Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Collins on Belichick in NY Post

CBoss7 : 1/9/2018 7:24 pm
Collins on Belichick: "The way he runs his organization, Iíve been through that process. I donít like it,Ē Collins said. ďItís too strict. Ö. Heís a great winner, heís a great coach. I donít know if [his style] is what the organization really wants.

ďI talked to guys who played for [his] team. They love winning, but at the same time, they donít want to be on the team.Ē

Saw one thread on this article with no mention of the quote. I get that Saban probably worked Collins ragged but jeez...
Link - ( New Window )
I love Collins.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 1/9/2018 7:26 pm : link
But he sounds like an idiot there. In short, 'Yeah, Belichick wins, but it sucks playing for him.'

Uh, winning is all that matters in this business.
Players want it both ways  
UConn4523 : 1/9/2018 7:27 pm : link
Canít really blame them.
He needs to STFU  
Joey in VA : 1/9/2018 7:27 pm : link
Already.
hey landon...  
mphbullet36 : 1/9/2018 7:28 pm : link
you just had a softy coach and it tanked the team. Shut your mouth and you would be so lucky to play for on of the best coaches in NFL history...
This fucking team  
Go Terps : 1/9/2018 7:29 pm : link
.
The more he speaks  
StingerProf : 1/9/2018 7:33 pm : link
The less I like him. He would rather lose with Mac than win with a tough coach. Okay......
.  
Brian in Hoboken : 1/9/2018 7:33 pm : link
He also repeatedly talked about how great of a coach McAdoo was, and said recently the Giants should draft a WR at number 2. How can anyone even take what he says seriously?
Also, Collins strikes me as someone who would love playing under BB.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 1/9/2018 7:34 pm : link
Collins gives a damn. He plays injured. He doesn't bitch.

Just a weird comment.
RE: Also, Collins strikes me as someone who would love playing under BB.  
UConn4523 : 1/9/2018 7:35 pm : link
In comment 13780779 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
Collins gives a damn. He plays injured. He doesn't bitch.

Just a weird comment.


I think what he was trying to say came out wrong. But leave it to BBI to hate him for it.
I bet Collins believes the earth is flat  
DennyInDenville : 1/9/2018 7:36 pm : link
I gotta think before giving this idiot a big contract ..

Heck of a player tho
Words probly came out wrong  
DennyInDenville : 1/9/2018 7:37 pm : link
I'm gonna give Collins a pass..

But that was a dumb statement damn..
He likes guys playing half assed & fighting each other.  
RottenApple : 1/9/2018 7:41 pm : link
A true leader.
RE: RE: Also, Collins strikes me as someone who would love playing under BB.  
MetsAreBack : 1/9/2018 7:44 pm : link
In comment 13780781 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 13780779 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:


Quote:


Collins gives a damn. He plays injured. He doesn't bitch.

Just a weird comment.



I think what he was trying to say came out wrong. But leave it to BBI to hate him for it.



Yeah its BBI's fault Collins put out a completely unnecessary, incoherent and potentially damaging (unlikely, but you never know) quote.

It may have come out wrong... we're just reacting to ... you know... what was actually said.

He also piled on Apple at the end of the year, which only fanned the flames, and was again.. unproductive and unnecessary... but hey, he's the elected team leader of the defense I hear so whatever.
...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/9/2018 7:44 pm : link
This is the kind of rot that can infect an organization. It's why it was so hard for the Giants to get out of the problem of the 1960s and 1970s for so long. Ray Perkins started the cleansing process that Parcells finished. In a way, Coughlin had to do it too, but to a lesser extent.

I remember after 1983 when Parcells went 3-12-1, he simply purged the roster. I think there was something like 20-25 first or second year players on team (and this was in the days before the 53-man roster so literally half the team).
RE: ...  
micky : 1/9/2018 7:52 pm : link
In comment 13780792 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
This is the kind of rot that can infect an organization. It's why it was so hard for the Giants to get out of the problem of the 1960s and 1970s for so long. Ray Perkins started the cleansing process that Parcells finished. In a way, Coughlin had to do it too, but to a lesser extent.

