Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

I am almost done with my OL grades

Sy'56 : 2/11/2018 5:26 pm
What happens between now and the draft won't impact the fine grade too much. Combine measurements and performance are small % of what makes the number. It is still part of the equation but generally speaking, my rankings won't change much between now and then.

The highest graded OL I have right now is...Not Quenton Nelson. It is not Connor Williams (although I am very intrigued by him and his medicals)

My top grade will likely go to a guy I don't see anyone else discussing as the top name....and it is Braden Smith from Auburn.

Top notch high school recruit. Three year starter. No injuries. Has played both guard spots and has seen some action at OT. 1st Team All American. He is 6'6/300 with exceptional foot speed and very repeatable technique. Excellent hands. Very body aware and under control. Lacks some core strength but he pancakes bigger/more powerful DTs in every game tape I watch. In a speed game, I like him more than Nelson.

And yes, I think there is a shot he plays LT in the NFL
Thanks sy  
ryanmkeane : 2/11/2018 5:30 pm : link
sign me up in round 2!
Someone above Nelson?  
jeff57 : 2/11/2018 5:33 pm : link
Thatís going out on a limb.
We're all looking forward to yoru grades  
jeffusedtobeonwebtv : 2/11/2018 5:36 pm : link
And especially of this year's class of quarterbacks.
What, Before the Combine?  
Giants_West : 2/11/2018 5:36 pm : link
How can you legitimately say you've graded them without a 40 time?
what do you think of Skyler Phillips  
CMicks3110 : 2/11/2018 5:38 pm : link
was looking at highlights of him this morning and he looked like he had excellent feet and technique. Small School prospect and limited competition, but I liked how he looked.
Taylor Hearn. Clemson  
Earl the goat : 2/11/2018 5:41 pm : link
6í5Ē 330. Clemsonís best offensive lineman will fly up
draft boards

Your thoughts SY

Always looking forward to your posts and write ups this time of the year
As an SEC homer....  
Koffman : 2/11/2018 5:45 pm : link
I've watched him play over the past few years. From what I remember he is a bulldozer in the run game, and can hold his own against the rush.

Here is some tape on him from You-Tude against Clemson in 2017.
BRaden Smith vs Clemson 2017 - ( New Window )
Sy  
twostepgiants : 2/11/2018 5:47 pm : link
Ive been reading him projecting in 2nd to 3rd. Kiper listed as "posdibly" a 3rd or 4th

I trust your grades more.

Do you think he moves up at draft time?

Can Giants steal him at top of 2nd?
Couldn't agree more.  
Gatorade Dunk : 2/11/2018 5:47 pm : link
Braden Smith is going to be a very good NFL lineman.
RE: Taylor Hearn. Clemson  
Sy'56 : 2/11/2018 5:54 pm : link
In comment 13829293 Earl the goat said:
Quote:
6í5Ē 330. Clemsonís best offensive lineman will fly up
draft boards

Your thoughts SY

Always looking forward to your posts and write ups this time of the year


For a heavy footed guy, he doesn't do enough damage at the point of attack with his initial punch.
RE: Sy  
Sy'56 : 2/11/2018 5:54 pm : link
In comment 13829302 twostepgiants said:
Quote:
Ive been reading him projecting in 2nd to 3rd. Kiper listed as "posdibly" a 3rd or 4th

I trust your grades more.

Do you think he moves up at draft time?

Can Giants steal him at top of 2nd?


I think he is going to move up in to the 20-40 range
Just watched the Georgia game  
robbieballs2003 : 2/11/2018 5:59 pm : link
From that game, I would love him on the Giants. However, it is definitely a tough projection to say he can or might be able to play LT. I am not saying he cannot by any means. It just seemed that a lot of his better plays came when he was able to lean on the DT and drive his legs. He isn't really going to be able to do that at OT. It would be an adjustment. However, you can see the speed he has when he gets out to pull. He also has some nice lateral movement when he is looking for any stunts along the DL or blitzers coming. Still, that is in a phone booth. If he was able to play OT his grade would definitely be higher than what Kiper was saying.
The thing about Braden Smith is...  
Torrag : 2/11/2018 6:01 pm : link
...he's undersized and underpowered to play OG at the NFL level. And he's never played OT so that's a leap of faith. So giving him the grade as the #1 OL in the college game really doesn't matter when as a pro he could be hard pressed to make the adjustment. This is a questionable grade imo but hey I didnt have access to whatever resources Sy used to reach it. You do generally see him listed as a mid 2nd Round type for the reasons listed above and frankly that make more sense to me.
Thanks Sy  
twostepgiants : 2/11/2018 6:01 pm : link
I believe Giants shoukd draft OL at top of round 2.

If he winds up 20-40 ranked, Giants in position with 34 pick

I would advocate a trade up to get him then
Sy  
TMS : 2/11/2018 6:02 pm : link
You are highly regarded here on BBI . Have you ever been contacted by Giant people like say Gettleman ?
Thanks Sy'56  
old man : 2/11/2018 6:15 pm : link
Not a total surprise.
The TV guys: Kiper..McShay..Jeremiah..Brooks...X..Y..Z.. have been all over
the lot on all the top 5 names at each position has had NO consensus on any #1 or 1&2 names.
More fellow BBIers have liked him than the above talking heads.
Good size..good feet..good and consistent technique will draw lots of attention at any position...plus...he plays in a very competitive conference that produces lots of NFL level talent.
All things being equal...might he make it to 34?
Lots of teams..even middle to upper echelon ..can use OL help..even the recent SB teams.
Sy what do think  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 2/11/2018 6:34 pm : link
About Wyatt Teller?
Sy  
Jay on the Island : 2/11/2018 6:43 pm : link
If Smith is as good as you say and can play LT the Giants should trade up from their 2nd round pick to get him. He clearly has the size to play LT.
Sy  
Jay on the Island : 2/11/2018 6:44 pm : link
If you had to choose between Brian O'Neill and Alex Cappa for the Giants which would you choose?
Didnít Branden Albert  
McNally's_Nuts : 2/11/2018 6:50 pm : link
play guard at Virginia and then kicked over to left tackle in the pros?

Any similarities, Sy?
Shhhhhh!!!!!  
rasbutant : 2/11/2018 6:59 pm : link
I wanted him in the 2nd. Cats out of the bag now. So much for that.

He kind of reminds me of the T Washington drafted early in the draft and moved to G.
If we get  
Jay on the Island : 2/11/2018 7:20 pm : link
Wynn or Smith in round 2 I will be thrilled.
RE: If we get  
Milton : 2/11/2018 8:35 pm : link
In comment 13829368 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
Wynn or Smith in round 2 I will be thrilled.
Or Price or Hernandez. The draft seems stocked at interior OL that will go right within the range of the Giants 2nd round pick. Especially if teams are reaching for OT prospects.
RE: RE: If we get  
Jay on the Island : 2/11/2018 8:42 pm : link
In comment 13829431 Milton said:
Quote:
In comment 13829368 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


Wynn or Smith in round 2 I will be thrilled.

Or Price or Hernandez. The draft seems stocked at interior OL that will go right within the range of the Giants 2nd round pick. Especially if teams are reaching for OT prospects.

I doubt Price falls to the 2nd round which is why I didn't include him. I like Hernandez but I would prefer the more athletic, versatile guys like Wynn and Smith.
Not for nothing, but  
section125 : 2/11/2018 8:48 pm : link
why did Quentin Nelson fall? He's been consensus top three draft position player all year. It has been Barkley, Chubb and Nelson since before October and now he isn't even a the top 3 guard even though he played lights out all year. Cannot understand what happened to drop him like that.
RE: Not for nothing, but  
Jay on the Island : 2/11/2018 8:53 pm : link
In comment 13829441 section125 said:
Quote:
why did Quentin Nelson fall? He's been consensus top three draft position player all year. It has been Barkley, Chubb and Nelson since before October and now he isn't even a the top 3 guard even though he played lights out all year. Cannot understand what happened to drop him like that.

I don't think Nelson fell. Sy has said in the past that he likes Wynn and Smith just as much if not more than Nelson.
I'm glad Sy is part of this community  
illmatic : 2/11/2018 8:59 pm : link
Makes the draft and the time leading up to it much more fun.
RE: Not for nothing, but  
Sy'56 : 2/11/2018 9:30 pm : link
In comment 13829441 section125 said:
Quote:
why did Quentin Nelson fall? He's been consensus top three draft position player all year. It has been Barkley, Chubb and Nelson since before October and now he isn't even a the top 3 guard even though he played lights out all year. Cannot understand what happened to drop him like that.


He didn't drop. He is still a top 7 player on my board.
RE: I'm glad Sy is part of this community  
Danny Kanell : 2/11/2018 10:14 pm : link
In comment 13829449 illmatic said:
Quote:
Makes the draft and the time leading up to it much more fun.


Agreed.
Intrigued by Smith  
George : 2/12/2018 12:49 am : link
But why is it that he isn't mentioned as a First Round slam dunk by anyone? What are the knocks against him?
It's super early into the process. There isn't going to be a consensus  
Ten Ton Hammer : 2/12/2018 1:09 am : link
on much of anything yet. It's not surprising to see the usual people who cover the draft not have a lot to say yet.
between  
English Alaister : 2/12/2018 4:46 am : link
Wynn, Price, Hernandez and Smith we ought to have some solid OG options available in round 2. Tackle looks trickier.
RE: RE: Not for nothing, but  
section125 : 2/12/2018 6:42 am : link
In comment 13829471 Sy'56 said:
Quote:
In comment 13829441 section125 said:


Quote:


why did Quentin Nelson fall? He's been consensus top three draft position player all year. It has been Barkley, Chubb and Nelson since before October and now he isn't even a top 3 guard even though he played lights out all year. Cannot understand what happened to drop him like that.



He didn't drop. He is still a top 7 player on my board.


That's a lot of guards in the top 7 players in the draft. Smith, Wynn and Nelson. Interesting. Too bad you can't draft a guard at #2.
Just from this thread  
idiotsavant : 2/12/2018 6:47 am : link
Smith sounds a bit like Pugh. Technically good at guard but a but smallish for guard. Maybe.
Typo. Bit not but  
idiotsavant : 2/12/2018 6:48 am : link
.
Or should i say  
idiotsavant : 2/12/2018 6:49 am : link
Light not short
Would  
AcidTest : 2/12/2018 8:11 am : link
rather have Wynn than Smith, but the latter would still be fine at the top of round two.
interesting stuff as always Sy.  
Victor in CT : 2/12/2018 8:46 am : link
thanks!
RE: What, Before the Combine?  
Section331 : 2/12/2018 9:02 am : link
In comment 13829289 Giants_West said:
Quote:
How can you legitimately say you've graded them without a 40 time?


The combine can offer valuable draft data, but the 40 is probably the worst data point you can use for an OL.
RE: Just from this thread  
Joey in VA : 2/12/2018 9:07 am : link
In comment 13829572 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
Smith sounds a bit like Pugh. Technically good at guard but a but smallish for guard. Maybe.
wow not even close. Pugh played LT at Syracuse, projected to OT but ended up at guard and he's a smallish 6-4 with short arms where Smith is 6-6 and has a bigger frame and played exclusively at OG in college. They are both white so there's that.
RE: What, Before the Combine?  
JohnnyFlowers : 2/12/2018 10:45 am : link
In comment 13829289 Giants_West said:
Quote:
How can you legitimately say you've graded them without a 40 time?


It's a pretty simple explanation. Did you need read Sy's post?
"What happens between now and the draft won't impact the fine grade too much. Combine measurements and performance are small % of what makes the number. It is still part of the equation but generally speaking, my rankings won't change much between now and then."

Nobody really cares about an OL 40 time!!!!!!!!!!
Watched 3 games of Braden Smith  
Peppers : 2/12/2018 10:54 am : link
LSU, Clemson, UCF

-Gets on the ground too much
-Loses balance too often, he'll bend at the waist at times and lean then get thrown to the side
-Not good in space. Misses his guy often at the second level
-Got blown backwards 7 yards and put on his ass against UCF
-Slow picking up blitzes
-Lets rushers get to his body, hand placement/timing needs work
-He'll stop his feet losing power/momentum when he pulls/gets in space.
-Likes to stand around and watch, won't play to the whistle.

He's got the NFL body, very strong hands, and at times he makes it look easy especially on hook blocks (he's like a moving wall) and even angle blocks he does a good job but..... the way he struggles recognizing the blitz is alarming and he's a non factor at the second level. It's also a pet peeve of mine when I don't see lineman finishing consistently. When he pulls he needs a shorter first step and he has tight hips which gets him to open slow, one way to help that is to swing the arm on the opening side almost like he's trying to elbow someone but once he gets moving he works down the line well its just finding his target and then generating movement.

Overall solid prospect. He's good at pass pro with the DL in front of him. I definitely don't see LT, Sy will be alone on that one. He kicked out to RT a few snaps but that's inconclusive. He won't be a fit for every blocking scheme. I think he'll have trouble with speed and picking up blitzes at the next level.. Me and a few other guys used to look for something we called "football vision". Its almost like a 6th sense, you can't really teach it. Smith doesn't have it. (Nelson does)

Only 3 games so take it for what its worth.. I'm sure there's better tape out there. I saw maybe a 3rd round pick. Reminds me of Alex Boone.
RE: RE: What, Before the Combine?  
Peppers : 2/12/2018 11:01 am : link
In comment 13829729 JohnnyFlowers said:
Quote:
In comment 13829289 Giants_West said:


Quote:


How can you legitimately say you've graded them without a 40 time?



It's a pretty simple explanation. Did you need read Sy's post?
"What happens between now and the draft won't impact the fine grade too much. Combine measurements and performance are small % of what makes the number. It is still part of the equation but generally speaking, my rankings won't change much between now and then."

Nobody really cares about an OL 40 time!!!!!!!!!!


Lol the 40 doesn't matter much to OL besides the 10 yard split.. But teams who run an outside zone like to pay attention to the shuttles.

More times than not these drills at the combine are what tips the scales when they have prospects equally graded.
RE: RE: RE: What, Before the Combine?  
JohnnyFlowers : 2/12/2018 12:46 pm : link
In comment 13829750 Peppers said:
Quote:
In comment 13829729 JohnnyFlowers said:


Quote:


In comment 13829289 Giants_West said:


Quote:


How can you legitimately say you've graded them without a 40 time?



It's a pretty simple explanation. Did you need read Sy's post?
"What happens between now and the draft won't impact the fine grade too much. Combine measurements and performance are small % of what makes the number. It is still part of the equation but generally speaking, my rankings won't change much between now and then."

Nobody really cares about an OL 40 time!!!!!!!!!!



Lol the 40 doesn't matter much to OL besides the 10 yard split.. But teams who run an outside zone like to pay attention to the shuttles.

More times than not these drills at the combine are what tips the scales when they have prospects equally graded.


I agree with you but my comment was to support how SY does his evaluations and not anybody else.
RE: RE: RE: RE: What, Before the Combine?  
Peppers : 2/12/2018 1:33 pm : link
In comment 13829915 JohnnyFlowers said:
Quote:
In comment 13829750 Peppers said:


Quote:


In comment 13829729 JohnnyFlowers said:


Quote:


In comment 13829289 Giants_West said:


Quote:


How can you legitimately say you've graded them without a 40 time?



It's a pretty simple explanation. Did you need read Sy's post?
"What happens between now and the draft won't impact the fine grade too much. Combine measurements and performance are small % of what makes the number. It is still part of the equation but generally speaking, my rankings won't change much between now and then."

Nobody really cares about an OL 40 time!!!!!!!!!!



Lol the 40 doesn't matter much to OL besides the 10 yard split.. But teams who run an outside zone like to pay attention to the shuttles.

More times than not these drills at the combine are what tips the scales when they have prospects equally graded.



I agree with you but my comment was to support how SY does his evaluations and not anybody else.



And that's a good point, everyone has there own way of evaluating.

For me I try to get as much information as I can.. As the old scout saying goes, "what does he have for breakfast?".
Letís go with the Oline guys that eat lightening  
Jimmy Googs : 2/12/2018 1:42 pm : link
and crap thunder for breakfast...
RE: Letís go with the Oline guys that eat lightening  
Peppers : 2/12/2018 1:56 pm : link
In comment 13830017 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
and crap thunder for breakfast...


Lol sign me up.
Sy 56 I maybe late for this convo  
est1986 : 2/13/2018 9:59 pm : link
But have you formed any opinion on (forgot his first name) LT Harrison from West Georgia?
RE: between  
LauderdaleMatty : 2/13/2018 10:20 pm : link
In comment 13829565 English Alaister said:
[quote] Wynn, Price, Hernandez and Smith we ought to have some solid OG options available in round 2. Tackle looks trickier. [/quote

Look for a couple of those guys to be gone for sure. NFL or close to NFL ready OL are harder to find more and more. I expect to see a run between 20-40 on a few names of guys we would love to see w that 2nd pick.
RE: RE: What, Before the Combine?  
LauderdaleMatty : 2/13/2018 10:22 pm : link
In comment 13829729 JohnnyFlowers said:
[quote] In comment 13829289 Giants_West said:


Quote:


How can you legitimately say you've graded them without a 40 time?



It's a pretty simple explanation. Did you need read Sy's post?
"What happens between now and the draft won't impact the fine grade too much. Combine measurements and performance are small % of what makes the number. It is still part of the equation but generally speaking, my rankings won't change much between now and then."

Nobody really cares about an OL 40 time!!!!!!!!!! [/quote

Someoneís sarcasm meter is off
RE: RE: RE: What, Before the Combine?  
Gatorade Dunk : 2/13/2018 11:17 pm : link
In comment 13831763 LauderdaleMatty said:
Quote:
In comment 13829729 JohnnyFlowers said:
[quote] In comment 13829289 Giants_West said:


Quote:


How can you legitimately say you've graded them without a 40 time?



It's a pretty simple explanation. Did you need read Sy's post?
"What happens between now and the draft won't impact the fine grade too much. Combine measurements and performance are small % of what makes the number. It is still part of the equation but generally speaking, my rankings won't change much between now and then."

Nobody really cares about an OL 40 time!!!!!!!!!! [/quote

Someoneís sarcasm meter is off

Back to back posts with slick "[quote]" skills. Matty taking his posting to another level - it's always amazing to see a master at his craft exceed expectations.
Back to the Corner