Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Barnwell article on 5 moves each NFC East team should make

Defenderdawg : 2/12/2018 12:06 pm
Giants
(1) Announce that this will be Eli Manning's last season in a Giants uniform
(2) Draft a quarterback with the second overall pick.
(3) Re-sign Odell Beckham Jr.
(4) Clear out cap space
(5) Improve the offensive line.
ďThe problem is that there aren't many left tackles about to hit the market, and if the Giants spend $13 million per year on Norwell, they probably can't afford to commit another $10-plus million per year to Nate Solder. They can try to draft a left tackle with their second-round pick (or trade up into the first round), but the best solution might be to re-sign Pugh to play right tackle and use Rhett Ellison more frequently to give Flowers help on the left side...Ē
Link - ( New Window )
Agree with everything except  
ryanmkeane : 2/12/2018 12:07 pm : link
the announcement part...there's no way Eli would do that to distract from the team.
I think we should be running a ton of 12 personnel  
adamg : 2/12/2018 12:09 pm : link
With Engram's skillset as a receiver and Ellison's two-way ability, you can do so much out of that grouping.
I think all the  
jvm52106 : 2/12/2018 12:14 pm : link
talk about Flowers at RT or RG is a stretch but any idea of Flowers still being the LT is a MASSIVE reach. I think Flowers finds his way off the team.
Well, that was a useless article  
allstarjim : 2/12/2018 12:14 pm : link
It would make no sense to announce that it's Eli's last season when he is under contract for 2 more years.

You never know what will happen during a season and even if the intention is there for this to be is last year, circumstances can certainly change, very quickly, and in August of 2019 or well before then it may make sense for him to continue to start for the Giants and play out his final season under contract, regardless of who is drafted this offseason.

Obviously, it makes sense to clear cap space...that's every offseason.

Draft a QB? Just draft a QB? No matter who it is, just draft one. No matter what your evaluation of the QB class is, just draft a QB. Sure, we are all looking at that as a likely possibility, but if you aren't convinced the QBs available at #2 are going to be franchise QBs, you don't draft them.

Improve the offensive line? Wow, great, specific direction there. There's only 31 other teams looking to do that this offseason as well. Everyone is looking to improve the offensive line, and every other positional unit as well.

What a shit article.
What's the point of making an announcement  
jeff57 : 2/12/2018 12:15 pm : link
Even if that is the plan.
Dumb  
Bruner4329 : 2/12/2018 12:17 pm : link
Another dumb article. Really improve OL and clear cap space. Wow until I read this article I would never have thought to do that. Same with resigning OBJ.As for the Eli thing it is just not something realistic.

So at the end of the day he says we should use Ellison to prop up Flowers because he is bad but still thinks Flowers stays at LT. How does that help the team. It is still limiting the offense because your OL and LT in this case stinks. Please unless there is something realistic or potentially a good avenue to pursuit these articles should be ignored. One more time, if Flowers is the staring LT in 2018 DG should be fired. First he stinks at LT and second he gave up on this team last season. So you think they reward him by giving him the same starting position again??
RE: What's the point of making an announcement  
Mike from Ohio : 2/12/2018 12:24 pm : link
In comment 13829864 jeff57 said:
Quote:
Even if that is the plan.


That is something fans write because they want answers to questions and certainty. No team would ever do something like that. After I saw that I realized this was not an article worth reading.
Someone actually got paid to say  
montanagiant : 2/12/2018 12:51 pm : link
We need to clear cap space, sign OBJ, Draft a QB, and address the O-line?

When is Eric going to start charging these media idiots premium content to come on the Mssg Board? There is better and deeper strategic discussion regarding this team on BBI than the drek these writers put out
...  
est1986 : 2/12/2018 12:57 pm : link
Quote:
(1) Announce that this will be Eli Manning's last season in a Giants uniform

Dumb idea, never in the history of the NFL do I recall anyone saying before a season that the upcoming season will guarantee to be our starting QBís last season: Dumb, dumb idea in so many ways.

Quote:
(2) Draft a quarterback with the second overall pick.

Ok. This seems like a good QB class. I donít agree with the philosophy of if your picking that high you hAVE TO pick a QB... but if you I.D a franchise QB then sure..

Quote:
(3) Re-sign Odell Beckham Jr.

How do we re-sign him if he is already signed? You mean extend, right? No. We can do this next year. How are we going to improve a 3-13 team by giving more money to guys already under contract? Use that money to bring in Norwell please.

