Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Interesting tweet from former scout Greg Gabriel

ajr2456 : 11/20/2017 1:02 pm
Quote:
Greg Gabriel& #8207;
@greggabe
18h18 hours ago
More
Been told a few times now that a certain very successful NFL coach wants out from his current team. And no Chicago fans, itís not Fox. This coach feels itís time for a change



He wont say who it is
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Garrett  
Giantslifer : 11/20/2017 3:19 pm : link
Under NO circumstances do we allow that dallas poison to enter the Giant bloodstream.
Don't we have enough problems ?
Every..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 11/20/2017 3:24 pm : link
fucking year people treat Dallas like they are about to run the goddamned table and they've done absolutely nothing for the over two decades now.

If the Giants had a coach with only 1 playoff win in a pretty long tenure, there'd be yearly calls to get him ousted. Hell, we had a guy with 2 rings and it was "unacceptable" to miss the playoffs 3 years in a row.

What's next, pining for Marvin Lewis?
But come on Fats,  
Section331 : 11/20/2017 3:28 pm : link
their lemonade is so fresh!
RE: RE: btw...  
BillKo : 11/20/2017 3:33 pm : link
In comment 13699372 Section331 said:
Quote:
In comment 13699316 BillKo said:


Quote:


I'd snatch up Jason Garrett in a second.

I think he's a really good coach.



Disagree. He doesn't even design the offense, it's Linehan's system. He's little more than a cheerleader who calls time outs (and badly at that).


His teams seem ready to play and play hard for him.

What system he runs, what does that have to do with it?

Not sure of the TO issue, but I'll take your word on that......

IMO, if he got out from under JJ - a very tough working environment - you'd have a pretty good HC.

Again..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 11/20/2017 3:36 pm : link
if the Giants had arguably the best OL in football, would we be saying the team was "playing hard" if they were on track to miss the playoffs?

If the Giants don't come out in war paint and immediately score or get a 3 and out to start the game, they are said to be "flat". Dallas can have 1 playoff win in this decade, consistently be the favorite of the division and they always play hard?

Fuck me.
RE: RE: RE: btw...  
Section331 : 11/20/2017 3:38 pm : link
In comment 13699472 BillKo said:
Quote:

His teams seem ready to play and play hard for him.

What system he runs, what does that have to do with it?

Not sure of the TO issue, but I'll take your word on that......

IMO, if he got out from under JJ - a very tough working environment - you'd have a pretty good HC.


He's an offensive coach who has nothing to do with the offense. Not saying he's the only one (Mike Tomlin allegedly isn't intimately involved with PITT's defense either), but it does make one wonder about his overall game scheming capabilities. That, and one playoff win in 7 years, 2 of those seasons as a top seed? He'd be run out of NY on a rail.
And, I will add, Garrett had his playcalling duties  
Section331 : 11/20/2017 3:40 pm : link
taken away from him by Jerry Jones. I see little evidence that he is a great, or even good, head coach.
RE: And, I will add, Garrett had his playcalling duties  
bw in dc : 11/20/2017 3:45 pm : link
In comment 13699479 Section331 said:
Quote:
taken away from him by Jerry Jones. I see little evidence that he is a great, or even good, head coach.


True. But maybe he should ask for them back after Linehan has decided that helping out a replacement LT is immaterial...
RE: Again..  
BillKo : 11/20/2017 3:54 pm : link
In comment 13699473 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
if the Giants had arguably the best OL in football, would we be saying the team was "playing hard" if they were on track to miss the playoffs?


Well, maybe...considering the are now missing their best offensive piece, and have a pretty sub par defense....lol.....

IMO, a change of scenery would be good for Garrett.
Not a fan of Garrett  
gmen4ever : 11/20/2017 3:57 pm : link
I can see he is a players coach, and they generally like him. But i have seen him in games where he is completely lost, or it appears that way. Long, blank stares forward, not saying much or doing much. Still, ,just an observation from a non-pro but I don't think he is a good fit for the GMEN.
RE: Again..  
micky : 11/20/2017 3:58 pm : link
In comment 13699473 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
if the Giants had arguably the best OL in football, would we be saying the team was "playing hard" if they were on track to miss the playoffs?

