Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

What Eagles victory showed

Alwaysblue22 : 2/5/2018 2:02 pm
Give a QB a stud offensive line and a running game and he can be a SB winner. A Smart coach helps too. Yet there will still be those on BBI who insist that Eli is washed up, DONE, and we must take a QB when all of these QBs coming out are flawed due to lack of experience, physical issues , or lack of height, or level of competition. We already have a young QB behind ELI who is big and strong, and one year ahead of any of these QBs I think it will be very difficult for ANY of these QBs to be graded at #2 higher than other impact players that can help us IMMEDIATELY and not just be holding a clip board.
Here's the other thing that it shows....  
fbdad : 2/5/2018 2:11 pm : link
If an offense doesn't suffer self-inflicted wounds (penalties, turnovers, etc.) that it's almost impossible for a defense to stop them in the modern day NFL. If you think about it last night, you'd be hard pressed to say that either defense didn't play well, yet there were about a million yards gained and 74 points scored.
Here here  
5BowlsSoon : 2/5/2018 2:14 pm : link
Preach it brother. Big wide bodied people Rule!
As if it wasn't bad enough the Eagles won the SB,  
Dave in Hoboken : 2/5/2018 2:19 pm : link
now the next day we have to deal with these "WHAT THIS GAME MEANS" shit-house level threads today. Fucking hell.
Yeah QB's are unnecessary  
Jay on the Island : 2/5/2018 2:19 pm : link
All we need is a great offensive line, a great running game, and a great defense! Since Foles did well that means that it is guaranteed that Webb will be too!
You said  
Jay on the Island : 2/5/2018 2:22 pm : link
"all of these QBs coming out are flawed due to lack of experience, physical issues , or lack of height, or level of competition." This is the case every year. Jared Goff and Wentz both fit into these categories yet the Eagles would not have won the Superbowl if they didn't have home field advantage due to the performance of Wentz.
This team is coming off a 3 win season  
UberAlias : 2/5/2018 2:27 pm : link
with 1 winning season in the past 5 with Eli. They are in fantastic position to build for the future. It would be foolish, short sighted, and wasteful to treat this as a win now pick.

But hey, spin the SB to push whatever narrative you want. Philly's roster is only miles ahead of ours up and down, they are coming off their first ever SB victory and first appearance in what 14 years, and suddenly they are blueprint opposed to the Patriots who are there year in year out behind their QB and HC?
RE: This team is coming off a 3 win season  
Jay on the Island : 2/5/2018 2:29 pm : link
In comment 13822398 UberAlias said:
Quote:
with 1 winning season in the past 5 with Eli. They are in fantastic position to build for the future. It would be foolish, short sighted, and wasteful to treat this as a win now pick.

But hey, spin the SB to push whatever narrative you want. Philly's roster is only miles ahead of ours up and down, they are coming off their first ever SB victory and first appearance in what 14 years, and suddenly they are blueprint opposed to the Patriots who are there year in year out behind their QB and HC?

+1,000
Last night  
mrvax : 2/5/2018 2:31 pm : link
the Pats D missed a boat load of tackles.
RE: This team is coming off a 3 win season  
SethFromAstoria : 2/5/2018 2:35 pm : link
In comment 13822398 UberAlias said:
Quote:
with 1 winning season in the past 5 with Eli. They are in fantastic position to build for the future. It would be foolish, short sighted, and wasteful to treat this as a win now pick.

But hey, spin the SB to push whatever narrative you want. Philly's roster is only miles ahead of ours up and down, they are coming off their first ever SB victory and first appearance in what 14 years, and suddenly they are blueprint opposed to the Patriots who are there year in year out behind their QB and HC?


The Eagles were 50-1 to win this year. I cant fucking wait for the Giants to get ther high ass pick and add it to a roster that needs way way way way way less than any usual #2 pick/

The Eagles amazing tea game up 600 yards.....and won
Well, donít forget  
trueblueinpw : 2/5/2018 2:52 pm : link
Iggles donít get to the playoffs without Wentz who was having an MVP season his second year in the NFL. Number 2 pick should be for a QB, either Rosen or Darnold. Gettleman is going to address the O line and hopefully he will have better picks in the mid rounds. Having a real head coach should make a big difference too.
So your point  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 2/5/2018 3:07 pm : link
is that you can win the SuperBowl with. A marginal QB? And you are using this as evidence for keeping a QB that costs $21,000,000 a year?

Good thing you thought this through before starting a thread and looking like an ass.
The win showed how absolutely shitty the NFC was  
The_Boss : 2/5/2018 3:12 pm : link
A bad Seattle team. An injury plagued GB. Nobody in the East to even challenge these guys. A mediocre nfc South. And who do they play? A Falcon team that never clicked offensively all year after losing Shanahan to SF. And a Minnesota team led by a journey man QB whose clock struck midnight in the championship game in humiliating fashion.
If all you need is a good OL  
Section331 : 2/5/2018 3:34 pm : link
and a stud RB, why hasnít Dallas won a SB recently? Maybe Foles is a better QB than we thought? Peterson is almost certainly a better HC than most of us thought, and certainly better than the clapper.

Your best bet to win a SB is still to have a top flight QB. He can make up for weaknesses in other areas.
I said the Qbs may not be rated as others at #2  
Alwaysblue22 : 2/5/2018 3:44 pm : link
We have the #2 pick. I am trying to state that I do not believe that any of these QB will be graded higher at NUMBER TWO than other position players. But there are narrow minded people here who are so transfixed on a QB that they try to reinvent what I said. If we Picked below the top 5 the QBs may grade out higher and a QB may be the choice. Many Draft Boards do not rate these QBs in the Top 5. However, all of them may go in the first or early second round below 5. Why is this years's crop any different from prior years? Because Mel kipper and other "GURUS"said so? If the Giants stay #2 they have to take the highest graded player and that not does not depend upon the player being a dream QB who may help us SOME DAY DOWN THE ROAD in a year or two or maybe NEVER. They could trade down and still find a player at a different position who is equally graded and who will ACTUALLY see the field and PLAY in 2018. Now wouldn't that be nice. To see our top draft choice actually play and help the 2018 Giants win and not be watching from the BENCH behind Eli and Webb.
Biggest thing is showed me is that you play the damn game to win  
montanagiant : 2/5/2018 4:16 pm : link
Not playing it in the hopes you can hang on for a win
Your Post  
joeinpa : 2/5/2018 4:41 pm : link
Diminishes how well Foles played last night.

He was the MVP and deserved. If anything his performance and mobility demonstrate why the Giants should hope their guy is there at 2 and take him.
The Giants take a QB at 2 because he has mobility?  
Alwaysblue22 : 2/5/2018 5:04 pm : link
How does that make him different than Geno Smith?. And that disqualifies Rosen. Is he mobile? Do you want to see a concussion prone QB run? If it is a QB he is not going to PLAY right away or he may never play.....that is the point. You want to see a bench warmer and tell the GM that he is suppose to move him, a Rookie, ahead of an NFL veteran who has actually played against NFL defenses. That will NEVER HAPPEN because as bad as the team performed it is not starting from Scratch and inserting a QB directly out of college. At best he will be fighting with Webb to get off the practice squad. If Eli gets hurt it will be Webb and not the draft pick who will play, because Webb knows the play book and has seen Eli and smith on the field up close playing against NFL defenses. You think it is easy for a college QB to step right in and be successful? I don't think so.That is why Webb is being groomed slowly.
Can I ask you a serious question  
Jay on the Island : 2/5/2018 5:12 pm : link
Would you rather have Carson Wentz, Jared Goff or Ezekiel Elliott? Wentz and Goff likely will sit for a year but you have your next potential franchise QB.
RE: The Giants take a QB at 2 because he has mobility?  
Jay on the Island : 2/5/2018 5:14 pm : link
In comment 13822727 Alwaysblue22 said:
Quote:
If Eli gets hurt it will be Webb and not the draft pick who will play, because Webb knows the play book and has seen Eli and smith on the field up close playing against NFL defenses. You think it is easy for a college QB to step right in and be successful? I don't think so.That is why Webb is being groomed slowly.

First off you wrongly assume the #2 pick wouldn't be the primary backup which is false. Second Webb is playing in a new offense so he is just learning the playbook too. The Giants don't even have a new OC yet so Webb doesn't have the playbook yet.
.  
arcarsenal : 2/5/2018 5:20 pm : link
I thought what was most evident about the Eagles offense was not so much the personnel - but some outstanding play design and playcalling.

Coaching in this league cannot be understated. It is by far the most important across all major sports.
No doubt arc, good point.  
Keith : 2/5/2018 5:22 pm : link
I feel like Belichick got outBelichick'd last night.
RE: I said the Qbs may not be rated as others at #2  
Jay on the Island : 2/5/2018 5:22 pm : link
In comment 13822536 Alwaysblue22 said:
Quote:
We have the #2 pick. I am trying to state that I do not believe that any of these QB will be graded higher at NUMBER TWO than other position players. But there are narrow minded people here who are so transfixed on a QB that they try to reinvent what I said. If we Picked below the top 5 the QBs may grade out higher and a QB may be the choice. Many Draft Boards do not rate these QBs in the Top 5. However, all of them may go in the first or early second round below 5. Why is this years's crop any different from prior years? Because Mel kipper and other "GURUS"said so? If the Giants stay #2 they have to take the highest graded player and that not does not depend upon the player being a dream QB who may help us SOME DAY DOWN THE ROAD in a year or two or maybe NEVER. They could trade down and still find a player at a different position who is equally graded and who will ACTUALLY see the field and PLAY in 2018. Now wouldn't that be nice. To see our top draft choice actually play and help the 2018 Giants win and not be watching from the BENCH behind Eli and Webb.

First off the people here who want a QB at #2 because they believe that a specific QB is the best choice for the future of the franchise not for the sake of taking a QB.

"Many Draft Boards do not rate these QBs in the Top 5. However, all of them may go in the first or early second round below 5. Why is this years's crop any different from prior years? Because Mel kipper and other "GURUS"said so?"

You completely contradict yourself here. You criticize those for wanting a QB because you they listen to Kiper and the "other gurus",which is inaccurate, but you refer to draft boards which "do not rate QB's in the top 5" which are made by "Mel Kiper and other Gurus." Also I don't know which lists you are looking at but Darnold and Rosen alone are in nearly every top 5 or top 10 list.
RE: .  
Jay on the Island : 2/5/2018 5:22 pm : link
In comment 13822758 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
I thought what was most evident about the Eagles offense was not so much the personnel - but some outstanding play design and playcalling.

Coaching in this league cannot be understated. It is by far the most important across all major sports.


I couldn't agree more.
Outside of Odell  
XBRONX : 2/5/2018 5:25 pm : link
Collins and Jenkins don't think the Eagle GM would trade any Eagle starters for Giant starters.
RE: Outside of Odell  
Jay on the Island : 2/5/2018 5:32 pm : link
In comment 13822769 XBRONX said:
Quote:
Collins and Jenkins don't think the Eagle GM would trade any Eagle starters for Giant starters.

Snacks?
Snacks  
XBRONX : 2/5/2018 5:39 pm : link
for Fletcher Cox?
RE: Snacks  
Jay on the Island : 2/5/2018 5:47 pm : link
In comment 13822785 XBRONX said:
Quote:
for Fletcher Cox?

No Snacks for Timmy Jernigan
RE: RE: Snacks  
The_Boss : 2/5/2018 7:38 pm : link
In comment 13822788 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 13822785 XBRONX said:


Quote:


for Fletcher Cox?


No Snacks for Timmy Jernigan


Itís close. Jernigan this year was a beast for them. Iíd probably lean Snacks.
RE: .  
HomerJones45 : 2/5/2018 9:01 pm : link
In comment 13822758 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
I thought what was most evident about the Eagles offense was not so much the personnel - but some outstanding play design and playcalling.

Coaching in this league cannot be understated. It is by far the most important across all major sports.
Really? Thatís what you took away? Not the fact that the Eagles have Jeffrey, Agahlor who was a #1, two really good tight ends and three running backs better than anyone we have? Please. Good coaching needs good players to take advantage of the good coaching.
Foles  
Rafflee : 2/5/2018 9:48 pm : link
Played 3 Outstanding Playoff Games.... Went 27td-2Int's as an Eagle QB 5 years ago. Did you watched him Play and the throws he made, along with His Pocket Presence? That was extraordinary QB Play, and it can't be diminished.

He wasn't along for the Ride---He Carried That Team! Can he do it again and again????..... IDK, but He was GREAT!!!!!
Your Post  
joeinpa : 2/6/2018 8:20 am : link
Diminishes how well Foles played last night.

He was the MVP and deserved. If anything his performance and mobility demonstrate why the Giants should hope their guy is there at 2 and take him.
RE: RE: Outside of Odell  
FStubbs : 2/6/2018 8:32 am : link
In comment 13822777 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 13822769 XBRONX said:


Quote:


Collins and Jenkins don't think the Eagle GM would trade any Eagle starters for Giant starters.


Snacks?


I'd think Landon Collins would start.

But that's a good point. We're talking MAYBE 2 guys on our team would start for Philly.

This team is so far away from contention we're rebuilding from scratch. I don't know where the idea we're just a few players away comes from.

Here's something sobering to consider. How many Giants would start for the Cowboys? Not many more I'd wager.
so far from contention? gimme a friggin break  
bc4life : 2/6/2018 9:16 am : link
Eagles barely beat Giants both games.

Giants lost many close games.

Giants went 11-5 last season and before you start with the luck and easy schedule - look at the schedule the Eagles played this year - 4 wins at most against 500 teams.

Next year is all about fixing the OLine.
I like a lot of our starters  
bc4life : 2/6/2018 9:20 am : link
Jernigan and Cox are great but Snacks and Tomlinson (up and coming) nothing to sneeze at. Vernon's good - Jackrabbit, DRC, and Collins - Eagles D is that much better? really - they had pass rush Giants didn't.

Offensive line is the biggest difference. Our wr corps - Beckham, Shepard, and Engram - that's a great corps of receivers.

Guys act  
bc4life : 2/6/2018 9:21 am : link
like Eagles were like the 90s Cowboy teams.
Back to the Corner