Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Want to dump my cable service

MartyGlickman : 11/30/2017 10:45 pm
So I currently have Optimum triple play and I would like to entirely dump this service and just get an internet provider. I am fed up with TV and do not need a land line for phone service. I also own a Roku box so I can stream Netflix with just internet. What are my options?
i have no idea, where do you live?  
mattlawson : 11/30/2017 10:55 pm : link
ive had internet only, fios, roku for years. helped me save up for a house with the savings, then a gym membership
.  
burntass : 11/30/2017 11:00 pm : link
slingbox basic channels for $20 bucks
I cut my bill in half last spring.  
BigBlue2112 : 11/30/2017 11:07 pm : link
Dropped cable completely. Just doing 100mbps Internet $45/mo and DIRECTV NOW streaming for $35/mo. Love it.
Well, you still need Internet service  
Jim in Fairfax : 11/30/2017 11:07 pm : link
So you either need to stick with optimum for that or look into what alternatives are available in your area. Perhaps FIOS.
Just downgrade your package to internet only  
jnoble : 11/30/2017 11:16 pm : link
And fun fact: Cablevision now Altice never fully encrypted their signal after going digital so you can plug the cable directly into the back of any modern digital flat screen TV and get a bunch of free channels...all the networks, News 12, some others. So basically you can pay for only internet but still get free TV albeit only the basic local channels
My first wife.....  
thrunthrublue : 11/30/2017 11:22 pm : link
Downgraded my package......
I'd like to get rid of  
halfback20 : 11/30/2017 11:24 pm : link
Directv, but i won't be able to watch most giants games without it.
RE: . Slingbox  
baadbill : 11/30/2017 11:26 pm : link
In comment 13715636 burntass said:
Quote:
slingbox basic channels for $20 bucks


Doesn't slingbox need a TV input? If not, where does Slingbox obtain its television feed?
RE: RE: . Slingbox  
burntass : 12/1/2017 2:12 am : link
sorry, let me clarify. Get a roku setup with a sling tv app (formerly slingbox). They sell a la carte channels and packages starting at $20 bucks per month.

In comment 13715654 baadbill said:
Quote:
In comment 13715636 burntass said:


Quote:


slingbox basic channels for $20 bucks



Doesn't slingbox need a TV input? If not, where does Slingbox obtain its television feed?
RE: RE: RE: . Slingbox  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 12/1/2017 8:47 am : link
In comment 13715699 burntass said:
Quote:
sorry, let me clarify. Get a roku setup with a sling tv app (formerly slingbox). They sell a la carte channels and packages starting at $20 bucks per month.

In comment 13715654 baadbill said:


Quote:


In comment 13715636 burntass said:


Quote:


slingbox basic channels for $20 bucks



Doesn't slingbox need a TV input? If not, where does Slingbox obtain its television feed?


Slingbox still exists. Sling is different entity that could possibly be owned by Slingbox.
PlayStation Vue  
Robert : 12/1/2017 9:25 am : link
I found to bee the best streaming service. Roku has an app. You get a cloud based DVR, live local channels, and on demand content. I think there's 40 feeds all together. You can also add packages like sports to get Redzone and just cancel the package after three season is over.
RE: RE: RE: . Slingbox  
baadbill : 12/1/2017 10:57 am : link
In comment 13715699 burntass said:
Quote:
sorry, let me clarify. Get a roku setup with a sling tv app (formerly slingbox). They sell a la carte channels and packages starting at $20 bucks per month.

In comment 13715654 baadbill said:


Quote:


In comment 13715636 burntass said:


Quote:


slingbox basic channels for $20 bucks



Doesn't slingbox need a TV input? If not, where does Slingbox obtain its television feed?



Nice name btw (lol)

Anyway, I'm still a little bit confused. I would love to drop Cable TV ... but I don't get over air antenna coverage here ... I've been trying to find legal apps that provide pay service for broadcast TV (and more) ... is the service you describe provided by Roku (I thought it was just a streaming box like Amazon Fire TV which is what I have) ... or is the service you describe provided by Slingbox? Before I posted to you yesterday, I went to the slingbox site - spent maybe 10 minutes (didn't get through everything but was reading the FAQ) and I didn't find anything right away that said they sold TV service ... everything I saw indicated that if I had TV service, slingbox would allow me to see MY TV FEED remotely wherever I might be - but I need to supply my own tv feed.

So I'm still a little confused. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate your taking the time to explain to an old, getting slower every day, mind... haha
Check out  
BobOnLI : 12/1/2017 11:21 am : link
Direct TV Now on the net. It is an app for Roku, fire Tv etc. That is just like cable. You'll still need to get internet from optimum.
They are all..  
Robert : 12/1/2017 11:40 am : link
streaming services. You use an app on your steaming device to watch it, just like you would Netflix. Same thing.
That's the good thing about ditching the cable package. You can  
Heisenberg : 12/1/2017 12:02 pm : link
try all the streaming services. They all have try for free periods and easy online cancellation. I've tried the following

Sling TV - it's good and has YES but didn't have locals when I tried it (I get bad reception in my area). Has a bunch of cheaper tiers.

YouTubeTV - Really good and seemed to have the most reliable and least glitchy feeds. Had all the streaming locals in my area. The drawback here was it missed a few channels I liked and only had playback via chromecast, which was annoying compared to using the remote.

Direct TV now - Really good service, I thought. Had fewer locals than others at same price.

Playstation Vue - this one was my favorite. Loved it. They just raised their price to 45. Has NESN and YES.

FUBO tv - I'm using this now. It's not nearly as good as the others, frankly. But it has all the channels I really need plus it has MSG and my son and I are huge Knicks fans - that was the deal maker for us. I think when basketball season is over, I will go back to PS Vue or YouTube TV.
RE: That's the good thing about ditching the cable package. You can  
baadbill : 12/1/2017 3:07 pm : link
In comment 13716419 Heisenberg said:
Quote:
try all the streaming services. They all have try for free periods and easy online cancellation. I've tried the following

Sling TV - it's good and has YES but didn't have locals when I tried it (I get bad reception in my area). Has a bunch of cheaper tiers.

YouTubeTV - Really good and seemed to have the most reliable and least glitchy feeds. Had all the streaming locals in my area. The drawback here was it missed a few channels I liked and only had playback via chromecast, which was annoying compared to using the remote.

Direct TV now - Really good service, I thought. Had fewer locals than others at same price.

Playstation Vue - this one was my favorite. Loved it. They just raised their price to 45. Has NESN and YES.

FUBO tv - I'm using this now. It's not nearly as good as the others, frankly. But it has all the channels I really need plus it has MSG and my son and I are huge Knicks fans - that was the deal maker for us. I think when basketball season is over, I will go back to PS Vue or YouTube TV.


I have to be able to get the Rangers. How good has the MSG feed been for you?
Back to the Corner