Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Big Blue View’s first mock draft of the 2018 draft season...

M.S. : 1/7/2018 4:23 pm
...show's how we can have our cake and eat it, too!

Giants trade out of the 2-hole with Denver (who takes Josh Rosen).

Giants move down 3 slots to #5 and gets Denver's second round pick and "future considerations."

Gotta think the Giants get a little more than that going from #2 to #5... but who gives a shit?

At #5 the Giants select Baker Mayfield. (Sign me up).

In second round, Giants use their own selection (#34) for Jamarco Jones (OT/Ohio State) and use Denver's section (#37 for Nick Chubb (RB, Georgia).

In third Round, Giants use their own selection (66th) for Rashaan Evans LB, Alabama).

2018 NFL Draft: New year, new GM, new mock draft — Big Blue View’s first mock draft of 2018 - ( New Window )
Evans  
uncledave : 1/7/2018 4:25 pm : link
in the third is laughable
Baker Mayfeild..  
dancing blue bear : 1/7/2018 4:25 pm : link
UGGGGG

outta the frying pan and into the fire
I don't mind that scenario.  
LauderdaleMatty : 1/7/2018 4:29 pm : link
Not really sold On any of the QBs as can't miss. Wouldn't want to slide back More than that
I'd  
AcidTest : 1/7/2018 4:29 pm : link
be stunned if we took Mayfield, even after a trade down.
Evans is my favorite LB in the draft  
Earl the goat : 1/7/2018 4:34 pm : link
He will go late first or early second. Never makes it to the third
...  
Jay on the Island : 1/7/2018 4:34 pm : link
I would love that draft. We get our QB, LT, and RB to team with Gallman.
No  
Archer : 1/7/2018 4:48 pm : link
With the players available in the draft I would be disappointed if the Giants selected any of those players
Also if they traded down they have to a boat load of picks
Not sure  
sharpshooter66 : 1/7/2018 4:52 pm : link
How Evans makes it to the third, but if we get Jones and Chubb in the second thats a win. Baker Mayfield has bust written all over him.. Can you say Tim Tebow(ish)?
The Broncos 2nd and future considerations?  
Boy Cord : 1/7/2018 4:52 pm : link
Giants will get a hell of a lot more than future considerations.
This doesn't make sense  
eclipz928 : 1/7/2018 4:53 pm : link
It assumes that the Giants think Baker Mayfield is worth the #5 pick but the Broncos don't.
RE: The Broncos 2nd and future considerations?  
yankeeslover : 1/7/2018 4:53 pm : link
In comment 13776801 Boy Cord said:
Quote:
Giants will get a hell of a lot more than future considerations.


Add in next years 1st and then we can start talking.
RE: Not sure  
bLiTz 2k : 1/7/2018 4:56 pm : link
In comment 13776800 sharpshooter66 said:
Quote:
How Evans makes it to the third, but if we get Jones and Chubb in the second thats a win. Baker Mayfield has bust written all over him.. Can you say Tim Tebow(ish)?


That’s a pretty terrible comparison..they are not even remotely the same kind of player. Could you elaborate?
So Wait  
lax counsel : 1/7/2018 4:57 pm : link
Josh Rosen is good enough for elway and a Denver team that needs a qb just like the giants, but he's not good enough for this team. Instead we trade down and take a short qb with a questionable arm, who plays in a simple one read offense. Ok got it, so we're all good with perpetual 7-9/8-8 seasons. Where do I sign-up!
Don't want Mayfield  
GFAN52 : 1/7/2018 4:58 pm : link
in a trade down. Dropping to 6 is too low.
RE: So Wait  
bLiTz 2k : 1/7/2018 4:59 pm : link
In comment 13776810 lax counsel said:
Quote:
Josh Rosen is good enough for elway and a Denver team that needs a qb just like the giants, but he's not good enough for this team. Instead we trade down and take a short qb with a questionable arm, who plays in a simple one read offense. Ok got it, so we're all good with perpetual 7-9/8-8 seasons. Where do I sign-up!


Maybe. Teams value players completely different. How did Elway do evaluating QBs thus far?
RE: RE: So Wait  
lax counsel : 1/7/2018 5:07 pm : link
In comment 13776817 bLiTz 2k said:
Quote:
In comment 13776810 lax counsel said:


Quote:


Josh Rosen is good enough for elway and a Denver team that needs a qb just like the giants, but he's not good enough for this team. Instead we trade down and take a short qb with a questionable arm, who plays in a simple one read offense. Ok got it, so we're all good with perpetual 7-9/8-8 seasons. Where do I sign-up!



Maybe. Teams value players completely different. How did Elway do evaluating QBs thus far?


Just stop. How many top 5 picks has Elway had? He took a flyer on a late 1st round qb. Top qb picks, even can't miss ones, are a gamble, but, once you get out of the top 5 or 10 picks, the hit rate on these guys are even less. Stop with Mayfield, stop with Keenum, stop with Webb. The Giants have a top 2 pick with two top qb prospects on the board. They will not get this chance again probably for a long time. Even if they do, there's no guarantee there's a qb that's any good. Could be like the 2017 draft, could be like Nassib/Geno Smith draft.

