Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Yanks talk 12-06

superspynyg : 12/6/2017 10:17 am
Ok so we are snubbed by Otahni. We still have Tanaka, Severino, Gray, with Montgomery and Adams possibly in the mix. I would still like to add a pitcher. I am not as high on a one year deal for CC as our first choice. I would like to see if we can get Cobb or Lynn for our 4th. CC as a one year is not bad but I want someone locked up for multiple years.

As for our new manager, I am not sold on Boone. He has zero coaching experience. But what's done is done so welcome back Aaron Boone. My question is will there be changes to the coaching staff? Will he bring back Pena, Cockrell?? Rothchild is already confirmed back. There is also talk about Carlos Mendoza and Reggie Willits as coaches. Any thoughts??

We also have over 3 mil in international money. Our top two choices are gone. Who is left?? If we do not use it (or all of it) does it roll over to next season?

There is still former Braves  
Jay on the Island : 12/6/2017 10:20 am : link
Yunior Severino. He has been compared to Robinson Cano if he fulfills his promise.
And supposedly they want Green to enter Spring Training  
Matt M. : 12/6/2017 10:22 am : link
as a starter. It will be interesting what they do with him if he doesn't make the rotation.
RE: And supposedly they want Green to enter Spring Training  
superspynyg : 12/6/2017 10:27 am : link
In comment 13727340 Matt M. said:
Quote:
as a starter. It will be interesting what they do with him if he doesn't make the rotation.


Good point I would say it would be a battle for the 5th spot out of Green, Montgomery and Adams. That should be fun to watch this spring.
Wonder  
mitch300 : 12/6/2017 10:32 am : link
When they will announce the rest of the coaching staff. More importantly who the bench coach will be. Maybe during the press conference?
I'd like to see some of the international money go towards a  
Del Shofner : 12/6/2017 10:54 am : link
catcher, obviously one in the developmental stage. I think one of the Braves' now-free-agents is a C. Obviously Sanchez is great but there's not much in the pipeline at that position. Romine is Romine and I'm not sold on Higgy at the MLB level.
International money does not roll over  
Stan in LA : 12/6/2017 11:22 am : link
Use it be the deadline or lose it. Cashman said the other day that he would use all of it.
When adding a pitcher  
Kyle in NY : 12/6/2017 11:22 am : link
why lock yourself into multiple years for a decent, but not great starter? Especially with better players set to hit the market in the coming years. Both Cobb and Lynn have extensive injury histories. Cobb has thrown more than 170 innings once in his career. Pitching starved teams are sure to outbid us, and that's fine by me

CC makes sense because of the short term nature of a potential deal. Not to mention the important role he has on a young team, plus he can still get it done on the mound.

There are a lot of pitchers on their way up through the system too, besides the big names in Adams and Sheffield. Sure some will burn out, but there is quantity and quality. No need to pay big in this market.
Green's not a starter. He just isn't.  
Greg from LI : 12/6/2017 11:27 am : link
9 starts, 2-4, 6.10 ERA, 12! HR in 38 innings. Adam Warren has much more experience and success as a starter - 21 starts, 3.88 ERA.
RE: Green's not a starter. He just isn't.  
Heisenberg : 12/6/2017 11:31 am : link
In comment 13727476 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
9 starts, 2-4, 6.10 ERA, 12! HR in 38 innings. Adam Warren has much more experience and success as a starter - 21 starts, 3.88 ERA.


His HR rate as a starter in the majors is not reflected in his performance in the minors. It's worth seeing if he can be a stud starter.
There are no "stud starters" with just a fastball  
Greg from LI : 12/6/2017 11:45 am : link
He doesn't even have much of a second pitch, let alone a third.
RE: RE: Green's not a starter. He just isn't.  
NoGainDayne : 12/6/2017 12:31 pm : link
In comment 13727490 Heisenberg said:
Quote:
In comment 13727476 Greg from LI said:


Quote:


9 starts, 2-4, 6.10 ERA, 12! HR in 38 innings. Adam Warren has much more experience and success as a starter - 21 starts, 3.88 ERA.



His HR rate as a starter in the majors is not reflected in his performance in the minors. It's worth seeing if he can be a stud starter.


I think that's what Green wants and with his performance it's good for his morale to give him a shot. Not a big deal to move a starter to the bullpen so as I see it no reason not to give him a shot at starting in spring training and maybe a few starts in the regular season and then move him back to the bullpen if he doesn't do well.

I recall the announcers in many broadcasts saying that Green very much views himself as a starter. A few bad starts seems like a small price to pay to keep a good relationship with a top line reliever.
Green had two absolutely dominant starts in 2016....  
Tesla : 12/6/2017 12:56 pm : link
and some duds thrown in there as well. His slider is very effective and I've seen him throw a pretty good change up. His profile is not that different from where Severino was going into 2017. My biggest concern is actually that he runs a lot of deep counts.

Odds are he ends up back in the bullpen, but it's definitely possible he could end up being a very good starter.
RE: I'd like to see some of the international money go towards a  
Jay on the Island : 12/6/2017 2:59 pm : link
In comment 13727409 Del Shofner said:
Quote:
catcher, obviously one in the developmental stage. I think one of the Braves' now-free-agents is a C. Obviously Sanchez is great but there's not much in the pipeline at that position. Romine is Romine and I'm not sold on Higgy at the MLB level.

Too late the Phillies already signed C Abrahan Gutierrez.
RE: RE: I'd like to see some of the international money go towards a  
Del Shofner : 12/6/2017 5:22 pm : link
In comment 13728016 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 13727409 Del Shofner said:


Quote:


catcher, obviously one in the developmental stage. I think one of the Braves' now-free-agents is a C. Obviously Sanchez is great but there's not much in the pipeline at that position. Romine is Romine and I'm not sold on Higgy at the MLB level.


Too late the Phillies already signed C Abrahan Gutierrez.


I guess that's the guy I was thinking of - too bad.
I like Cobb. But  
section125 : 12/6/2017 5:39 pm : link
If it comes down to CC for 1 yr or Cobb for 4, give me CC. He is what you see. A hard nosed vet. He knows how to pitch.

But I really like Cobb.
Also  
mitch300 : 12/6/2017 6:01 pm : link
Don't discount CC presence in the clubhouse. Boone said today he would like to have CC back.
CC is a nice story but lets move on  
xman : 12/6/2017 10:08 pm : link
club house will manage without the big guys presence and his certain injury. Go young young young

Green has the best fastball whiffs per swing ratio in the majors . Also throws a slider . Last years role didn't require him to throw nor develop a change up. Lets see this spring if he can transition. Long shot;huge upside. If he fails Sheffield and Adams are champing at the bit
I'd rather have CC back on an one or two year deal than giving  
Jim in Hoboken : 12/6/2017 10:25 pm : link
someone like Cobb a 4yr/60M deal.

You have Tanaka, Gray, Severino, Montgomery, and hope that CC can keep the seat warm until someone like Adams or Sheffield establishes themselves. I know you can't have too much pitching, but the help is on the way. CC is the perfect bridge.
I'd go the other way...land Cobb, or someone else who is a competent  
yatqb : 12/6/2017 10:47 pm : link
innings eating starter, and if there's money for CC great, go with a 6 man rotation. Otherwise, stay with 5 and wait for Adams, Sheffield or any of the other kids to step up...at some point in the year we're gonna need another starter or two anyhow.
remember when Sevy had only a FB and we bickered over  
RasputinPrime : 12/6/2017 11:35 pm : link
whether he could start?

Let Green have a shot at taking the spot in the rotation from CC. If he can't, he can't.
RE: remember when Sevy had only a FB and we bickered over  
yatqb : 12/6/2017 11:44 pm : link
In comment 13728500 RasputinPrime said:
Quote:
whether he could start?

Let Green have a shot at taking the spot in the rotation from CC. If he can't, he can't.


I think he's more valuable in the pen. He's lights out there. I don't value Warren nearly as much, and it's important to have a guy in middle relief that can give you 2 innings at any time and allow the team to escape from a jam. Those guys keep you in games.

Now, maybe Heller or Holder or another of the kids can become that guy for us, and if so, great. But otherwise I'd rather Green stay in the pen.
RE: RE: remember when Sevy had only a FB and we bickered over  
RasputinPrime : 12/7/2017 1:40 am : link
In comment 13728502 yatqb said:
Quote:
In comment 13728500 RasputinPrime said:


Quote:


whether he could start?

Let Green have a shot at taking the spot in the rotation from CC. If he can't, he can't.



I think he's more valuable in the pen. He's lights out there. I don't value Warren nearly as much, and it's important to have a guy in middle relief that can give you 2 innings at any time and allow the team to escape from a jam. Those guys keep you in games.

Now, maybe Heller or Holder or another of the kids can become that guy for us, and if so, great. But otherwise I'd rather Green stay in the pen.