I remember after 1983 when Parcells went 3-12-1, he simply purged the roster. I think there was something like 20-25 first or second year players on team (and this was in the days before the 53-man roster so literally half the team).


team needs a major purge like then..1983.

if not, the rot will infect this team for a bit more
RE: ...  
Go Terps : 1/9/2018 7:52 pm : link
In comment 13780792 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
This is the kind of rot that can infect an organization. It's why it was so hard for the Giants to get out of the problem of the 1960s and 1970s for so long. Ray Perkins started the cleansing process that Parcells finished. In a way, Coughlin had to do it too, but to a lesser extent.

I remember after 1983 when Parcells went 3-12-1, he simply purged the roster. I think there was something like 20-25 first or second year players on team (and this was in the days before the 53-man roster so literally half the team).


This is one of the stupidest, least likable Giants teams I can remember. With very, very few exceptions they should overturn the roster at every opportunity.

I said it when it was clear Reese and McAdoo were on the way out: the problems with this team did not leave with those two guys.
RE: RE: RE: Also, Collins strikes me as someone who would love playing under BB.  
UConn4523 : 1/9/2018 7:57 pm : link
In comment 13780790 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
In comment 13780781 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


In comment 13780779 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:


Quote:


Collins gives a damn. He plays injured. He doesn't bitch.

Just a weird comment.



I think what he was trying to say came out wrong. But leave it to BBI to hate him for it.




Yeah its BBI's fault Collins put out a completely unnecessary, incoherent and potentially damaging (unlikely, but you never know) quote.

It may have come out wrong... we're just reacting to ... you know... what was actually said.

He also piled on Apple at the end of the year, which only fanned the flames, and was again.. unproductive and unnecessary... but hey, he's the elected team leader of the defense I hear so whatever.


Do what you want man I donít care. Most of this board is incredibly irrational and takes things like this quote as gospel. Itís actually pretty funny seeing everyoneís reactions, itís like clockwork.

Collins sucks, heís no longer a good player and I hope we donít pay him. Sound about right?
Collins can thank Saban for his big paycheck taught him a lot  
big canoe jeff : 1/9/2018 7:59 pm : link
Sounds like Nick really pushed him and now heís spent
2028 headline: 30- something Landon Collins  
SHO'NUFF : 1/9/2018 7:59 pm : link
signs with Belichick and the Patriots for that ever elusive championship ring.
Collins is a good player who does  
OBJXIII : 1/9/2018 8:00 pm : link
His part, but lately he has been talking about things he really has no business doing. Your team was the most embarrassing in the league. Humble yourself and work harder next year. Please stop talkin.
He is starting to cross over the line  
EricJ : 1/9/2018 8:21 pm : link
.
A guy finally speaks the truth  
joeinpa : 1/9/2018 8:23 pm : link
As opposed to the rote answers we normally get: I find it refreshing.

I don t think his competitive spirit should be questioned
I say let Collins and Apple  
Bill in UT : 1/9/2018 8:25 pm : link
battle to the death, then cut the winner
who cares  
blueblood : 1/9/2018 8:27 pm : link
The Giants arent getting Saban or BC
So he doesn't care about winning  
ZogZerg : 1/9/2018 8:34 pm : link
He needs to stop doing interviews...
.  
arcarsenal : 1/9/2018 8:34 pm : link
Didn't he say something equally stupid about Saban?

I love Lando, but enough. Just shut up and leave these decisions to people in the front office.

Hopefully whoever we hire gets through to these guys.
In other words...  
bw in dc : 1/9/2018 8:36 pm : link
Collins would prefer to have Jim Fassel return. And revive those wonderful Club Med days...
Its bullshit  
LauderdaleMatty : 1/9/2018 8:46 pm : link
Any player who really wants out of NE doesn't have to do much. Walk up to Bill and tell him you don't want to be there. I'm pretty sure that guy wont be around long.

