Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Giants have hired an OC

Ray_Ray (NYG) : 2/13/2018 11:02 am
NYG have hired Mike Shula as OC. Official announcement later today. Per sources. #NYG Per Kimberly Jones
Pages: 1 2 3 4 <<Prev | Show All |  Next>>
RE: From SI..when he got fired  
WillVAB : 2/13/2018 11:43 am : link
In comment 13830909 Ross said:
Quote:
"Aside from the magical 15–1 season that ended in a Super Bowl loss to the Broncos, the Panthers’ offense never ranked in the top-half of the league in yards and never ranked in the top-10 in points. Seven years a professional, Cam Newton continues to have problems with his footwork and missing receivers high. And about the Panthers’ planned evolution of Newton into less of a runner."

Meh


The issues Cam has are the same that he’s always had. No coach can change his flaws.
RE: Keep in mind, The biggest aspect needed out of the OC spot  
old man : 2/13/2018 11:44 am : link
In comment 13830953 montanagiant said:
[quote] Was coaching the QB's.
I view this as Shurmur is HC/OC
Shula as Asst OC/QB's coach.
+1.
Sean. +1  
Spider56 : 2/13/2018 11:45 am : link
Extend the thought to Eli vs Cam ... 2 QBs who are as far apart in many ways as possible. This is a very different scenario.
...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 2/13/2018 11:45 am : link

Paul Schwartz
‏Verified account @NYPost_Schwartz
8m8 minutes ago

Ryan Roeder, offensive assistant for Tom Coughlin and Ben McAdoo, will continue in that role on Pat Shurmur's staff. Roeder is a Great Dane - played quarterback at @UAlbanyFootball
Interesting hire...  
bLiTz 2k : 2/13/2018 11:47 am : link
I wonder what his relationships were with the players in Carolina...could attract a guy like Norwell to want to sign here.

(One can dream)
I think I know why  
Joey in VA : 2/13/2018 11:52 am : link
If Shurmur is the QB and passing game guy, it stands to reason we want a running game guy. This isn't going to blow anyone away but look at his running game attempts and yardage rankings from TB and CAR and you can clearly see a guy who is committed to running the football.
Run run run. - ( New Window )
Gettleman  
David B. : 2/13/2018 11:57 am : link
Probably knew him from Caro as well.
RE: From SI..when he got fired  
old man : 2/13/2018 11:58 am : link
In comment 13830909 Ross said:
Quote:
"Aside from the magical 15–1 season that ended in a Super Bowl loss to the Broncos, the Panthers’ offense never ranked in the top-half of the league in yards and never ranked in the top-10 in points. Seven years a professional, Cam Newton continues to have problems with his footwork and missing receivers high. And about the Panthers’ planned evolution of Newton into less of a runner."

Meh

Well....15 years and so does Eli.....And....4 years and Flowers footwork is also still problematic. He'll devise a gameplan..PS will tweek it..but his primary duty will be to get our pick @2 up and running ASAP ; 2020 the latest.
RE: I..  
Reb8thVA : 2/13/2018 11:58 am : link
In comment 13830999 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
dunno:



Quote:


wheres the new OL guru we need



On top of a Tibeten mountain or taking a pottery class in an Arizona commune??


LMAO
RE: I think I know why  
Canton : 2/13/2018 12:00 pm : link
In comment 13831043 Joey in VA said:
Quote:
If Shurmur is the QB and passing game guy, it stands to reason we want a running game guy. This isn't going to blow anyone away but look at his running game attempts and yardage rankings from TB and CAR and you can clearly see a guy who is committed to running the football. Run run run. - ( New Window )


Barkley😏
BBI Front Page update  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 2/13/2018 12:02 pm : link
with bios on Shula and Roeder.

Reports – Giants Hire Mike Shula as Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach - ( New Window )
Reminds me of Gillbride in the sense that he has a ton of experience  
Eric on Li : 2/13/2018 12:03 pm : link
and knows the QB position. Since it will be Shurmur's offense and playcalling it seems like a value to having an experienced set of eyes helping out.
I don't get the negativity  
Emil : 2/13/2018 12:04 pm : link
The Giants pretty much got a proven NFL OC to be the QB Coach, which is going to be pivotal if the organization drafts a QB this year. Not to mention, Davis Webb is on the roster. The combination of Eli, Shurmur, and Shula is a pretty good brain trust for a young QB to lean on and learn from.

I am sure Shurmur would have preferred his QB coach from the Vikings, but the Vikings made sure that would not happen. This is a more than adequate plan B.
Panthers fans  
crackerjack465 : 2/13/2018 12:09 pm : link
are laughing at us on their board. They're also very confused - they all believed that DG wanted to fire Shula for years but Ron Rivera kept him around.
We need to focus on O-Line play.  
Emlen'sGremlins : 2/13/2018 12:12 pm : link
Goodwin would've been the perfect hire for OC. Not to mention that he oversaw Top 10 offenses that lit up the scoreboard.
RE: Panthers fans  
jtfuoco : 2/13/2018 12:19 pm : link
In comment 13831081 crackerjack465 said:
Quote:
are laughing at us on their board. They're also very confused - they all believed that DG wanted to fire Shula for years but Ron Rivera kept him around.


As they should be if he was going to be the one calling plays and developing the game plan but since he wont his hire is just as good as anybody else you will find out there at this stage of the game
RE: Panthers fans  
RobCarpenter : 2/13/2018 12:20 pm : link
In comment 13831081 crackerjack465 said:
Quote:
are laughing at us on their board. They're also very confused - they all believed that DG wanted to fire Shula for years but Ron Rivera kept him around.


DG has made it very clear in other comments he's made that he would not interfere with how the head coach decided woh to hire. This was the HC's decision, not DG's.

I haven’t scrolled thru the whole thread  
GiantMike92 : 2/13/2018 12:21 pm : link
but maybe this is our way to hire Stpanski (sp) next year when his contract expires. By leaving one position open
Very interesting  
bluebuddha : 2/13/2018 12:25 pm : link
Shula's experience is in Erhardt-Perkins.
DG must think  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 2/13/2018 12:28 pm : link
highly of him from their shared time with the Panthers. I'll defer to him.
Old time low key professional.....  
MOOPS : 2/13/2018 12:29 pm : link
who's probably satisfied that a HC position will never be in the cards. Not a threat to Shurmur or to jump ship for another job. Respected by his players by most accounts.
Choices were dwindling, so......
Plus is he won't be calling plays.
I would have liked a more extensive OC search  
twostepgiants : 2/13/2018 12:34 pm : link
As far as I can tell, the Giants didnt even interview anyone. Despite having an opening for 3-4 weeks.

Im not saying I would have hired Bevell but he has the far more impressive resume as an OC. He has coached 11 seasons as an OC on 2 teams. His Vikings team went to the NFC Championship Game and then he went to 2 SBs with Seattle and won one. In Seattle he made playoffs 6 of 7 years, no losing records and won at least 1 playoff game each time. He also is credited with dicovering Russell Wilson. He scouted him, ge argued for drafting him and Carroll called him “Bevells project.” Remember that Seattle had just made a big trade for Matt Flynn who people thought highly of.

Meanwhile, Shula is the worst Head Coach in modern Alabama history. No other HC had less than a .600 winning percentage in the last 70 years. His was .303%.

Bevell interviewed with Indy, Minny & Arizona and didnt land a job so maybe there is something up with him.

I just would have liked some sort of process to getting to an OC. Seems like a panic & settle move.
To me  
Danny Kanell : 2/13/2018 12:34 pm : link
This feels like Plan R.
I dunno but  
idiotsavant : 2/13/2018 12:35 pm : link
As long as it's not 'too many chiefs not enough Indians'.

In other words, you guys keep saying that college level OL players enter the league without basic run blocking techniques.

Well. Somebody has to teach those. Teach them quickly and cohesively in an integrated way within the scheme.

So.. Who...
why so much negative speculation on the hire??  
Rory : 2/13/2018 12:36 pm : link
how can anyone of you rate a coach on a totally different football team with a totally different offensive scheme on what he will do here in NY.

Also whos to say the guy doesn't identify and address his mistakes in his next job. The guy is from a football family with ties to Alabamna and 2 other professional teams.

christ the ink isn't even dry yet and people are already acting like they everything about the guy





RE: Keep in mind, The biggest aspect needed out of the OC spot  
TMS : 2/13/2018 12:38 pm : link
In comment 13830953 montanagiant said:
Quote:
Was coaching the QB's.
I view this as Shurmur is HC/OC
Shula as Asst OC/QB's coach.

He has done well at the QB spot
Spot on description. well done.
twostepgiants  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 2/13/2018 12:40 pm : link
How the hell do you know who the Giants interviewed or didn't interview?
.  
Ryan in Albany : 2/13/2018 12:40 pm : link
Charley Casserly

Verified account

@CharleyCasserly
1h1 hour ago
More
Excellent move by @Giants in hiring Mike Shula as Offensive Coordinator @panthers @nflnetwork
LOL...  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/13/2018 12:45 pm : link
What???

Quote:
I would have liked a more extensive OC search
twostepgiants : 12:34 pm : link : reply
As far as I can tell, the Giants didnt even interview anyone. Despite having an opening for 3-4 weeks.


Not only would you not have visibility on the interviews, if a HC is already in place, interviews may or may not happen. A lot of time, the hire is an appointee of the HC.

