Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NGT: What goes around comes around.....

BillKo : 2/6/2018 9:39 am
A real interesting look at home the Pats season started, and ended.

The Pats opened the season with a 42-27 loss at home to the KC Chiefs.

The offense coordinated by Andy Reid. The QB.....Alex Smith who many consider average.

The Pats defense looked terrible with zero playmakers, and were victimized by running back running patterns down the field. They gave up over 500 yards of total offense.

Fast forward to the Super Bowl. The head coach, a disciple of Any Reid. The quarterback, Nick Foles, average at best. Running back Clements hurt the Eagles multiple times down the field with a wheel route and seam route. The Eagles scored 41 points. And amassed over 500 yards themselves.

Bill Bellichick didn't adjust from what I could see, or maybe he just couldn't given their defensive talent level.

For the Pats, the season started and ended the same way.
its a good point.  
Andy in Boston : 2/6/2018 10:38 am : link
and BB gave the Eagles credit after the game for their "design". Came down to the Pats didn't have the pass rushers this year. The losses of Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones were tough and they couldn't recover. I expect Pats will rebuild their defense in the off season.
The Pats defense just wasn't that good.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 2/6/2018 10:44 am : link
I saw each Patriots game with the exception of one or two & it was clear early on that the talent level was subpar.
Jacksonville...  
BillKo : 2/6/2018 11:04 am : link
..nearly hit a wheel route to their running back late in the game that could have been the difference....but Bortles missed him.

The Eagles saw the success of KC, and Jacksonville's near miss too. They utilized it. BB should have been ready for hit IMO.

And Rodney Harrison said he saw players running free even late in the year....so there were some deficiencies for sure.......
The Eagles became the first  
joeinpa : 2/6/2018 11:22 am : link
Team ever to give up 600 yes of offense and win the game

Hard to look at their defense and think great team Pats defense was just worse
What kills him  
Joey in VA : 2/6/2018 11:25 am : link
Is when a team doesn't have a guy or two who motors the team. He generally game plans around shutting down what you do best and forcing others to beat you. The Eagles used everyone often, notably going to Algholor so often early and mixing in Clements out of the backfield. They were forced to defend the entire field, not an easy task. Good thread though, and good observation.
RE: What kills him  
Mr. Bungle : 2/6/2018 11:28 am : link
In comment 13823529 Joey in VA said:
Quote:
Is when a team doesn't have a guy or two who motors the team. He generally game plans around shutting down what you do best and forcing others to beat you. The Eagles used everyone often, notably going to Algholor so often early and mixing in Clements out of the backfield. They were forced to defend the entire field, not an easy task. Good thread though, and good observation.

Good post, Joey.

And good thread, BillKo.
Besides the obvious not having the talent on d  
eli4life : 2/6/2018 11:31 am : link
Every time they saw the rpo this year they got torched.
IMO: If Andy Reid Were Coaching Iggles Sunday  
clatterbuck : 2/6/2018 12:08 pm : link
they would have lost.
It might have helped  
mrvax : 2/6/2018 12:52 pm : link
if Belichick played his best corner back too.
I consider both Smith and Foles better than average...  
GiantTuff1 : 2/6/2018 2:00 pm : link
Foles played absolutely lights out in two championship games, and was unafraid of the burning lens of 100 million people watching him, and he delivered a championship to Philadelphia for the first time ever.

I think at some point there will need to be an adjustment on what is considered average, when this kind of play, and intangibles are demonstrated on the biggest stage.

Just cause you have a laser arm, or great wheels, or Cam Newton's histrionics, doesn't mean you are great. Winning makes people better than average... especially championships. Just look at exhibit A... Eli Manning.
RE: I consider both Smith and Foles better than average...  
BillKo : 2/6/2018 3:13 pm : link
In comment 13823857 GiantTuff1 said:
Quote:
Foles played absolutely lights out in two championship games, and was unafraid of the burning lens of 100 million people watching him, and he delivered a championship to Philadelphia for the first time ever.

I think at some point there will need to be an adjustment on what is considered average, when this kind of play, and intangibles are demonstrated on the biggest stage.

Just cause you have a laser arm, or great wheels, or Cam Newton's histrionics, doesn't mean you are great. Winning makes people better than average... especially championships. Just look at exhibit A... Eli Manning.


I think Smith is better than average too, that's why I said is perceived by some....not me though lol. I think he's improved and is a good NFL QB. Not great, but good.

Foles......still a lot to prove. Very small sample size after failing as a starter in STL. But, he did have big time success under Chip Kelly, which to me, is a gimmick system of easy throws and accumulating stats.

I still say he's an average QB....let's see where is career path goes.
RE: RE: What kills him  
GMen23 : 2/7/2018 7:05 am : link
In comment 13823534 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
In comment 13823529 Joey in VA said:


Quote:


Is when a team doesn't have a guy or two who motors the team. He generally game plans around shutting down what you do best and forcing others to beat you. The Eagles used everyone often, notably going to Algholor so often early and mixing in Clements out of the backfield. They were forced to defend the entire field, not an easy task. Good thread though, and good observation.

Good post, Joey.

And good thread, BillKo.


AND 1. GREAT POSTS
Back to the Corner