Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Didnít Realize This

burtmanjack : 1/6/2018 1:24 am
Interesting.
Gettleman - ( New Window )
Billy Graham Evangelical Association?  
WillVAB : 1/6/2018 1:46 am : link
Come on dude.
I feel like his chosen faith is a pretty personal thing. Is it really  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/6/2018 1:50 am : link
something to be discussed or opined on?
RE: I feel like his chosen faith is a pretty personal thing. Is it really  
burtmanjack : 1/6/2018 2:30 am : link
In comment 13774589 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
something to be discussed or opined on?


Absolutely when - like DG - heís mentioned it voluntarily in multiple interviews and public contexts since his hiring, including but not limited to his introductory press conference, and the Serby interview pinned above.
RE: Billy Graham Evangelical Association?  
burtmanjack : 1/6/2018 2:31 am : link
In comment 13774588 WillVAB said:
Quote:
Come on dude.


Def not a source I typically refer to, but DG did give the interview and the comments are straight from the horseís mouth.
Mildly interesting, to the extent it provides any insight...  
Big Blue Blogger : 1/6/2018 4:59 am : link
...into Gettlemanís approach to life and his job. Obviously, heís welcome to worship in any way that gives him peace. And itís not as though John Mara claimed to have hired a Jewish GM.

The scholarly gripe with Messianic Judaism goes to the heart of Gettlemanís conversion story. He says he was persuaded that Jesus matched Hebrew prophesy too closely for it to be a coincidence. Heís right that itís not a coincidence. No serious biblical scholar would call it that. The question has long been whether the similarities have more to with the way the Gospels were written and codified than the life story of the historical Jesus.

By the way, I can see how Shmuley Boteach might make Christianity look like an appealing alternative. Michael Brown could have found a more worthy debate opponent, for a whole raft of reasons.

Anyway, regardless of his path, Iím glad our GM has found comfort.
To each, his own. As long as someone doesn't try to push  
Ira : 1/6/2018 5:23 am : link
his ideas on others, I have no problem respecting his path to God.
Good posts  
Jay in Toronto : 1/6/2018 6:28 am : link
Yes, Boteach would not be the person I would select to represent my faith either. And the shaping of sacred texts to match agendas certainly has plenty of precedents.

Ira, you are bang on. Messianic 'Jews' and other Messianic Christians are especially problematic in their proselytizing. He apparently is not. It's sad that he believes that his parents can't get to heaven, which he clearly believes in, because of their faith. I also thought it interesting that in the Post interview Jesus was someone he wanted to meet. Many Jews find alot of his preaching compelling as other 'prophets'. This adds a fuller explanation.
RE: Good posts  
Antonio Fierce : 1/6/2018 8:21 am : link
In comment 13774627 Jay in Toronto said:
Quote:
Yes, Boteach would not be the person I would select to represent my faith either. And the shaping of sacred texts to match agendas certainly has plenty of precedents.

Ira, you are bang on. Messianic 'Jews' and other Messianic Christians are especially problematic in their proselytizing. He apparently is not. It's sad that he believes that his parents can't get to heaven, which he clearly believes in, because of their faith. I also thought it interesting that in the Post interview Jesus was someone he wanted to meet. Many Jews find alot of his preaching compelling as other 'prophets'. This adds a fuller explanation.


Most Jews don't believe in heaven or hell so I doubt his parents care much.
Amazing story  
Blue21 : 1/6/2018 9:53 am : link
.
RE: RE: Good posts  
Phil S : 1/6/2018 11:32 am : link
In comment 13774658 Antonio Fierce said:
Quote:
In comment 13774627 Jay in Toronto said:


Quote:


Yes, Boteach would not be the person I would select to represent my faith either. And the shaping of sacred texts to match agendas certainly has plenty of precedents.




Most Jews don't believe in heaven or hell so I doubt his parents care much.


You are saying most Jews don't follow their faith. There certainly is a Jewish belief in heaven and hell.
Funny how the brain worksÖ  
Seventh Spiel : 1/6/2018 11:39 am : link
I read this thread and immediately began hearing in my mind the song lyric "gonna go to the place that's the best." Couldn't remember the song so I googled it. "Spirit in the Sky," by Norman Greenbaum, of course. Song written by a guy whose Wikipedia entry says "was and remains an observant Jew" about believing in Jesus and going to heaven.

I think itís great.  
Josiah31 : 1/6/2018 12:27 pm : link
If I remember right, Reese, and Coughlin were both Christians too. I like how the giants hire people with faith. Itís why they run a business with integrity.
RE: I think itís great.  
adamg : 1/6/2018 12:35 pm : link
In comment 13774911 Josiah31 said:
Quote:
If I remember right, Reese, and Coughlin were both Christians too. I like how the giants hire people with faith. Itís why they run a business with integrity.


What an ignorant comment
Why?  
Josiah31 : 1/6/2018 12:45 pm : link
Because I point out the fact that an anctusl genuine Christian hs good qualities? Not saying other people donít.
RE: Why?  
adamg : 1/6/2018 12:48 pm : link
In comment 13774931 Josiah31 said:
Quote:
Because I point out the fact that an anctusl genuine Christian hs good qualities? Not saying other people donít.


Talk to the pederists of faith how much integrity they were gifted with by having so much piety.

And you are implying that people without faith have less integrity.
No I didnít  
Josiah31 : 1/6/2018 12:56 pm : link
I simply stated that someone with genuine faith will have integrity. It wasnít a knock on people without faith, but I praise for people with.
RE: No I didnít  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 1/6/2018 1:51 pm : link
In comment 13774941 Josiah31 said:
Quote:
I simply stated that someone with genuine faith will have integrity. It wasnít a knock on people without faith, but I praise for people with.


Yes you did.

Saying that hiring a Christian leads to integrity in the organization comes with the implication that others would not lead to the same place.

I was wondering why he said "The good Lord"  
jcp56 : 1/6/2018 2:23 pm : link
a few times during his press conference. I assumed he was Jewish, and found it strange that he used that phrase.
Josiah31: Aside from all the other problems with your reasoning...  
Big Blue Blogger : 1/6/2018 2:59 pm : link
...you seem to believe that that Giants discriminate in hiring on the basis of religion. If the organization really does flout Title VII, a lot of us would like to know about it so we can find another team to root for.
RE: I was wondering why he said  
burtmanjack : 1/6/2018 3:19 pm : link
In comment 13775032 jcp56 said:
Quote:
a few times during his press conference. I assumed he was Jewish, and found it strange that he used that phrase.



Exactly why I Googled it.
A persons spiritual life is his own business. Gettleman was a searcher  
plato : 1/6/2018 6:09 pm : link
and thinks he's found his place and his savior. I'm happy for him. Now regardless of his beliefs he needs to not proselytize the players, or Tisch, and if he can save the Giants from the shit place they're in and win a championship in my lifetime I'll be happy.

By the way, Spags was a bit of a Catholic Evangelical and I heard noone discussing his religious life here.

Gut Shabbes und a gut woch.
Back to the Corner