Hiring a coordinator is usually a much different process than hiring a HC.
RE: RE: I think I know why  
TMS : 2/13/2018 12:49 pm : link
In comment 13831063 Canton said:
Quote:
In comment 13831043 Joey in VA said:


Quote:


If Shurmur is the QB and passing game guy, it stands to reason we want a running game guy. This isn't going to blow anyone away but look at his running game attempts and yardage rankings from TB and CAR and you can clearly see a guy who is committed to running the football. Run run run. - ( New Window )



Barkley😏
Makes sense and maybe Shurmur thinks they can develop Webb in a few years. Hope that is the case. Barkley improves everything on offense instantly. Now get some OL
Just sort out the fucking line  
idiotsavant : 2/13/2018 12:50 pm : link
Run the fucking bastard rock and integrate frigging goddamn reality based play action and we be happy.

I don't care of its Ronald...fucking Reagan...or ...McDonald.... Any fucking Ronald.
This could also be a stop gap measure  
T in NJ : 2/13/2018 12:55 pm : link
Stefanski's only under contract for the 2018 season. He very well may be the OC of choice, and Shula is gone after this season.
Exciting hire.  
TMS : 2/13/2018 1:00 pm : link
Shulla and Shumur are the same age (52) and come from a football family on the offensive side of the ball. On paper it looks like a formidable combination. Add ELI and the Mannings into the equation it even gets more interesting. OK DG do your thing with the OL in this draft and FA.
I agree with the sentiment that this feels like  
Chris684 : 2/13/2018 1:00 pm : link
a fall back plan. All we can do is trust those making the decisions and root for the best.

There is a bit of a stink for the NFL and these coaching searches that involve teams competing in the playoffs, but there is so much at stake I really don't know what the answer is.

Depending on how much value you place on your coordinators (think back to the Coughlin days) this offseason has proven that waiting on a candidate you like until the conference title round and beyond comes with risk. The Colts wait out McDaniels only to be left scrambling at the 11th hour. The Giants had to wait out 2 teams, once for their HC hire and twice for their OC only to have Minnesota block a promotion? Doesnt seem right.

The problem I have with this staff is the guy I like most (Bettcher) figures to be only stopping here for a cup of coffee if his unit is as successful as we all hope. That sucks alot.

...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 2/13/2018 1:05 pm : link

Kimberly Jones
‏Verified account @KimJonesSports
1m1 minute ago

Hearing #NYG announcement on Mike Shula hiring may not happen today. Will happen in next day or two. Not a McDaniels/Colts scenario. (I asked.)
RE: From SI..when he got fired  
Giants1956 : 2/13/2018 1:07 pm : link
In comment 13830909 Ross said:
Quote:
"Aside from the magical 15–1 season that ended in a Super Bowl loss to the Broncos, the Panthers’ offense never ranked in the top-half of the league in yards and never ranked in the top-10 in points. Seven years a professional, Cam Newton continues to have problems with his footwork and missing receivers high. And about the Panthers’ planned evolution of Newton into less of a runner."

Meh


Then it would seem, Ross, that the Panthers' OC wasn't
or isn't the problem. I think Cam has been one of the
most successful 'mobile QB's' BUT, I don't believe that
the 'Running QB' can stay the course. The QB with running
ability might be blessed that their feet can get them
out of trouble. But over time, I think the 'run option'
becomes habitual. A less mobile QB like Eli, usually
develop a sense of 'presence' of what is happening
around him and can often hold out for just enough
for one of his receivers to free up.
Shula - told you so  
Ivan15 : 2/13/2018 1:11 pm : link
.
Shula was in a tough spot last year  
Go Terps : 2/13/2018 1:13 pm : link
Carolina drafted McCaffrey too high and he was forced to try to shoe horn him in to the offense.
That said,  
Go Terps : 2/13/2018 1:15 pm : link
the moves made this offseason do nothing for me. I'm not excited about where this team is going at all.
RE: That said,  
BrettNYG10 : 2/13/2018 1:17 pm : link
In comment 13831212 Go Terps said:
Quote:
the moves made this offseason do nothing for me. I'm not excited about where this team is going at all.


Who did you want as HC?
He fits what PS  
Dave on the UWS : 2/13/2018 1:22 pm : link
said he was looking for. There is now a very experienced, professional staff in place. That should help with locker room culture.
RE: just glad  
Gatorade Dunk : 2/13/2018 1:28 pm : link
In comment 13831014 GiantsLaw said:
Quote:
it's not Bevell

Why? Because of a play call that Pete Carroll made?
Ok Terps  
Dave on the UWS : 2/13/2018 1:36 pm : link
Who would you have hired for HC, OC and DC?
Like it  
jeff57 : 2/13/2018 1:36 pm : link
.
RE: Panthers fans  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 2/13/2018 1:39 pm : link
In comment 13831081 crackerjack465 said:
Quote:
are laughing at us on their board. They're also very confused - they all believed that DG wanted to fire Shula for years but Ron Rivera kept him around.


Oh nooooes, say it ain't so! :o


RE: That said,  
RobCarpenter : 2/13/2018 1:46 pm : link
In comment 13831212 Go Terps said:
Quote:
the moves made this offseason do nothing for me. I'm not excited about where this team is going at all.


What would you have rather seen?
RE: RE: That said,  
Go Terps : 2/13/2018 1:47 pm : link
In comment 13831217 BrettNYG10 said:
Quote:

Who did you want as HC?


I think we could have made Belichick happen, and I wonder how much we tried (if at all). The timing for Belichick to make the move was never going to be better. It's complete speculation on my part, but I know if I were Mara I'd move mountains to make it happen.

I don't hate the Shurmur hire; I just wonder on a couple levels how much sense it makes. On one hand we have the owner and GM verbally committing to keeping Eli around while on the other we hired a West Coast offensive coach that calls his own plays. Didn't we just go through that with McAdoo? Haven't we, after 14 years, identified Eli's strengths and weaknesses and noted that the West Coast offense doesn't meet his strengths? If the conviction was to keep Eli why weren't we more focused on bringing Kubiak here, or hiring Norv Turner?

But it's not just the head coach hire. I look at this team right now and I see the results of about 5 years of bad management from ownership down.

- Why does the locker room have so many idiots in it?
- Why was the Eli benching allowed to be such a debacle?
- Why is ownership making public statements on whether or not Eli and Beckham will be here and for how long, and making those statements after Reese was fired and before the new GM was hired?
- Why are we saying anything publicly one way or the other on Eli when we have the 2nd pick in a QB heavy draft?

I don't think the Giants are a particularly well run team. It would have been easy to pin this just on Reese, but I don't feel good about how things have gone since he was fired either.

RE: Those twitter responses are decidedly mixed  
clatterbuck : 2/13/2018 1:49 pm : link
In comment 13830908 Bill L said:
Quote:
he looks to have a lot of experience as a QB coach, so maybe it is a sign that they will pick a QB #2 and go for a tank job.


Geez, I thought you were supposed to go for a tank job in order to get the #2 pick, not after.
RE: RE: RE: That said,  
BrettNYG10 : 2/13/2018 1:57 pm : link
In comment 13831253 Go Terps said:
Quote:
In comment 13831217 BrettNYG10 said:


Quote:



Who did you want as HC?



I think we could have made Belichick happen, and I wonder how much we tried (if at all). The timing for Belichick to make the move was never going to be better. It's complete speculation on my part, but I know if I were Mara I'd move mountains to make it happen.

I don't hate the Shurmur hire; I just wonder on a couple levels how much sense it makes. On one hand we have the owner and GM verbally committing to keeping Eli around while on the other we hired a West Coast offensive coach that calls his own plays. Didn't we just go through that with McAdoo? Haven't we, after 14 years, identified Eli's strengths and weaknesses and noted that the West Coast offense doesn't meet his strengths? If the conviction was to keep Eli why weren't we more focused on bringing Kubiak here, or hiring Norv Turner?

But it's not just the head coach hire. I look at this team right now and I see the results of about 5 years of bad management from ownership down.

- Why does the locker room have so many idiots in it?
- Why was the Eli benching allowed to be such a debacle?
- Why is ownership making public statements on whether or not Eli and Beckham will be here and for how long, and making those statements after Reese was fired and before the new GM was hired?
- Why are we saying anything publicly one way or the other on Eli when we have the 2nd pick in a QB heavy draft?

I don't think the Giants are a particularly well run team. It would have been easy to pin this just on Reese, but I don't feel good about how things have gone since he was fired either.


Interesting. If Belichick wasn't realistic, Shurmur was the guy I wanted.

I agree with you on the public comments regarding Eli. I'm curious to see what's actually done. I'd prefer to see Webb for a few games and then throw the 1st round pick in. Having Eli here makes that impossible, and might delay the appearance of the next QB until 2019. Unless the team really thinks it can win within the next two years with Eli, or doesn't value any of the QBs, of course.

I kind of wanted a GM outside the 'family', but I do like Gettleman. I'm willing to give him a bit of time. But I agree that the issues run a bit deeper and think some band-aids need to be ripped off sooner rather than later.

I'm actually a bit concerned about Collins - I'm not sure if he's going to be an above-average starter, or a guy we can bank on as a force like he was in 2016. I also didn't like his public comments the past couple months, but that's a tertiary concern for me.
RE: Shula was in a tough spot last year  
Pep22 : 2/13/2018 1:58 pm : link
In comment 13831209 Go Terps said:
Quote:
Carolina drafted McCaffrey too high and he was forced to try to shoe horn him in to the offense.


This is an odd/inaccurate comment. CMC had a very good rookie year (80 catches, 9 TDs, 1000 yards from scrimmage).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 <<Prev | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner