11/10/2017 10:56 am : link
In comment 13684758 John in Loudoun said:
Quote:
just got it replaced since I was replacing my AC. It was still going strong. I guess it depends on different factors like how much you use it, lime build up, etc.


What was the brand? I have a Bradford White that's over 20 years old and still works like it's brand new. I keep a close eye on it but haven't notice a dot of rust or any change in its capacity to heat.
Put in the Bradford White 2 years ag. 70 gallons.  
Giant John : 11/10/2017 11:05 am : link
I plan on 15 years at least
RE: RE: mine lasted 17 years  
John in Loudoun : 11/10/2017 11:11 am : link
In comment 13684812 GentleGiant said:
Quote:
In comment 13684758 John in Loudoun said:


Quote:


just got it replaced since I was replacing my AC. It was still going strong. I guess it depends on different factors like how much you use it, lime build up, etc.



What was the brand? I have a Bradford White that's over 20 years old and still works like it's brand new. I keep a close eye on it but haven't notice a dot of rust or any change in its capacity to heat.


I believe it was a Rheem.
have a rheem also  
viggie : 11/10/2017 11:21 am : link
going on 16.
Mine is Getting on.  
BobA : 11/10/2017 11:30 am : link
What is the thoughts of on demand versus the tank. When it finally gives up the ghost, I'll have to make the decision.
Tankless  
Jim in Fairfax : 11/10/2017 11:49 am : link
Pros:
1) Less expensive to run
2) Last longer
3) Take up less space
4) Never runs out of hot water

Cons:
1) Much higher upfront costs. Long payback period (may never pay off)
2) Install is more complex
3) Limited simultaneous hot water supply. 2 showers at once may not be feasible.

if you choose to go this way, make sure you get a really good installer. Install is more complex - you donít want a hack doing this.
Mine made it 25 years!  
ZogZerg : 11/10/2017 11:56 am : link
But, I should have replaced it sooner. This day and age 12-15 years is about what you get.
RE: Mine is Getting on.  
giant24 : 11/10/2017 12:00 pm : link
In comment 13684857 BobA said:
Quote:
What is the thoughts of on demand versus the tank. When it finally gives up the ghost, I'll have to make the decision.


I did the math a couple years ago, would need to be in house like 15-20 years to break even vs a tank. Also from what i heard these aren't good for the northeast winters because the pipes get cold when the tankless isnt pumping and there is a wait for hot water to get through when fired up. They are trying to fix this by having holding tanks or even re-circulators but that kind of kills the whole idea. Also there is maintenance required for the tankless to keep residue from effecting the performance. Better suited for more moderate climates is what I've read.
i replaced mine  
mattlawson : 11/10/2017 12:09 pm : link
state gas
Major Flood....  
louinma : 11/10/2017 2:59 pm : link
Realize when it goes, its a flood. There's nothing dainty about a failing hot water heater
Want your hot water heater  
Bleedin Blue : 11/10/2017 6:00 pm : link
Last longer, change your anode rod every two to 3 years. Most people ignore that. You should also drain , not all the way but remove water , you'll notice the rust come out. Those are the things I did to my tank when I had a HWH. My house gets its domestic HW from my boiler.
Back to the Corner