Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: SpaceX malfunction

Dave in PA : 1/9/2018 12:42 am
Classified spy satellite is reportedly destroyed as it failed to separate during stage 2 of the most recent Falcon 9 launch. Could be worth billion$. Wonder if this impacts SpaceX at all, not just from a liability standpoint but confidence in defense contracts going forward.
Where are you reading this?  
BH28 : 1/9/2018 12:49 am : link
Everything I've read pointed to an issue with the satellite itself.
Link  
Dave in PA : 1/9/2018 12:50 am : link
.
U.S. Spy Satellite Believed Lost After SpaceX Mission Fails - ( New Window )
Still a lot of details outstanding  
Dave in PA : 1/9/2018 12:56 am : link
And the mission was carrying classified information so Iím not sure how or if that will impede the release of further information. Not necessarily SpaceXís fault, but it doesnít look great for them. I guess when you strap something to a freakin rocket you canít always expect things to go perfectly.
And Spacex said the falcon 9 preformed nominally  
BH28 : 1/9/2018 12:59 am : link
It could have been an issue with the satellite itself, nothing to do with spacex. Since the mission was classified, we may never know.

Read this article, so either spacex is lying, or the issue was with with Northrop's payload adaptor.
Link - ( New Window )
RE: And Spacex said the falcon 9 preformed nominally  
Dave in PA : 1/9/2018 1:16 am : link
In comment 13779622 BH28 said:
Quote:
It could have been an issue with the satellite itself, nothing to do with spacex. Since the mission was classified, we may never know.

Read this article, so either spacex is lying, or the issue was with with Northrop's payload adaptor. Link - ( New Window )
good article, much better than the WSJ one. I have no reason to doubt SpaceX if they say the rocket performed itís duties as intended. Interestingly, I could see this going in two different ways. Either SpaceX is at fault and ULA gets a major competitive victory, or SpaceX proves that not only have they got this rocket launching thing down but verifiably do it better, in total, than the government at a fraction of the cost.

Iím rooting for Musk. I donít give a damn about colonizing Mars, but I think heís got some really good ideas in the battery/solar arena.
Edit  
Dave in PA : 1/9/2018 1:24 am : link
Northrop is obviously not the government, but either way SpaceXís in house hardware/software appear to be superior
Maybe itís a stealth satellite  
Jim in Fairfax : 1/9/2018 9:03 am : link
And Strategic Command is blowing smoke for the Russians benefit.
It's the Russians ....  
Beer Man : 1/9/2018 9:55 am : link
or those pesky Aliens.
FakeX will die a slow death  
ArcadeSlumlord : 1/9/2018 10:14 am : link
mark my words.
RE: FakeX will die a slow death  
Dave in PA : 1/9/2018 11:41 am : link
In comment 13779871 ArcadeSlumlord said:
Quote:
mark my words.
well they donít have a lot of competition domestically and they are doing this at a greatly reduced cost so unless they have multiple catastrophic mishaps, I donít see it.
So SpaceX says the F9 performed properly.  
Sarcastic Sam : 1/9/2018 12:01 pm : link
Northrup says they can't comment.

Space Track reports a new object in orbit, but NORAD says there are no new objects to track.

An interesting situation, to say the least.
Hmmm... yes malfunction.....  
smshmth8690 : 1/9/2018 3:53 pm : link
musk  
mdc1 : 1/9/2018 5:53 pm : link
a really funny diagram lifeline of his failures that go back to 90's when Netscape would not hire him. I do not care what he does as long as it does not have US taxpayer dollars attached to it. He should rename SpaceX to failure to launch.
hmmmm  
giantfan2000 : 1/9/2018 6:17 pm : link
Quote:
. I do not care what he does as long as it does not have US taxpayer dollars attached to it


what an odd thing to say
-- literally every space company in US gets taxpayer money via government contracts and funding ..
since the primary customer is US government and US military

is there some rule that certain companies should not be allowed to get taxpayer money ? and can you give me an example of a company that doesn't get taxpayer money in one form or another ?
RE: hmmmm  
mdc1 : 1/9/2018 6:48 pm : link
In comment 13780708 giantfan2000 said:
Quote:


Quote:


. I do not care what he does as long as it does not have US taxpayer dollars attached to it



what an odd thing to say
-- literally every space company in US gets taxpayer money via government contracts and funding ..
since the primary customer is US government and US military

is there some rule that certain companies should not be allowed to get taxpayer money ? and can you give me an example of a company that doesn't get taxpayer money in one form or another ?


not odd, he is fuck using corporate welfare. And he is not the only one.
RE: RE: hmmmm  
Sarcastic Sam : 1/9/2018 10:04 pm : link
In comment 13780729 mdc1 said:
Quote:
In comment 13780708 giantfan2000 said:


Quote:




Quote:


. I do not care what he does as long as it does not have US taxpayer dollars attached to it



what an odd thing to say
-- literally every space company in US gets taxpayer money via government contracts and funding ..
since the primary customer is US government and US military

is there some rule that certain companies should not be allowed to get taxpayer money ? and can you give me an example of a company that doesn't get taxpayer money in one form or another ?



not odd, he is fuck using corporate welfare. And he is not the only one.


