Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Anyone use Sling TV?

B in ALB : 1/10/2018 3:47 pm
I gotta get rid of this Time Warner Spectrum bullshit. These guys are fucking criminals. I don't watch any of these bullshit channels - 800+ of total nonsense.

My main reason for Sling TV is they have this quasi a la carte program that is significantly less pricey and apparently the YES Network is included for us Yankees fans in their Blue package.

Any experiences with Sling would be great. Tia.
...  
GP : 1/10/2018 3:50 pm : link
Playstation Vue worked great for me and it included YES Network. Only real bummer was no MSG. Broadcast stations you can get with an antenna, although CBS6 was available via Vue in Albany. FOX/ABC/NBC available 'On Demand' through Vue.
RE: ...  
B in ALB : 1/10/2018 3:51 pm : link
In comment 13781899 GP said:
Quote:
Playstation Vue worked great for me and it included YES Network. Only real bummer was no MSG. Broadcast stations you can get with an antenna, although CBS6 was available via Vue in Albany. FOX/ABC/NBC available 'On Demand' through Vue.


I looked at Vue as well but didn't see that YES was included.
Thinking about cutting the cord myself.  
chopperhatch : 1/10/2018 3:51 pm : link
Live in Philly and am considering streaming alternatives. Heard a lot about these different platforms, but my main concern is losing the ability to watch the sports I want to watch. My roommate and I both watch a ton of different stuff.

Also heard about Sony TV?

Any expertise on this stuff would be appreciated.
RE: Thinking about cutting the cord myself.  
chopperhatch : 1/10/2018 3:52 pm : link
In comment 13781901 chopperhatch said:
Quote:
Live in Philly and am considering streaming alternatives. Heard a lot about these different platforms, but my main concern is losing the ability to watch the sports I want to watch. My roommate and I both watch a ton of different stuff.

Also heard about Sony TV?

Any expertise on this stuff would be appreciated.


Vue is what I meant.
RE: RE: ...  
GP : 1/10/2018 3:55 pm : link
In comment 13781900 B in ALB said:
Quote:
In comment 13781899 GP said:


Quote:


Playstation Vue worked great for me and it included YES Network. Only real bummer was no MSG. Broadcast stations you can get with an antenna, although CBS6 was available via Vue in Albany. FOX/ABC/NBC available 'On Demand' through Vue.



I looked at Vue as well but didn't see that YES was included.


Unless something changed in the past month, I had YES since April 2016 with Vue Core. I recently switched to Spectrum to save 15 bucks for a year with a "please come back to us" offer, but fully plan on switching back to Vue once that 12 month period ends.
RE: RE: RE: ...  
B in ALB : 1/10/2018 3:57 pm : link
In comment 13781910 GP said:
Quote:
In comment 13781900 B in ALB said:


Quote:


In comment 13781899 GP said:


Quote:


Playstation Vue worked great for me and it included YES Network. Only real bummer was no MSG. Broadcast stations you can get with an antenna, although CBS6 was available via Vue in Albany. FOX/ABC/NBC available 'On Demand' through Vue.



I looked at Vue as well but didn't see that YES was included.



Unless something changed in the past month, I had YES since April 2016 with Vue Core. I recently switched to Spectrum to save 15 bucks for a year with a "please come back to us" offer, but fully plan on switching back to Vue once that 12 month period ends.


What are you paying for Core? $44.99?

I'm paying like $250/mo for this TW horseshit.
I have tried ditching TW/Spectrum  
Beezer : 1/10/2018 4:01 pm : link
a few times (meaning, looked into it). I'd lose the Mets and the Knicks. And we are simply not ready for that.
I have been thinking of cutting the cord for a while  
bigbluehoya : 1/10/2018 4:01 pm : link
But not having MSG network was a dealbreaker stopping me from doing it.