If the Giants don't come out in war paint and immediately score or get a 3 and out to start the game, they are said to be "flat". Dallas can have 1 playoff win in this decade, consistently be the favorite of the division and they always play hard?

Fuck me.



because they're "Merica's Team"
No insider knowledge here  
Modus Operandi : 11/20/2017 4:11 pm : link
But I bet it's Bill B.

Entirely possible Brady retires after the year and that roster has gotten older. No heir apparent in house. Ties to NYG and he clearly sees what a dumpster fire this situation is. Entirely possible Reese and McAdoo go. I could see Mara giving him full control.

Besides, who wouldn't want out of Boston?
RE: No insider knowledge here  
BillKo : 11/20/2017 4:15 pm : link
In comment 13699530 Modus Operandi said:
Quote:
But I bet it's Bill B.

Entirely possible Brady retires after the year and that roster has gotten older. No heir apparent in house. Ties to NYG and he clearly sees what a dumpster fire this situation is. Entirely possible Reese and McAdoo go. I could see Mara giving him full control.

Besides, who wouldn't want out of Boston?


BB has full control.......

Brady has said he wants to play into his 40s.......

Doesn't make sense, but imagine all the coverage if BB came back to the Giants.....WOW.
RE: RE: No insider knowledge here  
Modus Operandi : 11/20/2017 4:16 pm : link
In comment 13699532 BillKo said:
Quote:
In comment 13699530 Modus Operandi said:


Quote:


But I bet it's Bill B.

Entirely possible Brady retires after the year and that roster has gotten older. No heir apparent in house. Ties to NYG and he clearly sees what a dumpster fire this situation is. Entirely possible Reese and McAdoo go. I could see Mara giving him full control.

Besides, who wouldn't want out of Boston?



BB has full control.......

Brady has said he wants to play into his 40s.......

Doesn't make sense, but imagine all the coverage if BB came back to the Giants.....WOW.


I know. What I'm suggesting is that IF Bill felt he needed a change of scenery, he isn't going to a team to just be a coach. He's going somewhere he's got full autonomy. The Maras would be idiots not to give him that.
I just always felt BB and TB...  
BillKo : 11/20/2017 4:18 pm : link
would retire together.

Then again, I thought TC and Eli would too..............
Also  
Modus Operandi : 11/20/2017 4:20 pm : link
Brady is already 40. He will be 41 to start next season. Its probable Bill knows how lonf Brady actually intends to play. Between Brady and Gisele and, she's the breadwinner of the family, believe it or not, they are one of the wealthiest couples on the planet. Not sure what the point would be to continue taking a beating every week.
the point would be, he's a football player  
Greg from LI : 11/20/2017 4:23 pm : link
Much as I don't like him and his prettyboy Hollywood image, he lives to play. He's driven to play. Playing football is what he's done his entire life and, so long as he can continue to do it at a high level, why would he stop?
RE: Also  
BillKo : 11/20/2017 4:23 pm : link
In comment 13699540 Modus Operandi said:
Quote:
Not sure what the point would be to continue taking a beating every week.


Because he loves it, that's why..............
I'm guessing  
old man : 11/20/2017 4:25 pm : link
McCarthy..Payton...Carroll.
The middle on is having a great season and team has decided its ID is run first. That may go against his grain...plus. that ' incident'.
Carroll's team is struggling and has fallen since his SB coaching gaffer.
McCarthys Packers need a nice draft to battle improving Lions and Vikings.
Tomlin may be tired of the grind and Ben cant survive the hits much longer...unless he learns to fall.
If they get another Ring...and Gisele says "Tommy !no more football'...he and a 67 y.o. BB may finally ride off into the sunset.

I'm going McCarthy.
My guess is that this tweet  
pjcas18 : 11/20/2017 4:26 pm : link
can be true at almost any give time and be completely made up.

But let's assume it's not made up, my ranked odds are:

1. Tomlin: Ben on the cusp of retirement, Bell a UFA and needs to be paid, defense deteriorating, OL hit with suspension, team too good to hit rock bottom and get Ben replacement. He's been there 10 years.

2. McCarthy: look how bad that team is without Rodgers. I get QB is the most important player on the field, but holy shit that offense was brutal with Hundley and they have talent elsewhere. He's been there 11 years.

3. Harbaugh: Flacco looks like dogshit, no skill guys and also too good to hit rock bottom and get a replacement QB. He's been there 9 years.

Long shots for:

Marvin Lewis (hard to see him classified as "successful" let alone very successful, but he does have 7 playoff appearances (no wins, but hey he's been there for 14 years).

Ron Rivera (no real reason just don't see him leaving)

Payton (same with Rivera, but he's slightly less of a long shot to me, he'll stay as long as Brees does IMO).

Pete Carroll (if the change of scenery involved a new NFL team I don't see it, with Russell Wilson and still a good if not quite as dominant defense why move?)

Belichick (not happening)

RE: RE: RE: No insider knowledge here  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 11/20/2017 4:28 pm : link
In comment 13699535 Modus Operandi said:
Quote:
In comment 13699532 BillKo said:


Quote:


In comment 13699530 Modus Operandi said:


Quote:


But I bet it's Bill B.

Entirely possible Brady retires after the year and that roster has gotten older. No heir apparent in house. Ties to NYG and he clearly sees what a dumpster fire this situation is. Entirely possible Reese and McAdoo go. I could see Mara giving him full control.

Besides, who wouldn't want out of Boston?



BB has full control.......

Brady has said he wants to play into his 40s.......

Doesn't make sense, but imagine all the coverage if BB came back to the Giants.....WOW.



I know. What I'm suggesting is that IF Bill felt he needed a change of scenery, he isn't going to a team to just be a coach. He's going somewhere he's got full autonomy. The Maras would be idiots not to give him that.


What Bill has in New England will not and cannot be replicated anywhere else. For that reason alone, it is not little Bill.
One other point  
Modus Operandi : 11/20/2017 4:29 pm : link
No HC in the history of the NFL has won it twice with different teams. Far as I can tell.

That might be enough of a carrot in in of itself.
Whoever it is  
Bubba : 11/20/2017 4:31 pm : link
does not mean he is coming here.
My bet...  
GeorgeAdams33 : 11/20/2017 4:37 pm : link
is that it's Payton
Also for the haters of Marvin Lewis and Jason Garrett  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 11/20/2017 4:38 pm : link
The amount of fiddling the respective owners of the Bengals and Cowboys do, I think they are massive successes, and probably could do better elsewhere where the owners aren't nearly as involved.
I'd love Harbaugh  
PatersonPlank : 11/20/2017 4:43 pm : link
IMO he'd be a perfect fit for us
RE: One other point  
Greg from LI : 11/20/2017 4:43 pm : link
In comment 13699556 Modus Operandi said:
Quote:
No HC in the history of the NFL has won it twice with different teams. Far as I can tell.

That might be enough of a carrot in in of itself.


This is true, and only a handful have even made a Super Bowl with two different teams: Shula, Parcells, Reeves, Vermeil are the only ones I can think of.
I'd love Harbaugh  
PatersonPlank : 11/20/2017 4:47 pm : link
IMO he'd be a perfect fit for us
RE: RE: One other point  
Carson53 : 11/20/2017 4:51 pm : link
In comment 13699574 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 13699556 Modus Operandi said:


Quote:


No HC in the history of the NFL has won it twice with different teams. Far as I can tell.

That might be enough of a carrot in in of itself.