Hopefully the conversation shifts to a more serious one about which of Darnold/Rosen is the pick and if the Giants brass wants to trade UP to get their guy.
We are not going to give up the 2nd pick  
montanagiant : 1/7/2018 5:08 pm : link
to move back 3 spots and only get a 2nd round pick for doing it. That would be almost as bad as when Minnesota missed their 1st round pick (7th pick) by letting time run out
I think your wrong  
NikkiMac : 1/7/2018 5:09 pm : link
About one read offense for Mayfield ,actually he runs a full field read option which he has to go through his reads and checkdowns a little different I’d say.....
The first of 50!  
ZogZerg : 1/7/2018 5:11 pm : link
I see Denver picking up a proven vet. Not trying another Rookie.
RE: RE: RE: So Wait  
bLiTz 2k : 1/7/2018 5:18 pm : link
In comment 13776838 lax counsel said:
Quote:
In comment 13776817 bLiTz 2k said:


Quote:


In comment 13776810 lax counsel said:


Quote:


Josh Rosen is good enough for elway and a Denver team that needs a qb just like the giants, but he's not good enough for this team. Instead we trade down and take a short qb with a questionable arm, who plays in a simple one read offense. Ok got it, so we're all good with perpetual 7-9/8-8 seasons. Where do I sign-up!



Maybe. Teams value players completely different. How did Elway do evaluating QBs thus far?



Just stop. How many top 5 picks has Elway had? He took a flyer on a late 1st round qb. Top qb picks, even can't miss ones, are a gamble, but, once you get out of the top 5 or 10 picks, the hit rate on these guys are even less. Stop with Mayfield, stop with Keenum, stop with Webb. The Giants have a top 2 pick with two top qb prospects on the board. They will not get this chance again probably for a long time. Even if they do, there's no guarantee there's a qb that's any good. Could be like the 2017 draft, could be like Nassib/Geno Smith draft.

Hopefully the conversation shifts to a more serious one about which of Darnold/Rosen is the pick and if the Giants brass wants to trade UP to get their guy.


Slow your role there sweet cheeks. If the conversation of the Giants potentially NOT taking one of Darnold/Rosen bothers you, than maybe go outside for a little while and stay off the forums...

Secondly, theres no guarantee that either of THOSE guys will pan out either. Lets see what happens as the draft comes closer, but of course there will be teams where Darnold and Rosen may not even be 1 and 2 QBs on their draft board. Thats reality.
RE: We are not going to give up the 2nd pick  
Eman11 : 1/7/2018 5:23 pm : link
In comment 13776844 montanagiant said:
Quote:
to move back 3 spots and only get a 2nd round pick for doing it. That would be almost as bad as when Minnesota missed their 1st round pick (7th pick) by letting time run out


Agreed. It'd be more like swapping this year's 1's and getting their #2 this year and next year's 1and either their 2 or 3.

If they did go back to 5, I'd want either Nelson or Fitzpatrick. I think one or both are there at 5.
Bottom line is that if the Giants want one of these QBs  
eclipz928 : 1/7/2018 5:27 pm : link
they're going to take him at #2, not #5.

The only scenario it makes sense for the Broncos to trade up is if Browns pass on a QB at #1 and look intent on getting one at #4.
RE: RE: So Wait  
madgiantscow009 : 1/7/2018 5:27 pm : link
In comment 13776817 bLiTz 2k said:
Quote:
In comment 13776810 lax counsel said:


Quote:


Josh Rosen is good enough for elway and a Denver team that needs a qb just like the giants, but he's not good enough for this team. Instead we trade down and take a short qb with a questionable arm, who plays in a simple one read offense. Ok got it, so we're all good with perpetual 7-9/8-8 seasons. Where do I sign-up!



Maybe. Teams value players completely different. How did Elway do evaluating QBs thus far?


he was spot on with his Peyton evaluation.
RE: So Wait  
BillT : 1/7/2018 5:29 pm : link
In comment 13776810 lax counsel said:
Quote:
Josh Rosen is good enough for elway and a Denver team that needs a qb just like the giants, but he's not good enough for this team. Instead we trade down and take a short qb with a questionable arm, who plays in a simple one read offense. Ok got it, so we're all good with perpetual 7-9/8-8 seasons. Where do I sign-up!

Except none of this is true about Mayfield. He’s excellent at going though his progressions, looking off safeties and the like. His arm is strong enough to make ‘all the throws” and he is very accurate. He knows how to buy time and it’s always to first make the throw not run for positive yards.
RE: RE: So Wait  
lax counsel : 1/7/2018 5:58 pm : link
In comment 13776898 BillT said:
Quote:
In comment 13776810 lax counsel said:


Quote:


Josh Rosen is good enough for elway and a Denver team that needs a qb just like the giants, but he's not good enough for this team. Instead we trade down and take a short qb with a questionable arm, who plays in a simple one read offense. Ok got it, so we're all good with perpetual 7-9/8-8 seasons. Where do I sign-up!