I understand that DirecTV Now recently added MSG for customers in the ďGreater NY areaĒ, so I am preparing to revisit.
I know very little about cord cutting  
aimrocky : 1/10/2018 4:02 pm : link
but I heard DTV Now is very good. I have a friend who got in when they were giving it away. I think it's now $50 a month but they have pretty much every channel that's needed besides all of those BS channels.
RE: RE: RE: RE: ...  
GP : 1/10/2018 4:02 pm : link
In comment 13781919 B in ALB said:
Quote:
In comment 13781910 GP said:


Quote:


In comment 13781900 B in ALB said:


Quote:


In comment 13781899 GP said:


Quote:


Playstation Vue worked great for me and it included YES Network. Only real bummer was no MSG. Broadcast stations you can get with an antenna, although CBS6 was available via Vue in Albany. FOX/ABC/NBC available 'On Demand' through Vue.



I looked at Vue as well but didn't see that YES was included.



Unless something changed in the past month, I had YES since April 2016 with Vue Core. I recently switched to Spectrum to save 15 bucks for a year with a "please come back to us" offer, but fully plan on switching back to Vue once that 12 month period ends.



What are you paying for Core? $44.99?

I'm paying like $250/mo for this TW horseshit.


I paid 34.99, which was solidly cheaper than anything TWC offered at the time for an existing customer. Vue recently raised Core to 44.99 (eff. Oct 2017 for new customers and Dec 2017 for existing customers). That's what prompted me to take the Spectrum offer for a year. Playing the companies against one another and coming back on a promotional/new customer plan seems to be the only way to keep these packages affordable. Also, no bullshit taxes with Vue. If you have a Playstation the guide/app works wonderfully. Not so great on a Roku device, but manageable.
The MSG thing is the only  
B in ALB : 1/10/2018 4:04 pm : link
reason I haven't done it yet. But the Knicks and Rangers are pretty shitty this year and I'm trying to convince myself that it's time.

Is there any other way to get MSG besides Direct TV (really don't want a dish and all that nonsense) or a traditional cable provider?
RE: The MSG thing is the only  
aimrocky : 1/10/2018 4:06 pm : link
In comment 13781937 B in ALB said:
Quote:
reason I haven't done it yet. But the Knicks and Rangers are pretty shitty this year and I'm trying to convince myself that it's time.

Is there any other way to get MSG besides Direct TV (really don't want a dish and all that nonsense) or a traditional cable provider?


DTV Now is streamed. No dish necessary.
I just cut the cord.  
Tim in Eternal Blue : 1/10/2018 4:07 pm : link
Sony Vue is 40 bucks with free unlimited cloud based DVR. Winner winner over the competition IMO
Does anyone know if you can sign up for Vue  
bigblue12 : 1/10/2018 4:09 pm : link
with another address? For example, I moved out to Chicago, but my folks are still in NY. If I gave them my folks address, could I sign up and get the local NY channels (i.e. Giants games)?
RE: I know very little about cord cutting  
B in ALB : 1/10/2018 4:10 pm : link
In comment 13781930 aimrocky said:
Quote:
but I heard DTV Now is very good. I have a friend who got in when they were giving it away. I think it's now $50 a month but they have pretty much every channel that's needed besides all of those BS channels.


Again, it doesn't have MSG.

No surprise from the fucking Dolan family.
RE: Does anyone know if you can sign up for Vue  
B in ALB : 1/10/2018 4:13 pm : link
In comment 13781951 bigblue12 said:
Quote:
with another address? For example, I moved out to Chicago, but my folks are still in NY. If I gave them my folks address, could I sign up and get the local NY channels (i.e. Giants games)?


Looks like the address needs to match the billing address on your credit card. As long as you don't change that, you should be good.
RE: RE: The MSG thing is the only  
B in ALB : 1/10/2018 4:13 pm : link
In comment 13781941 aimrocky said:
Quote:
In comment 13781937 B in ALB said:


Quote:


reason I haven't done it yet. But the Knicks and Rangers are pretty shitty this year and I'm trying to convince myself that it's time.

Is there any other way to get MSG besides Direct TV (really don't want a dish and all that nonsense) or a traditional cable provider?



DTV Now is streamed. No dish necessary.


Didn't realize that until now. Thanks.
direct tv now  
giantfan2000 : 1/10/2018 4:15 pm : link
just added MSG and they have YEs network too (if you are in NYC area)
I dumped cable TV (Optimum) a year ago  
Mr. Bungle : 1/10/2018 4:23 pm : link
for Sling TV, and I'm very happy I did.

