Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Report - Cashman done interviewing candidates

davek3698 : 12/1/2017 8:40 am
and is making his recommendation to ownership. Personally, I hope its Meulens out of the group.
I think it most likely comes down to  
Ryan in Albany : 12/1/2017 8:43 am : link
Bam Bam or Beltran.
Iím surprised no Pedrique interview  
mfsd : 12/1/2017 8:43 am : link
But Cash seems to have a plan, even if we donít fully understand it.
Hire back Girardi  
The_Boss : 12/1/2017 8:44 am : link
-
from all these canadates  
micky : 12/1/2017 8:48 am : link
no one touches Girardi..Think they really screwed this one up
RE: Hire back Girardi  
rich in DC : 12/1/2017 8:48 am : link
In comment 13715870 The_Boss said:
Quote:
-


Absolutely not.

RE: from all these canadates  
UConn4523 : 12/1/2017 8:50 am : link
In comment 13715884 micky said:
Quote:
no one touches Girardi..Think they really screwed this one up


I wan't a fan of not bringing back Girardi, but you have no idea what any of the candidates will amount to.
RE: from all these canadates  
rich in DC : 12/1/2017 8:55 am : link
In comment 13715884 micky said:
Quote:
no one touches Girardi..Think they really screwed this one up


Based on what the players and former players (especially Tex) have said, Girardi was a good manager, but not good at relating to people. That might have worked with a veteran team- but that's not the Yanks anymore. Just like the strong-man approach of Showalter wore the team down, Girardi's presence really did this team no favors.

With a young team that showed how important a strong clubhouse presence was last season (see the emotional impact that Todd Frazier had on the team, especially down the stretch and in the playoffs), the fact that the manager was a non-factor in the clubhouse practically screams that a change was necessary.

It is time for a guy who can lead the team, while simultaneously having a strong feel for the flow and of the game- and be able to be proactive- not reactive. Girardi simply never had that instinctual feel for what was happening.

In a way, part of me believes that Meulens is the best choice as a whole, but another part says that the powerful clubhouse presence of Beltran might be the best thing for this team right now- especially with a large portion of the next wave of young Yanks will be Latino.
I'd be happy w/either Beltran or Muelens  
TheMick7 : 12/1/2017 8:59 am : link
Originally,reports said Cash would choose 2-3 from the group to meet w/Hal. Now,it seems Cash will choose one & present him to Hal. I think they want a manager in place when pursuing Ohtani.
Just wondering  
DC Gmen Fan : 12/1/2017 9:00 am : link
what makes Beltran a great candidate? He just stopped playing.
Changing the subject a bit  
rich in DC : 12/1/2017 9:04 am : link
Today is the contract tender deadline. Obviously guys like Warren, Betances, Grey, Kahnle, Gregorius and Hicks get tendered.

I think there is a strong chance that Romine gets non-tendered.

What about Shreve? At this point, he is almost a forgotten man in the back of the pen. Do the Yanks want to pay him nearly $1M and risk that he reverts to 2016 performance, or worse yet- that he is just average and takes innings away from more talented young relievers?

IMO, were I Cashman, I would non-tender Romine and Shreve and use that money to work on the bench.
RE: Just wondering  
TheMick7 : 12/1/2017 9:10 am : link
In comment 13715920 DC Gmen Fan said:
Quote:
what makes Beltran a great candidate? He just stopped playing.


I think in today's baseball,your second sentence answers your first. It's not the baseball I've known, a guy getting coaching experience in the minors,coaching in the majors before being offered a managerial position.Seems teams want a manager who is part of the decision making conglomerate,open to using the conglomerate's analytics & is able to relate to today's players. So,Beltran just retiring,being a part of the Yankees in 2015-16,knowing the younger players serves as a positive rather than the negative we might have looked at it as in the past!
RE: Changing the subject a bit  
TheMick7 : 12/1/2017 9:12 am : link
In comment 13715927 rich in DC said:
Quote:
Today is the contract tender deadline. Obviously guys like Warren, Betances, Grey, Kahnle, Gregorius and Hicks get tendered.

I think there is a strong chance that Romine gets non-tendered.

What about Shreve? At this point, he is almost a forgotten man in the back of the pen. Do the Yanks want to pay him nearly $1M and risk that he reverts to 2016 performance, or worse yet- that he is just average and takes innings away from more talented young relievers?

IMO, were I Cashman, I would non-tender Romine and Shreve and use that money to work on the bench.


If they weren't going to tender Romine & Shreve,I doubt they would have been kept on the 40 man. Plus,neither one is going to break the bank
Davidoff just posted that Cashman said that all of the  
TheMick7 : 12/1/2017 9:15 am : link
players are being tendered.
.  
Danny Kanell : 12/1/2017 9:28 am : link
Iíd almost be surprised at this point if it isnít Beltran.
I have no problem  
Enzo : 12/1/2017 9:28 am : link
with moving on from Girardi...but I thought for sure they had someone in mind already when they let him go. I think you can do better than Girardi, but you can also do a lot worse.
RE: RE: Changing the subject a bit  
rich in DC : 12/1/2017 9:29 am : link
In comment 13715943 TheMick7 said:
Quote:
In comment 13715927 rich in DC said:


Quote:


Today is the contract tender deadline. Obviously guys like Warren, Betances, Grey, Kahnle, Gregorius and Hicks get tendered.

I think there is a strong chance that Romine gets non-tendered.

What about Shreve? At this point, he is almost a forgotten man in the back of the pen. Do the Yanks want to pay him nearly $1M and risk that he reverts to 2016 performance, or worse yet- that he is just average and takes innings away from more talented young relievers?

IMO, were I Cashman, I would non-tender Romine and Shreve and use that money to work on the bench.



If they weren't going to tender Romine & Shreve,I doubt they would have been kept on the 40 man. Plus,neither one is going to break the bank


Its not about the $$.

It is about what they offer to the 2018 Yankees against what other players can offer. If they come up short against other options, you cannot and should not keep them on the roster.

Just as an example, if the Yanks believe that Kyle Higashioka offers more as a backup C than Romine, then Romine should not be tendered a contract.

Another example- if the Yanks believe that Heller, Holder and Cessa are ahead of Shreve on the depth chart, then Shreve should not be given a contract.

Quite simply, the Yanks WILL have to open up more roster spots going forward- IF Otani signs, they will need a spot. If they bring back CC or Todd Frazier, they will need a spot.

Something else to remember with both Shreve and Romine- they have both used up their options. In other words, if either one plays badly in 2018, they can't be optioned to the minors without being taken off the 40 man roster and exposed to waivers.

Better to get new guys who have options to maintain roster flexibility.
I thought Pedrique deserved an interview. He groomed all of these  
Victor in CT : 12/1/2017 9:30 am : link
kids at AAA and did a good job. He should at least have been given a chance.
based off what Teixeira said  
Greg from LI : 12/1/2017 9:34 am : link
The players like and respect Girardi. He's a good man and a solid manager. However, he's a pretty intense dude, and as Tex described it, playing for him got to be a real grind. Playing for the Yankees has its own innate pressure. While I'm not the biggest Joe Torre fan in the world, what he did really well was defuse the tension and the pressure. From what Teixeira said, Girardi kind of amplified the pressure and tension.
It will be Beltran  
averagejoe : 12/1/2017 9:36 am : link
Zero experience and a Cashman puppet. Ridiculous choice but that is where my money is.
Beltran with Woodward  
blue2 : 12/1/2017 9:39 am : link
as bench coach is my hope.
RE: RE: RE: Changing the subject a bit  
TheMick7 : 12/1/2017 9:44 am : link
In comment 13715980 rich in DC said:
Quote:
In comment 13715943 TheMick7 said:


Quote:


In comment 13715927 rich in DC said:


Quote:


Today is the contract tender deadline. Obviously guys like Warren, Betances, Grey, Kahnle, Gregorius and Hicks get tendered.

I think there is a strong chance that Romine gets non-tendered.

What about Shreve? At this point, he is almost a forgotten man in the back of the pen. Do the Yanks want to pay him nearly $1M and risk that he reverts to 2016 performance, or worse yet- that he is just average and takes innings away from more talented young relievers?

IMO, were I Cashman, I would non-tender Romine and Shreve and use that money to work on the bench.



If they weren't going to tender Romine & Shreve,I doubt they would have been kept on the 40 man. Plus,neither one is going to break the bank



Its not about the $$.

It is about what they offer to the 2018 Yankees against what other players can offer. If they come up short against other options, you cannot and should not keep them on the roster.

Just as an example, if the Yanks believe that Kyle Higashioka offers more as a backup C than Romine, then Romine should not be tendered a contract.

Another example- if the Yanks believe that Heller, Holder and Cessa are ahead of Shreve on the depth chart, then Shreve should not be given a contract.

Quite simply, the Yanks WILL have to open up more roster spots going forward- IF Otani signs, they will need a spot. If they bring back CC or Todd Frazier, they will need a spot.

Something else to remember with both Shreve and Romine- they have both used up their options. In other words, if either one plays badly in 2018, they can't be optioned to the minors without being taken off the 40 man roster and exposed to waivers.

Better to get new guys who have options to maintain roster flexibility.


Cashman also told Davidoff that he really "likes the way Romine handles pitchers". Seems the front office is very happy to have a backup C who, they believe, is solid defensively.I think if they are able to sign Ohtani,Romine will see less time catching as the DH spot won't always be an option for Sanchez. Shreve,on the other hand,IMO,has outlived his usefulness & I'd love to see them pursue another loogy this off-season!
RE: Beltran with Woodward  
TheMick7 : 12/1/2017 9:46 am : link
In comment 13716005 blue2 said:
Quote:
as bench coach is my hope.


Don't think Woodward has enough experience & hasn't been a manager. Beltran said that if he got the job, he'd need to have an experienced former manager as his bench coach.Wedge could be that guy.
is it customary  
GentleGiant : 12/1/2017 9:48 am : link
to not interview the AAA coach because he's a known quantity or is Pedrique really out of the running? Why not give him a year to see if he can work the same magic in the big league he works in AAA. Every time I watched those videos he's teaching players how to play the game, that's what the Yankees need. As talented as these young players are they really don't know the game. Hell, some of the vets don't either. I want a Tom Kelly type, who teaches 10 year vets new things.
Hard for me to be objective here.  
bceagle05 : 12/1/2017 9:49 am : link
Beltranís been one of my favorite players for the past 20 years - I kinda hope he gets it, though Bam Bam has stronger credentials. If itís either of those two, Iím happy.
If you read Beltranís conference call quotes  
bceagle05 : 12/1/2017 9:51 am : link
he sure sounded like a guy confident he was getting the job.
RE: If you read Beltranís conference call quotes  
BigBlueShock : 12/1/2017 10:01 am : link
In comment 13716034 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
he sure sounded like a guy confident he was getting the job.

I could be wrong of course, but to me itís also telling that Cashman ended the interview process immediately after Beltran interviewed.
RE: It will be Beltran  
BigBlueShock : 12/1/2017 10:03 am : link
In comment 13715998 averagejoe said:
Quote:
Zero experience and a Cashman puppet. Ridiculous choice but that is where my money is.

Iíll go ahead and trust Cashman over a guy named averagejoe on a message board. To call it ďridiculousĒ is hysterical considering you know absolutely nothing about Beltran and what he has to offer. Iím going to go out on a limb and say that you just donít like Cashman. Which is ďridiculousĒ in its own right after what heís done recently.
Have a strange feeling  
viggie : 12/1/2017 10:05 am : link
Beltran with Terry Collins as bench coach. lol
When Ned Yost has a World Series ring  
bceagle05 : 12/1/2017 10:06 am : link
there really is no such thing as a "ridiculous" choice.

RE: RE: If you read Beltranís conference call quotes  
section125 : 12/1/2017 10:09 am : link
In comment 13716048 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 13716034 bceagle05 said:


Quote:


he sure sounded like a guy confident he was getting the job.


I could be wrong of course, but to me itís also telling that Cashman ended the interview process immediately after Beltran interviewed.


Maybe, but Beltran may have been the last person he wanted to talk to. Meulens might still be the guy, but maybe Cash wanted to hear from Beltran because he is sharp, well liked, respected and a fresh face.

To me, Meulens seems to have the chops, organizational experience, bench coach, multi-lingual, youngish, with pro experience. Seems to have very good resume and meets what Cash said he was looking for.
RE: is it customary  
Gatorade Dunk : 12/1/2017 10:16 am : link
In comment 13716028 GentleGiant said:
Quote:
to not interview the AAA coach because he's a known quantity or is Pedrique really out of the running? Why not give him a year to see if he can work the same magic in the big league he works in AAA. Every time I watched those videos he's teaching players how to play the game, that's what the Yankees need. As talented as these young players are they really don't know the game. Hell, some of the vets don't either. I want a Tom Kelly type, who teaches 10 year vets new things.

It's possible that with so much talent still in the pipeline, they'd prefer to keep Pedrique in the developmental role that he has shown a lot of success doing at AAA.
If it's Beltran  
Kyle in NY : 12/1/2017 10:22 am : link
I'd keep Rob Thomson on as bench coach. Will important to have an experienced coach next to a rookie manager
I  
mitch300 : 12/1/2017 10:49 am : link
Expect Muelins and Beltran to be 2 of the 3 that gets a interview with Hal. I just hope Wedge is not one of them. Regarding the AAA coach, I believe he is over 60 and the Yanks want to get someone younger.
RE: I  
TheMick7 : 12/1/2017 11:02 am : link
In comment 13716210 mitch300 said:
Quote:
Expect Muelins and Beltran to be 2 of the 3 that gets a interview with Hal. I just hope Wedge is not one of them. Regarding the AAA coach, I believe he is over 60 and the Yanks want to get someone younger.


Pedrique is 57,Muelens is 51
I read somewhere that Muelens speaks Japanese.  
Ace718 : 12/1/2017 11:05 am : link
Could that be one of the deciding factors?
Cashman says Ohtani can pitch and hit for the Yankees  
Heisenberg : 12/1/2017 11:05 am : link
.
Meulens speaks a bit of Japanese from playing over there  
Greg from LI : 12/1/2017 11:08 am : link
But he's not fluent or anything.

Al Pedrique is not going to manage the Yankees. Regardless of whether you think he's a good candidate, the plain fact of the matter is that he's never gotten another chance in 13 years after his first shot at managing in MLB. If he hasn't gotten one by now, it's not going to happen.
RE: RE: It will be Beltran  
averagejoe : 12/1/2017 11:10 am : link
In comment 13716054 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 13715998 averagejoe said:


Quote:


Zero experience and a Cashman puppet. Ridiculous choice but that is where my money is.


Iíll go ahead and trust Cashman over a guy named averagejoe on a message board. To call it ďridiculousĒ is hysterical considering you know absolutely nothing about Beltran and what he has to offer. Iím going to go out on a limb and say that you just donít like Cashman. Which is ďridiculousĒ in its own right after what heís done recently.


But a guy named Big Blue Schlong has credibility ? Actually I like Cashman very much. His work as a GM has been miraculous the last two years. But I think becoming de-facto mgr might be a little too much for him. I do know something about Beltran. He has never managed or coached anywhere. That is a fact. If he is the choice I believe it is fair to view him as Cashman's puppet.
Cashman on Ohtani:  
bceagle05 : 12/1/2017 11:12 am : link
"Ohtani represents the next great talent that's available in baseball and the New York stage is made for players like this."
RE: I read somewhere that Muelens speaks Japanese.  
rich in DC : 12/1/2017 1:37 pm : link
In comment 13716265 Ace718 said:
Quote:
Could that be one of the deciding factors?


No, his Japanese is almost certainly little more than basic phrases.

I think that Meulens would be a solid choice- but that the Yanks should bring in a guy who can be a strong presence on the bench without overruling him- an X's and O's type of guy with a lot of years in the dugout.

I would hope that Beltran at least gets a coaching role out of all this. Maybe hitting coach or 1st base coach. 1st base might be good- Beltran was noted for his work with fast young players on basestealing reads and study.

I think that maybe a staff with some young "up and coming" coaches might be a good idea.
This has to be good news for Carlos, right?  
bceagle05 : 12/1/2017 2:02 pm : link
Quote:
Mark Feinsand‏Verified account @Feinsand

According to a source, a clear front-runner emerged from the six candidates for the Yankees' managerial job. That could explain why a second round of interviews with Hal Steinbrenner is unnecessary. Still no timetable on a hire.


There was a gap between the first five interviews and Beltran (granted, Thanksgiving was a factor), and now there will be no more interviews and no second round with Hal.
Gut feeling  
Greg from LI : 12/1/2017 2:05 pm : link
It's going to either be Woodward or Meulens. I can't imagine the Yankees are going to hire Boone or Beltran with zero coaching experience. This is the Yankees, not the Brewers - there's no time for training wheels in the Bronx. I also refuse to believe that Eric Wedge was a serious candidate.
I still can't get over them reaching out to Oakland about Melvin.  
bceagle05 : 12/1/2017 2:08 pm : link
WTF was that about? Wedge, Melvin, Aaron Boone - Cashman marches to his own beat.
Back to the Corner