Bullshit.

SpaceX is providing launch services at a fraction of the rate of other launch providers. They have a very successful commercial launch manifest. They are providing cargo and crew deliveries to the ISS at a significant discount compared to other providers.

SpaceX is saving the taxpayers money, not the other way around.
Mdc1 doesn't mind corporate welfare  
Modus Operandi : 1/10/2018 4:00 am : link
Particularly when it's given away for free. But when this "corporate welfare" comes in the form of a government contract for services rendered to a guy who's politics he doesn't care for - mdc1 will never stand for that commie shit.

To summarize:

- A $1 trillion tax cut given to wealthy companies already drowning is cash reserves = stable geniousity

- Affordable Care Act = socialism

- A multi billion dollar wall along our southern border = sound immigration policy

- Public broadcasting = Fake news. Even Sesame Street.
Or...  
Modus Operandi : 1/10/2018 4:05 am : link
We can continue paying the Russians $20 million or more to launch our satellites and send our scientists up to the ISS.
Hell, if you want to count beans...  
Sarcastic Sam : 1/10/2018 6:44 am : link
Launching a payload from the US, you have the following options:
- Delta II (effectively retired), Delta IV (impending retirement), and heinously expensive.
- Atlas V... which requires Russian engines.
- Antares... limited capability, and requires Russian engines.
- SLS... which has limited purpose, and has cost over $18 billion so far without a single launch.
- SpaceX, which was developed primarily with private funds, and whose costs for equivalent service are significantly lower than the competition.

I don't see the corporate welfare here. NASA has said that SpaceX developed the Falcon 9 at less than 20% of what NASA could have developed the rocket for using traditional contracts.

And it's not just NASA that will save money. The USAF will be launching the next gen GPS III satellites on the Falcon in the coming years.
SpaceX is an odd one to complain about  
giants#1 : 1/10/2018 7:59 am : link
since virtually every company in that field is heavily subsidized by the USG. Blue Origins might be the lone exception, but I'm not sure they've even conducted unmanned space station cargo missions yet.

Tesla on the other hand is probably one of the worst examples of corporate welfare, especially since they primarily make subsidized luxury cars for the rich (Model S and X). Even the few Model 3s built to-date are primarily for the wealthy or at least upper middle class costing in the high-30s even after the $7500 credit and being more of a "2nd car" for families due to the limited range.
RE: Mdc1 doesn't mind corporate welfare  
section125 : 1/10/2018 8:13 am : link
In comment 13780987 Modus Operandi said:
Quote:
Particularly when it's given away for free. But when this "corporate welfare" comes in the form of a government contract for services rendered to a guy who's politics he doesn't care for - mdc1 will never stand for that commie shit.

To summarize:

- A $1 trillion tax cut given to wealthy companies already drowning is cash reserves = stable geniousity

- Affordable Care Act = socialism

- A multi billion dollar wall along our southern border = sound immigration policy

- Public broadcasting = Fake news. Even Sesame Street.


What part of no political postings do you not understand? Rules don't apply to your agenda?
make on topic  
giantfan2000 : 1/10/2018 11:07 am : link
interesting that Space X is pushing back hard that something happen with their rocket
the fact that SpaceX haven't delayed their current launch schedule suggests that they are confident nothing happened on their end

but this quote
Quote:
A November article in Wired revealed the payload adapter for this rocket was constructed by Northrop Grumman too. According to the LA Times a spokesperson for Grumman declined to provide an explanation and said, ďThis is a classified mission. We cannot comment on classified missions.Ē

SpaceX claims malfunctioning rocket worked just as it was supposed to - ( New Window )
RE: RE: Mdc1 doesn't mind corporate welfare  
Modus Operandi : 1/10/2018 11:58 am : link
In comment 13781053 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 13780987 Modus Operandi said:


Quote:


Particularly when it's given away for free. But when this "corporate welfare" comes in the form of a government contract for services rendered to a guy who's politics he doesn't care for - mdc1 will never stand for that commie shit.

To summarize:

- A $1 trillion tax cut given to wealthy companies already drowning is cash reserves = stable geniousity

- Affordable Care Act = socialism

- A multi billion dollar wall along our southern border = sound immigration policy

- Public broadcasting = Fake news. Even Sesame Street.



What part of no political postings do you not understand? Rules don't apply to your agenda?


I'm responding to a guy who pollutes abd politicizes every thread he participates in, and yet remains unscathed during the crackdowndown by the powers that be.
Back to the Corner