They have a DVR option now (I don't have it, though). So that's not a liability anymore.

As mentioned above (I think?), CBS isn't available on Sling. I refuse to pay for the CBS All Access app, and I haven't gotten an HD antennae yet. I'd imagine that CBS is important to you (for NFL games and March Madness), so look into the HD antennae.

Dump cable TV. Do it.
...  
26.2 : 1/10/2018 4:34 pm : link
For those that have Vue - can you use your log on to get ESPN3 content? You can using sling. I am using sling now for their free trial. Want to try Vue and DTV Now as well.
Vue is the best by far...  
bradshaw44 : 1/10/2018 4:35 pm : link
It has the main local stations of Fox, NBC, CBS, and it has ABC on demand. Sling is missing ABC and CBS. I cut the chord and vue has been like I haven't missed a step.
RE: Vue is the best by far...  
Mr. Bungle : 1/10/2018 4:36 pm : link
In comment 13782007 bradshaw44 said:
Quote:
It has the main local stations of Fox, NBC, CBS, and it has ABC on demand. Sling is missing ABC and CBS. I cut the chord and vue has been like I haven't missed a step.

Sling has ABC.
RE: RE: Vue is the best by far...  
26.2 : 1/10/2018 4:38 pm : link
In comment 13782008 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
In comment 13782007 bradshaw44 said:


Quote:


It has the main local stations of Fox, NBC, CBS, and it has ABC on demand. Sling is missing ABC and CBS. I cut the chord and vue has been like I haven't missed a step.


Sling has ABC.


Hmmm...mine doesn't have ABC. NBC and Fox are the only locals.
RE: RE: Vue is the best by far...  
bradshaw44 : 1/10/2018 4:38 pm : link
In comment 13782008 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
In comment 13782007 bradshaw44 said:


Quote:


It has the main local stations of Fox, NBC, CBS, and it has ABC on demand. Sling is missing ABC and CBS. I cut the chord and vue has been like I haven't missed a step.


Sling has ABC.


Does it? Could have sworn when i did the free trial it didn't have either CBS or ABC
vue doesnt have starz....  
GMAN4LIFE : 1/10/2018 4:38 pm : link
gosh
Been using Sling  
Dave on the UWS : 1/10/2018 4:44 pm : link
and an antenna since Sept. very happy. There are ways to stream Knicks and Rangers ( and other stuff) so Iím not missing anything
Wondering as well...  
Dan in the Springs : 1/10/2018 4:48 pm : link
how to manage DVR functionality with these different options. I know that the only thing keeping TV watchable for us these days is the DVR. We don't even watch live TV anymore (except for Giants games, and even then I'm pausing, rewinding, etc.).

Anyone have a DVR solution for Sling/etc.?

My experience with FFWD REW features on streamed material has been far less than ideal. My DirecTV DVR is super smooth and can rewind, pause and slo-mo very nicely without lag, etc. How does it work if you're streaming?
I'm going to try out the free trials for these services  
B in ALB : 1/10/2018 4:52 pm : link
starting with PlayStation Vue.

The website says I can use it through my Chromecast connected to my tv. But for some reason there is no app on the Google Play store for PlayStation Vue. Only PlayStation Vue Mobile which isn't allowing me access.

Any ideas?
I had ABC on the Sling Orange package.  
Mr. Bungle : 1/10/2018 4:56 pm : link
But now I only have Sling Blue, so I don't have ABC. But they definitely had it.

You can call them up and ask.
YouTube TV  
jd311 : 1/10/2018 5:04 pm : link
is the answer - unlimited cloud based DVR
RE: I had ABC on the Sling Orange package.  
26.2 : 1/10/2018 5:05 pm : link
In comment 13782049 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
But now I only have Sling Blue, so I don't have ABC. But they definitely had it.

You can call them up and ask.