I don't disagree on Green but he deserves a shot, we need competition for the rotation, and we have a stocked BP already. With about 4-6 guys who could take his spot in the BP to start the season i'd prefer to dangle the carrot for the young man.
Mariners, Angels add $1M apiece from Twins to pursue Shohei Ohtani  
RasputinPrime : 12/7/2017 1:43 am : link
I cannot believe these teams are at the finish line for Ohtani.
^^^^  
Del Shofner : 12/7/2017 2:19 am : link
I don't pretend to know his mind, but based on what's been reported about his thinking, I'm not surprised that the Mariners and Angels are the finalists. I'm guessing Mariners, but that's just a guess.
RE: ^^^^  
Milton : 12/7/2017 4:07 am : link
In comment 13728523 Del Shofner said:
Quote:
I don't pretend to know his mind, but based on what's been reported about his thinking, I'm not surprised that the Mariners and Angels are the finalists. I'm guessing Mariners, but that's just a guess.
Yup, they are two west coast teams in the American League. The A's were a third option, but I guess they didn't put together a competitive presentation.
RE: RE: And supposedly they want Green to enter Spring Training  
BC Eagles94 : 12/7/2017 9:03 am : link
In comment 13727354 superspynyg said:
Quote:
In comment 13727340 Matt M. said:


Quote:


as a starter. It will be interesting what they do with him if he doesn't make the rotation.



Good point I would say it would be a battle for the 5th spot out of Green, Montgomery and Adams. That should be fun to watch this spring.


Barring any injuries, I'd be real surprised to see Green move from his dominant bullpen position or Adams make big league roster out of spring training. Adams isn't on the 40 man and Montgomery just had a great rookie season. And I would think they'll certainly bring in an established vet to fill the 4th spot, most likely CC on a 1 year deal.
RE: RE: ^^^^  
BC Eagles94 : 12/7/2017 9:10 am : link
In comment 13728530 Milton said:
Quote:
In comment 13728523 Del Shofner said:


Quote:


I don't pretend to know his mind, but based on what's been reported about his thinking, I'm not surprised that the Mariners and Angels are the finalists. I'm guessing Mariners, but that's just a guess.

Yup, they are two west coast teams in the American League. The A's were a third option, but I guess they didn't put together a competitive presentation.


A's are just a pitiful franchise, you simply can't choose to go there. Seattle and A's made most sense to me once Yanks were eliminated for whole west coast preference. NL just makes no sense for this guy to truly pursue being a dual threat. Does he want to be another Madison Bumgarner or another Babe Ruth?
RE: RE: RE: And supposedly they want Green to enter Spring Training  
rich in DC : 12/7/2017 9:36 am : link
In comment 13728642 BC Eagles94 said:
Quote:
In comment 13727354 superspynyg said:


Quote:


In comment 13727340 Matt M. said:


Quote:


as a starter. It will be interesting what they do with him if he doesn't make the rotation.



Good point I would say it would be a battle for the 5th spot out of Green, Montgomery and Adams. That should be fun to watch this spring.



Barring any injuries, I'd be real surprised to see Green move from his dominant bullpen position or Adams make big league roster out of spring training. Adams isn't on the 40 man and Montgomery just had a great rookie season. And I would think they'll certainly bring in an established vet to fill the 4th spot, most likely CC on a 1 year deal.


I would not rule out Green as a SP.

Remember that Severino was a force out of the bullpen in 2015 and many questioned the Yanks decision to have him prep to be a SP in 2016. That decision was the correct one, as the Yanks now appear to have a true #1 SP in Severino.

Green does not have Severino's velocity (though few do), but his FB is a good one. If he can develop his 2 secondary pitches, then his upside is very high.

Worst case, Green does not win a SP job, but comes out of spring training ready for multi-inning outings. Best case, he has a Severino-like emergence and the Yanks have one of the best rotations around.

As an aside, Adams is not on the roster simply because he is not eligible to be drafted in Rule 5. The Yanks had to scramble to make space for the guys they did want to protect- and will still lose some very good prospects in the Rule 5 draft. It would not have made sense to add someone when there was no need to- at the expense of another player.

There are certainly guys who can easily be traded or dropped if the Yanks believe Adams can be their 5th SP next spring. Mitchell is the first that comes to mind- but others like Cessa, Shreve, even Romine could be space-making options.

Finally, CC would be useful IF the Yanks don't want Green in the rotation and they don't think that the young arms are ready. The problem is that he probably would not be needed for a full season. It might not be a good PR look to let him go or deal him in the middle of a season. Better to let FA do its work and let him find work elsewhere.
had the years wrong for Severino  
rich in DC : 12/7/2017 9:37 am : link
Should have been 2016 and 2017
Green's gonna turn 27 next spring  
Greg from LI : 12/7/2017 9:46 am : link
It's a bit late for him to develop not one but two secondary pitches. And he never dominated the minors the way Severino did despite not starting his minor league career at an age when Severino was already in the big leagues.

Hey, go ahead, give him the shot. Not a big deal. I'm not someone who always wants everyone to stay in the pen - I said often last offseason that not giving Severino another chance at starting would be a mistake.

I'm just not expecting anything to come from it.

Back to the Corner