Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: A return of "Seinfeld".... possible?

DanMetroMan : 2/13/2018 2:24 pm
Feel free to dip the comedian’s remarks in all the pretzel salt you can find, but it seems Jerry Seinfeld may have been worn down by years of inquiries about a revival. Asked during an Ellen appearance about Seinfeld’s potential in an age where Roseanne, Murphy Brown, Will & Grace and others are all dusting off their old sets, the comedian sheepishly offered “it’s possible,” to thunderous applause from the crowd.
Link - ( New Window )
.  
arcarsenal : 2/13/2018 2:26 pm : link
I think they'd be able to pull this off really well, actually - with all of the new tech out there, there's like 1000 different things they could have episodes about.

I still doubt it happens, but I hope it does.

Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer in the world of smartphones, Uber's, etc.. so much potential.
Sounds about right  
Bill L : 2/13/2018 2:29 pm : link
Sholdn't they be up for parole now?
w/o larry david it wouldnt work  
Joey from GlenCove : 2/13/2018 2:29 pm : link
-
I would watch  
steve in ky : 2/13/2018 2:30 pm : link
but I'm guessing it would be a disappointment.



I mean I'd definitely watch this...  
Metnut : 2/13/2018 2:31 pm : link
who am I kidding. But, I thought Curb did such a great job with the reunion arc that I'm not really craving new Seinfeld content.
RE: w/o larry david it wouldnt work  
DanMetroMan : 2/13/2018 2:32 pm : link
In comment 13831300 Joey from GlenCove said:
Quote:
-


Final 2 seasons outside of the finale were without Larry David.
Isn't Michael Richards toxic,  
Bill L : 2/13/2018 2:33 pm : link
since his meltdown?
RE: Isn't Michael Richards toxic,  
steve in ky : 2/13/2018 2:34 pm : link
In comment 13831308 Bill L said:
Quote:
since his meltdown?


I think Jerry Seinfeld has be very supportive of him through out it all so I doubt that would matter at this point.
Interesting to hear just as Veep is entering its last season too  
Stu11 : 2/13/2018 2:37 pm : link
so JLD would be free'd up. I'd definitely watch. Its been a long time since the Richards rant, They even wrote it into the Seinfeld reunion season of Curb a few years back. Nobody could ever hold a long grudge vs. Kramer.
They basically did a reunion on a season of Curb Your Enthusiasm  
Ben in Tampa : 2/13/2018 2:38 pm : link
and it was hysterical.
Yes please...  
NYG07 : 2/13/2018 2:39 pm : link
I saw Jerry do stand up at Caesars palace around Christmas 2016 and he was great. I also enjoy his comedians in cars getting coffee show.

There is one big issue though. With Curb back in action would Larry David be willing to co-write for Seinfeld? He is a must if the show were to come back.
I'd love for them to just do a limited run  
Heisenberg : 2/13/2018 2:39 pm : link
Wouldn't have to be a full season.

But to be honest, it'd be more likely to disappoint than anything else.
Sounds good to me...  
GFAN52 : 2/13/2018 2:39 pm : link
if they can get the whole cast back. Don't forget the bring back Newman and the Soup Nazi.
Hopefully 90-year-old Jerry Stiller  
bceagle05 : 2/13/2018 2:40 pm : link
would be up for a cameo at least.
RE: RE: w/o larry david it wouldnt work  
NNJ Tom : 2/13/2018 2:40 pm : link
In comment 13831306 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
In comment 13831300 Joey from GlenCove said:


Quote:


-



Final 2 seasons outside of the finale were without Larry David.


Yes, and they sucked. If Curbed proved anything, David was the show.
I'm hearing the soup Nazi is part of the deal...  
Slade : 2/13/2018 2:40 pm : link
Stay tuned...
Didn't someone write a thing, though, on how so many Seinfeld plots  
Greg from LI : 2/13/2018 2:40 pm : link
would be rendered pointless in an age of smartphones because so many of them hinged on things like not being able to get in touch with someone, or incorrect information, things like that?

I don't know that they could do a full-on season. By the final season, they were really running out of gas. There were a lot of comparatively weak episodes towards the end where the show just got ridiculous - it made its bones as the show about the absurdities of everyday life, the little things we all experience, and by the end Kramer was rebuilding the Merv Griffin set in his living room, George is trying to hustle a Frogger machine across a busy street, Kramer's shoving a giant rubber ball of oil of of a window, and Jerry's slicing open a dead parrot to retrieve a key.

Maybe it's something they could do as a limited run thing?
Online dating and social media  
bceagle05 : 2/13/2018 2:44 pm : link
would definitely be fertile ground. George forgets to post "Happy Birthday" on his girlfriend's Facebook page or something, even though he called her.

Jerry has said repeatedly that "nobody wants to see Kramer's 50th birthday party," i.e, it was meant as a show about single NYC folks in their 30s, so I'd have my doubts about it happening.
RE: I'm hearing the soup Nazi is part of the deal...  
Giantology : 2/13/2018 2:55 pm : link
In comment 13831324 Slade said:
Quote:
Stay tuned...


Oh for fuck's sake
RE: I'm hearing the soup Nazi is part of the deal...  
arcarsenal : 2/13/2018 2:59 pm : link
In comment 13831324 Slade said:
Quote:
Stay tuned...


It's played out, man. Give it up.

Literally just cringeworthy at this point.
RE: RE: I'm hearing the soup Nazi is part of the deal...  
Gatorade Dunk : 2/13/2018 3:00 pm : link
In comment 13831343 Giantology said:
Quote:
In comment 13831324 Slade said:


Quote:


Stay tuned...



Oh for fuck's sake

He's now all but announcing that he's a parody and a troll, yet there is no getting rid of him.
RE: I'm hearing the soup Nazi is part of the deal...  
NYG07 : 2/13/2018 3:00 pm : link
In comment 13831324 Slade said:
Quote:
Stay tuned...


LOL! Well played Slade
this has been done already  
Rocky369 : 2/13/2018 3:01 pm : link
in a sense. Check out Modern Seinfeld the twitter.
I only have one request  
Greg from LI : 2/13/2018 3:02 pm : link
If they do bring it back in any way or form, they have got to bring back Mickey Abbott.
Can't access the twitter at work  
Rocky369 : 2/13/2018 3:03 pm : link
here's a sampling.

Jerry’s gf dumps him for not wishing her happy bday on Facebook. J:”I said it to her face!” E:”But her friends can’t see that &get jealous.”

— Modern Seinfeld (@SeinfeldToday) May 14, 2014

Jerry gets paranoid about his girlfriend’s past when her iPhone automatically connects to the wi-fi at Newman’s apartment.

— Modern Seinfeld (@SeinfeldToday) June 3, 2014

George is too scared to break up with his intimidating girlfriend so he just repeatedly responds to her texts with “New phone. Who’s this?”

— Modern Seinfeld (@SeinfeldToday) May 19, 2014
Top 25 according to somebody - ( New Window )
.  
arcarsenal : 2/13/2018 3:04 pm : link
Yeah, I've seen the Modern Seinfeld twitter - there are so many things they could touch on, though. I feel like a modern reboot could be really funny if they did it right.
Ha! I nailed the Facebook one.  
bceagle05 : 2/13/2018 3:08 pm : link
.
Yeah, tough without Larry David.  
manh george : 2/13/2018 3:11 pm : link
The mindset of the writers will always have to be "WWLD"--What would Larry Do?

They definitely need the guitar, though.

Nowadays, it will also be tricky to keep politics out of it, I think.
Very..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/13/2018 3:16 pm : link
appropriate.

Quote:
He's now all but announcing that he's a parody and a troll, yet there is no getting rid of him.


He's become BBI's version of, "Heeellllllloooooooooooooooo".
I doubt it happens.  
Mr. Bungle : 2/13/2018 3:25 pm : link
And if it did, I think it would be really forced and pretty unfunny.

Larry and Jerry have lost their fastballs as comedy writers, and there'd be too much pressure to just rehash and amplify the popular characteristics of Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer instead of developing the characters any further (which there isn't much room for anyway).

I just don't think there's much unexplored territory for those characters. So I wouldn't see a (creative) point.

Of course, it would make a ton of money for them if they did it. So that might be all that matters.
RE: I'm hearing the soup Nazi is part of the deal...  
HomerJones45 : 2/13/2018 3:26 pm : link
In comment 13831324 Slade said:
Quote:
Stay tuned...
Well played! Let no one claim that you don't have a sense of humor.
RE: I doubt it happens.  
Les in TO : 2/13/2018 3:34 pm : link
In comment 13831390 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
And if it did, I think it would be really forced and pretty unfunny.

Larry and Jerry have lost their fastballs as comedy writers, and there'd be too much pressure to just rehash and amplify the popular characteristics of Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer instead of developing the characters any further (which there isn't much room for anyway).

I just don't think there's much unexplored territory for those characters. So I wouldn't see a (creative) point.

Of course, it would make a ton of money for them if they did it. So that might be all that matters.
larry and jerry with 80% of their fastballs are still pretty funny. I'm enjoying this season of Curb. Fatwa!!!
possible with Netflix  
spike : 2/13/2018 4:05 pm : link
no real deadlines.. just make 5 episodes if they like.
RE: possible with Netflix  
Ira : 2/13/2018 4:27 pm : link
In comment 13831446 spike said:
Quote:
no real deadlines.. just make 5 episodes if they like.


That's a good point.
RE: RE: I doubt it happens.  
Mr. Bungle : 2/13/2018 5:46 pm : link
In comment 13831404 Les in TO said:
Quote:
In comment 13831390 Mr. Bungle said:


Quote:


And if it did, I think it would be really forced and pretty unfunny.

Larry and Jerry have lost their fastballs as comedy writers, and there'd be too much pressure to just rehash and amplify the popular characteristics of Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer instead of developing the characters any further (which there isn't much room for anyway).

I just don't think there's much unexplored territory for those characters. So I wouldn't see a (creative) point.

Of course, it would make a ton of money for them if they did it. So that might be all that matters.

larry and jerry with 80% of their fastballs are still pretty funny. I'm enjoying this season of Curb. Fatwa!!!

The fatwa storyline was so lame. Completely unfunny.

The season finally got pretty funny when they moved away from it.
They're not bringing it back  
BlackLight : 2/13/2018 5:55 pm : link
Just stop it.
please no. the final season was lame enough.  
Victor in CT : 2/14/2018 9:44 am : link
......
what a money grab it could be though  
oghwga : 2/14/2018 10:03 am : link
imagine what netflix or hulu would pay
RE: Online dating and social media  
Beezer : 2/14/2018 10:31 am : link
In comment 13831328 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
would definitely be fertile ground. George forgets to post "Happy Birthday" on his girlfriend's Facebook page or something, even though he called her.

Jerry has said repeatedly that "nobody wants to see Kramer's 50th birthday party," i.e, it was meant as a show about single NYC folks in their 30s, so I'd have my doubts about it happening.


You kidding me? Jerry's character was based on his actual life as a comedian. So, he's married with a daughter, lots of cars, etc. Elaine is divorced (maybe a nod to "Old Susan"). There are so many possibilities with George and/or Kramer. I don't think it would be limited by tech. Instead, a wide-open palate.
I've actually been enjoying  
Beezer : 2/14/2018 10:37 am : link
several episodes of Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee." Mindless, relaxing fun.
The last 2 seasons  
giantsfan227B : 2/14/2018 10:48 am : link
of Seinfeld weren't that great especially the finale. They had their moments but unless they are really going to be funny and Not-politically correct like real and spectacular, taking care of oneself, making fun of those wearing ribbons or It's like this everyday in Puerto Rico, then I'll just watch the re-runs.
Back to the Corner