Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

7 Round Mock (Kinda Long)

uncledave : 2/13/2018 11:52 am
Rd1 Derrius Guice RB LSU 5'11 212
Rd2 Will Hernandez OG TX EL PASSO 6'2 348
Rd3 Chad Thomas DE THE U 6'6 275
Rd4 Will Clapp OC/G LSU 6'5 314
Rd4Comp John Kelly RB TENN 5'9 205
Rd5 Mike McCray ILB MICH 6'4 248
Rd6 KC McDermott OT MIAMI 6'7 300
Rd7 Ethan Wolf TE TENN 6'6 258

Elephant in the room, none of you agree with me on Guice, cool story bro. Dude has been just as productive as Barkley but against the SEC, runs like Bradshaw and has a better YAC than Barkley. To me, Guice is a more pure NFL runner and his speed is going to show at the combine. So why John Kelly you ask? Who da fluck is John Kelly? Catch a highlight tape of him and understand that I am a fan of tenacious run styles and you should be too. Small guy who's gonna get knocked for it and passed up on but there are plenty of these shifty little fuckers all over the league so I don't buy that myth.

I would resign Fluker and move Flowers to RT, sign Solder to play LT and insert Hernandez in place of Pugh with Clapp battling it out with Brett Jones for Richburg's job cause I wouldn't bring him back either, Clapp has the drive to also make a play at either Guard spot. Kc McDermott has the height and his weight might be light but he has some solid foot speed, with some NFL polishing, a muscle building diet, and workout plan, I think the kid could really blossom.

Solder Hernandez Clapp Fluker Flowers

Chad Thomas has the ideal size, long arms, and had a nicely improved season in 2017. The tutelage of JPP Vernon and Snacks is going to be essential for the kid's growth.

Mike McCray is what you want in a LB but has had some injuries and spotty performances. When healthy he can do it all and he's an instinctive player displaying some solid reads during the Senior Bowl. Hard to come by size/skill at the position that late in the draft and Gettleman want backers. I am also a fan of Oren Burks from Vandy.

Which leads us to Ethan Wolf. From the UTENN website profile on the kid:

"Passed Jason Witten for fourth most receiving yards by a tight end in program history with a 28-yard touchdown catch at No. 24 Florida (9/16)"

Has ideal size and was under utilized at TENN in my opinion. Dude can catch and has a nice highlight reel of end-zone grabs, known to be able to hold his own as a pass protector, needs some polishing on his route running but from what I gather he is a hard worker and can be coached.

Crazy I know and not a lot of help for the defense. I think beefing up the line like that makes sense and the dual running back threat can be seen all over the league (Saints, Eagles, etc.). Those two along with probably Gallman would tire a defense down over the course of a game and open a lot up for Eli and the receivers.

Thoughts?
Gettleman  
ryanmkeane : 2/13/2018 11:56 am : link
might get canned on the spot if he took Guice at 2...
.  
bLiTz 2k : 2/13/2018 11:58 am : link
Whether Guice is better than Barkley is a secondary discussion...  
Capt. Don : 2/13/2018 12:01 pm : link
The questions is, what is the latest slot you could possibly take Guice?

The answer is almost certainly MUCH later than the 2nd overall pick.
Guice  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 12:02 pm : link
might be all those things, but you didn't make a case that he's actually better than Barkley, nor a case that even if what you say is true, that he's worthy of the #2 pick overall, which he's not. If your thesis is right, it would mean Barkley shouldn't be a consideration at #2, it doesn't mean Guice should be.
And what about JPP's effort and Production  
Capt. Don : 2/13/2018 12:03 pm : link
makes you want him to tutor anyone?
Gettlemen would be fired before day 2 of the draft  
ZogZerg : 2/13/2018 12:05 pm : link
LOL
RE: And what about JPP's effort and Production  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 12:07 pm : link
In comment 13831069 Capt. Don said:
Quote:
makes you want him to tutor anyone?


I think JPP still needs a tutor.
You're fired for the #2 pick alone  
JonC : 2/13/2018 12:09 pm : link
.
This is a horrible draft.  
BLUATHRT : 2/13/2018 12:11 pm : link
It's like you were trying to drive shock value versus trying to draft with some semblance of reality.
Uncledave  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 12:12 pm : link
I'm not completely killing you.

I like your plan for the OL. Love Hernandez, and like the idea of moving Flowers to the right side and bringing in Solder. Hopefully Clapp is good enough to start because if he can't cut it then the center position can be a problem. I want Richburg back, honestly.
Also  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 12:15 pm : link
I don't think we have a 7th round pick this year because of the trade for Ross Cockrell.
Plus we don't need another TE  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 12:18 pm : link
anyway. We have Engram, Ellison, and Adams, and just claimed Kyle Carter from waivers, who Shurmur has a history with and obviously likes from the Vikings. I don't think a draft pick at TE has much of a chance of even making the team.
Well....  
old man : 2/13/2018 12:20 pm : link
In fairness....it's different.
It might work for Sean Payton...Kyle Shanahan...Sean McVay.
Its not what DG has in mind.
Unbelievable  
Bruner4329 : 2/13/2018 12:22 pm : link
So we are drafting a guy number 2 that most expect will be gone in the latter part of round 1? You can't make this stuff up. If you really felt that you wanted to draft this guy then at least have the common sense to propose trading down and acquiring more picks such as trading with Buffalo and getting the 20 and 21st picks plus. I am sure this guy would be available at 20 or 21
If that's your plan than trade down  
idiotsavant : 2/13/2018 12:22 pm : link
.op
So this was why I prefaced  
uncledave : 2/13/2018 12:30 pm : link
my explanation the way that I did. I think Guice is the best RB to come out since Gurley and think he is going to be a game changer. To me, I would take him at two but if a trade down was plausible of course that's the first move. I am not a fan of mocks with trade downs as they are far less likely to play out. I think Guice could run a 4.3 at the combine which is going to make a difference. He just has a running style unlike any other I've seen in a while.
Check out this 247sports Giants could target Guice write up - ( New Window )
RE: Also  
uncledave : 2/13/2018 12:32 pm : link
In comment 13831092 allstarjim said:
Quote:
I don't think we have a 7th round pick this year because of the trade for Ross Cockrell.


Good to know and I agree with you TE isn't a need but I think the kid has a ton of talent and is a great fit for the pros. I am also intrigued by Eddy Pineiro the Kicker from Florida as a priority UDFA. Think he will have a stellar pro career as well and it would be nice to cement a reliable kicker in the lineup.
RE: Gettleman  
Beer Man : 2/13/2018 12:35 pm : link
In comment 13831052 ryanmkeane said:
Quote:
might get canned on the spot if he took Guice at 2...
+1.
RE: So this was why I prefaced  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 12:35 pm : link
In comment 13831124 uncledave said:
Quote:
my explanation the way that I did. I think Guice is the best RB to come out since Gurley and think he is going to be a game changer. To me, I would take him at two but if a trade down was plausible of course that's the first move. I am not a fan of mocks with trade downs as they are far less likely to play out. I think Guice could run a 4.3 at the combine which is going to make a difference. He just has a running style unlike any other I've seen in a while. Check out this 247sports Giants could target Guice write up - ( New Window )



UNCLEDAVE! 4.3? He clearly doesn't have that speed. At least it doesn't show in pads. I think it will be surprising if he runs faster than a 4.5. I expect him to be in that low to mid 4.5 area...high 4.4's at best.
Guice is so good  
Dankbeerman : 2/13/2018 12:37 pm : link
you have to draft another back in rd 4?

And if your gonna bother adding a comp pick on your own accord, you could at least take into account that we dont have a 7th rd pick.
RE: RE: So this was why I prefaced  
uncledave : 2/13/2018 12:38 pm : link
In comment 13831139 allstarjim said:
Quote:
In comment 13831124 uncledave said:


Quote:


my explanation the way that I did. I think Guice is the best RB to come out since Gurley and think he is going to be a game changer. To me, I would take him at two but if a trade down was plausible of course that's the first move. I am not a fan of mocks with trade downs as they are far less likely to play out. I think Guice could run a 4.3 at the combine which is going to make a difference. He just has a running style unlike any other I've seen in a while. Check out this 247sports Giants could target Guice write up - ( New Window )




UNCLEDAVE! 4.3? He clearly doesn't have that speed. At least it doesn't show in pads. I think it will be surprising if he runs faster than a 4.5. I expect him to be in that low to mid 4.5 area...high 4.4's at best.