This is true, and only a handful have even made a Super Bowl with two different teams: Shula, Parcells, Reeves, Vermeil are the only ones I can think of.
.

I think you missed Holmgren with the Packers & Seahawks.
RE: RE: RE: One other point  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 11/20/2017 5:09 pm : link
In comment 13699588 Carson53 said:
Quote:
In comment 13699574 Greg from LI said:


Quote:


In comment 13699556 Modus Operandi said:


Quote:


No HC in the history of the NFL has won it twice with different teams. Far as I can tell.

That might be enough of a carrot in in of itself.



This is true, and only a handful have even made a Super Bowl with two different teams: Shula, Parcells, Reeves, Vermeil are the only ones I can think of.

.

I think you missed Holmgren with the Packers & Seahawks.


He got there, but he lost the one with the Seahawks.
Pete Carroll in New York?  
mort christenson : 11/20/2017 5:20 pm : link
That would be awesome. Especially during 9/11 ceremonies. He could go around asking police and Feds and firemen to tell him what REALLY happened that day.
RE: RE: RE: RE: One other point  
Carson53 : 11/20/2017 5:34 pm : link
In comment 13699597 BigBlueDownTheShore said:
Quote:
In comment 13699588 Carson53 said:


Quote:


In comment 13699574 Greg from LI said:


Quote:


In comment 13699556 Modus Operandi said:


Quote:


No HC in the history of the NFL has won it twice with different teams. Far as I can tell.

That might be enough of a carrot in in of itself.



This is true, and only a handful have even made a Super Bowl with two different teams: Shula, Parcells, Reeves, Vermeil are the only ones I can think of.

.

I think you missed Holmgren with the Packers & Seahawks.



He got there, but he lost the one with the Seahawks.


You missed what the gent said...above.


This is true, and only a handful have even made a Super Bowl with two different teams: Shula, Parcells, Reeves, Vermeil are the only ones I can think of.


I think you missed Holmgren with the Packers & Seahawks.
RE: Garrett played for Dallas too  
FStubbs : 11/20/2017 6:10 pm : link
In comment 13699327 giants#1 said:
Quote:
I wouldn't be so quick to think he wants out as he likely enjoys the area.


He also played for us.
Why I like Garrett...  
Dan in the Springs : 11/20/2017 6:30 pm : link
He's assembled a very good coaching staff around him, and he uses that to have his team prepared and playing at a very high level almost every week.

Assembling the coaching staff may be more a credit to the owner in Dallas and a willingness to spend money on coaching, but either way, Garrett gets credit in my book for using them well to have his team prepared.

That's what I miss the most about Coughlin. He may have lost several games with in-game management, but his teams were always prepared and they played hard.
I don't think the Mara's would hire a coach out from under the Rooneys  
montanagiant : 11/20/2017 6:30 pm : link
.
Pjcas18  
Toth029 : 11/20/2017 7:19 pm : link
Steelers defense has been fantastic for them. Where are they deteriorating?
In what world is Jason  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 11/20/2017 7:25 pm : link
Garrett a 'very successful NFL coach'?
RE: But come on Fats,  
Gatorade Dunk : 11/20/2017 7:42 pm : link
In comment 13699468 Section331 said:
Quote:
their lemonade is so fresh!

It's funny when people who aren't funny try to be funny.
Again..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 11/20/2017 8:03 pm : link
how does this bullshit get spewed so often??

Quote:
Why I like Garrett...
Dan in the Springs : 6:30 pm : link : reply
He's assembled a very good coaching staff around him, and he uses that to have his team prepared and playing at a very high level almost every week.

Assembling the coaching staff may be more a credit to the owner in Dallas and a willingness to spend money on coaching, but either way, Garrett gets credit in my book for using them well to have his team prepared.


The guy has one playoff win this decade. They go into nearly every season as the favorites. Two years ago they had a horrific record. This year they are more than likely missing the playoffs.