Seen it for years A lot like a people who talk shit about their job but never quit or have the balls to say something to management.

Collins is still young and immature a bit too. I'll give him a bit of a pass From all we've seen he's a hard worker. Good teammate. But its just silly? I don't want to play for one of the greatest football minds ever because he's not going to sit down with us and make us all feel valued. OK Bill B will somehow survive without your endorsement Landon. Now go on vacation
What Go Terps said.....  
Red Dog : 1/9/2018 8:49 pm : link
This team really does need a wholesale turnover. The Reese / Ross / McAdouche rot has to be erased completely.
RE: Words probly came out wrong  
Modus Operandi : 1/9/2018 8:55 pm : link
In comment 13780784 DennyInDenville said:
Quote:
I'm gonna give Collins a pass..

But that was a dumb statement damn..


Think what you'd like about Collins comments, but folks with your posting history, not to mention adults who write shit like "probly", probly shouldn't be calling others out for intelligence.
Here come the  
est1986 : 1/9/2018 9:40 pm : link
Criticizing an athlete's choice of words.. WHO FUCKING CARES? At the end of the day players don't pick what coach they play for unless they are free agents.. Who cares if he wouldn't want to play for Belichick. Does that automatically make him a loser, no. You can let it upset you, stress you, and keep you up at night all you want, I don't see the big deal.
Collins may have a point here  
BlackLight : 1/9/2018 9:49 pm : link
It may not be as simple as guys "not wanting to be yelled at." There's a way to be a hardass coach, and there's a way not to be one. At least post-2006, Coughlin appeared to have figured it out. He would climb up guy's asses when they weren't doing their job, but he would never not treat them like men.

If Saban can't relate to grown millionaires other than to treat them like college kids, he's going to have a problem. Not just here, but pretty much anywhere. And if you think that's the players' fault, ask yourself how much you'd like a boss who treated you that way?
RE: Collins may have a point here  
DonQuixote : 1/9/2018 10:33 pm : link
In comment 13780911 BlackLight said:
Quote:
It may not be as simple as guys "not wanting to be yelled at." There's a way to be a hardass coach, and there's a way not to be one. At least post-2006, Coughlin appeared to have figured it out. He would climb up guy's asses when they weren't doing their job, but he would never not treat them like men.

If Saban can't relate to grown millionaires other than to treat them like college kids, he's going to have a problem. Not just here, but pretty much anywhere. And if you think that's the players' fault, ask yourself how much you'd like a boss who treated you that way?


^this.

I'd also like to add that there is such a thing as a player's coach, a coach that players like playing for. One could make the argument that a "players coach" is not what we need right now, I don't know, but you can't really criticize a player for wanting a "player's coach".
RE: Collins may have a point here  
LauderdaleMatty : 1/9/2018 10:34 pm : link
In comment 13780911 BlackLight said:
Quote:
It may not be as simple as guys "not wanting to be yelled at." There's a way to be a hardass coach, and there's a way not to be one. At least post-2006, Coughlin appeared to have figured it out. He would climb up guy's asses when they weren't doing their job, but he would never not treat them like men.

If Saban can't relate to grown millionaires other than to treat them like college kids, he's going to have a problem. Not just here, but pretty much anywhere. And if you think that's the players' fault, ask yourself how much you'd like a boss who treated you that way?


But heís not talking about his old coach. Heís saying Bill B is too much for his taste. That would have been ok. Thatís him
Amd thatís not the issue to me.

He then goes on to make the claim that players donít want to be in New England. They donít want to play there due to the coach. That is just unprovable and stupid.

Certainly players most likely donít love that they minute they deemed expendable they will get likely get released by Belichick. Shit heís done it recently w Collins And Jones.

But Collins is making a large Sweeping charge the infers itís a bad place to play from most of the guys there. How many can he know well enough to even have that conversation. Itís a
Stupid to make that generalization. He was out of line
Once he went that direction IMO.
RE: RE: Collins may have a point here  
BlackLight : 1/10/2018 12:01 am : link
In comment 13780936 LauderdaleMatty said:
Quote:


But heís not talking about his old coach. Heís saying Bill B is too much for his taste. That would have been ok. Thatís him
Amd thatís not the issue to me.

He then goes on to make the claim that players donít want to be in New England. They donít want to play there due to the coach. That is just unprovable and stupid.

Certainly players most likely donít love that they minute they deemed expendable they will get likely get released by Belichick. Shit heís done it recently w Collins And Jones.

But Collins is making a large Sweeping charge the infers itís a bad place to play from most of the guys there. How many can he know well enough to even have that conversation. Itís a
Stupid to make that generalization. He was out of line
Once he went that direction IMO.


I could be wrong, but I doubt that Collins was just making blind suppositions. Speaking for myself, I know precisely zero NFL players. But being an NFL player (and a well-regarded one to boot) it's possible Collins knows several. Cyrus Jones was his teammate at Alabama for two years - now he plays for New England. It's completely plausible that they talk. Aside from that, there's no reason to assume that he's never had conversations with guys who play for the Patriots or did previously.


It doesn't mean he's right. Belichick is definitely an outlier in that guys who want to win Super Bowls might be perfectly willing to endure his personality and play for him. The test is not how players respond when the team's winning. It's how they respond when the team's losing. It just so happens that New England hasn't done very much of that in the last 16 years or so.
Well, I guess he has a right to speak his mind  
8 Ball : 1/10/2018 12:25 am : link
about Sabanís process if in retrospect he feels it was too strict, but man is it super douchy to say that on the day that Saban is getting his team ready to play for yet another natty, and Landon would later be standing on the sidelines probably wearing his own championship ring.

Could be the mommy thing with him as well, since his mom was furious that he chose Bama over LSU. His mom is probably constantly telling him that he made a mistake.
Heíll come around...  
trueblueinpw : 1/10/2018 12:38 am : link
LC needs take a few months off from the media. My guess is that LC doesnít need a coach to push him because heís already pushing himself. And thatís fine for LC. But other guys need to be pushed and the right coach will teach this to Collins and then teach him how to push his teammates. Reese was a weasel and McAdíoh just didnít have any experience and was too arrogant to get any help. Theyíre gone but the new guys are going to get LC and the rest of this team going in the right direction. LC should be a terrific player for the Giants. Like a bunch of other guys on this team he just needs a good coach.
this guy really needs to shut up, tune out and get off the grid for  
Victor in CT : 1/10/2018 8:29 am : link
a while. And study the old saying:

"tis better to keep one's mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

What an idiot.

[ ]
[ ]}}}}}
[ S.T.F.U ] }
[ ]}}}}}
[_____________________]


apologies for my pathetic attempt at art work.  
Victor in CT : 1/10/2018 8:29 am : link
supposed to be a big cup of S.T.F.U.
Wonder how Collins' experience under Saban  
EmpireWF : 1/10/2018 8:38 am : link
is part of his feelings towards Bellichick.
I'd be interested..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/10/2018 8:38 am : link
to understand the complete context.

Belicheck does have some criticisms from former players of his about his style and handling of the team. For the most part, players understand that you take that winning and the pains that come with it you withstand because of the winning, but if you aren't one of Bill's guys (just like if you weren't one of Parcells' guys), it can be really difficult.

I think the difference with the Pats is that they really haven't had any down years, so there's no time for issues to fester or rise to the top. Losing will bring that out.

But it still isn't a really good thing for Collins to comment on, especially coming off the year we had and the shitshow he was a part of.
Really starting to dislike the NFL on the whole  
BlueHurricane : 1/10/2018 9:03 am : link
And I despise this current team. Very hard to have the passion I used to have for it. Spoiled, entitled babies make up this team.

"I don't want to play for the most successful coach in the history of the game"

Does this guy have a clue what he sounds like?

How long until pitchers and catchers.
RE: Really starting to dislike the NFL on the whole  
Victor in CT : 1/10/2018 9:06 am : link
In comment 13781116 BlueHurricane said:
Quote:
And I despise this current team. Very hard to have the passion I used to have for it. Spoiled, entitled babies make up this team.

"I don't want to play for the most successful coach in the history of the game"

Does this guy have a clue what he sounds like?

How long until pitchers and catchers.


well put.
BFD,  
section125 : 1/10/2018 9:09 am : link
so the guy doesn't like playing for a ball buster coach - meaning a caustic SOB. Nobody liked playing for Lombardi either. If they win, the players will tolerate it. Some players didn't like playing for Parcells either. How many hated playing for Coughlin? Best RB in Giants history quit because of Coughlin (and turned out to be a jerk anyway.)
It works when you win. Causes severe problems when you don't.

However, player friendly coaches rarely work as we all know - or they don't last long. Fine line being tough enough to extract that last ounce of ability without alienating the player Parcells was good at that, and I suspect BB is also.
RE: BFD,  
Ryan in Albany : 1/10/2018 9:20 am : link
In comment 13781136 section125 said:
Quote:
so the guy doesn't like playing for a ball buster coach - meaning a caustic SOB. Nobody liked playing for Lombardi either. If they win, the players will tolerate it. Some players didn't like playing for Parcells either. How many hated playing for Coughlin? Best RB in Giants history quit because of Coughlin (and turned out to be a jerk anyway.)
It works when you win. Causes severe problems when you don't.

However, player friendly coaches rarely work as we all know - or they don't last long. Fine line being tough enough to extract that last ounce of ability without alienating the player Parcells was good at that, and I suspect BB is also.


If he doesn't like playing for a "ball-buster coach" fine. Keep your mouth shut about such things. You have to be really stupid to say something like that to the press.
RE: RE: RE: Collins may have a point here  
BigBlueinChicago : 1/10/2018 9:34 am : link
In comment 13780967 BlackLight said:
Quote:
The test is not how players respond when the team's winning. It's how they respond when the team's losing.


And if you watched New York Giants 2017, we clearly saw the team responded to losing.

RE: RE: RE: RE: Collins may have a point here  
BlackLight : 1/10/2018 1:14 pm : link
In comment 13781186 BigBlueinChicago said:
Quote:
In comment 13780967 BlackLight said:


Quote:


The test is not how players respond when the team's winning. It's how they respond when the team's losing.



And if you watched New York Giants 2017, we clearly saw the team responded to losing.


Correct. And that wasn't how they responded to losing when we had bad seasons under Coughlin. Which speaks to my point about there being a right way to be a hardass coach, and a wrong way to be one.
Next time the Giants play the Pats  
CT Charlie : 1/10/2018 7:33 pm : link
Collins should expect to see some aggressive pick plays and downfield blocks. Ernie Adams has already filed the quote.
I still can't understand the stupidity of this comment from Collins  
Go Terps : 1/10/2018 8:08 pm : link
If you wouldn't want to play for, possibly, the greatest coach in the history of the sport and as a result compete for championships every year, what does that say about you as a competitor? Collins is a really good player but fuck this is getting old with this team.

I hope this is a question in the Giants' interview process. What will each candidate do to ensure that the players approach the game with a professional attitude? What will they do to make sure that each aspect of the game (practice, health, study, the games, and everything in between) is treated by each player with professionalism?

I'm pretty sure it's Rich Seubert who said that this is a job: if you want to have fun go be a clown.

Go be a fucking clown.
The roster needs  
moespree : 1/10/2018 9:48 pm : link
A Bill Parcells post 1983 like purge. A bunch of worthless dead weight. Jerry and Ross sure did assemble a great group of winners.
Back to the Corner