Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Conforto expected back in spring games next week

ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 10:45 am
Great news if true and much sooner than expected.
Link - ( New Window )
this will be huge  
mphbullet36 : 3/13/2018 10:46 am : link
move Bruce to full time 1B and waive Adrian Gonzalez geriatric a**. Let Nimmo/Lagares platoon in CF and Conforto plays RF
He's  
DanMetroMan : 3/13/2018 10:47 am : link
badly needed. The lineup on paper is hideous right now.
4-7  
DanMetroMan : 3/13/2018 10:49 am : link
right now is Frazier, Adrian Gonzalez, Cabrera, Catcher and then Rosario or pitcher and then Rosario. That's ugly on paper.
Looks  
DanMetroMan : 3/13/2018 10:50 am : link
like Conlon has already been eliminated from MLB job competition (or he's hurt).
I think a lot of that is because of  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 10:51 am : link
Rosario/Smith. I think the lineup was only ever going to take a step into the upper third if these guys stepped up in 2018. The catchers are both hitting, Nimmo is hitting, and Conforto, Cespedes, Bruce, Frazier, Cabrera should at least give us enough of a foundation where we are middle of the pack this year at worst. I donít see a top lineup this year though unless Rosario/Smith contribute.
RE: I think a lot of that is because of  
DanMetroMan : 3/13/2018 10:54 am : link
In comment 13861556 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
Rosario/Smith. I think the lineup was only ever going to take a step into the upper third if these guys stepped up in 2018. The catchers are both hitting, Nimmo is hitting, and Conforto, Cespedes, Bruce, Frazier, Cabrera should at least give us enough of a foundation where we are middle of the pack this year at worst. I donít see a top lineup this year though unless Rosario/Smith contribute.


No disagreement here. They need Smith/Rosario to be good MLB offensive players in the near future. Rosario has not looked good this spring. It's only ST but it's possible both he and Smith take some time before they are even league average offensively (obviously the baseline for Smith at 1b is much higher)
Iím officially on the  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 10:58 am : link
ďPitching is bouncing backĒ train. Wheeler has looked really good. Gsellman/Lugo look like legit backend starters again. Syndergaard is back and 100%. Results havenít been there for Matz/Harvey but there are positive signs there as well over the last start or two this spring.
Doesnít just stink on laper  
Shecky : 3/13/2018 10:59 am : link
It stinks on grass and dirt too
this lineup looks much better with Conforto...  
mphbullet36 : 3/13/2018 11:01 am : link
Nimmo
Conforto
Cespedes
Bruce
Frazier
Cabrera
Rosario
TDA/Plawecki
Pitcher
I still donít see Bruce being moved to 1B full time  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 11:05 am : link
He might get a start or two there a week though. I do think Nimmo ends up with 400 atbats. These outfielders are all injury prone so hopefully they all get plenty of rest and we rotate guys in and out this year.
Sucks Smith got hurt after one at bat  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 11:06 am : link
AGone has been so bad that Smith might have realistically won the position outright with a good showing.
RE: I still donít see Bruce being moved to 1B full time  
mphbullet36 : 3/13/2018 11:09 am : link
In comment 13861618 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
He might get a start or two there a week though. I do think Nimmo ends up with 400 atbats. These outfielders are all injury prone so hopefully they all get plenty of rest and we rotate guys in and out this year.


why? he projects more as a 1B because he doesn't cover much ground in the OF. On top of that Nimmo is our only legit leadoff hitter. How can you not have him in the lineup.

I assume conforto will probably take the first month off since just to make sure his shoulder is ok. But that will be enough time to prove Adrian Gonzalez was a worthless pickup. He's old, has no bat speed, and a back that is about to go. You need to get your best lineup in there and it actually improves the defense as well getting nimmo and lagares in CF and moving conforto to a corner spot which he projects more as.
RE: Doesnít just stink on laper  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 11:11 am : link
In comment 13861599 Shecky said:
Quote:
It stinks on grass and dirt too


Youíre boy is killing it this spring. Lol. Could this finally be the year?
RE: RE: I still donít see Bruce being moved to 1B full time  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 11:14 am : link
In comment 13861642 mphbullet36 said:
Quote:
In comment 13861618 ZGiants98 said:


Quote:


He might get a start or two there a week though. I do think Nimmo ends up with 400 atbats. These outfielders are all injury prone so hopefully they all get plenty of rest and we rotate guys in and out this year.



why? he projects more as a 1B because he doesn't cover much ground in the OF. On top of that Nimmo is our only legit leadoff hitter. How can you not have him in the lineup.