He supposedly has the best OL in the league - so how exactly is his team prepared and playing at a very high level when they've finished in the bottom half of the division more than the top half since 2010??

From 2010 through 2013, they were 4 games under .500. and had 4 straight non-winning seasons. How is that having the team ready to play and playing hard week in and out?
RE: Again..  
Diver_Down : 11/20/2017 8:27 pm : link
In comment 13699745 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
how does this bullshit get spewed so often??



Quote:


Why I like Garrett...
Dan in the Springs : 6:30 pm : link : reply
He's assembled a very good coaching staff around him, and he uses that to have his team prepared and playing at a very high level almost every week.

Assembling the coaching staff may be more a credit to the owner in Dallas and a willingness to spend money on coaching, but either way, Garrett gets credit in my book for using them well to have his team prepared.



The guy has one playoff win this decade. They go into nearly every season as the favorites. Two years ago they had a horrific record. This year they are more than likely missing the playoffs.

He supposedly has the best OL in the league - so how exactly is his team prepared and playing at a very high level when they've finished in the bottom half of the division more than the top half since 2010??

From 2010 through 2013, they were 4 games under .500. and had 4 straight non-winning seasons. How is that having the team ready to play and playing hard week in and out?


To add to your critique of Garrett - Via Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Cowboys have blown 18 halftime leads in Jason Garrettís tenure. Five times the Cowboys lost games that were tied at halftime.

The Cowboys under Garrett convert 68.4 percent of games into wins when leading at halftime, per Davison, and overcome halftime deficits 33.3 percent of the time.
Garrett is not so Great - ( New Window )
RE: Again..  
BillKo : 11/20/2017 9:29 pm : link
In comment 13699745 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
how does this bullshit get spewed so often??



Quote:


Why I like Garrett...
Dan in the Springs : 6:30 pm : link : reply
He's assembled a very good coaching staff around him, and he uses that to have his team prepared and playing at a very high level almost every week.

Assembling the coaching staff may be more a credit to the owner in Dallas and a willingness to spend money on coaching, but either way, Garrett gets credit in my book for using them well to have his team prepared.



The guy has one playoff win this decade. They go into nearly every season as the favorites. Two years ago they had a horrific record. This year they are more than likely missing the playoffs.

He supposedly has the best OL in the league - so how exactly is his team prepared and playing at a very high level when they've finished in the bottom half of the division more than the top half since 2010??

From 2010 through 2013, they were 4 games under .500. and had 4 straight non-winning seasons. How is that having the team ready to play and playing hard week in and out?


Let's take a closer look at what you posted. Yes, only one win this decade. Their horrific record two years ago is directly attributed to Romo being hurt (as can be said for 2010). Garrett took over half way thru that season with Romo already hurt.

They haven't had the best OL going back to 2010.....that unit was completed by drafting center Frederick and guard Martin.

From 2011 thru 2013, they played for the division title on the final day of the season (losing each time). They won the division in 2014 and in 2016. The four games under .500 is directly attributed, again, to Romo being hurt in 2010.

Playing hard - doesn't always translate to wins. I see a ton of effort from his teams. That's just my perception.

IMO, again, I think Garrett would benefit from a change of scenery and be a good choice for a head coach by a franchise.
Directly related to Romo being hurt??  
FatMan in Charlotte : 11/21/2017 8:10 am : link
2010: 6-10
2011: 8-8
2012: 8-8
2013: 8-8

Romo was hurt 4 years in a row??

I can think of another coach with middling results that people here couldn't wait to run out of town, and he actually had hardware to show.

Garrett pulls those seasons out, and it is said he has his teams playing hard each and every week?

Holy fuck.
Agree with Mr. Snarky McAngerson  
Modus Operandi : 11/21/2017 8:19 am : link
I want no part of Garrett.
I'm not 100% sure Jason Garrett has another job in the league  
Ten Ton Hammer : 11/21/2017 9:12 am : link
Clearly he understands that his bread is buttered on the side of being totally okay with Jerry Jones' constant sideline presence and meddling.

All I know about Dallas...  
Dan in the Springs : 11/21/2017 9:56 am : link
is it seems like the following will always be true:

1. The media anoints them and follows every move in the offseason like their jobs depend on it.

2. The collective of BBI discounts any success they've had in previous years and decides that they aren't a real threat.

3. Roster analysts determine that they have regressed.

4. They aren't eliminated until the end of December.

5. They lose in January.

I've been impressed with how Garrett has his team playing in part because I'm one of those people who for years have expected Dallas to suck only to have them prove me wrong. Sure they haven't won a super bowl, or even many playoff games, but they haven't sucked as I expected them to.
In 4 out of the 7 years..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 11/21/2017 10:00 am : link
of this decade, they have finished 3rd or 4th in the division.

When we do it, we're compared to the Brown and Bills and we want to run coaches out of town like they are pedophiles. When the Cowboys do it, we ask if we should hire their coach.
RE: Pjcas18  
pjcas18 : 11/21/2017 10:32 am : link
In comment 13699708 Toth029 said:
Quote:
Steelers defense has been fantastic for them. Where are they deteriorating?


Look who they have played. They got beat by the CHI, almost lost to IND, they allowed more points to KC than the Giants did. They have (by my eye test) have had the easiest defensive schedule in the league by a lot and they play 3 of the worst offenses in the league 2 times each with CIN, CLE, and BAL.

their best player on D is still probably James Harrison and he's 100 years old, their secondary is extremely vulnerable and they have significant cap issues.

After watching their last game (in a win) I felt like the Patriots would hang 50 on them.
RE: Directly related to Romo being hurt??  
BillKo : 11/21/2017 10:53 am : link
In comment 13699951 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
2010: 6-10
2011: 8-8
2012: 8-8
2013: 8-8

Romo was hurt 4 years in a row??



Where did I say that? I referencing your point about them being four games under .500 during that span. Romo was hurt half way thru the 6-10 year (in fact, earlier than half way I believe). That contributed largely to them being 6-10.

If he's not hurt in 2010, they probably aren't under .500 for that span - debatable, but likely.
RE: In 4 out of the 7 years..  
BillKo : 11/21/2017 10:58 am : link
In comment 13700073 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
of this decade, they have finished 3rd or 4th in the division.

When we do it, we're compared to the Brown and Bills and we want to run coaches out of town like they are pedophiles. When the Cowboys do it, we ask if we should hire their coach.


And two of those years they lost Romo. That's a pretty huge loss.

More about the Cowboys, while Romo was a terrific player, he did kinda choke in clutch situations. You saw that in 2011 and 2012 in season ending loses, where they could have been 9-7 and division winners with a win.

Is that on Garrett?

Also, in 2013, Garrett had to play for the division again versus Philly on the final weekend without Romo. Yes, hurt again.

I like Garrett, when we fire BM and Garrett was available, I'd certainly interview him.


RE: RE: Pjcas18  
BillKo : 11/21/2017 11:35 am : link
In comment 13700122 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 13699708 Toth029 said:


Quote:


Steelers defense has been fantastic for them. Where are they deteriorating?



Look who they have played. They got beat by the CHI, almost lost to IND, they allowed more points to KC than the Giants did. They have (by my eye test) have had the easiest defensive schedule in the league by a lot and they play 3 of the worst offenses in the league 2 times each with CIN, CLE, and BAL.

their best player on D is still probably James Harrison and he's 100 years old, their secondary is extremely vulnerable and they have significant cap issues.

After watching their last game (in a win) I felt like the Patriots would hang 50 on them.


PJ - get that feeling too. Big Ben looks to me to almost be running on fumes. He's still good....but something just doesn't look right.

I think the Pats bulldoze anyone to get to the SB if they don't have any significant injuries........
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner