Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

DeFillippo to Vikings as OC

MookGiants : 2/8/2018 8:14 pm
Quote:
Adam Schefter& #8207;Verified account
@AdamSchefter
Follow Follow @AdamSchefter
More
Vikings are hiring former Eaglesí QB coach John DeFilippo as their OC, per source.

Super Bowl brain drain underway in Philadelphia.


Now we wait to see if the Vikings are going to block Stefanski from going to the Giants. They don't need to let him go if he's under contract as OC is not considered a promotion
I think it would be a real dick move  
Tittle 9 20 64 : 2/8/2018 8:19 pm : link
For the Vikings to block Stefanski.
So where does that leave Shurmur?  
The_Boss : 2/8/2018 8:19 pm : link
He wants someone who is beneficial to qbís. Is that guy out there still?
It means he can hire the guy  
Peter from NH (formerly CT) : 2/8/2018 8:22 pm : link
he wanted to hire
RE: So where does that leave Shurmur?  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 2/8/2018 8:23 pm : link
In comment 13827181 The_Boss said:
Quote:
He wants someone who is beneficial to qbís. Is that guy out there still?


Stefanski coaches the QBs with the Vikings and was believed to be Shurmurís #1 choice.
Hello Stefanski  
jeff57 : 2/8/2018 8:25 pm : link
.
How can the Vikings block Stefanski?  
ChathamMark : 2/8/2018 8:27 pm : link
He was the QB coach. Wouldn't OC be a promotion?
RE: How can the Vikings block Stefanski?  
GiantGolfer : 2/8/2018 8:28 pm : link
In comment 13827187 ChathamMark said:
Quote:
He was the QB coach. Wouldn't OC be a promotion?


Technically yes, but itís not viewed that way for hiring.
RE: How can the Vikings block Stefanski?  
robbieballs2003 : 2/8/2018 8:28 pm : link
In comment 13827187 ChathamMark said:
Quote:
He was the QB coach. Wouldn't OC be a promotion?


No. There are only 2 distinctions in the NFL. That is a HC and then assistants.
I figured that was going to be a better fit for DeFilippo...  
GFAN52 : 2/8/2018 8:29 pm : link
since he wanted a team where he could call his own plays which clearly wasn't going to be the case with the Giants.
it would be really stupid long-term for the Vikings  
Peter from NH (formerly CT) : 2/8/2018 8:36 pm : link
to prevent him from going. You have to treat your employees with decency. I would think Shurmur would not have waited for this guy without them having checked this out.
NICE  
Shecky : 2/8/2018 8:37 pm : link
Hurts Eagles
And helps us get our guy
So that leaves Stefanski..  
Sean : 2/8/2018 8:38 pm : link
or Staley if that doesnít work.
You'd also think  
Giantfan in skinland : 2/8/2018 8:48 pm : link
Defilipo has someone he'd want to put in place (although given the overlaps in coaching trees...you could also see him knowing/liking Stefanski).
Staley  
Shecky : 2/8/2018 8:49 pm : link
Hope he takes Staley + with him
Get Stefanski signed tonight!  
Tom in NY : 2/8/2018 8:51 pm : link
Hopefully the Colts pick Frank Reich, sending the eagles offensive staff into a tailspin.
Unless Stefanski  
old man : 2/8/2018 8:56 pm : link
wanted to stay in Minny, and take the shot at OC or at least hope to stay the QB coach under the new OC, if I were him, as soon as he knew Minny wanted to wait for JDeF to be available, it would have been clear to me I'm not their guy and I'd be out of there, hopefully calling PS immediately and saying I'll be your QB coach/ token OC.
RE: it would be really stupid long-term for the Vikings  
MookGiants : 2/8/2018 8:57 pm : link
In comment 13827198 Peter from NH (formerly CT) said:
Quote:
to prevent him from going. You have to treat your employees with decency. I would think Shurmur would not have waited for this guy without them having checked this out.


The Eagles blocked DeFillippo last year, may have been a shitty thing to do but worked out pretty well for them
Should hear about Giants OC pick soon now.  
Blue21 : 2/8/2018 9:34 pm : link
.
RE: I think it would be a real dick move  
Rflairr : 2/8/2018 10:07 pm : link
In comment 13827180 Tittle 9 20 64 said:
Quote:
For the Vikings to block Stefanski.


Chudzinski
RE: RE: I think it would be a real dick move  
Rflairr : 2/8/2018 10:16 pm : link
In comment 13827260 Rflairr said:
Quote:
In comment 13827180 Tittle 9 20 64 said:


Quote:


For the Vikings to block Stefanski.



Chudzinski


Saying if they do the Giants should hire Chud and Dorsey as QBs coach
Couldn't Shurmur sweeten the offer...  
Dan in the Springs : 2/9/2018 6:11 am : link
And include the assistant HC title so it qualifies as a promotion?
RE: RE: How can the Vikings block Stefanski?  
Beer Man : 2/9/2018 6:30 am : link
In comment 13827192 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
In comment 13827187 ChathamMark said:


Quote:


He was the QB coach. Wouldn't OC be a promotion?



No. There are only 2 distinctions in the NFL. That is a HC and then assistants.
Haven't other teams in the past used the "Assistant HC" designation to circumvent this?
No  
GiantMike92 : 2/9/2018 7:46 am : link
Not allowed any more
RE: Unless Stefanski  
Gatorade Dunk : 2/9/2018 8:09 am : link
In comment 13827212 old man said:
Quote:
wanted to stay in Minny, and take the shot at OC or at least hope to stay the QB coach under the new OC, if I were him, as soon as he knew Minny wanted to wait for JDeF to be available, it would have been clear to me I'm not their guy and I'd be out of there, hopefully calling PS immediately and saying I'll be your QB coach/ token OC.

He's under contract. He could have resigned, but he wouldn't have been able to coach for any other teams in your scenario, so how would that have solved anything? These are not at-will employees.
..  
Heisenberg : 2/9/2018 8:34 am : link
I would think the Vikings would let him go,  
Beer Man : 2/9/2018 8:37 am : link
to do otherwise would be holding him back and could create animosity. The Vikes could also be holding back to see if they can receive compensation from a team wishing to sign him.
RE: Couldn't Shurmur sweeten the offer...  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 2/9/2018 8:48 am : link
In comment 13827302 Dan in the Springs said:
Quote:
And include the assistant HC title so it qualifies as a promotion?


That doesnt work anymore. You are either the HC or you're not.

That said, I expect he is going to be the Giants OC.
I May Be Wrong About This But...  
Jim in Tampa : 2/9/2018 9:01 am : link
Didn't the Giants block Peter Giunta from taking a DC position during the TC era?
Surprised DeFillippo  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 2/9/2018 9:48 am : link
didn't wait to see if the OC for the Eagles got the Colts job before deciding.
They could make Stefanski Asst Head Coach  
giantsfan227B : 2/9/2018 9:49 am : link
That would allow him to be blocked.
I think they can just block him if they want.  
Heisenberg : 2/9/2018 9:58 am : link
don't need to do the asst HC ruse.
RE: I May Be Wrong About This But...  
bluepepper : 2/9/2018 10:05 am : link
In comment 13827366 Jim in Tampa said:
Quote:
Didn't the Giants block Peter Giunta from taking a DC position during the TC era?

Yes. Lots of teams have blocked lots of guys over the years. We got Spags in '07 because Reid had blocked him from a job in '06 with the promise he'd let him go next time.

Still, every year people are befuddled by this. No matter how many times it's explained, people just don't seem to get it - there's only one coaching promotion the rule recognizes - to head coach. Any other assistant under contract can be blocked and they frequently are. I'd guess it happens a lot more than is reported since some guys probably know up front that they won't be allowed to leave.
I'd be shocked  
Big Rick in FL : 2/9/2018 10:27 am : link
If Stefanski was blocked. Zimmer & Shurmur have coached together for a few years. They just hired an OC from outside the organization.
RE: Surprised DeFillippo  
Rflairr : 2/9/2018 10:35 am : link
In comment 13827418 BigBlueDownTheShore said:
Quote:
didn't wait to see if the OC for the Eagles got the Colts job before deciding.


The Minnesota job is a better job. Because Zimmer appears to be completely hands off. And letís the OC handle the offense. Peterson calls the plays in Philly and Shurmur plans to do it here
RE: RE: Surprised DeFillippo  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 2/9/2018 10:56 am : link
In comment 13827480 Rflairr said:
Quote:
In comment 13827418 BigBlueDownTheShore said:


Quote:


didn't wait to see if the OC for the Eagles got the Colts job before deciding.



The Minnesota job is a better job. Because Zimmer appears to be completely hands off. And letís the OC handle the offense. Peterson calls the plays in Philly and Shurmur plans to do it here


Good call!
It was an easy call for DeFilippo  
Jay on the Island : 2/9/2018 11:06 am : link
In NY and Philly he wouldn't have called the plays as OC. He will get to in Minnesota.
This whole process has dragged out for so long.  
Brown Recluse : 2/9/2018 11:58 am : link
Can't wait for it to be over.
This whole process has dragged out for so long.  
Brown Recluse : 2/9/2018 11:59 am : link
Can't wait for it to be over.
RE: RE: I May Be Wrong About This But...  
Gatorade Dunk : 2/9/2018 12:03 pm : link
In comment 13827443 bluepepper said:
Quote:
In comment 13827366 Jim in Tampa said:


Quote:


Didn't the Giants block Peter Giunta from taking a DC position during the TC era?


Yes. Lots of teams have blocked lots of guys over the years. We got Spags in '07 because Reid had blocked him from a job in '06 with the promise he'd let him go next time.

Still, every year people are befuddled by this. No matter how many times it's explained, people just don't seem to get it - there's only one coaching promotion the rule recognizes - to head coach. Any other assistant under contract can be blocked and they frequently are. I'd guess it happens a lot more than is reported since some guys probably know up front that they won't be allowed to leave.

Exactly. And beyond those who get the basic promotion rule wrong, there are just as many who claim that X team will have a hard time attracting young coaches in the future if they block one of their own from leaving - what they don't realize is that just about every team has blocked one of their assistants at some point or another.

I think assistants are typically allowed to pursue a promotion more often than not, but blocking assistants from leaving is not as rare as some think.
Hell Parcell's retired from the Jets  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 2/9/2018 12:12 pm : link
to block Belichek from going to the Patriots.
RE: It was an easy call for DeFilippo  
GiantTuff1 : 2/9/2018 1:54 pm : link
In comment 13827527 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In NY and Philly he wouldn't have called the plays as OC. He will get to in Minnesota.


This.

Plus look at what just happened for the former Vikings OC. The Giants hired him as their Head Coach.
If Shurmer Passes on Stefanski.....  
Rafflee : 2/9/2018 9:18 pm : link
He gets passed over by His HC, who hires another QB Coach for OC..... ...and what if Shurmer (his Prior OC) passes on him as well??? Passed over by two guys who know him best?
Back to the Corner