Dude I would bet 4.4 is a lock and a high 4.3 is probable. People don't understand how quick this kid is... he is going to test off the charts in a few combine drills i think
The Giants are taking a QB at #2.  
BillT : 2/13/2018 12:39 pm : link
There is no other option. Eli is 37 and the chances of getting a #2 pick again, in a draft with multiple good QB prospects to pick from there, are slim and none. Stop with the RB, OTs, DEs. It's going to be a QB.
RE: RE: RE: So this was why I prefaced  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 12:40 pm : link
In comment 13831149 uncledave said:
Quote:
In comment 13831139 allstarjim said:


Quote:


In comment 13831124 uncledave said:


Quote:


my explanation the way that I did. I think Guice is the best RB to come out since Gurley and think he is going to be a game changer. To me, I would take him at two but if a trade down was plausible of course that's the first move. I am not a fan of mocks with trade downs as they are far less likely to play out. I think Guice could run a 4.3 at the combine which is going to make a difference. He just has a running style unlike any other I've seen in a while. Check out this 247sports Giants could target Guice write up - ( New Window )




UNCLEDAVE! 4.3? He clearly doesn't have that speed. At least it doesn't show in pads. I think it will be surprising if he runs faster than a 4.5. I expect him to be in that low to mid 4.5 area...high 4.4's at best.



Dude I would bet 4.4 is a lock and a high 4.3 is probable. People don't understand how quick this kid is... he is going to test off the charts in a few combine drills i think


betya a dolla!
Well  
idiotsavant : 2/13/2018 12:43 pm : link
If rbs are moving up the charts according to some of you.

Sy sounds like ols are moving up.

We trade down a few spots...bingo.
RE: RE: RE: RE: So this was why I prefaced  
uncledave : 2/13/2018 12:43 pm : link
In comment 13831155 allstarjim said:
Quote:
In comment 13831149 uncledave said:


Quote:


In comment 13831139 allstarjim said:


Quote:


In comment 13831124 uncledave said:


Quote:


my explanation the way that I did. I think Guice is the best RB to come out since Gurley and think he is going to be a game changer. To me, I would take him at two but if a trade down was plausible of course that's the first move. I am not a fan of mocks with trade downs as they are far less likely to play out. I think Guice could run a 4.3 at the combine which is going to make a difference. He just has a running style unlike any other I've seen in a while. Check out this 247sports Giants could target Guice write up - ( New Window )




UNCLEDAVE! 4.3? He clearly doesn't have that speed. At least it doesn't show in pads. I think it will be surprising if he runs faster than a 4.5. I expect him to be in that low to mid 4.5 area...high 4.4's at best.



Dude I would bet 4.4 is a lock and a high 4.3 is probable. People don't understand how quick this kid is... he is going to test off the charts in a few combine drills i think



betya a dolla!


I'll raise it to $4.30
RE: Well  
uncledave : 2/13/2018 12:45 pm : link
In comment 13831160 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
If rbs are moving up the charts according to some of you.

Sy sounds like ols are moving up.

We trade down a few spots...bingo.


I really wouldn't be against that at all. Who in their right mind would be?! It's amazing some of the posters on here have nothing better to do but whine. I don't need to spend the time on a write-up and mock like this but I know this community appreciates the discussion and takes on mid to late round guys in particular because most people don't dig that deep.
Zero  
AcidTest : 2/13/2018 12:55 pm : link
chance we or anybody else takes Guice at #2.
RE: RE: Well  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 1:00 pm : link
In comment 13831171 uncledave said:
Quote:
In comment 13831160 idiotsavant said:


Quote:


If rbs are moving up the charts according to some of you.

Sy sounds like ols are moving up.

We trade down a few spots...bingo.



I really wouldn't be against that at all. Who in their right mind would be?! It's amazing some of the posters on here have nothing better to do but whine. I don't need to spend the time on a write-up and mock like this but I know this community appreciates the discussion and takes on mid to late round guys in particular because most people don't dig that deep.


It's a BBI tradition to beat up others' opinions and analysis, dave. Don't worry about it. You have to let it roll off. I love the draft as well. I get excited not just about the top guys, but trying to learn about and find those diamonds in the rough in the later rounds, or speculating about who might be really good values. It's all good. I haven't seen a lot about Kelly except that I believe I read speculation that he's more in the UDFA category. Is that not right?

I like Chad Thomas' physical profile but only 9 sacks in the last 24 games...for a guy like him at the college level I'd like to see more, but I guess that's why he's not projected to go in the first 2 rounds or so.
RE: Unbelievable  
NikkiMac : 2/13/2018 1:16 pm : link
In comment 13831105 Bruner4329 said:
Quote:
So we are drafting a guy number 2 that most expect will be gone in the latter part of round 1? You can't make this stuff up. If you really felt that you wanted to draft this guy then at least have the common sense to propose trading down and acquiring more picks such as trading with Buffalo and getting the 20 and 21st picks plus. I am sure this guy would be available at 20 or 21



Yes there the Gmen could draft Guice and Orlando Brown that might work but not at #2
uncledave...  
M.S. : 2/13/2018 1:21 pm : link
...clearly you put a lotta thought and work into this 7-round mock, and I like a few of your selections.

But Geez Louise, I think Derrius Guice is a fantastic runner, but the thought of grabbing him with the second overall pick in the draft is a real bad idea.

And it colors how some may view the rest of your mock which is pretty interesting.
RE: uncledave...  
uncledave : 2/13/2018 1:33 pm : link
In comment 13831223 M.S. said:
Quote:
...clearly you put a lotta thought and work into this 7-round mock, and I like a few of your selections.

But Geez Louise, I think Derrius Guice is a fantastic runner, but the thought of grabbing him with the second overall pick in the draft is a real bad idea.

And it colors how some may view the rest of your mock which is pretty interesting.


MS thanks for the kind words and I get most people view it as a bad idea, but on the small chance, he becomes one of the two best players in the draft a decade from now I won't look nearly as crazy. I am of the opinion that if you like a guy that much you take them cause what happens if you trade down and someone scoops him up beforehand. I've been on this board for well over a decade so it is no surprise to me that everyone opposes Guice at 2. Only time will tell
What are you nuts?  
Giantslifer : 2/13/2018 2:28 pm : link
The Giants have way too many holes to draft any RB in first round. RB's are short lived and mostly interchangeable.
I like Guice a lot  
est1986 : 2/13/2018 2:48 pm : link
But I would drop dead if they took him number two overall... I would be pissed TF off if we grabbed Guice anywhere in the draft over Barkley and Ro Jo if all were available.

Ro Jo is being underrated... letís go USC 1&2 Darnold and Ro Jo... NY Trojans
Genius  
PaulN : 2/13/2018 3:25 pm : link
On Board.
We donít have a  
Earl the goat : 2/13/2018 3:36 pm : link
7th
unreadable draft I stopped after your first pick  
Torrag : 2/13/2018 3:56 pm : link
Talk about stupid.
I don't want to pile on  
Peppers : 2/13/2018 4:50 pm : link
And I really like Guice but Guice at 2 is crazy talk lol.

I really like John Kelly as well. One of my sleeper backs. Doesn't stand out in any one area but just a determined runner. Has the "won't be denied" mentality. Fun to watch. He has a nice jump cut and stiff arm but you can see he lacks the quick twitch and extra gear.
If Bill B makes Solder a respectable offer, he wonít leave New England  
Ivan15 : 2/13/2018 6:28 pm : link
Donít you guys have kids?
Your first round pick  
ghost718 : 2/13/2018 7:02 pm : link
is that a Gettleman dedication to Jerry?
How would you guys feel about this draft  
Breeze_94 : 2/13/2018 9:28 pm : link
1. QB Sam Darnold, USC. I think CLE takes Barkley or Mayfield 1, leaving the Giants with Darnold or Rosen. I prefer Darnold because of his clean medicals, higher ceiling, and mobility.

2. G/C Billy Price, OSU. A day one starter on the interior. I'd plug him in at RG next season. He has all-pro potential at C.

3. LB/EDGE Lorenzo Carter, UGA. 6'6 245. Great at setting the edge. Disruptive pass-rusher. Great athlete. Can cover as well.

4a. OT Andre Dillard, Wash St. 6'5, 300. I think he has some Will Beatty to his game. Not a mauler, but a solid technician who can play LT in the pros.

4b. RB Royce Freeman, Oregon- DG will like this guy. Similar to J. Stewart. Big, physical runner. 6'0, 235lbs with good feet.

5. LB Shaun Dion-Hamilton, Bama- has an injury history, but I think he has the making of a solid starter at ILB.

6. CB Darius Phillips, Western Michigan- nickel corner with explosive return ability
Breeze  
Nomad Crow on the Madison : 2/14/2018 6:35 am : link
I like that draft. I would love it if we got Lorenzo Carter in the third round. He has just started to play up to his potential. I can live with Darnold. He seems like a good kid with upside. Price or Wynn or Hernandez in the second round all make sense. Another name that might be in play there is James Daniels, OC/OG. I'll leave it to Gettelman to sort out the best of that bunch.
Back to the Corner