Except none of this is true about Mayfield. He’s excellent at going though his progressions, looking off safeties and the like. His arm is strong enough to make ‘all the throws” and he is very accurate. He knows how to buy time and it’s always to first make the throw not run for positive yards.


I disagree, I've watched a lot of him, Webb, Rosen, and Darnold. He's throwing to a lot of open receivers on read one. Nonetheless, I do not understand all of the infatuation with trading down. If the GM thinks mayfield is the guy, just take him at 2. Why risk losing him?
The Giants are not drafting  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 1/7/2018 6:07 pm : link
Baker Mayfield PERIOD. Especially at 5 or even 2. Giants like prototypical size.
Thats a poor job  
Sy'56 : 1/7/2018 6:19 pm : link
by whoever made that mock
RE: Thats a poor job  
montanagiant : 1/7/2018 6:23 pm : link
In comment 13776986 Sy'56 said:
Quote:
by whoever made that mock
It's lazy also. Predicting a Giants trade back and claims they will do so for a 2nd rd pick and "future" considerations" WTF is that and how ridiculous to think that would get the 2nd pick of the draft?
Two points toard critiquing that mock...  
Torrag : 1/7/2018 6:30 pm : link
*We'd get back a lot more than the swap, a 2nd, and 'future considerations'. The market for these picks in recent years hs been established. It includes Denver's #1 pick in the 2019 Draft automatically or the deal is dead in the water.

*IF teh proper compensation can be reached with the broncos we'd then Draft Allen at #5...not Mayfield.
RE: Two points toard critiquing that mock...  
baadbill : 1/7/2018 7:21 pm : link
In comment 13777008 Torrag said:
Quote:
*We'd get back a lot more than the swap, a 2nd, and 'future considerations'. The market for these picks in recent years hs been established. It includes Denver's #1 pick in the 2019 Draft automatically or the deal is dead in the water.

*IF teh proper compensation can be reached with the broncos we'd then Draft Allen at #5...not Mayfield.


Your argument is that Denver's #1 pick in 2019 is worth more than Denver's 2nd round pick (#37 overall) in 2018. But that 2019 pick has to be discounted by the fact it is one full draft away PLUS nobody knows whether it will turn out to be the #1 or #32 overall pick or where inbetween. So, my question is - what is your basis for your argument that Denver's unknown position in the first round of 2019 is worth more than Denver's #2 in 2018 (the 5th pick - #37 overall) ?
RE: Two points toard critiquing that mock...  
Eman11 : 1/7/2018 7:24 pm : link
In comment 13777008 Torrag said:
Quote:
*We'd get back a lot more than the swap, a 2nd, and 'future considerations'. The market for these picks in recent years hs been established. It includes Denver's #1 pick in the 2019 Draft automatically or the deal is dead in the water.

*IF teh proper compensation can be reached with the broncos we'd then Draft Allen at #5...not Mayfield.


Disagree on your 2nd point. If the Giants like one of the QB's they're taking him at 2,IMO. They're not going to trade back and risk someone else taking him.

If they do trade back it's because they aren't in love with one of the QBs and will in all likelihood take a position player, and stockpile the picks.
If the Giants trade down  
guy in nc : 1/7/2018 8:09 pm : link
to Denver and we decide to build from the lines out, would the Giants pick OT McGlinchey and try to pick up RB Chub with their #2. This means they are happy with Eli and Webb and would look to WR, LB, CB in the next few rounds. If they do this, they need Denver's #1 next year in addition to 3, 4 an 5 this year.
Wouldn't be shocked  
Marty866b : 1/7/2018 8:14 pm : link
If Evans was drafted before Mayfield.
RE: If the Giants trade down  
Eman11 : 1/7/2018 8:17 pm : link
In comment 13777267 guy in nc said:
Quote:
to Denver and we decide to build from the lines out, would the Giants pick OT McGlinchey and try to pick up RB Chub with their #2. This means they are happy with Eli and Webb and would look to WR, LB, CB in the next few rounds. If they do this, they need Denver's #1 next year in addition to 3, 4 an 5 this year.


Nelson at G goes way higher than McGlinchey. I don't even think he's one of the top 3 OT's in the draft and would be surprised to see him go top 15.
That deal  
old man : 1/7/2018 8:47 pm : link
has more holes than Swiss cheese.
Unless future considerations is Denver's '19 and '20 first rd pick.
Then maybe.
But it wont be Mayfield, not interested in Chubb-RB, and Evans in the 3rd?(a bong in his hand on draft day pic?)
RE: Evans  
barens : 1/7/2018 11:12 pm : link
In comment 13776729 uncledave said:
Quote:
in the third is laughable


And laughable is being generous. That guy is a top 10 talent.
I don't mind trading down....  
BillKo : 1/8/2018 1:48 pm : link
but not for that compensation mentioned.

Nor, picking Mayfield.

I just don't see him translating fully to the NFL.
Back to the Corner