I just read that ABC is extra and only in select cities.
RE: direct tv now  
B in ALB : 1/10/2018 5:08 pm : link
In comment 13781966 giantfan2000 said:
Quote:
just added MSG and they have YEs network too (if you are in NYC area)


I read an article that it's added for nys residents. But I don't see it on the channel lineup.
Now YES and MSG just appeared  
B in ALB : 1/10/2018 5:11 pm : link
That was strange.
how do you view  
oghwga : 1/10/2018 6:22 pm : link
direct tv now? Do you need a box for each TV? I have 6 TVs in my house does each one need an additional box? I have FIOS now which I like because it's easy to operate and makes my wife happy. If I cut the cord it has to be VERY user friendly
Iíve been using Directv Now  
JoeyBigBlue : 1/10/2018 11:31 pm : link
For the last 6 months and Iím pretty happy with it. It has all the local channels, and has YES and they recently added MSG and MSG2. You also get a pretty good discount if you have an AT&T unlimited cell plan.

Just switched to DirectTvNow  
Knineteen : 1/10/2018 11:39 pm : link
I would NOT recommend it. The buffering is HORRENDOUS! God...fucking...awful. I get 100 Mpbs down and use wired connections. I've only used it for 4 days now and have probably experienced buffering at least 50 times. I called them but got nowhere.

It really sucks because the service offers everything we want and the price is awesome.
RE: I have tried ditching TW/Spectrum  
Knineteen : 1/10/2018 11:45 pm : link
In comment 13781926 Beezer said:
Quote:
a few times (meaning, looked into it). I'd lose the Mets and the Knicks. And we are simply not ready for that.

I've found a viewing solution for all my teams except the Mets. But after this off-season, I decided to leave and not look back. To hell with the ownership, I'll find something else to do with my time.
RE: Just switched to DirectTvNow  
B in ALB : 1/11/2018 1:10 am : link
In comment 13782375 Knineteen said:
Quote:
I would NOT recommend it. The buffering is HORRENDOUS! God...fucking...awful. I get 100 Mpbs down and use wired connections. I've only used it for 4 days now and have probably experienced buffering at least 50 times. I called them but got nowhere.

It really sucks because the service offers everything we want and the price is awesome.


I previewed it tonight and it was absolutely awful. Buffering the Knicks game constantly and the picture is horrid.
RE: Just switched to DirectTvNow  
Mr. Bungle : 1/11/2018 7:35 am : link
In comment 13782375 Knineteen said:
Quote:
I would NOT recommend it. The buffering is HORRENDOUS! God...fucking...awful. I get 100 Mpbs down and use wired connections. I've only used it for 4 days now and have probably experienced buffering at least 50 times. I called them but got nowhere.

It really sucks because the service offers everything we want and the price is awesome.

That sucks to read, because I was considering switching from Sling to DirecTV Now.
RE: RE: Just switched to DirectTvNow  
Knineteen : 1/11/2018 12:55 pm : link
In comment 13782396 B in ALB said:
Quote:
I previewed it tonight and it was absolutely awful. Buffering the Knicks game constantly and the picture is horrid.

Was that via MSG?

While buffering occurs on all channels, from my brief experience it seems to be worse on the local channels.
RE: RE: RE: Just switched to DirectTvNow  
B in ALB : 1/11/2018 12:57 pm : link
In comment 13783060 Knineteen said:
Quote:
In comment 13782396 B in ALB said:


Quote:


I previewed it tonight and it was absolutely awful. Buffering the Knicks game constantly and the picture is horrid.


Was that via MSG?

While buffering occurs on all channels, from my brief experience it seems to be worse on the local channels.


Yes. MSG. It sucked.
RE: RE: Just switched to DirectTvNow  
Knineteen : 1/11/2018 12:59 pm : link
In comment 13782425 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
That sucks to read, because I was considering switching from Sling to DirecTV Now.

It's actually not too bad during the day. And the DTV subscription does provide you the ability to login and access content on the channel's 3rd party app.

My friend a few towns over doesn't seem to have buffering issues. So, your mileage may vary.

I wouldn't have people over for the playoffs though; that's gotta be rough.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Just switched to DirectTvNow  
Knineteen : 1/11/2018 1:01 pm : link
In comment 13783061 B in ALB said:
Quote:
Yes. MSG. It sucked.

Not ideal, but a DTV subscription might give you access to the MSG GO app. Unfortunately, that app is really only targeted for the mobile crowd...but I run it on a desktop and pipe that into my TV.
Back to the Corner