I assume conforto will probably take the first month off since just to make sure his shoulder is ok. But that will be enough time to prove Adrian Gonzalez was a worthless pickup. He's old, has no bat speed, and a back that is about to go. You need to get your best lineup in there and it actually improves the defense as well getting nimmo and lagares in CF and moving conforto to a corner spot which he projects more as.


Because Bruce has very little experience there and I doubt they are ready to commit to blocking Smith full time. A Gone was just a little insurance/motivation for Smith IMO so itís really Nimmo VS Smith not Nimmo VS A Gone long term. With all the injuries in the OF Iím betting it works out and everyone gets play there so itís not a big deal.
Great news about Conforto  
PatchoguePete : 3/13/2018 11:14 am : link
I wouldn't rush him back though. Stick to the program and time frame. We all know what happens with the Mets and injuries.
Any guesses?  
pjcas18 : 3/13/2018 11:19 am : link
I'll say flesh eating bacteria and he has no face. Out indefinitely.

Quote:

Mike Puma
‏Verified account @NYPost_Mets
21s22 seconds ago

Cespedes scratched from the lineup. Stay tuned.
Supposedly Conforto has already been taking  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 11:21 am : link
50 swings a day. I say let him go. If heís in games next week, let him head north. Whatís the difference if heís taking 4-5 atbats in the minors or majors?

I know he probably will end up going to some sort of extended rehab but I wouldnít hold him back too much.
RE: Any guesses?  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 11:22 am : link
In comment 13861679 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
I'll say flesh eating bacteria and he has no face. Out indefinitely.



Quote:



Mike Puma
‏Verified account @NYPost_Mets
21s22 seconds ago

Cespedes scratched from the lineup. Stay tuned.




Wonderful.
I love this approach  
pjcas18 : 3/13/2018 11:28 am : link
Quote:

Mathew Brownstein
‏ @MBrownstein89
2h2 hours ago

Mathew Brownstein Retweeted Kevin Kernan

ďEiland then made his point crystal clear.

ďThere is one stat I hope we lead the league in & thatís hit batters,íí he said.

Consider yourself warned.

ďNot because weíre trying to hit guys, weíre not head-hunting,íí Eiland said. ďItís because we are pitching them off the plateĒ
RE: Supposedly Conforto has already been taking  
mphbullet36 : 3/13/2018 11:42 am : link
In comment 13861688 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
50 swings a day. I say let him go. If heís in games next week, let him head north. Whatís the difference if heís taking 4-5 atbats in the minors or majors?

I know he probably will end up going to some sort of extended rehab but I wouldnít hold him back too much.


so lets say he does go north and all the OF's are healthy what do you do since you aren't "comfortable" with Bruce as a full time 1B.

You can't not have nimmo in the lineup he's been our most potent bat in spring training he looks like he's on track for a big year.

I get they might all stay healthy but we need to at least have the conversation. Who sits?
RE: Any guesses?  
arcarsenal : 3/13/2018 11:47 am : link
In comment 13861679 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
I'll say flesh eating bacteria and he has no face. Out indefinitely.



Quote:



Mike Puma
‏Verified account @NYPost_Mets
21s22 seconds ago

Cespedes scratched from the lineup. Stay tuned.




Shocker.
Sore wrist  
KWhite2250 : 3/13/2018 12:05 pm : link
Day to day according to wfan. And wright no baseball activities for 8 weeks(if anyone still cares)
The sky is falling  
Shecky : 3/13/2018 12:12 pm : link
THE SKYYYYYY IS FALLING
Holy shit, Wright man I feel bad for this guy  
pjcas18 : 3/13/2018 12:14 pm : link
Wrightís injured?  
Shecky : 3/13/2018 12:19 pm : link
When did that happen?
RE: RE: Supposedly Conforto has already been taking  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 12:21 pm : link
In comment 13861792 mphbullet36 said:
Quote:
In comment 13861688 ZGiants98 said:


Quote:


50 swings a day. I say let him go. If heís in games next week, let him head north. Whatís the difference if heís taking 4-5 atbats in the minors or majors?

I know he probably will end up going to some sort of extended rehab but I wouldnít hold him back too much.



so lets say he does go north and all the OF's are healthy what do you do since you aren't "comfortable" with Bruce as a full time 1B.

You can't not have nimmo in the lineup he's been our most potent bat in spring training he looks like he's on track for a big year.

I get they might all stay healthy but we need to at least have the conversation. Who sits?


I give Bruce, Conforto, and Cespedes each one day off a week in the OF and I move Bruce to 1B one day a week also. That gives Nimmo 4 starts out of 6 a week assuming perfect health which wonít happen all year anyway.
Shecky I know the injury updates are bothersome to you  
pjcas18 : 3/13/2018 12:44 pm : link
but when you consider the decimation the past few years not sure why you find fans reactions to the reports of injuries surprising.

Thor: 7 starts in 2017

deGrom: more than 30 starts once in his career. he's 30 in June.

Harvey: 17 and 19 starts the past two seasons

Cespy: 81 games played last year

Matz: 13 starts in 2017

and that doesn't consider Wright, Walker, Cabrera, Familia, etc.

Mets fans are going to worry about any injury, because many of those above started out with a "sore wrist"

you should just get used to it. Or not.
PJ  
Shecky : 3/13/2018 1:06 pm : link
BBI = the boy who cried injury

I hear you. And youíre right. Poking more fun at the writers, because fans will follow the lead of how the media reacts. Team is being VERY open, honest and steady with their constant public updates on every and any little nick. Iím fine with it, but personally I prefer a more Nelicheck, keep it on house approach. Problem is the people at the top wanted to keep it in house, yet publicly appear like they are being open an honest. It backfires badly when you lie while trying to be open and honest lol
.  
arcarsenal : 3/13/2018 1:10 pm : link
Another day Thor pitches, another day the game is not televised.

Very annoying. All 4 times now.
RE: .  
Shecky : 3/13/2018 1:16 pm : link
In comment 13862117 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
Another day Thor pitches, another day the game is not televised.

Very annoying. All 4 times now.


That will make opening day that much more of a special treat
RE: RE: .  
arcarsenal : 3/13/2018 1:19 pm : link
In comment 13862144 Shecky said:
Quote:
In comment 13862117 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


Another day Thor pitches, another day the game is not televised.

Very annoying. All 4 times now.



That will make opening day that much more of a special treat


As long as his arm doesn't need amputation before then! ;)
bruce better get that 1B glove...  
mphbullet36 : 3/13/2018 1:27 pm : link
nimmo with another bomb!
Nimmo with another HR  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 1:35 pm : link
Thor throwing 99. Yawn. Lol
Thatís how the elite do it  
Shecky : 3/13/2018 1:43 pm : link
Get in trouble, but zero damage
Dilson  
DanMetroMan : 3/13/2018 3:36 pm : link
Herrera cleared waivers. Man he's fallen.
RE: Dilson  
pjcas18 : 3/13/2018 3:42 pm : link
In comment 13862543 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
Herrera cleared waivers. Man he's fallen.


What happened? Was it the shoulder injury? Shoulder injuries are devastating to baseball players.
.  
arcarsenal : 3/13/2018 4:07 pm : link
Yet another loss today. Dead last in all of baseball.

A lot of the guys pitching later in games are giving up bunches of runs, too.
Mets getting calls  
pjcas18 : 3/13/2018 4:16 pm : link
on Lagares (at least one AL team interested) per Mike Puma and then this from Brownstein:

Quote:

Mathew Brownstein
‏ @MBrownstein89
46s47 seconds ago

Mathew Brownstein Retweeted Mike Puma

"According to industry sources, the #Mets have received recent phone calls about the former Gold Glove winner & havenít ruled out the idea of trading him. The trade buzz comes as Brandon Nimmo has emerged in camp as the potential fourth outfielder once Michael Conforto returns."
T minus two hours and forty five minutes  
Shecky : 3/13/2018 4:21 pm : link
For those looking to get a double dose of pain today...
RE: .  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 4:31 pm : link
In comment 13862629 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
Yet another loss today. Dead last in all of baseball.

A lot of the guys pitching later in games are giving up bunches of runs, too.


Do wins and losses matter? We had like 2-3 starting players in the lineup today. Bruce had two hits. Nimmo hit a HR. Thor pitched well. Todayís a success IMO.
Callaway  
pjcas18 : 3/13/2018 4:34 pm : link
names Thor opening day starter, deGrom game 2.

I'd like to see Noah start and remain the opening day starter the next decade.

this will be his 2nd consecutive opening day start.

Seaver had 10 in a row and then I think next most is Gooden with 4. Gooden had 8 total.
Iím actually anxious to start seeing the actual team together  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 4:35 pm : link
Seems like the SP are going longer but we havenít come close to seeing a full lineup together. We finally re-assigned some guys (hopefully more soon) so the next couple of weeks should get more interesting.
Time to send guys like  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 4:36 pm : link
Tebow packing...
Unless z shows up  
Shecky : 3/13/2018 4:36 pm : link
I plan to overwhelm with optimism during tonightís game...
RE: RE: .  
arcarsenal : 3/13/2018 4:38 pm : link
In comment 13862699 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
In comment 13862629 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


Yet another loss today. Dead last in all of baseball.

A lot of the guys pitching later in games are giving up bunches of runs, too.



Do wins and losses matter? We had like 2-3 starting players in the lineup today. Bruce had two hits. Nimmo hit a HR. Thor pitched well. Todayís a success IMO.


No, but it's the way we're losing.

It seems like the starter comes in and pitches alright and then the bullpen guys who come in later in the game give up tons of runs and we lose.

Not all of these guys will be coming out of the pen in games that matter - but I still think we're going to have bullpen problems again this year

We're also not scoring many runs or hitting much in general.
RE: Unless z shows up  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 4:39 pm : link
In comment 13862710 Shecky said:
Quote:
I plan to overwhelm with optimism during tonightís game...


I just might. Iím actually excited to see Wheeler take on the Nats. I would have never predicted it heading in, but he might be putting himself back in the rotation conversation.
RE: RE: RE: .  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 4:44 pm : link
In comment 13862713 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 13862699 ZGiants98 said:


Quote:


In comment 13862629 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


Yet another loss today. Dead last in all of baseball.

A lot of the guys pitching later in games are giving up bunches of runs, too.



Do wins and losses matter? We had like 2-3 starting players in the lineup today. Bruce had two hits. Nimmo hit a HR. Thor pitched well. Todayís a success IMO.



No, but it's the way we're losing.

It seems like the starter comes in and pitches alright and then the bullpen guys who come in later in the game give up tons of runs and we lose.

Not all of these guys will be coming out of the pen in games that matter - but I still think we're going to have bullpen problems again this year

We're also not scoring many runs or hitting much in general.


Just about everyone who came in out of the pen today is having a decent spring. You canít pay attention to what Jamie Callahan or a Purke are doing. They wonít be on the team. As for the lineup, TDA had a hit today too. The guys that need to be performing are. Cespedes, Bruce, Nimmo, the catchers, ect... we just arenít seeing them all together yet. Have to look for individual successes IMO.
AGone has blown though...  
ZGiants98 : 3/13/2018 4:46 pm : link
Iíd be tempted to cut him and still go with Smith even though Smith missed all of spring.
I'm surprised at the negativity around the lineup  
Eric on Li : 3/13/2018 4:50 pm : link
I'm actually excited to see Nimmo, Rosario and hopefully Plawecki get their opportunities over the first month.

We know what Cespedes is when healthy. Frazier and Bruce have been 2 of the more "know what you're gonna get" guys in baseball. Cabrera's also pretty steady.

It's not a terribly exciting lineup but it could be a lot worse. It wasn't so long ago Michael Cuddyer was hitting 5th on opening day.
RE: AGone has blown though...  
Eric on Li : 3/13/2018 4:52 pm : link
In comment 13862729 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
Iíd be tempted to cut him and still go with Smith even though Smith missed all of spring.


He has to be on a short leash. Can't give him more than a month if he's cooked.
Adam Lind expected to be released to day by the Yanks  
debo_GIANTS : 3/14/2018 11:07 am : link
The Mets should really act fast and scoop him up instead of waiting until May 15 to realize that A-gone is cooekd.
Back to the Corner