Quote:
(4) Clear out cap space

Great idea Captain Obvious

Quote:
(5) Improve the offensive line.
ďThe problem is that there aren't many left tackles about to hit the market, and if the Giants spend $13 million per year on Norwell, they probably can't afford to commit another $10-plus million per year to Nate Solder. They can try to draft a left tackle with their second-round pick (or trade up into the first round), but the best solution might be to re-sign Pugh to play right tackle and use Rhett Ellison more frequently to give Flowers help on the left side..

Ok, now we are beginning to make sense. I have been pro Pugh, he is a good guard and a good tackle, the versatility is valuable. I can envision an OL of Flowers, Norwell, Jones, Fluker and Pugh. Re-sign our own. Bring in Norwell. And draft a guy who can compete for a starting job anywhere on that line. And that is a start to improving this unit. If Pugh stays healthy, Flowers plays like he did for the second half of the season last year, bring back Jones and Fluker who both brought some life to our OL late last year, and add a all pro guy like Norwell and thatís a quick fix if you ask me...
I dont see  
sharpshooter66 : 2/12/2018 1:02 pm : link
The Giants making the kind of investment at guard that its going to tale to get Norwell. We can get effective guards in the draft for much cheaper. I think if they make a big investment at free agency it would be for a proven left tackle, so Solder
RE: I think all the  
paesan98 : 2/12/2018 1:12 pm : link
In comment 13829861 jvm52106 said:
Quote:
talk about Flowers at RT or RG is a stretch but any idea of Flowers still being the LT is a MASSIVE reach. I think Flowers finds his way off the team.


I think any talk of Flowers finding his way off the team this offseason is a massive reach. Last year, he was at least serviceable at LT.
I don't think Norwell is the slam dunk move many seem to believe it is  
j_rud : 2/12/2018 1:17 pm : link
It would take the majority of the available cap space when there are numerous spots to upgrade. Sure, it would "make sense" given that DG found him but I don't think they hired Gettleman to necessarily bring in guys like Norwell, I think the hope is he finds the next Norwell.
Not enough improvement  
Biteymax22 : 2/12/2018 1:22 pm : link
on the OL in Barwell's plan. Between FA and draft we need at least 2 new starters, preferably 3. Any plan that keeps Flowers at LT is weak at best.

Let ODB play a bit before you resign him  
idiotsavant : 2/12/2018 1:27 pm : link
See how the injuries effect his game.
RE: Agree with everything except  
mrvax : 2/12/2018 1:54 pm : link
In comment 13829854 ryanmkeane said:
Quote:
the announcement part...there's no way Eli would do that to distract from the team.


The team has to wait until they know who is capable of stepping into Eli's spot. Slim chance still that Eli has to start in 2019 if Webb & D****** aren't ready at some point.
RE: I think we should be running a ton of 12 personnel  
mrvax : 2/12/2018 1:56 pm : link
In comment 13829855 adamg said:
Quote:
With Engram's skillset as a receiver and Ellison's two-way ability, you can do so much out of that grouping.


And while defenders are scrambling up front to cover the 12, that Beckham guy is...where???
Should be fun.
Moves 2-5 go without saying and  
Jimmy Googs : 2/12/2018 1:59 pm : link
#1 is a Bridge too far...
Dumb, Dumb, Dumb...  
Thatís Gold, Jerry : 2/12/2018 1:59 pm : link
best option for the Giants is to trade down, pick up more picks, draft OL...sign Norwell, if we can, sign Pugh to play right tackle, re-sign Fluker to play RG. No way I keep Flowers at LT...he is no better than he was in his first year. Plus he appears to be a Giant baby with a terrible attitude. Only thing I like about him is he is always available. But I can't see DG having much patience with him if he does not show massive improvement.

We need drafts on OL, LB and maybe even corner much more than we need a new QB.
RE: ...  
Bruner4329 : 2/12/2018 2:02 pm : link
In comment 13829934 est1986 said:
Quote:



Ok, now we are beginning to make sense. I have been pro Pugh, he is a good guard and a good tackle, the versatility is valuable. I can envision an OL of Flowers, Norwell, Jones, Fluker and Pugh. Re-sign our own. Bring in Norwell. And draft a guy who can compete for a starting job anywhere on that line. And that is a start to improving this unit. If Pugh stays healthy, Flowers plays like he did for the second half of the season last year, bring back Jones and Fluker who both brought some life to our OL late last year, and add a all pro guy like Norwell and thatís a quick fix if you ask me...


So bringing in one new face and resigning an often hurt and mediocre talent is a quick fix? I think people quickly forget how bad this OL has been. Not only this past year but prior years as well. Time for a bigger overhaul. And BTW when did Flowers play really well in the second half? Was that before or after he quit on the team? Do not want him on this team and even if he survives no way I want him at LT.
RE: Dumb, Dumb, Dumb...  
Bruner4329 : 2/12/2018 2:04 pm : link
In comment 13830040 Thatís Gold, Jerry said:
Quote:
best option for the Giants is to trade down, pick up more picks, draft OL...sign Norwell, if we can, sign Pugh to play right tackle, re-sign Fluker to play RG. No way I keep Flowers at LT...he is no better than he was in his first year. Plus he appears to be a Giant baby with a terrible attitude. Only thing I like about him is he is always available. But I can't see DG having much patience with him if he does not show massive improvement.

We need drafts on OL, LB and maybe even corner much more than we need a new QB.

Finally a voice of reason. Flowers should be on this team as a last resort and not as a LT.
This just..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/12/2018 3:31 pm : link
continues the trend of reporters that seem to write articles to generate clicks instead of actually knowing what the fuck they write about.

Sensationalistic idiocy is what many articles have delved into.
I like Barnwell, but his list starts with a VERY  
Section331 : 2/12/2018 3:48 pm : link
flawed premise. Why would/should NYG make any such claim about Eli? That is utter stupidity. What if he has an all-pro type year. At the very least, even if you wanted to move on from him, publicly stating it can only hurt his value.

Everything else is garden variety stuff that anyone who watched one play of the Giants this year would know. It's a a quiet time of the year, and writers are scraping the barrel for content.
RE: RE: ...  
est1986 : 2/12/2018 9:13 pm : link
In comment 13830047 Bruner4329 said:
Quote:
In comment 13829934 est1986 said:


Quote:





Ok, now we are beginning to make sense. I have been pro Pugh, he is a good guard and a good tackle, the versatility is valuable. I can envision an OL of Flowers, Norwell, Jones, Fluker and Pugh. Re-sign our own. Bring in Norwell. And draft a guy who can compete for a starting job anywhere on that line. And that is a start to improving this unit. If Pugh stays healthy, Flowers plays like he did for the second half of the season last year, bring back Jones and Fluker who both brought some life to our OL late last year, and add a all pro guy like Norwell and thatís a quick fix if you ask me...



So bringing in one new face and resigning an often hurt and mediocre talent is a quick fix? I think people quickly forget how bad this OL has been. Not only this past year but prior years as well. Time for a bigger overhaul. And BTW when did Flowers play really well in the second half? Was that before or after he quit on the team? Do not want him on this team and even if he survives no way I want him at LT.


Flowers quit on the team? When? When he missed the last game due to injury? Oh when that maggot Raanan (who has had it out for Flowers, before and after the shove) reported some horse shit like that, since the head coach, unpromptedly came out and states that report was false. He hasnít shown much talent but he sure hasnít come close to showing any quit, he has if anything shown guts since he thrown in the fire starting LT day 1.

Fluker wasnít the problem Jerry was... Jones wasnít the problem Richburg was... Pugh has always showed ability, itís the availability that is the issue with him, hopefully he can stay healthy because he is good when he is... Brig back that core plus an all pro player in Norwell AND draft a guy and yeah that is an improvement... what do you suggest we draft all OL rounds 1-5? Or what available F/A OL do you like that you think will be better? But donít answer, donít think you would know since you didnít even know Flowers played wel the second half of the season.
Today  
Dragon : 2/13/2018 3:43 am : link
We have one possible starting OL Edwards and no one knows where he will start. Jerry is not costing enough to need to do anything until later plus he wonít cost much more than a similar replacement. Jones is still learning and should make the team somehow.

The idea that Pugh or Richburg might resign seems flawed they should both get decent offers outside for much more than either deserve. Stop trying to cover for these players they are easily replaceable because they are nothing special.

The belief that Norwell is a possibility for us will kill the CAP he is going to get really big bucks if we sign him itís bottom basements shopping from there on. This is a team with a major lack of talent in 17 of 22 possible starting positions not including special teams which adds to the shortage. They are who they have shown you they are itís simple science donít go reading anything else into it the films donít lie.
RE: Agree with everything except  
Gatorade Dunk : 2/13/2018 5:13 am : link
In comment 13829854 ryanmkeane said:
Quote:
the announcement part...there's no way Eli would do that to distract from the team.

No, never. He'd never request that the team make an announcement or even issue a press release about his status as the team's QB. That would never happen. No chance.

Oh wait - did you mean there's no way he'd do that again?
Back to the Corner